Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Over 200 million connected TVs and attached content devices expected in U.S. homes by 2015
Dec 19, 2013 – By 2015, there will be 202 million Internet-capable TV devices in U.S homes, a 44 percent increase from the 140 million at the start of 2013, according to the new Connected Home Forecast report from NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV device ownership to double by 2017
Dec 16, 2013 – The global number of Connected TV Devices is set to grow from an average of just 0.5 per household in 2013 to 1.0 per household by 2017, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Watkins, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Home Networking, Market Research, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
Dec 9, 2013 – Shipments of OTT-capable devices will rise 20 percent this year from 1.43 billion units in 2012, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS). At 1.7 billion units, this equates to one out of every four people on the planet.
News categories: IHS Inc, Jordan Selburn, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Panasonic licenses Rovi DivX HEVC for DTV and Blu-ray ICs
Nov 12, 2013 – Rovi (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced that it has signed an agreement with Panasonic SoC to integrate Rovi's DivX® HEVC technology into its next-generation digital television and Blu-ray Disc ICs.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Panasonic, Koji Kitamura, Dr. Kanaan Jemili, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Media Player, Semiconductor, Smart TV
Installed base of internet-connected video devices to exceed global population in 2017
Oct 8, 2013 – More than 8 billion Internet-connected video devices will be installed worldwide in 2017, exceeding the population of the planet, according to research from the Broadband Technology Service at IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Merrick Kingston, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
58% of TVs sold in Germany are now smart
Aug 5, 2013 – According to a survey carried out by GfK for Germany's Federal Association for Information Technology, Telecommunications and New Media (BITKOM), 58% of the televisions sold so far this year in the country are capable of being connected to the internet.
News categories: BITKOM, Blu-ray, Games Console, Germany, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 – Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
iWedia selected by Google as Software integrator for Google TV
Jan 9, 2013 – iWedia has announced that it has concluded an agreement with Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) to provide iWedia integration services to Google partners wishing to deploy the Google TV platform in their products.
News categories: iWedia, Google TV, Blu-ray, CES, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
- TV advertising regains its mojo
- Conditional access market set to decline
- NTT adds 4K Range Extensions support to H.265/HEVC codec SDK
- TCL announces Roku TV line-up for the U.S.
- Hisense Roku TV H4 series to hit U.S. stores soon
- Over 820 Ultra HD satellite channels worldwide by 2025
- SES wins exploitation rights for two Brazilian orbital positions
- CSTV selects Octoshape to power OTT service for Samsung devices
- SES to deliver DTH services across French-speaking West Africa
- Cable broadband subscribers surpass cable TV subscribers in U.S.
- Mobiles with 4K screens to reach 478m units by 2019
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lose 300k subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers stable at 4.82 million
- MaxLinear introduces ISDB-T USB dongle reference design
- Venezuela adds 170,000 pay TV subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Green Hills deploys APMAX IPTV middleware
- Irdeto reveals FIFA World Cup 2014 pirate streaming figures
- Ittiam makes available H.265/HEVC codec with 422 12-bit support
- 3Home and Letv launch 4K TV broadband bundle in Hong Kong
- Espial to show DVB-based, HTML5 TV UI for RDK at IBC