Asia Digital TV News
Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
May 16, 2019 – Beximco Communications has launched a DTH service in Bangladesh under the brand name AKASH. The service will be available from May 19 at authorised retails in 20 districts. AKASH includes a large bouquet of Bangladeshi and foreign TV channels.
News categories: Beximco, Bangladesh, Digital TV, Satellite
SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
May 15, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE:SKM) has announced that it will offer live broadcast of the 'SK Telecom Open 2019’' on both JTBC Golf, a TV channel operated by JTBC, and 'oksusu', Korea’s largest OTT video service, using its commercial 5G network.
News categories: SK Telecom, Kim Hyuk, 5G, Digital TV, Korea
Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
May 15, 2019 – Media measurement bodies, BARC (India), Médiamétrie (France), Numeris (Canada) and Video Research (Japan) have announced that they will collaborate on future audience measurement initiatives including the development of common technical standards and operational processes.
News categories: BARC India, Médiamétrie, Numeris, Video Research, Partho Dasgupta, Bruno Chetaille, Neil McEneaney, Yuzuru Kato, Brad Bedford, Advertising, Big Data, Canada, Digital TV, France, India, Japan
1.2 million pay TV subscribers at Dialog Axiata
May 14, 2019 – Dialog Axiata has announced results for the three months ended 31st March 2019. Dialog Television (“DTV”), continued to consolidate its leadership position in the Digital Pay Television space with a subscriber growth of 16% YoY to reach 1.2 million.
News categories: Dialog, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Sri Lanka, Subscribers
Netflix partners with OnePlus India
May 10, 2019 – Netflix has partnered with smartphone brand OnePlus to deliver the Netflix viewing experience on the OnePlus 7 Pro. The HDR-supporting display of the OnePlus 7 Pro will set new standards in mobile viewing, giving Netflix fans an immersive experience.
News categories: Netflix, OnePlus, Jerome Bigio, Vikas Agarwal, Digital TV, India, OTT, Smartphone
Korea adds 534,000 pay TV subscribers in 2H 2018
May 9, 2019 – Korea's Ministry of Science and ICT has announced pay TV subscriber numbers for the country for the second half of 2018. At the end of 2018 there were 32.5 million pay TV subscribers in Korea, with IPTV having the largest share having overtaken cable TV in late 2017.
News categories: Ministry of Science and ICT, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Satellite, Subscribers
t-broad uses Alticast cloud technology to enable UX virtualization
May 7, 2019 – Alticast has announced that t-broad has launched Alticast’s cloud-based, user interface (UI) virtualization solution, Apex - Hybrid as part of their next-generation service. This is the first time that an operating partner of Alticast has launch Apex in its hybrid form.
News categories: Alticast, t-broad, Dosa Park, Sukmin Ahn, Cable TV, Digital TV, HTML5, Korea, Set Top Box
Telenor and Axiata enter discussions to merge Asian operations
May 6, 2019 – Telenor and Axiata Group are in discussions regarding a potential non-cash combination of their telecom and infrastructure assets in Asia, in which Telenor would take a majority stake. It is anticipated that Telenor will own 56.5% and Axiata will own 43.5%.
News categories: Telenor, Axiata, Gunn Wærsted, Sigve Brekke, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, MnA, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Thailand
iflix and Indonesia's MNC announce content partnership
May 3, 2019 – iflix has entered into a partnership with Indonesia’s largest integrated media company, MNC (PT Media Nusantara Citra Tbk). The strategic partnership will significantly enhance iflix content programming mix and further strengthen its Indonesian local content strategy.
News categories: iflix, MNC, Mark Britt, David Fernando Audy, Asia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Indonesia, OTT
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
- 3SS and Media Distillery team up for ultra-personalized AI-powered TV
- Redbox selects You.i TV to develop React Native app on Roku
- MainStreaming secures $6 million funding
- Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
- SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
- Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
- Philo brings streaming TV to WOW! broadband customers
- FreeWheel announces programmatic OTT offering for local TV buyers
- Cyfrowy Polsat contract pay TV subscribers down 22,000 in 1Q 2019
- Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura bring EAS Alerts to Cloud TV services
- Telestream and NPAW integrate video monitoring and analytics platforms
- Cross channel ad management and tracking help drive video ad tech market