Africa Digital TV News
African OTT TV revenues to reach $1 billion
Jan 14, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, Sub-Saharan African OTT movie and TV episode revenues will reach $1,018 million by 2024 – up from $223 million in 2018. Despite this quintupling of revenues, Africa still has a lot of potential growth in the long-term.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, OTT, South Africa, Tanzania
Africa to add 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024
Jan 7, 2019 – Sub-Saharan Africa is forecast to add more than 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024 to bring its total to 45.63 million, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Subscribers
Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
Dec 11, 2018 – Vubiquity (NASDAQ: DOX) has announced a deal with Discover Digital to provide international plus local content throughout the African continent, starting with TelOne DEOD (Digital Entertainment On Demand) in Zimbabwe.
News categories: Vubiquity, Discover Digital, TelOne, Darcy Antonellis, Stephen Watson, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Zimbabwe
Eutelsat satellite market leader in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast
Nov 13, 2018 – A study of TV reception in Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast, has positioned Eutelsat as satellite market leader within those countries. Interviews were conducted with 3,000 households in Nigeria, 2,000 in Cameroon and 2,000 in Ivory Coast.
News categories: Eutelsat, Nicolas Baravalle, Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Market Research, Nigeria, Satellite
Intertrust and moTV target Africa with joint streaming platform
Nov 13, 2018 – Intertrust has announced that it has joined forces with moTV, an OTT/IPTV/Hybrid platform provider, to target the African market. The joint solution integrates Intertrust’s content protection with moTV’s system.
News categories: Intertrust, moTV, John Baqar, Jan Macku, Africa, Apps, Conditional Access, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRM, IPTV, OTT
Telkom and Netflix confirm partnership in South Africa
Nov 7, 2018 – Telkom has confirmed that it has secured a partnership with Netflix. The partnership is Netflix’s first such agreement with a South African telecommunications company. Netflix will be available via Telkom’s LIT TV Box.
News categories: Telkom SA, Netflix, Wanda Mkhize, Maria Ferreras, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, South Africa
iflix app certified for Vewd-enabled Smart TVs and STBs
Oct 11, 2018 – Vewd and iflix have partnered to make iflix available on Vewd enabled devices. The iflix app has been certified for the Vewd ecosystem, meaning that it can be deployed on millions of connected TVs and STBs without challenging integration.
News categories: Vewd, iflix, Aneesh Rajaram, Mark Britt, Africa, Apps, Asia, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Pay-TV penetration in Africa and the Middle East to grow rapidly
Sep 26, 2018 – Africa and the Middle East (AME) pay-TV household penetration is expected to outpace all other major regions between 2017 and 2022, increasing from 16% in 2017 to 23.2% in 2022, according to GlobalData. The AME pay-TV market is relatively underdeveloped but is growing rapidly.
News categories: GlobalData, Jonathan Bachrach, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East
Africa’s entertainment and media industry enters dynamic new era
Sep 19, 2018 – Africa’s entertainment and media (E&M) industry has entered a dynamic new phase - a third wave of convergence. The borders that once separated the E&M, technology and telecommunications industries are blurring in the battle for the attention of the consumer in a world that is rapidly digitising.
News categories: PwC, Vicki Myburgh, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Tanzania
- Singapore to introduce measures against illicit streaming devices
- DAZN drives global growth via social video with Grabyo
- Cox Media and Nielsen renew TV and audio measurement agreement
- TDG research shows sensitivity of Netflix subscribers to price rises
- Sinclair Broadcast launches free TV streaming service, STIRR
- Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
- 16% of U.S. broadband households share online video passwords
- OTE agrees to sell Telekom Albania to Albania Telecom Invest
- Mediamorph achieves record customer acquisitions in 2018
- Half of all U.S. video viewing is done with others
- ShortsTV selects Synacor's Cloud Identity Platform
- SpotX releases '2019 Video Advertising Trends' report
- Mirada multiscreen solution launches at One Communications in Bermuda
- Vestel releases first CASTVs with integrated broadcast pay TV
- TrueVisions extends CA partnership with Synamedia
- Liberty Latin America confirms discussions with Millicom
- NBCUniversal announces Direct-to-Consumer streaming service
- Syncbak to debut straight to OTT syndication marketplace at NATPE 2019
- Endeavor video technology with NeuLion becomes Endeavor Streaming
- TrueVisions takes Ku-band capacity on Thaicom-8