Europe Digital TV News
Digital TV Research provides Netflix subscriber split by country
Jul 24, 2014 – Digital TV Research has made estimates of the number of subscribers that Netflix has in the countries in which it operates. At the end of June, the top two international markets for Netflix were the UK and Canada.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Ireland, Latin America, Market Research, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, OTT, Subscribers, Sweden, UK, USA
Vega launches IPTV service in Ukraine
Jul 23, 2014 – Ukrainian telecommunications company, Vega Telecommunications Group, has launched an IPTV service called Vega TV. The service offers up to 136 Ukrainian and foreign channels, in both standard and high definition.
News categories: Vega Telecom, OLL.TV, Media Group Ukraine, Digital TV, IPTV, Ukraine
Satellite TV revenues to reach $100 billion
Jul 23, 2014 – Satellite TV revenues will reach $99.9 billion in 2020, up from $87.8 billion in 2013 and $69.3 billion in 2010, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Asia, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, Satellite, Subscribers, Worldwide
UK's YouView plans expansion
Jul 22, 2014 – YouView has announced the completion of an agreement which guarantees five years of funding by all of its seven shareholders. YouView has passed over 1 million connected UK homes in less than 18 months since its marketing launch.
News categories: YouView, Richard Halton, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Netflix adds 1.69 million members in 2Q 2014
Jul 22, 2014 – Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) has released its second-quarter 2014 financial results. The U.S. member base grew to more than 36 million. Outside the U.S. the company ended Q2 with 13.8 million members, growing 78% y/y.
News categories: Netflix, Cable TV, Europe, Latin America, Middleware, Results, Set Top Box, Subscribers, USA
Crnogorski Telekom adds catch-up TV feature
Jul 18, 2014 – Crnogorski Telekom (CT) has announced the addition of catch-up tv to its Extra TV IPTV service. Customers can now view, at any time and at no extra charge, content broadcast over the previous 48 hours.
News categories: Crnogorski Telekom, Infrastructure, IPTV, Montenegro
BBC R&D showcases broadcasting technology at the Commonwealth Games
Jul 18, 2014 – BBC R&D has announced a range of new trials and public demonstrations as part of its Commonwealth Games Showcase. Events include broadcasting in Ultra-HD and live coverage over a 4G mobile network.
News categories: BBC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, LTE, UK
DTT share grows in Poland in 1H 2014
Jul 17, 2014 – According to Nielsen Audience Measurement, the share of households watching digital terrestrial television in Poland grew from 30.3% to 33.3% during the first half of 2014, largely taking share from cable TV which fell from a share of 33% to 30.8%.
News categories: Nielsen, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, Poland, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Bell Labs opens video research facility in Cambridge, UK
Jul 17, 2014 – Bell Labs (Paris; NYSE: ALU) has opened a new 'antenna' office in Cambridge, UK tasked with research into real-time delivery of video to all types of connected devices, such as smartphones, games consoles, tablets, Smart TVs, and more.
News categories: Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent, Marcus Weldon, Bo Olofsson, Paul Larbey, Games Console, Infrastructure, IPTV, OTT, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, UK
- Thailand's NBTC proposes ฿690 DTT receiver subsidy coupoon
- Digital TV Research provides Netflix subscriber split by country
- Entropic licenses Cryptography Research DPA countermeasures
- AT&T adds 190,000 U-verse TV subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Vega launches IPTV service in Ukraine
- Seagate launches channel on Roku
- Service Electric chooses ARRIS for delivery of TV Everywhere
- Comporium adds ARRIS TV-everywhere box to its offer
- Consolidated chooses ARRIS Whole Home Solution and ConvergeMedia Management Suite
- Ultra HD TVs make gains but still lack market penetration
- SES launches digital TV platform for West Africa
- Satellite TV revenues to reach $100 billion
- STMicroelectronics Reports 2014 Second Quarter Financial Results
- Broadcom reports second quarter 2014 results
- Pay TV operator software spending shrinks in developed markets
- UK's YouView plans expansion
- Dish TV India adds 332 thousand subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Verizon adds 100,000 FiOS Video connections in 2Q 2014
- Comcast video subscribers down 144,000 in 2Q 2014
- Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline