Japan Digital TV News
MobiTV selected for TV Bank multiscreen service in Japan
Nov 17, 2014 – MobiTV and TV Bank have announced a partnership to leverage MobiTV's software-based platform and NetDVR (nDVR) technology to extend TV services across screens. The service will enable a robust entertainment experience on connected devices.
News categories: MobiTV, TV Bank, Charlie Nooney, Tomotaka Nakagawa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT
Softbank launches BBTV Next streaming TV service
Nov 17, 2014 – Softbank subsidiary TV Bank has announced the launch of BBTV Next in Japan. The service is available via apps for iPhone, iPad and Android smartphones as well as using a PC.
News categories: Softbank, TV Bank, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT
Broadband now in more than 700 million homes worldwide
Oct 6, 2014 – The latest milestone in the relentless march of high speed internet access was passed at the end of June this year as the total number of households with a broadband line came to 700.2 million.
News categories: Point Topic, Oliver Johnson, Brazil, Broadband, China, Digital TV, France, Germany, IPTV, Japan, Korea, Market Research, Mexico, OTT, Russia, Subscribers, UK, USA
ViXS powers Toshiba 4K TVs with SKY PerfectTV!
Oct 6, 2014 – ViXS Systems (TSX: VXS) has announced that Toshiba's new line of Ultra HD-4K TVs, powered by the ViXS XCode 6400, will support the new SKY Perfect JSAT UHD 4K broadcast service, which has been operational since June 2014.
News categories: ViXS Systems, Toshiba, SKY Perfect JSAT, Sally Daub, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor, Smart TV
U-NEXT selects INSIDE Secure DRM for Android and iOS devices
Oct 2, 2014 – INSIDE Secure has announced that U-NEXT, one of Japan’s largest providers of video, movie and animated content, has selected INSIDE’s Downloadable DRM Fusion product for content protection on Android and iOS based devices.
News categories: INSIDE Secure, U-NEXT, Martin Bergenwall, Tsutsumi Tenshin, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Multiscreen, OTT, Smartphone, Tablet
SKY Perfect JSAT to offer two 4K channels from March 1, 2015
Sep 25, 2014 – SKY Perfect JSAT has announced that it will begin broadcasting two new channels, the world's first dedicated 4K channels, on the SKY PerfecTV! Premium Service on Sunday, March 1, 2015.
News categories: SKY Perfect JSAT, NexTV-F, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
Coreworks develops audio IP core for Ultra HD SoCs
Sep 23, 2014 – Coreworks has announced that it has now completed the development of an audio encoding system to support multiple audio formats and multiple audio streams for the next generation of UHDTV, known as 8K UHDTV.
News categories: Coreworks, Spinnaker Systems, Fernando Gonçalves, Japan, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
ULDAGE announces call for patents essential to Ultra HD
Aug 25, 2014 – ULDAGE has made a call for patents essential to the 4K and 8K Ultra High-Definition Television (UHDTV) standards. The aim is to create a one-stop patent license to serve to promote the UHDTV market in Japan.
News categories: ULDAGE, Digital TV, Japan, Patent
NHK to show high frame rate 8K television at IBC 2014
Aug 8, 2014 – At IBC2014, Japanese public broadcaster NHK will once more demonstrate its 8k Super Hi-Vision television system, including the latest enhancements such as high frame rate resolution.
News categories: NHK, Dr Sugawara, Michael Crimp, Europe, IBCShow, Japan, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Digital UK awards contracts to build Freeview connected TV service
- Antik Telecom hybrid satellite TV service to commence in 1Q 2015
- Global TV shipments rebound in 3Q 2014
- 100 million with Fiber-to-the-Home in Asia-Pacific
- European OTT market to experience rapid growth by 2017
- DOCSIS channel shipments up 95% YoY in 3Q 2014
- Inca Networks powers Hamilton Telecommunications IPTV service
- UltraFlix 4K streaming launches on Samsung UHD TVs
- South Indian MSOs to form Federation
- Cable loses market share as Dutch turn to IPTV
- ITU approves H.265/HEVC second edition standard
- EMT/Elion launches minuTV OTT TV in Estonia
- ChungHwa Telecom planning OTT version of its MOD TV service
- Video traffic expected to reach 65% of mobile data within 5 years
- Zenterio integrates Ekioh HTML5 browser
- Amazon Instant Video grows internet traffic share in the U.S.
- Teleste headend for Arganet IPTV in Brazil
- HBO GO launches on Xbox One in U.S.
- OTT pay TV revenue to hit $10 billion in 2018
- Eight new broadcasters apply for DTT licences in Kenya