VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
Toluna surveys technology interests of U.S. consumers
Jan 8, 2019 – Toluna has released research on consumer electronics and technology trends ahead of CES. The company has studied US consumer adoption, purchase intent, and tech-influenced trends heading into the New Year.
News categories: Toluna, Jay Rampuria, Phil Ahad, CES, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, USA, VR
HTC VIVE evolves VR portfolio
Jan 7, 2019 – HTC VIVE has announced hardware, software, and content offerings that redefine how VR is experienced. VIVE Pro Eye sets a new standard for high-end VR headsets, VIVEPORT Infinity allows unlimited access to content, and VIVE COSMOS with Vive Reality System reimagines what's possible in VR.
News categories: HTC VIVE, Rikard Steiber, Daniel O'Brien, Drew Bamford, Jamie Leece, CES, VR, Worldwide
Sling TV first vMVPD on Oculus Go VR headset
Dec 17, 2018 – Sling TV has become the first virtual multichannel video programming distributor (vMVPD) to launch on Oculus Go, the VR headset. The Sling TV experience on Oculus Go is equivalent to watching on a 180-inch television.
News categories: Sling TV, Oculus, Jimshade Chaudhari, Digital TV, OTT, USA, VR
Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
Dec 10, 2018 – MediaKind has announced that it has pushed the boundaries of immersive consumer experience of live sport by streaming the world’s first multi-channel 6K 360-degree live sports event in collaboration with Deutsche Telekom, Magnum Film, Tiledmedia, INVR.SPACE and Iconic Engine.
News categories: MediaKind, Deutsche Telekom, Angel Ruiz, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, Mobile, OTT, VR
Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 855 with 5G, AI, XR and HDR10+
Dec 5, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has unveiled its Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform, collectively supporting multi-gigabit 5G, AI and immersive extended reality (XR). Snapdragon 855 provides consumers with an upgraded entertainment platform including HDR10+ playback.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, 5G, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
ABI Research lowers 2023 VR forecast
Dec 5, 2018 – The Virtual Reality (VR) market is at a crossroad, finds ABI Research. The company has lowered its installed base forecast to clear just over 140 million by 2023, contingent on mobile VR turning things around and again becoming a viable segment of the market.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
VR device market declines in 2018 but outlook remains positive
Dec 3, 2018 – Despite early enthusiasm and a continued expectation of significant long-term potential for the technology, CCS Insight believes there is still significant work to be done to improve the user experience, software platforms and content availability.
News categories: CCS Insight, Ben Wood, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Vodafone makes UK’s first holographic call using 5G
Sep 20, 2018 – Vodafone has conducted the UK’s first live holographic call using 5G technology. The call from Vodafone’s Manchester office featured England and Manchester City Women’s Football Captain, Steph Houghton MBE. Using 5G technology, Steph appeared as a live 3D hologram on stage in front of an audience at Vodafone’s UK headquarters in Newbury.
News categories: Vodafone, Nick Jeffery, 5G, Digital TV, UK, VR
Streaming Video Alliance publishes documents on ad delivery for OTT and 360°/VR
Sep 14, 2018 – The Streaming Video Alliance has announced the availability of two newly approved documents. The documents cover advertisement delivery across OTT and the current state of 360-degree video and best practices
News categories: Streaming Video Alliance, Jason Thibeault, Mourad Kioumgi, Brian Stevenson, Ori Finkelman, Eric Klein, Advertising, Digital TV, IBC, OTT, VR, Worldwide
- Interra Systems adds support for Dolby Vision to its QC platform
- Global SVoD revenues to grow 25% in 2019 to $36bn
- Rohde & Schwarz wins DVB-T2 transmitter contract in Egypt
- Allegro DVT introduces real-time AV1 encoder IP for 4K/UHD video
- Double digit growth for flat panel displays in 2018
- FreeWheel and A+E Networks pilot unified ad decisioning engine
- GatesAir and Foccus Digital upgrade ISDB-Tb transmitters for TV Record in Brazil
- Global 5G smartphone shipments to reach 5 million units in 2019
- Atlantic Broadband brings new TiVo experience to Low Country area of South Carolina
- Deltatre releases report on sports streaming
- Shemaroo enters the US market with ShemarooMe VOD launch
- Philo unveils connected TV ad platform
- Swisscom switches on Switzerland’s first 5G network
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 270 million
- Premium video solidifies its position in the European marketplace
- Amazon bulk certifies Espial Elevate operators for Alexa voice control
- ACCESS acquires NetRange
- AT&T sells Hulu minority stake back to Hulu
- Witbe implements Nielsen Watermark Detection
- TekSavvy TV launching in Toronto