Africa Digital TV News
BoFiNet enlists Globecast for OTT service creation in Botswana
Jul 7, 2020 – Globecast has announced that Plastique has enlisted Globecast as its technical partner to supply a turnkey OTT service for BoFiNet, Botswana’s wholesale provider of telecommunications infrastructure.
News categories: Globecast, BoFiNet, Stefan Wiederkehr, Botswana, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, UX
DTH free-to-air bouquets spreading across sub-Saharan Africa
Jun 25, 2020 – DTH free-to-air bouquets are spreading across sub-Saharan Africa. These offers, which bundle FTA channels and a set-top box, are currently received by more than 8 million households in the region, according to Dataxis.
News categories: Dataxis, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite
Satellite TV gains popularity in Ghana and Nigeria
Jun 25, 2020 – An SES survey has revealed a steady increase in the penetration of satellite TV across Africa. The study shows an increase in SES reach from 33 million African households in 2018 to 35 million households in 2019.
News categories: SES S.A, Clint Brown, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ghana, IPTV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Eutelsat selected by RCS Ghana for DTH service at 7° East
Apr 22, 2020 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has secured a contract with RCS Ghana to provide capacity for the broadcast of its DTH bouquet bringing content to viewers in Ghana and beyond. RCS will use Ku-Band capacity on EUTELSAT 7B to broadcast its FTA service.
News categories: Eutelsat, RCS Ghana, Nicolas Baravalle, Hamza Tanko, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ghana, Satellite
Viu reaches 41.4 million monthly active users
Feb 17, 2020 – Viu (SEHK:0008) has announced that it reached 41.4 million monthly active users at the end of 2019, representing an increase of 35% over 2018. Additionally, video views grew 69% to 5.7 billion year-over-year, supporting growth in its video segment revenue.
News categories: Viu, Janice Lee, Africa, Asia, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT, Results, Subscribers
Trefoil Networks launches OurTV on Nigcomsat 1R
Feb 13, 2020 – OurTV is an African DTH satellite TV service offering 20+ free-to-view channels via its OurTV set-top box or decoder. Protected by Verimatrix, OurTV hybrid STBs offer PVR and allow users to watch YouTube and other OTT.
News categories: Trefoil Networks, OurTV, Africa, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
AfricaXP adds DTH capacity from Eutelsat for Sub-Saharan Africa
Feb 13, 2020 – AfricaXP has signed agreements with Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) for Ku-band capacity on two Eutelsat satellites, positioned at 16°E and 7°E. The capacity will enable AfricaXP to extend the reach of its DTH FTA TV platform, Premium.Free, currently broadcast in West Africa.
News categories: Eutelsat, AfricaXP, Nicolas Baravalle, Craig Kelly, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite
PanAccess’ Nigerian bouquet now on Amos-17
Feb 3, 2020 – Spacecom (Tel Aviv: SCC) has announced that it is providing Ku-band capacity from its AMOS-17 communication satellite to PanAccess for broadcasting to Nigeria. PanAccess’ bouquet, originating in Germany, is broadcast from 17°E.
News categories: Spacecom, PanAccess, Eyal Altshuler, Roland Schlichting, Conditional Access, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
African SVOD revenues to sextuple
Jan 13, 2020 – Digital TV Research forecasts 9.72 million SVOD subscriptions by 2025, up from 2.68 million at end-2019. South Africa (3.24 million by 2025) will remain the subscription leader, with Nigeria (2.14 million) in second place.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
- SETAR deploys Nordija interactive TV platform in Aruba
- BoFiNet enlists Globecast for OTT service creation in Botswana
- SeaChange leadership extends salary reduction plan
- Growth in TV Panel quotes even higher than expected in July
- DNA selects VisualOn media player for Android TV app
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert