Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Global connected TV device ownership passes 1 billion units
Jul 9, 2014 – The global installed base of Connected TV devices (including Smart TVs, Games Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Digital Media Adapters and Set-Top Boxes) will double over the next 5 years exceeding 2 billion units by 2018 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
49% of U.S. households have a TV connected to the internet
Jun 6, 2014 – New consumer research from LRG finds that 49% of US households have at least one television set connected to the Internet via a video game system, Blu-ray player, smart TV set, and/or stand-alone device, up from 38% in 2012, and 24% in 2010.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
UltraViolet movie viewership on TVs surges 43% in U.S.
May 21, 2014 – Well over half of the 16 million UltraViolet (UV) users in the U.S. are now viewing their content on a TV. Connected TVs and Blu-ray players are among the favored platforms for this activity, according to NPD.
News categories: NPD Group, Justin Bailey, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
42 Million U.S. homes are connecting through TVs or attached content devices
May 15, 2014 – During Q1 of 2014 there were 42 million U.S. households with a TV connected to the Internet, either via a video game console, Blu-ray disc player, streaming media player or the TV itself, according to the NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, USA
Global VOD/EST and DVD/Blu-ray sales to pass $43Bn in 2019
May 1, 2014 – Worldwide VOD rentals (OTT and pay TV operator), electronic sell-through (EST), and DVD/Blu-ray disc sales are expected to grow 40% from 2013 to 2019 – growing from USD 30.6B in 2013 to over 43B in 2019.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Blu-ray, Cable TV, DVD, IPTV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Satellite, Worldwide
One billion TV-centric connected devices now in homes
Jan 28, 2014 – The global installed base of TV-centric connected devices surpassed one billion units in 2013 and will exceed two billion by 2017, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource, Jack Wetherill, Blu-ray, CES2015, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Digital Entertainment Group released year-end 2013 U.S. Home Entertainment Report
Jan 7, 2014 – Stability in home entertainment continued for the second straight year in 2013. Results were boosted by the growing awareness and acceptance of digital services and products offered by both online and brick and mortar retailers.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
Opera TV Store lands on select Samsung Blu-ray Disc players
Jan 2, 2014 – Opera Software has announced that apps from the Opera TV Store will be available on Samsung's Blu-ray Disc players, providing viewers with more choices of online and streaming entertainment for their TV screens.
News categories: Opera Software, Samsung, Aneesh Rajaram, Apps, Blu-ray, CES2015, Digital TV, Middleware
Over 200 million connected TVs and attached content devices expected in U.S. homes by 2015
Dec 19, 2013 – By 2015, there will be 202 million Internet-capable TV devices in U.S homes, a 44 percent increase from the 140 million at the start of 2013, according to the new Connected Home Forecast report from NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
- Canal Digital Kabel-TV goes live with ADB Multi-screen
- LG to unveil webOS 2.0 Smart TV platform at CES 2015
- DISH first major US pay TV provider to integrate Netflix
- Play Cast Maldives receives cable TV licence
- Broadcom STB platform to accelerate Mexico's transition to digital TV
- 2.3 million active smartcards for Italy's TivùSat
- Cello Electronics TVs to offer Stream TV glasses-free 3D
- Belgium's Mobistar starts trials of its internet and digital TV services
- Wyplay connects STBs with SIGFOX IoT network
- Multi-Gigabit cable broadband speeds get closer for consumers
- Broadcom introduces first GPS-enabled device for satellite outdoor units
- 43.9% of French TV households have TV-over-ADSL
- Espial showcases RDK, 4K, OTT and HTML5 TV user experiences at CES 2015
- HBO GO now available on Amazon Fire TV
- Deluxe expands 4K UHD capabilities of Deluxe OnDemand™
- BT enters into exclusive negotiations to acquire EE
- Poland’s nc+ extends capacity agreement with Eutelsat
- Carr Communications selects Inca Networks transcoder for IPTV service
- Czech and Slovak public broadcasters begin Ultra HD test broadcasts on ASTRA 3B
- Cisco leads in both Video Infrastructure Software and Hardware