Europe Digital TV News
Síminn gears up for 4K with Broadpeak
May 24, 2017 – Broadpeak has announced that Icelandic telecommunications operator Síminn has launched a service supporting 4K video content with new set-top boxes capable of reception through Broadpeak’s nanoCDN.
News categories: Broadpeak, Síminn, Jacques Le Mancq, Eric Figueras, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Iceland, IPTV, Multiscreen
Melita and Vodafone Malta announce merger
May 24, 2017 – Apax Partners, Fortino Capital and Vodafone have agreed to combine Melita and Vodafone Malta. The transaction combines Vodafone Malta, the country’s leading mobile operator, with Melita, Malta’s leading cable, broadband and pay TV provider.
News categories: Vodafone, Melita, Caroline Farrugia, Amanda Nelson, Harald Rösch, Cable TV, Digital TV, Malta, MnA
Hrvatski Telekom presents a new generation of MAXtv
May 24, 2017 – Hrvatski Telekom has presented a new generation of MAXtv services. The services are interactive, with full functionality on mobile devices and a new interface that provides customers with a unique TV viewing experience.
News categories: Hrvatski Telekom, Richard Brešković, Croatia, Digital TV, IPTV, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, UX
Concurrent storage selected for timeshift TV at Leucom in Switzerland
May 23, 2017 – Concurrent (NASDAQ: CCUR) has announced the deployment of its Aquari Storage system at Leucom Stafag, a Switzerland-based telecommunications provider of broadband access for 30 thousand customers in the Frauenfeld area of northeast Switzerland.
News categories: Concurrent, Leucom, Clay McCreery, Markus Schlatter, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, Switzerland
European Council proposes revised directive on audiovisual media services
May 23, 2017 – The European Council has proposed a revised directive on audiovisual media services. The main elements are: the same rules will apply to both TV broadcasting and on-demand services; more effective procedures to deal with cross-border services are provided; and promotion of European works will also apply to on-demand service providers.
News categories: European Council, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
Amazon Channels launches in the UK and Germany
May 23, 2017 – Amazon has announced the launch of Amazon Channels in the UK and Germany. Amazon Channels allows Prime members to add channel subscriptions for a low monthly subscription fee, available individually without the need to sign up for a bundle or enter a lengthy contract.
News categories: Amazon, Alex Green, Digital TV, Germany, OTT, UK
EU adopts rules to allow OTT roaming
May 18, 2017 – EU citizens with subscriptions for online films and TV will soon be able to access their content while temporarily in another EU country. The new rules will remove restrictions so that EU citizens can use online services while in another EU country for holidays, studies or business.
News categories: European Parliament, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
Online video to push Western Europe home video to €8.7bn by 2020
May 17, 2017 – IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) expects total consumer spending on home video in Western Europe to increase with a CAGR of 3.5% per year, to reach €8.7 billion by 2020. The market demonstrated confident expansion over 2016 at 2.6%, reaching €7.9 billion.
News categories: IHS Markit, Digital TV, DVD, Europe, Market Research, OTT
Sofia Digital implements reference video streaming app for HbbTV Association
May 17, 2017 – The HbbTV Association has chosen Sofia Digital to implement a reference application and provide sample content for online streaming of DRM protected video to HbbTV enabled televisions and set-top boxes.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Sofia Digital, Klaus Illgner, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, Worldwide
- NPAW business intelligence available through Kaltura’s TV Platform
- Síminn gears up for 4K with Broadpeak
- HDR sets will surpass 4K TV shipments in 2020
- SERAPHIC and IRT show latest HbbTV 2 features at BroadcastAsia 2017
- Quiptel and Verimatrix deliver West Africa’s first secure OTT service
- Melita and Vodafone Malta announce merger
- Hrvatski Telekom presents a new generation of MAXtv
- Viaccess-Orca acquires Squadeo
- Concurrent storage selected for timeshift TV at Leucom in Switzerland
- Altice announces new global strategy: One Group, One Brand
- VOD market to reach $77.7 billion by 2024
- European Council proposes revised directive on audiovisual media services
- Bridge Technologies monitors IP networks for TOT in Thailand
- SERAPHIC partners with ALi to launch Sraf Lite browser
- Amazon Channels launches in the UK and Germany
- iWedia and Amlogic combine for Android TV
- DISH adds hands-free DVR control via Amazon Alexa
- DISH now on Amazon Fire TV
- ABS and SOLAR to launch FTA DTH service in the Philippines
- Rohde & Schwarz acquires Motama