Europe Digital TV News
Mediaset Premium pay-TV subscriptions end 3Q 2015 at 1,815,000
Oct 9, 2015 – Initial positive results from the new Mediaset Premium offer show that on 30 September the number of pay-TV subscriptions had risen to 1,815,000. On 30 June, Mediaset Premium subscriptions stood at 1,703,000.
News categories: Mediaset, Digital TV, Italy, OTT, Subscribers
Portugal's NOS trials UHD with Thomson Video Networks HEVC encoders
Oct 7, 2015 – Thomson Video Networks has announced that NOS has pioneered Ultra HD (UHD) broadcasting in Portugal with the launch of two trial UHD channels leveraging the HEVC compression capabilities of Thomson's ViBE VS7000 encoding/transcoding platform.
News categories: Thomson Video Networks, NOS, Eric Louvet, Alexandre Martins, Cable TV, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Portugal
Google announces additional Android TV partners
Oct 1, 2015 – Google has said that Hisense and TCL have been added as Smart TV partners for Android TV. The company also announced that Pace, Sagemcom and Technicolor will manufacture set-top boxes, and that KDDI and Telecom Italia are planning to provide Pay TV services powered by Android TV.
News categories: Google, Digital TV, Italy, Japan, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Swisscom upgrades Verimatrix content protection to secure UHD service
Oct 1, 2015 – Verimatrix has announced that Swisscom is deploying VCAS Ultra, its next-generation Video Content Authority System (VCAS) architecture. This decision equips Swisscom with a comprehensive and scalable multi-network revenue security approach for its new TV box.
News categories: Verimatrix, Swisscom, Marvell, Steve Oetegenn, Peter Fregelius, Content Protection, Digital TV, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Switzerland
Digital TV Research Newsletter October 2015
Sep 30, 2015 – Digital TV Research has announced the publication of its October 2015 market research newsletter. According to the newsletter, the connected TV set boom is set to continue, and the Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa OTT TV and video market is to grow by $2.2 billion.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Blu-ray, Brazil, Digital TV, Europe, Games Console, Korea, Market Research, Middle-East, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers
Five developing markets offer opportunity for Netflix
Sep 25, 2015 – As Netflix continues on its quest for global coverage, where are the next wave of opportunities for the service provider? Recent research from Futuresource Consulting identifies five key developing markets which present significant opportunity for Netflix and the wider digital video landscape.
News categories: Futuresource, Joanna Wright, Tristan Veale, Michael Boreham, David Sidebottom, China, Digital TV, India, Market Research, Mexico, OTT, Poland, Russia, Subscribers, Turkey
Freeview trade mark licence to be granted only for HD products
Sep 24, 2015 – UK Freeview has announced that the Freeview Trade Mark Licence will only be granted for HD products from the end of 2016. Freeview, alongside Digital UK and the DTG, has been working with television manufacturers and retailers to encourage the take-up of HD.
News categories: Freeview, DTG, Guy North, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Digital TV, Licensing, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Local production of STBs for ER-Telecom begins
Sep 22, 2015 – Russia's ER-Telecom has announced that local production of set-top boxes for its Dom.ru digital TV service has begun at the Morion factory in Perm. Over 100,000 Dom.ru TV Mini boxes are planned to be assembled this year.
News categories: ER-Telecom, KAON, Andrey Semerikov, Cable TV, Digital TV, Russia, Set Top Box
Booxmedia provides Cloud VOD platform for RTL Belgium
Sep 22, 2015 – Booxmedia has announced a deal with Belgian broadcaster RTL to provide a cloud video-on-demand (VOD) platform. The new service will include transactional and subscription services, live streams and catch-up libraries branded as RTL 'a l’infini'.
News categories: Booxmedia, RTL, Jukka Sintonen, Marc Lellouche, Belgium, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, OTT
- TDS selects ARRIS MOXI Whole Home solution
- FTA UltraHD TV channel to debut on AsiaSat 4
- Windstream to offer Kinetic TV in a second U.S. market
- Worldwide semiconductor sales expected to decline 0.8% in 2015
- Mediaset Premium pay-TV subscriptions end 3Q 2015 at 1,815,000
- TabletTV Plus to launch mid-Q4 in the United States
- DIRECTV launches first Virtual Reality App
- Pay TV operators to add 200 million subscribers by 2020
- Portugal's NOS trials UHD with Thomson Video Networks HEVC encoders
- More than 69 million pay TV subscribers in Latin America in Q2 2015
- MOST to use CI+ for in-car protected content distribution
- Roku introduces Roku 4 with Roku OS 7
- Rogers launches 4K TV and 4K set top box
- Marvell provides SoCs for Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- HDMI Licensing launches HDMI 2.0 Certification Program
- Google announces additional Android TV partners
- NAGRA powers Hinduja Group NXT Digital 'HITS' platform
- Swisscom upgrades Verimatrix content protection to secure UHD service
- Digital TV Research Newsletter October 2015
- TiVo announces ad-skipping TiVo BOLT