Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Over 200 million connected TVs and attached content devices expected in U.S. homes by 2015
Dec 19, 2013 – By 2015, there will be 202 million Internet-capable TV devices in U.S homes, a 44 percent increase from the 140 million at the start of 2013, according to the new Connected Home Forecast report from NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV device ownership to double by 2017
Dec 16, 2013 – The global number of Connected TV Devices is set to grow from an average of just 0.5 per household in 2013 to 1.0 per household by 2017, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Eric Smith, David Watkins, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Home Networking, Market Research, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Shipments of OTT-enabled devices set to reach 1.7 billion this year
Dec 9, 2013 – Shipments of OTT-capable devices will rise 20 percent this year from 1.43 billion units in 2012, according to IHS (NYSE: IHS). At 1.7 billion units, this equates to one out of every four people on the planet.
News categories: IHS Inc, Jordan Selburn, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Panasonic licenses Rovi DivX HEVC for DTV and Blu-ray ICs
Nov 12, 2013 – Rovi (Nasdaq:ROVI) has announced that it has signed an agreement with Panasonic SoC to integrate Rovi's DivX® HEVC technology into its next-generation digital television and Blu-ray Disc ICs.
News categories: Rovi Corp, Panasonic, Koji Kitamura, Dr. Kanaan Jemili, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Media Player, Semiconductor, Smart TV
Installed base of internet-connected video devices to exceed global population in 2017
Oct 8, 2013 – More than 8 billion Internet-connected video devices will be installed worldwide in 2017, exceeding the population of the planet, according to research from the Broadband Technology Service at IHS (NYSE: IHS).
News categories: IHS Inc, Merrick Kingston, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, PC Video, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
58% of TVs sold in Germany are now smart
Aug 5, 2013 – According to a survey carried out by GfK for Germany's Federal Association for Information Technology, Telecommunications and New Media (BITKOM), 58% of the televisions sold so far this year in the country are capable of being connected to the internet.
News categories: BITKOM, Blu-ray, Games Console, Germany, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 – Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
iWedia selected by Google as Software integrator for Google TV
Jan 9, 2013 – iWedia has announced that it has concluded an agreement with Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) to provide iWedia integration services to Google partners wishing to deploy the Google TV platform in their products.
News categories: iWedia, Google TV, Blu-ray, CES, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
- Thailand's NBTC proposes ฿690 DTT receiver subsidy coupoon
- Digital TV Research provides Netflix subscriber split by country
- Entropic licenses Cryptography Research DPA countermeasures
- AT&T adds 190,000 U-verse TV subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Vega launches IPTV service in Ukraine
- Seagate launches channel on Roku
- Service Electric chooses ARRIS for delivery of TV Everywhere
- Comporium adds ARRIS TV-everywhere box to its offer
- Consolidated chooses ARRIS Whole Home Solution and ConvergeMedia Management Suite
- Ultra HD TVs make gains but still lack market penetration
- SES launches digital TV platform for West Africa
- Satellite TV revenues to reach $100 billion
- STMicroelectronics Reports 2014 Second Quarter Financial Results
- Broadcom reports second quarter 2014 results
- Pay TV operator software spending shrinks in developed markets
- UK's YouView plans expansion
- Dish TV India adds 332 thousand subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Verizon adds 100,000 FiOS Video connections in 2Q 2014
- Comcast video subscribers down 144,000 in 2Q 2014
- Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline