Japan Digital TV News
SKY PerfecTV! loses 95,000 subscribers in 2013
Feb 6, 2014 – SKY Perfect JSAT Group has released results for the quarter ending December 31, 2013. The company finished the year with a total of 3.706 million pay TV subscribers, 95 thousand down from 3.801 million at the end of 2012.
News categories: SKY PerfecTV, IPTV, Japan, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
Rovi to launch HTML5 Electronic Program Guide for J:COM
Jan 31, 2014 – Rovi (NASDAQ: ROVI) has announced that its G-Guide HTML is planned to be launched on the new set-top box 'Smart J:COM Box' developed by Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM) in Japan.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Jupiter Telecommunications, Kazumasa Watanabe, Chong-Ho Choi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan, Middleware, Set Top Box
Smart J:COM Box launches in Japan
Jan 20, 2014 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM, JASDAQ: 4817), the largest MSO in Japan, has announced the launch of its J:COM Smart Box set-top box.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan, Set Top Box
Elemental to power Japan’s first 4K/HEVC real-time streaming trial
Oct 23, 2013 – Elemental Technologies has announced that K-Opticom, a telecommunications operator in Japan, will use Elemental video processing for the country’s first live 4K Ultra HD high-efficiency video coding (H.265/HEVC) transmission.
News categories: Elemental Technologies, K-Opticom, Takao Fujino, Keith Wymbs, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Media Player, OTT
INSIDE Secure protects content in Pixela Android set-top box for J:COM
Sep 17, 2013 – INSIDE Secure has announced that its downloadable DRM Fusion Agent™ software is being used by Pixela to meet content protection requirements for the new Android™-based set-top box (STB) developed for J:COM, Japan's largest cable TV provider.
News categories: INSIDE Secure, Pixela, Jupiter Telecommunications, Motoyuki Ikeda, Simon Blake-Wilson, Cable TV, Digital TV, DRM, Japan, OTT, Set Top Box
Entropic SoC powers J:COM IP-VOD set-top box
Sep 13, 2013 – PIXELA and Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR) have announced that J:COM has unveiled its first IP-based Video-on-Demand (VOD) set-top box (STB) using an Entropic-powered PIXELA solution. The new device will be demonstrated this week at IBC.
News categories: Entropic, PIXELA, J:COM, Masato Matsuura, Hiroshi Fujioka, Roger Gregory, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBCShow, Japan, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
J:COM announces June 2013 subscriber figures
Jul 19, 2013 – Jupiter Telecommunications (J:COM, JASDAQ: 4817), the largest MSO in Japan, has announced that the total subscribing households as of June 30, 2013 served by J:COM's subsidiaries reached 3.78 million, up 94,100 or 2.6% from June 30, 2012.
News categories: Jupiter Telecommunications, Cable TV, Japan, Subscribers
Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
Jun 18, 2013 – Verimatrix has announced that NTT Plala, a major Japanese Internet service provider, will deploy the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) to secure Hikari-TV for smartphones. Hikari-TV is the largest Internet TV service available in Japan.
News categories: Verimatrix, NTT Plala, CommunicAsia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT, Smartphone
NHK and Mitsubishi Develop World's First HEVC Encoder for 8K Super Hi-Vision
May 9, 2013 – NHK and Mitsubishi have jointly developed the world's first HEVC encoder for 8K ultra HDTV 'Super Hi-Vision' (SHV). The HEVC encoder will be displayed at the NHK Science & Technology Research Laboratories Open House 2013, which will take place from May 30th to June 2nd.
News categories: Mitsubishi, NHK, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan
- ALi ATSC SoC designed-in by Funai for Mexico STB
- Altech UEC manufactures 20 millionth set-top box
- Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
- Ecuador adds 443 thousand pay TV subscribers in 2013
- Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
- Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
- DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
- Roku announces HDMI Roku Streaming Stick
- Philippines' CignalTV subscribers pass 600,000 in 2013
- Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland drop 57,600 in 2013
- Pace preliminary results for the year ended 31 December 2013
- Chunghwa Telecom launches TVs with MOD IPTV integrated
- ZTE ranked no. 1 in IPTV middleware, VOD and STBs
- DISH secures rights to Disney, ABC & ESPN content for OTT service
- CableLabs & Cisco open IPTV Innovations Lab
- Mobistar selects Viaccess-Orca CA to secure cable TV services
- FreeviewPlus for Australia unveiled
- Malawi issues tender for supply of DVB-T2 STBs
- Two-in-five Pay TV households to have STB apps by 2019
- České Radiokomunikace to extend DVB-T2 trial to cover Ultra HD