Japan Digital TV News
SKY Perfect JSAT to demonstrate 4K HDR via JCSAT-3A
Nov 4, 2015 – SKY Perfect JSAT has announced plans to transmit 4K HDR videos using its JCSAT-3A satellite. The demonstration will be shown at the International Broadcast Equipment Exhibition (Inter BEE), held November 18–20, 2015 at Makuhari Messe.
News categories: SKY Perfect, Shinji Takada, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Satellite
Google announces additional Android TV partners
Oct 1, 2015 – Google has said that Hisense and TCL have been added as Smart TV partners for Android TV. The company also announced that Pace, Sagemcom and Technicolor will manufacture set-top boxes, and that KDDI and Telecom Italia are planning to provide Pay TV services powered by Android TV.
News categories: Google, Digital TV, Italy, Japan, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Japanese cable TV companies to launch 4K Ultra HD channel
Sep 24, 2015 – The Japan Cable and Telecommunications Association has announced that 39 of its members have got together to launch a 4K Ultra HD channel. The channel, called 'Cable 4K' 「ケーブル 4K」, will begin broadcasting on December 1, 2015.
News categories: Japan Cable and Telecommunications Association, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan
MaxLinear MxL683 ISDB-T STB receiver shipments pass 10 million
Sep 9, 2015 – MaxLinear (NYSE: MXL) has said that it has sold more than 10 million MxL683 ISDB-T receivers, for use in set-top boxes, to operator and consumer markets in Brazil, Japan and the Philippines.
News categories: MaxLinear, Yves Rasse, Brazil, ISDB-T, Japan, Market Research, Philippines, SBTVD, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
SoftBank and Netflix Japan announce partnership
Aug 24, 2015 – SoftBank and Netflix have announced that SoftBank will offer an integrated Netflix experience when Netflix Japan launches. Customers will be able to sign-up using their Softbank account and have Netflix' monthly fee added to their bill.
News categories: Netflix, SoftBank, Digital TV, Japan, OTT
Harmonic powers Japan's first live Full-Frame 4K Ultra HD channel for EHIME CATV
Jul 28, 2015 – Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) has announced that Japanese cable TV operator EHIME CATV has deployed Harmonic’s Electra X3 media processor to support a trial of the country’s first live, full-frame 4K Ultra HD (UHD) channel.
News categories: Harmonic, EHIME CATV, Dario Choi, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBCShow, Infrastructure, Japan
MStar integrates Intertrust UHD security for TVs and STBs
Jul 15, 2015 – Intertrust has announced that MStar Semiconductor has integrated Intertrust's ExpressPlay UHD in MStar’s SoCs for 4K TVs, set-top boxes and OTT/IP boxes. ExpressPlay UHD is the most widely deployed DRM in China and the choice of initiatives in Japan and Europe.
News categories: Intertrust, MStar Semi, Kenny Huang, Wayne Tsai, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, Europe, Japan, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Asia Pacific SVOD homes to quadruple
Jul 9, 2015 – Digital TV Research has forecast 68.83 million SVOD homes in Asia by 2020, quadruple the 2014 total. Japan will remain the largest SVOD country with China overtaking South Korea to become the second largest country by SVOD homes in 2020.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Asia, Australia, China, Digital TV, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Netflix on track for 69.9 million subs by year-end
Jun 29, 2015 – Digital TV Research’s Global OTT TV & Video Forecasts report estimates that Netflix will have 69.90 million paying subscribers by end-2015, up by 28% from 54.48 million at end-2014.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latin America, Luxembourg, Market Research, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, OTT, Portugal, Spain, Subscribers, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, USA
- Russia's Express-AM8 satellite starts broadcasting
- Espial contributes HLS and DASH software to the RDK
- ACCESS NetFront Browser powers Pixsan Universal Television Kit
- Actions Semi impacted by China's new OTT STB policy
- EVIO Polska selects ABOX42 SmartSTB for fibre TV
- Mexico adds 437,000 pay TV subscribers in 2Q 2015
- PEMRA shortlists 8 companies in DTH licence tender
- 221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
- EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
- SkyVision launches satellite TV platforms for Africa
- 4K TVs to reach 23% market penetration in 2016
- PS4 sales surpass 30.2 million units worldwide
- Mariner xVu now monitoring over 30 million devices
- Venezuela's Pay TV subscribers up 146,000 in 2Q 2015
- Kyivstar launches IPTV across its FTTB network in Ukraine
- O2 Czech Republic introduces OTT set-top box
- 57% of Western European households own at least one connected CE device
- Active DTH subscribers in India fell 1.41 million in 2Q 2015
- V-Nova powers Real Madrid vs. Barcelona UltraHD broadcast
- FLIX.TV acquires satellite broadcasting licence in the Czech Republic