Europe Digital TV News
Freesat now available in 1.93 million homes
Feb 4, 2016 – Freesat has announced a strong final quarter to 2015, with the addition of 36,000 new homes in the three months to December 2015. After adding 61,000 homes over the course of 2015, Freesat is now available in over 1.93 million households in the UK.
News categories: Freesat, Alistair Thom, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
Swisscom TV adds 166,000 subscribers in 2015
Feb 4, 2016 – Swisscom has released its results report for 2015. The number of Swisscom TV access lines rose year-on-year by 166,000 or 14.2% to 1.33 million, over 60% of which use the cloud-based service Swisscom TV 2.0.
News categories: Swisscom, IPTV, Results, Subscribers, Switzerland
Vodafone adds 200,000 TV customers in 4Q 2015
Feb 4, 2016 – Vodafone has released a trading update for the quarter ended 31 December 2015. The company ended the year with 9.4 million TV customers up from 9.2 million at the end of September.
News categories: Vodafone, Cable TV, Germany, IPTV, Results, Spain, Subscribers
EU proposes to move 700MHz UHF band to mobile services
Feb 2, 2016 – The European Commission has presented a proposal to make more spectrum available for mobile services in the 700 MHz band (694-790 MHz) by 2020. Currently, this band is mainly used for TV broadcasting.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Günther H. Oettinger, Digital TV, EU, Infrastructure, Regulation, Terrestrial
Samsung UK Smart TV hub attracting 2.5 million weekly visitors
Feb 1, 2016 – Samsung has announced that its Smart TV platform has now passed the 2.5 million weekly unique users mark in the UK – a 33% increase in users over the past six months.
News categories: Samsung, Rhian James, Apps, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, UK
>50% Smart TV penetration in major TV markets by 2019
Feb 1, 2016 – By 2019, more than 50% of TV households in Japan, the United States, the United Kingdom, France and Germany will have smart TVs, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS). Smart TV household penetration in Japan has already reached 50%.
News categories: IHS Inc, Hisakazu Torii, Asia, Brazil, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
GS Group releases first Russian 4K Ultra HD set-top box
Feb 1, 2016 – GS Group has announced its GS A230, the first Russian digital TV set-top box to support Ultra HD (4K) broadcasting. The new model, under the General Satellite brand, means that 4K video content can now be viewed on modern Ultra HD TV-sets.
News categories: GS Group, Andrew Bezrukov, CSTB, Digital TV, Russia, Satellite, Set Top Box
BT adds 97,000 TV customers in 4Q 2015
Feb 1, 2016 – BT Group (BT.L) has announced its results for the third quarter and nine months to 31 December 2015. The company added 97,000 TV customers in the quarter to end with a total of 1.4 million.
News categories: BT Group, IPTV, Results, Subscribers, UK
EUTELSAT 9B satellite successfully launched
Jan 30, 2016 – The EUTELSAT 9B satellite has been successfully launched into geosynchronous transfer orbit. EUTELSAT 9B will be positioned at 9°E to assume broadcasting of TV channels currently served by EUTELSAT 9A and to provide expansion capacity.
News categories: Eutelsat, Michel de Rosen, Digital TV, Europe, Infrastructure, Satellite
- HIGH TV 4K launches in India on digital TV platforms
- 81% of US households have a DVR, Netflix, or use VOD
- MyLiveGuard connected home service added to NetRange Portal
- Huawei, Expway partner for video quality standardisation
- Videocon d2h launches connected set-top box
- Windstream expands Kinetic TV into Texas
- Bang & Olufsen launches BeoLink SmartHome
- STB shipments to SAARC region grew 52% in 2015
- Accenture powers SKY On Demand in the Philippines
- Charter adds 29,000 residential video customers in 4Q 2015
- Freesat now available in 1.93 million homes
- Swisscom TV adds 166,000 subscribers in 2015
- Vodafone adds 200,000 TV customers in 4Q 2015
- Technicolor withdraws from the HEVC Advance patent pool
- M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
- Kazakhstan's Alma TV to launch IPTV in the first half of 2016
- Comcast video subscribers up 89,000 in 4Q 2015
- Dish TV India adds 317,000 net subscribers in 4Q 2015
- Dialog Semi offers power management ICs for STBs and Smart TVs
- DEN Networks adds 1.7 million digital cable subscribers in 2015