Japan Digital TV News
134 million digital TV homes to be added in 2015
May 20, 2015 – The number of digital TV homes worldwide will increase by more than 1 billion between 2010 and 2020 to 1.65 billion – or up by 180%, according to Digital TV Research. The total will climb by 134 million homes in 2015 alone.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Asia, Brazil, China, Digital TV, Europe, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Latin America, Market Research, Mexico, Middle-East, North America, Russia, USA, Worldwide
Fujitsu and Panasonic SoC businesses become Socionext
Mar 2, 2015 – Socionext has announced the start of operations. The organization has completed the consolidation of the system LSI businesses of Fujitsu and Panasonic, and secured an investment from the Development Bank of Japan.
News categories: Socionext, Yasuo Nishiguchi, Amane Inoue, Europe, Japan, M&A, Semiconductor, USA, Worldwide
Nippon TV and Newtec carry out world's first DVB-S2X 256APSK transmission
Mar 2, 2015 – The world’s first DVB-S2X 256APSK satellite transmission has been successfully completed by Japan-based Nippon TV with Newtec technology. The trial saw Nippon TV transmit 5MHz bandwidth with a 256APSK carrier from an SNG truck to the Superbird-B2 satellite.
News categories: Newtec, Nippon TV, Dirk Breynaert, Tetsuo Makino, Digital TV, DVB-S2, Infrastructure, Japan, Satellite
Netflix to launch in Japan
Feb 4, 2015 – Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) has announced that it will expand this autumn into Japan, as it moves to complete its global rollout by the end of 2016. The rollout will follow the March expansion of the Netflix service into Australia and New Zealand.
News categories: Netflix, Reed Hastings, Gregory K. Peters, Digital TV, Japan, OTT
Japan's digital video market achieves 31% growth
Jan 30, 2015 – Digital video has struggled to take hold in Japan, but is beginning to gain traction, achieving 31% growth in 2014 to reach ¥81 billion ($670 million), according to research from Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Joanna Wright, Digital TV, Japan, Market Research
Vietnam and Japan plan workshop on smart TV
Jan 16, 2015 – Vietnam's Ministry of Information and Communications and Japan's Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications hosted a Vietnam-Japan policy dialogue on information and communications technology (ICT) in Hanoi on January 16, 2015.
News categories: Ministry of Information and Communications, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Japan, Smart TV, Terrestrial, Vietnam
Panasonic shows next generation Blu-ray disc player prototype at CES 2015
Jan 5, 2015 – Panasonic has announced that it has developed the world's first Blu-ray Disc™ player supporting technologies such as 4K and High Dynamic Range, which are expected to be adopted in the next generation Blu-ray Disc standard (ULTRA HD BLU-RAY™).
News categories: Panasonic, Blu-ray, CES, Digital TV, Japan, Worldwide
MobiTV selected for TV Bank multiscreen service in Japan
Nov 17, 2014 – MobiTV and TV Bank have announced a partnership to leverage MobiTV's software-based platform and NetDVR (nDVR) technology to extend TV services across screens. The service will enable a robust entertainment experience on connected devices.
News categories: MobiTV, TV Bank, Charlie Nooney, Tomotaka Nakagawa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT
Softbank launches BBTV Next streaming TV service
Nov 17, 2014 – Softbank subsidiary TV Bank has announced the launch of BBTV Next in Japan. The service is available via apps for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones as well as using a PC.
News categories: Softbank, TV Bank, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT
- IPTV revenues in Canada up 39% in 2014
- Pay TV providers embrace OTT video and 'skinny' bundles
- 58% of Canadian broadband households have access to online video on their TV set
- Sling TV releases App for Android TV
- ALi and Mware integrate STB IPTV OTT middleware
- Europe's first FTA Ultra HD channel to launch on Astra at 19.2°E
- Altice enters the US market with acquisition of Suddenlink
- 134 million digital TV homes to be added in 2015
- Vodafone ends Q1 with 9.1 million TV customers in Europe
- GatesAir prepares Brazil's Rede VTV for transition to DTT
- Russian pay TV subscribers reached 37.6 million at end-2014
- Connected TVs to drive OTT subscription surge
- LATTO and Verimatrix partner on secure OTT monetization platform
- 37,000 IPTV customers for eircom
- Belarus completes switch to digital television
- 70% of Ultra HD TVs to feature HDR or other enhancements by 2020
- OTT video 'account sharing' prevalent in the U.S.
- Singapore's StarHub adds 3k subscribers in 1Q 2015
- Panasonic launches first Firefox OS-based TVs
- Orange Slovakia launches VOD with Banaxi