Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
49% of U.S. households have a TV connected to the internet
Jun 6, 2014 – New consumer research from LRG finds that 49% of US households have at least one television set connected to the Internet via a video game system, Blu-ray player, smart TV set, and/or stand-alone device, up from 38% in 2012, and 24% in 2010.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
UltraViolet movie viewership on TVs surges 43% in U.S.
May 21, 2014 – Well over half of the 16 million UltraViolet (UV) users in the U.S. are now viewing their content on a TV. Connected TVs and Blu-ray players are among the favored platforms for this activity, according to NPD.
News categories: NPD Group, Justin Bailey, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
42 Million U.S. homes are connecting through TVs or attached content devices
May 15, 2014 – During Q1 of 2014 there were 42 million U.S. households with a TV connected to the Internet, either via a video game console, Blu-ray disc player, streaming media player or the TV itself, according to the NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, USA
Global VOD/EST and DVD/Blu-ray sales to pass $43Bn in 2019
May 1, 2014 – Worldwide VOD rentals (OTT and pay TV operator), electronic sell-through (EST), and DVD/Blu-ray disc sales are expected to grow 40% from 2013 to 2019 – growing from USD 30.6B in 2013 to over 43B in 2019.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Blu-ray, Cable TV, DVD, IPTV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Satellite, Worldwide
One billion TV-centric connected devices now in homes
Jan 28, 2014 – The global installed base of TV-centric connected devices surpassed one billion units in 2013 and will exceed two billion by 2017, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource, Jack Wetherill, Blu-ray, CES, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Digital Entertainment Group released year-end 2013 U.S. Home Entertainment Report
Jan 7, 2014 – Stability in home entertainment continued for the second straight year in 2013. Results were boosted by the growing awareness and acceptance of digital services and products offered by both online and brick and mortar retailers.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Opera TV Store lands on select Samsung Blu-ray Disc players
Jan 2, 2014 – Opera Software has announced that apps from the Opera TV Store will be available on Samsung's Blu-ray Disc players, providing viewers with more choices of online and streaming entertainment for their TV screens.
News categories: Opera Software, Samsung, Aneesh Rajaram, Apps, Blu-ray, CES, Digital TV, Middleware
Over 200 million connected TVs and attached content devices expected in U.S. homes by 2015
Dec 19, 2013 – By 2015, there will be 202 million Internet-capable TV devices in U.S homes, a 44 percent increase from the 140 million at the start of 2013, according to the new Connected Home Forecast report from NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV device ownership to double by 2017
Dec 16, 2013 – The global number of Connected TV Devices is set to grow from an average of just 0.5 per household in 2013 to 1.0 per household by 2017, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Watkins, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Home Networking, Market Research, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
- HTTV and TeVolution combine DTT/OTT efforts for Africa
- Bell Media to launch on-demand subscription TV in Canada
- TiVo now available from Cogeco Cable Canada
- Roku powers Sky Online TV Box in Germany
- Sky Deutschland announces Sky Online OTT service
- VUDU entertainment service launches on TiVo
- Ittiam enables HEVC support in Android Lollipop
- Charter video subscribers down 9,000 in 3Q 2014
- STMicroelectronics reports third quarter 2014 results
- Asia Pacific to lead multiscreen boom
- 14% of U.S. broadband homes now without traditional pay TV
- ARM announces single-core video codec IP for HEVC
- Silicon Labs launches 6th generation silicon tuners
- Beltelecom expands DTT coverage in Belarus
- Amazon introduces its Fire TV Stick
- Philippines digital TV to begin in 2019
- Sky TV New Zealand to launch NEON SVOD service in December
- Tivi OTT service begins test operations in Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Global pay TV market to generate $269 billion in 2014
- U.S. broadband households watch 17.4 hours of non-linear video per week