Europe Digital TV News
UK's Freesat adds 8,000 TV homes in 3Q 2014
Oct 20, 2014 – Freesat, the UK satellite TV service, has maintained its 2014 momentum by adding 8,000 new TV homes in the three months to the end of September. In all, Freesat has added 32,000 new households in the first nine months of 2014.
News categories: Freesat, Emma Scott, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Subscribers, UK
DTG Testing Freesat SI/PSI test suite release now available for download
Oct 17, 2014 – DTG Testing has announced an update to its Freesat SI/PSI test suite product, with additional test cases. The new test suite is recommended for all development testing.
News categories: DTG Testing, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Test, UK
BSkyB adds 46,000 TV customers in 3Q 2014
Oct 16, 2014 – BSkyB (LSE:BSY) has released results for the three months ended 30 September 2014. Sky saw growth in TV with the addition of 46,000 TV customers and record growth in Sky Go Extra.
News categories: BSkyB, Jeremy Darroch, Ireland, OTT, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, UK
Netflix adds 3 million members in 3Q 2014
Oct 15, 2014 – Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) has released third-quarter 2014 results. In the quarter Netflix added over 3 million members - around 1 million in the U.S. and 2 million internationally - ending Q3 with 53.1 million global members.
News categories: Netflix, Europe, Latin America, OTT, Results, Subscribers, USA
UK's blinkbox goes UltraViolet
Oct 14, 2014 – blinkbox has introduced digital movie and TV locker service UltraViolet to allow customers to build a digital collection from select physical discs they have bought in-store and access them via the service.
News categories: blinkbox, UltraViolet, Tesco, Adrian Letts, Mark Teitell, Ian Ditcham, Content Protection, Digital TV, OTT, UK
WDR to begin DVB-T2/HEVC trials in Cologne-Bonn
Oct 14, 2014 – German public broadcaster WDR has announced that, with Media Broadcast, it is planning to begin test broadcasting in DVB-T2 with HEVC video coding in the Cologne-Bonn area.
News categories: MEDIA BROADCAST GmbH, WDR, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Germany, Infrastructure, Terrestrial
MobiTV powers Deutsche Telekom Network DVR
Oct 13, 2014 – MobiTV has announced that it is powering the cloud recording capabilities of Deutsche Telekom's 'Entertain to go' streaming service. 'Entertain to go' delivers live and on-demand programming across screens in and out of the home.
News categories: MobiTV, Deutsche Telekom, Paul Scanlan, Gert von Manteuffel, Digital TV, Germany, Infrastructure, IPTV, Multiscreen
Cyfrowy Polsat launches updated satellite set-top box
Oct 13, 2014 – Cyfrowy Polsat has announced the availability of its new HD 5500 satellite set-top box. The new model is manufactured in Polsat's own factory which has already produced more than 6 million set-top boxes.
News categories: Cyfrowy Polsat, Digital TV, OTT, Poland, Satellite, Set Top Box
Nagra enables hybrid OTT and DTT service for Vodafone Spain
Oct 13, 2014 – NAGRA (SIX: KUD.S) has announced that its QuickStart Hybrid solution is enabling a combined over-the-top (OTT) and digital terrestrial television (DTT) offering for Vodafone España.
News categories: NAGRA, Vodafone, SmarDTV, Thierry Legrand, Isaac Mendoza, Content Protection, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Spain, Terrestrial
- UK's Freesat adds 8,000 TV homes in 3Q 2014
- Quantenna and SoftAtHome partner for wireless home networks
- DIRECTV subscribers up 36% in Uruguay at end-1H 2014
- DTG Testing Freesat SI/PSI test suite release now available for download
- Turkcell TV+ set-top box launches in Turkey
- Subisu Cablenet launches digital TV in Nepal
- DIRECTV Latin America launches DLA-1 satellite
- KAON joins Frog by Wyplay
- Eastlink launches Wireless TV in Canada
- CBS offers its programmes direct to consumers
- BSkyB adds 46,000 TV customers in 3Q 2014
- Netflix adds 3 million members in 3Q 2014
- Konka chooses DivX HEVC for 4K TVs
- Google announces Nexus Player Android TV box
- Thailand adds 2.8 million households to DTV voucher scheme
- HBO to offer a stand-alone HBO streaming service in 2015
- Sling Media and ViXS team on Network Transcoder for MSOs and MVPDs
- CPE revenue to expand by $1.8 billion this year
- Marketing begins for Tablet TV launch in the U.S.
- Walmart makes customers' DVDs available on VUDU