Africa Digital TV News
TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
Sep 17, 2019 – According to Dataxis, among the 215 million households in the region, around 102 million have access to TV in 2018. Even though the penetration is progressing, TV has not yet fully penetrated into sub-Saharan African homes.
News categories: Dataxis, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research
VIEWMEDIA to broadcast to West Africa on AMOS-17 at 17°E
Sep 14, 2019 – Spacecom (Tel Aviv: SCC) has announced that ViewMedia will launch a digital broadcast platform on AMOS-17 located at 17°E. The platform will provide DVB-S2 broadcast services to West Africa for a primarily Francophone audience.
News categories: Spacecom, ViewMedia, Ido Ginsburg, Safia Rana, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-S2, IBC2019, Satellite
ALi to release DVB-S2X SoC at IBC 2019
Sep 12, 2019 – ALi Corporation will launch F6A, a next-generation DVB-S2X SoC targeting India, APAC, Africa and Cenam/Latam at IBC. The F6A SoC is designed to meet global pay TV CA system requirements while offering HEVC, Ethernet and Full HD to enrich the viewing experience.
News categories: ALi Corp, Sophia Liang, Africa, Asia, Digital TV, DVB-S2, IBC2019, ICs, India, Latin America, Set Top Box
V-Nova partners with Simplestream for Pan-African streaming service MVMO
Sep 11, 2019 – V-Nova is the key enabler for a streaming service, MVMO, due to launch in Africa in late 2019. The service will combine the V-Nova P+ codec-agnostic enhancement with Simplestream's streaming platform to deliver content throughout the continent.
News categories: V-Nova, Simplestream, Creative Africa Exchange, Guido Meardi, Dan Finch, Sandra Iyawa, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT
AMOS-17 successfully launched
Aug 7, 2019 – Spacecom (Tel Aviv: SCC) has confirmed the successful launch of its AMOS-17 satellite en route to its 17°E orbital position. AMOS-17 has C-Band HTS, Ka-band and Ku-band capabilities. During the next weeks, the satellite will begin its testing processes in orbit.
News categories: Spacecom, David Pollack, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite
Dedicated Ethiopian TV neighbourhood created on NSS-12 at 57°E
Jul 9, 2019 – SES and the Association of Ethiopian Broadcasters (AEB), and the Ethiopian Broadcasting Cooperation (EBC) have signed an agreement that will result in the creation of a dedicated Ethiopian TV neighbourhood on SES's NSS-12 satellite at 57°E.
News categories: SES S.A, Association of Ethiopian Broadcasters, Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation, Ferdinand Kayser, Amman Fissehazion, Belete Esubalew Gemberie, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Satellite
Global AVOD revenues to reach $56 billion
Jun 27, 2019 – Global AVOD revenue will more than double between 2018 and 2024 to reach $56 billion according to Digital TV Research. Online TV and video advertising has been considerably boosted in recent years by the rapid growth in mobile advertising.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Advertising, Africa, Asia, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, OTT, Worldwide
Nielsen launches global measurement for YouTube mobile app
Jun 3, 2019 – Nielsen has announced that it has expanded advertising measurement on YouTube’s mobile app to 26 additional markets. Now available in 34 markets, the service provides cross-device measurement of advertising audiences across computer and mobile devices.
News categories: Nielsen, Amanda Tarpey, Advertising, Belgium, Big Data, Brazil, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Malaysia, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, OTT, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UAE
Ivory Coast’s SIDT partners with SES for digital switchover
May 28, 2019 – Ivory Coast’s public broadcasting company, the Société Ivoirienne de Télédiffusion (SIDT), has selected SES as its digital partner in a major move to meet the country’s 2020 deadline for switching over from analogue to digital broadcasting.
News categories: SES S.A, SIDT, Clint Brown, Yeo Adama, Content Distribution, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Satellite
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos
- Sri Lanka Telecom selects partner ecosystem to deploy TV Everywhere
- BexCom selects Irdeto to secure AKASH DTH platform
- VIEWMEDIA to broadcast to West Africa on AMOS-17 at 17°E
- Skyworth partners with SERAPHIC to launch Android HbbTV smart TVs
- iWedia cooperates with Kaltura on STB software for Beeline Kazakhstan
- WIZTIVI and SERAPHIC co-work on HbbTV OpApps
- MediaKind helps Síminn deliver English Premier League coverage in UHD
- Turkcell selects Witbe to monitor video QoE
- Bouygues Telecom adds start-over to Bbox EPG using Alpha Networks
- RecordTV uses MediaKind IRD for 2019 Pan American Games coverage
- NAGRA enables cloud-based OTT for Montecable in Uruguay
- ACCESS CO. and EKT integrate the NetRange Application Store