Africa Digital TV News
Maroc Telecom acquires Tigo Chad
Mar 15, 2019 – Maroc Telecom has signed an agreement with Millicom to acquire 100% of the shares of its subsidiary Tigo Chad, the leading mobile operator in Chad. This acquisition aims to enlarge and consolidate the presence of Maroc Telecom in Africa.
News categories: Maroc Telecom, Millicom, Tigo Chad, Chad, MnA
Benin signs up with SES for DTT distribution and DTH
Mar 13, 2019 – Viewers in the Republic of Benin are now receiving 15 new FTA channels from satellite, thanks to an agreement that Benin has signed with SES. A number of HD channels will be broadcast - the first HD channels to be available over DTT in Africa.
News categories: SES S.A, Clint Brown, Darius Quenum, Benin, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Terrestrial
MultiChoice lists on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Feb 27, 2019 – MultiChoice Group Limited (MCG) has listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). The listed MCG includes MultiChoice South Africa (MCSA), MultiChoice Africa Holdings (MAH), Showmax, as well Irdeto, and all their subsidiaries and affiliates.
News categories: MultiChoice, Naspers, Irdeto, Calvo Mawela, Bob van Dijk, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Finance, OTT, Satellite, South Africa, Worldwide
GatesAir wins Ivory Coast DTT transition contract
Feb 26, 2019 – GatesAir continues its long-standing business relationship with the Republic of Ivory Coast through a turnkey equipment and services contract to support the African country’s national digital TV (DTV) network.
News categories: GatesAir, Ivoirienne de Télédiffusion, Bruce D. Swail, Content Distribution, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, DVB-T2
GINX Esports TV relies on Zixi for channel distribution over IP
Feb 25, 2019 – Zixi has announced that GINX Esports TV has adopted the Zixi Platform for secure delivery over IP of its live Esports coverage. GINX Esports TV offers linear channels to the UK, France, South Africa, USA, Canada and several international cable operators.
News categories: Zixi, GINX, Michael Poppler, Sebastian Gomez, Canada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, France, OTT, South Africa, UK, USA
Ethiopian broadcasters take video capacity on EUTELSAT 8 West B
Feb 12, 2019 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has signed simultaneous multi-year contracts with the Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation and the Association of Ethiopian Broadcasters for video capacity on its EUTELSAT 8 West B satellite.
News categories: Eutelsat, Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation, Michel Azibert, Messay Hurissa, Anman Fissehazion, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Satellite
Hellas Sat 4 successfully launched
Feb 7, 2019 – Hellas Sat has announced that the Hellas Sat 4 has been successfully launched. Hellas Sat 4 is a Ku-band satellite that will be positioned at 39°E to provide coverage over Europe, the Middle East and Southern Africa. The satellite is expected to commence service in Q3 2019.
News categories: Hellas Sat, Christodoulos Protopapas, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Satellite
African OTT TV revenues to reach $1 billion
Jan 14, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, Sub-Saharan African OTT movie and TV episode revenues will reach $1,018 million by 2024 – up from $223 million in 2018. Despite this quintupling of revenues, Africa still has a lot of potential growth in the long-term.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Ethiopia, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, OTT, South Africa, Tanzania
Africa to add 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024
Jan 7, 2019 – Sub-Saharan Africa is forecast to add more than 16 million pay TV subscribers between 2018 and 2024 to bring its total to 45.63 million, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Subscribers
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
- 3SS and Media Distillery team up for ultra-personalized AI-powered TV
- Redbox selects You.i TV to develop React Native app on Roku
- MainStreaming secures $6 million funding
- Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
- SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
- Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
- Philo brings streaming TV to WOW! broadband customers
- FreeWheel announces programmatic OTT offering for local TV buyers
- Cyfrowy Polsat contract pay TV subscribers down 22,000 in 1Q 2019
- Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura bring EAS Alerts to Cloud TV services
- Telestream and NPAW integrate video monitoring and analytics platforms
- Cross channel ad management and tracking help drive video ad tech market