Japan Digital TV News
Netflix to launch in Japan
Feb 4, 2015 – Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) has announced that it will expand this autumn into Japan, as it moves to complete its global rollout by the end of 2016. The rollout will follow the March expansion of the Netflix service into Australia and New Zealand.
News categories: Netflix, Reed Hastings, Gregory K. Peters, Digital TV, Japan, OTT
Japan's digital video market achieves 31% growth
Jan 30, 2015 – Digital video has struggled to take hold in Japan, but is beginning to gain traction, achieving 31% growth in 2014 to reach ¥81 billion ($670 million), according to research from Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Joanna Wright, Digital TV, Japan, Market Research
Vietnam and Japan plan workshop on smart TV
Jan 16, 2015 – Vietnam's Ministry of Information and Communications and Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications hosted a Vietnam-Japan policy dialogue on information and communications technology (ICT) in Hanoi on January 16, 2015.
News categories: Ministry of Information and Communications, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Japan, Smart TV, Terrestrial, Vietnam
Panasonic shows next generation Blu-ray disc player prototype at CES 2015
Jan 5, 2015 – Panasonic has announced that it has developed the world's first Blu-ray Disc™ player supporting technologies such as 4K and High Dynamic Range, which are expected to be adopted in the next generation Blu-ray Disc standard (ULTRA HD BLU-RAY™).
News categories: Panasonic, Blu-ray, CES2015, Digital TV, Japan, Worldwide
MobiTV selected for TV Bank multiscreen service in Japan
Nov 17, 2014 – MobiTV and TV Bank have announced a partnership to leverage MobiTV's software-based platform and NetDVR (nDVR) technology to extend TV services across screens. The service will enable a robust entertainment experience on connected devices.
News categories: MobiTV, TV Bank, Charlie Nooney, Tomotaka Nakagawa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT
Softbank launches BBTV Next streaming TV service
Nov 17, 2014 – Softbank subsidiary TV Bank has announced the launch of BBTV Next in Japan. The service is available via apps for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones as well as using a PC.
News categories: Softbank, TV Bank, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT
Broadband now in more than 700 million homes worldwide
Oct 6, 2014 – The latest milestone in the relentless march of high speed internet access was passed at the end of June this year as the total number of households with a broadband line came to 700.2 million.
News categories: Point Topic, Oliver Johnson, Brazil, Broadband, China, Digital TV, France, Germany, IPTV, Japan, Korea, Market Research, Mexico, OTT, Russia, Subscribers, UK, USA
ViXS powers Toshiba 4K TVs with SKY PerfectTV!
Oct 6, 2014 – ViXS Systems (TSX: VXS) has announced that Toshiba's new line of Ultra HD-4K TVs, powered by the ViXS XCode 6400, will support the new SKY Perfect JSAT UHD 4K broadcast service, which has been operational since June 2014.
News categories: ViXS Systems, Toshiba, SKY Perfect JSAT, Sally Daub, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor, Smart TV
U-NEXT selects INSIDE Secure DRM for Android and iOS devices
Oct 2, 2014 – INSIDE Secure has announced that U-NEXT, one of Japan’s largest providers of video, movie and animated content, has selected INSIDE’s Downloadable DRM Fusion product for content protection on Android and iOS based devices.
News categories: INSIDE Secure, U-NEXT, Martin Bergenwall, Tsutsumi Tenshin, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT, Smartphone, Tablet
- Pembroke Advanced Communications upgrades IPTV with Inca Networks
- T-Mobile launches mobile TV with Allegro DVT transcoders
- MEASAT and partners demo hybrid DVB-S2X/DVB-T2 4K 60p transmission system
- Broadcom adds two Ultra HD SoCs with MoCA 2.0
- Orion Telekom launches IPTV in Serbia with Cambium Networks
- Ericsson enables Tata Sky 4K video service
- Silicon Image introduces USB type-C port controllers with MHL Alt Mode
- Telstra deploys Ericsson LTE Broadcast to enable video-centric applications
- MediaTek announces ARM Cortex-A72-based tablet SoC
- Optus and Nokia trial video distribution by local base stations
- 2D-to-3D conversion software success for ETRI and NHNZ
- India consults on DTH set-top box interoperability
- Pay DTT up 52% year-on-year in Croatia
- Rostelecom goes multiscreen with SmartLabs
- Exset DMS integrated with DTV Research STBs
- EUTELSAT 115 West B satellite gears up for launch
- Deutsche Telekom adds 109,000 TV customers in 4Q 2014
- Frontier Communications to deploy co-branded versions of TiVo's products and services
- South Africa plans to migrate to digital 'within 2 years'
- TDS Telecom adds 4,000 TV subscribers in 4Q 2014