Japan Digital TV News
SiTune creates first tuner supporting Japan's 8K TV satellite standard
Jan 8, 2016 – SiTune has announced the STN6528, the first tuner capable of supporting the new Advanced Wide Band Digital Satellite Broadcasting Standard (ARIB STD-B44) for broadcasting 8K digital television (TV) via satellite.
News categories: SiTune, Ben Runyan, CES2016, Digital TV, ICs, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor, Smart TV
Panasonic develops single cable transmission solution for uncompressed 8K video
Jan 5, 2016 – Panasonic has announced that it has developed single cable and connector solution that enable the transmission of uncompressed full-spec 8K video signals. Currently, to transmit 8K video, 4K-equivalent images are transmitted using four HDMI cables, and these are then re-combined to give 8K resolution.
News categories: Panasonic, Keio University, CES2016, Digital TV, Japan, Worldwide
SKY Perfect JSAT to demonstrate 4K HDR via JCSAT-3A
Nov 4, 2015 – SKY Perfect JSAT has announced plans to transmit 4K HDR videos using its JCSAT-3A satellite. The demonstration will be shown at the International Broadcast Equipment Exhibition (Inter BEE), held November 18–20, 2015 at Makuhari Messe.
News categories: SKY Perfect, Shinji Takada, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Satellite
Google announces additional Android TV partners
Oct 1, 2015 – Google has said that Hisense and TCL have been added as Smart TV partners for Android TV. The company also announced that Pace, Sagemcom and Technicolor will manufacture set-top boxes, and that KDDI and Telecom Italia are planning to provide Pay TV services powered by Android TV.
News categories: Google, Digital TV, Italy, Japan, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Japanese cable TV companies to launch 4K Ultra HD channel
Sep 24, 2015 – The Japan Cable and Telecommunications Association has announced that 39 of its members have got together to launch a 4K Ultra HD channel. The channel, called 'Cable 4K' 「ケーブル 4K」, will begin broadcasting on December 1, 2015.
News categories: Japan Cable and Telecommunications Association, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan
MaxLinear MxL683 ISDB-T STB receiver shipments pass 10 million
Sep 9, 2015 – MaxLinear (NYSE: MXL) has said that it has sold more than 10 million MxL683 ISDB-T receivers, for use in set-top boxes, to operator and consumer markets in Brazil, Japan and the Philippines.
News categories: MaxLinear, Yves Rasse, Brazil, ISDB-T, Japan, Market Research, Philippines, SBTVD, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
SoftBank and Netflix Japan announce partnership
Aug 24, 2015 – SoftBank and Netflix have announced that SoftBank will offer an integrated Netflix experience when Netflix Japan launches. Customers will be able to sign-up using their Softbank account and have Netflix' monthly fee added to their bill.
News categories: Netflix, SoftBank, Digital TV, Japan, OTT
Harmonic powers Japan's first live Full-Frame 4K Ultra HD channel for EHIME CATV
Jul 28, 2015 – Harmonic (NASDAQ: HLIT) has announced that Japanese cable TV operator EHIME CATV has deployed Harmonic’s Electra X3 media processor to support a trial of the country’s first live, full-frame 4K Ultra HD (UHD) channel.
News categories: Harmonic, EHIME CATV, Dario Choi, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBCShow, Infrastructure, Japan
MStar integrates Intertrust UHD security for TVs and STBs
Jul 15, 2015 – Intertrust has announced that MStar Semiconductor has integrated Intertrust's ExpressPlay UHD in MStar’s SoCs for 4K TVs, set-top boxes and OTT/IP boxes. ExpressPlay UHD is the most widely deployed DRM in China and the choice of initiatives in Japan and Europe.
News categories: Intertrust, MStar Semi, Kenny Huang, Wayne Tsai, China, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, Europe, Japan, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
- TiVo to provide software and services to Buckeye CableSystem
- Cinemax debuts on Sling TV
- Grundig counts on NetRange’s TV Portal
- 'hayu' SVOD service to launch in UK, Ireland and Australia
- 800,000 subscribers for HBO Now
- Broadcom unveils cable STB Full Band Capture receivers
- Millicom Cable RGUs up 5.9% in 2015
- América Móvil adds 158,000 Pay TV units in 2015
- Telekom Austria A1 TV subscribers up 7% in 2015
- Strong growth ahead for OTT services in Argentina, Brazil and Mexico
- Sky Q goes on sale in the UK and Ireland
- Com Hem adds 4,000 digital TV subscribers in 4Q 2015
- Recommendation-driven guides to drive 75% of TV viewing
- EUTELSAT 65 West A to launch on 9 March
- Russia's NTV-Plus to move completely to MPEG-4
- SES-9 launch expected on February 24, 2016
- HIGH TV 4K launches in India on digital TV platforms
- Mexico adds 437,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2015
- 81% of US households have a DVR, Netflix, or use VOD
- Spain's Pay TV subscribers down 44,000 in 2Q 2015