Europe Digital TV News
Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
Mar 6, 2014 – Piksel has been commissioned by VRT, Belgium's national public television broadcaster, to deliver an OTT solution supporting VOD, catch-up and live content on multiple devices.
News categories: Piksel, VRT, Tom Caljon, Belgium, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, OTT, TVConnect
Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
Mar 5, 2014 – The Ministry of Communications and Informatization of the Republic of Belarus has given an update on the status of its project to move the country to DTT broadcasting. Currently 97.4% of households have access to digital TV with this figure expected to reach 98% later this year.
News categories: Ministry of Communications and Informatization, Belarus, Terrestrial
Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
Mar 5, 2014 – Sky Italia has begun pre-registration for its new OTT television service in Italy, called Sky Online. The service is expected to be officially launched in two weeks.
News categories: Sky Italia, Sky Online, Digital TV, Italy, Multiscreen, OTT
Roku announces HDMI Roku Streaming Stick
Mar 4, 2014 – Roku has announced the new Roku® Streaming Stick™ (HDMI® version). The compact stick plugs into an HDMI port for a streamlined look suitable for wall-mounted TVs.
News categories: Roku, Jim Funk, Canada, Ireland, OTT, Set Top Box, UK, USA
Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland drop 57,600 in 2013
Mar 4, 2014 – According to figures from Swisscable, the sectoral association for cable TV companies in Switzerland, the number of cable TV subscribers in the country at the end of 2013 was 2.69 million, down 58 thousand or 2.1% over the year.
News categories: Swisscable, Cable TV, Subscribers, Switzerland
Mobistar selects Viaccess-Orca CA to secure cable TV services
Mar 3, 2014 – Viaccess-Orca and Mobistar have announced that Belgian telecommunications operator Mobistar has selected a content protection solution from Viaccess-Orca to support its cable TV service.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, Mobistar, Jean Marc Harion, François Moreau de Saint Martin, Belgium, Cable TV, Conditional Access, Digital TV
České Radiokomunikace to extend DVB-T2 trial to cover Ultra HD
Feb 28, 2014 – České Radiokomunikace has been given permission for the continuation of its DVB-T2 broadcasting trial. The company will work with Czech TV to test Ultra HD broadcasting and will also investigate interference to DVB-T2 reception from LTE mobile networks.
News categories: České Radiokomunikace, Czech Republic, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Infrastructure, Terrestrial
Portugal adds 49,000 pay TV subscribers in 2013
Feb 28, 2014 – According to Portugal's Autoridade Nacional de Comunicações (ANACOM), there were 3.171 million subscribers to subscription TV in the country at the end of the 4th Quarter of 2013, nine thousand (+0.3 percent) more than in the previous quarter, and an extra 49 thousand (+1.6 percent) compared with the end of the fourth quarter of 2012.
News categories: ANACOM, Cable TV, IPTV, Market Research, Portugal, Satellite, Subscribers
TiVo adds 313,000 MSO cable subscribers in 4Q 2013
Feb 26, 2014 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has reported results to the end of January 31, 2014. The company added a record 313,000 MSO cable subscriptions in the quarter. TiVo-owned net additions were also positive for first time in six years.
News categories: TiVo Inc, Tom Rogers, Scott Kewley, Cable TV, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Set Top Box, Spain, Subscribers, Sweden, UK, USA
- Ooyala technology for Foxtel's Presto OTT movie service
- beIN SPORTS chooses Pace HD STBs and Home Media Servers
- Quadrille push VOD integrated with Eutelsat's 'smart LNB'
- Eutelsat shows ‘smart LNB’ in action at CabSat Dubai
- Majority of televisions in U.S. housholds are now HDTVs
- ALi ATSC SoC designed-in by Funai for Mexico STB
- Altech UEC manufactures 20 millionth set-top box
- Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
- Ecuador adds 443 thousand pay TV subscribers in 2013
- Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
- Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
- DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
- Roku announces HDMI Roku Streaming Stick
- Philippines' CignalTV subscribers pass 600,000 in 2013
- Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland drop 57,600 in 2013
- Pace preliminary results for the year ended 31 December 2013
- Chunghwa Telecom launches TVs with MOD IPTV integrated
- ZTE ranked no. 1 in IPTV middleware, VOD and STBs
- DISH secures rights to Disney, ABC & ESPN content for OTT service
- CableLabs & Cisco open IPTV Innovations Lab