VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
TiVo and University of Waterloo investigate 360° video on head-mounted devices
May 14, 2020 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced a partnership with the University of Waterloo that will begin with a project investigating methods to enhance the user quality-of-experience for 360° omnidirectional video on head-mounted devices.
News categories: TiVo Corp, University of Waterloo, Arvin Patel, Dave Shull, Zhou Wang, Digital TV, USA, UX, VR
AR/VR IC market to grow to $7.75bn by 2026 at 23.3% CAGR
Apr 7, 2020 – According to Allied Market Research, the global AR/VR chip industry was estimated at $1.38 billion in 2018, and is expected to hit $7.76 billion by 2026, registering a CAGR of 23.3% from 2019 to 2026.
News categories: Allied Market Research, Market Research, Semiconductor, VR, Worldwide
YouVue launches 3D sharing platform
Dec 19, 2019 – YouVue has launched a 3D sharing platform that will provide immersive viewing on any device, anywhere in the world. Unlike other 3D offerings, YouVue streams photorealistic experiences from any 3D media source to be consumed on everyday mobile devices.
News categories: YouVue, Joe Mikhail, Conrad Burke, Digital TV, Mobile, VR, Worldwide
InterDigital releases report on streaming video delivery
Dec 18, 2019 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) has released a study outlining how the advent of streaming media use cases like VR, AR and cloud gaming is increasingly pushing data boundaries, while edge computing, multicasting, and more efficient codecs present solutions to this video-driven future.
News categories: InterDigital, Laurent Depersin, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, VR, Worldwide
Ericsson ConsumerLab - Ten Hot Consumer Trends 2030
Dec 10, 2019 – According to the Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) ConsumerLab Hot Consumer Trends report, consumers expect an array of beneficial services from connected technology interacting with our senses of sight, sound, taste, smell and touch to be a common reality by 2030.
News categories: Ericsson, Dr. Pernilla Jonsson, Dr. Michael Björn, Digital TV, Market Research, UX, VR, Worldwide
EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
Nov 28, 2019 – EE has treated commuters to an AR gig over 5G starring British band, Bastille. Bastille performed at Birmingham’s New Street Station, while fans in Liverpool and Edinburgh live streamed the performance using Nreal mixed reality glasses and the latest Samsung devices.
News categories: EE, Pete Jeavons, 5G, Digital TV, UK, VR
Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
Nov 27, 2019 – Worldwide spending on augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) is forecast to be $18.8 billion in 2020, up 78.5% versus the $10.5 billion IDC expects will be spent in 2019. Continued strong growth is predicted for the 2019-2023 period.
News categories: IDC, Giulia Carosella, Marcus Torchia, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Ericsson releases November 2019 Mobility Report
Nov 25, 2019 – Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) expects average monthly data-traffic-per-smartphone to increase from the current figure of 7.2 GB to 24 GB by the end of 2025, in part driven by new consumer behavior, such as Virtual Reality (VR) streaming.
News categories: Ericsson, Fredrik Jejdling, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Smart Home, VR, Worldwide
Immersive Economy in the UK 2019 report published
Nov 19, 2019 – Immerse UK and Digital Catapult have published the second Immersive Economy in the UK report. It explores the spread of companies working with immersive technologies such as high-end visualisation, virtual, mixed, and augmented reality, haptics and other sensory interfaces with data.
News categories: Digital Catapult, Immerse UK, Jeremy Silver, Fiona Kilkelly, Market Research, UK, VR
- Pay TV revenue in New Zealand to follow -3.1% CAGR
- iQIYI International available for ZEASN-based smart devices
- Growing demand for smart displays driving smart speaker sales
- Forthnet becomes part of United Group
- Anevia powers Skymedia's SkyGo service in Mongolia
- UK marketers expect to spend more on Advanced TV ads in the next 12 months
- NetRange moves browser to the Cloud for low-cost Smart TVs
- Over 13 billion Smart Home devices in use by 2025
- MultiChoice picks Metrological to deliver OTT services on DStv
- Oregan Networks builds on Amlogic's Android TV reference platform
- Bitmovin and OKAST team up to deliver live and VOD streaming
- 61% of US broadband households subscribe to two or more OTT services
- 14% of Australians plan to cancel pay TV as a result of the pandemic
- Eutelsat 7/8°W predominant broadcast position for Egyptian TV homes
- NEXTGEN TV launches on local TV in Norfolk, VA
- Universal Electronics to launch Apple TV remote control for MVPDs
- Nielsen unveils new ID resolution system
- TeraVolt wins tender for development at ZDF Mediathek
- Ocilion delivers content recommendations with XroadMedia
- Mirada helps izzi bring Disney+ to Mexico