Europe Digital TV News
Finland's DNA upgrades OTT with Booxmedia and Verimatrix
Jul 28, 2015 – Booxmedia and Verimatrix have announced that DNA has upgraded its over-the-top (OTT) video service, DNA TV, with Booxmedia’s OTT platform, which is now secured by the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS) for Internet TV.
News categories: Booxmedia, Verimatrix, DNA, Jukka Sintonen, Steve Oetegenn, Mikko Saarentaus, Content Protection, Digital TV, Finland, Infrastructure, OTT
BARB to release UK OTT viewing report
Jul 24, 2015 – BARB has announced that a beta version of its TV Player Report is to be released in September, providing figures on the level of viewing to on-demand and live-streamed content in the UK through online TV Player apps.
News categories: BARB, Justin Sampson, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, UK
EU objects to cross-border provision of pay-TV services available in UK and Ireland
Jul 23, 2015 – The European Commission has taken the preliminary view that six studios and Sky UK have bilaterally agreed to put in place contractual restrictions that prevent Sky UK from allowing EU consumers located elsewhere to access, via satellite or online, pay-TV services available in the UK and Ireland.
News categories: European Commission, Margrethe Vestager, EU, Ireland, Regulation, Satellite, UK
21% of UK users have accessed TV content illegally
Jul 22, 2015 – A survey, published by the Intellectual Property Office (IPO), shows the latest UK trends in online streaming and downloading. 62% of internet users in the UK have downloaded or streamed music, TV shows, films, computer software, videogames or e-books. This is up from 56% in 2013.
News categories: Intellectual Property Office, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
OTT video starting to take-off in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa
Jul 22, 2015 – OTT TV and video revenues in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EEMEA) will reach $2,635 million in 2020 - up from only $52 million recorded in 2010 and the $616 million expected in 2015, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Market Research, Middle-East, Nigeria, OTT, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Subscribers, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine
Sky Deutschland adds satellite capacity for Ultra HD
Jul 16, 2015 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that Sky Deutschland has secured additional capacity for Ultra HD broadcasts on ASTRA at 19.2 degrees East. Ultra HD delivers four times the resolution of today's HD TV.
News categories: SES S.A, Sky Deutschland, Ferdinand Kayser, Holger Ensslin, Austria, Germany, Infrastructure, Satellite
Elemental powers Sky Go and NOW TV
Jul 15, 2015 – Elemental Technologies has announced that Sky, the UK's largest pay TV provider, is leveraging Elemental to process and deliver its over-the-top (OTT) TV service NOW TV and mobile TV service, Sky Go.
News categories: Elemental Technologies, Sky, John Nemeth, Matt McDonald, Infrastructure, OTT, UK
Pay TV booming in German-speaking territories
Jul 15, 2015 – According to the Association of Commercial Broadcasters and Audiovisual Services (VPRT), pay-TV continues to record ongoing expansion in Germany. In 2014, new record figures were reached in terms of revenues, subscribers and viewing times.
News categories: VPRT, Frank Giersberg, Austria, Cable TV, Digital TV, Germany, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Switzerland
Humax and Freesat launch compact and connected Freetime box
Jul 15, 2015 – Humax and Freesat have launched the most compact and affordable Freetime set-top box recorder to date, bringing the benefits of the subscription free satellite TV service to a wider group of cost-conscious consumers in the UK.
News categories: Freesat, Humax, Paul Gilshan, Graham North, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK
- Central American pay-TV subscribers to hit 5.57 million by 2018
- 4K TV shipments to exceed 30 million units in 2015
- One third of cable subscribers to be passed by DOCSIS 3.1 by April 2017
- Telstra to launch streaming TV service with Roku
- PathPartner announces HEVC codec for x86 platforms
- Flat Panel Display revenues forecast to fall in 2015
- Global STB shipments fell 2% to 275 million units in 2014
- Distribution Encoder market revenues to decline 21% by 2020
- FTTH subscribers in Asia-Pacific up 35 percent in one year
- Finland's DNA upgrades OTT with Booxmedia and Verimatrix
- MPEG LA issues Call for Patents for MPEG-DASH
- AT&T completes acquisition of DIRECTV
- BARB to release UK OTT viewing report
- AT&T U-verse TV subscribers down 22,000 in 2Q 2015
- Comcast video subscribers down 69,000 in 2Q 2015
- EU objects to cross-border provision of pay-TV services available in UK and Ireland
- STMicroelectronics reports 2Q 2015 results
- Technicolor to acquire Cisco connected devices division
- ACTV launches Nigeria's first CAM-Card for Smart TVs
- Videocon d2h adds 0.46 million subscribers in 2Q 2015