Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Nearly 1 billion TV sets Internet connected by 2020
Sep 17, 2014 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 965 million by 2020, up from 103 million at end-2010 and the 339 million expected at end-2014, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Asia, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Europe, Games Console, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Worldwide
U.S. ownership of connected TV devices to grow 100% by 2017
Jul 21, 2014 – By 2017 there will be 204 million connected TV devices linked to the Internet and able to deliver apps to viewers, more than double the projected number of U.S. Internet households, according to the latest NPD forecast.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Global connected TV device ownership passes 1 billion units
Jul 9, 2014 – The global installed base of Connected TV devices (including Smart TVs, Games Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Digital Media Adapters and Set-Top Boxes) will double over the next 5 years exceeding 2 billion units by 2018 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
49% of U.S. households have a TV connected to the internet
Jun 6, 2014 – New consumer research from LRG finds that 49% of US households have at least one television set connected to the Internet via a video game system, Blu-ray player, smart TV set, and/or stand-alone device, up from 38% in 2012, and 24% in 2010.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
UltraViolet movie viewership on TVs surges 43% in U.S.
May 21, 2014 – Well over half of the 16 million UltraViolet (UV) users in the U.S. are now viewing their content on a TV. Connected TVs and Blu-ray players are among the favored platforms for this activity, according to NPD.
News categories: NPD Group, Justin Bailey, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
42 Million U.S. homes are connecting through TVs or attached content devices
May 15, 2014 – During Q1 of 2014 there were 42 million U.S. households with a TV connected to the Internet, either via a video game console, Blu-ray disc player, streaming media player or the TV itself, according to the NPD Connected Intelligence.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, TV Everywhere, USA
Global VOD/EST and DVD/Blu-ray sales to pass $43Bn in 2019
May 1, 2014 – Worldwide VOD rentals (OTT and pay TV operator), electronic sell-through (EST), and DVD/Blu-ray disc sales are expected to grow 40% from 2013 to 2019 – growing from USD 30.6B in 2013 to over 43B in 2019.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Blu-ray, Cable TV, DVD, IPTV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Satellite, Worldwide
One billion TV-centric connected devices now in homes
Jan 28, 2014 – The global installed base of TV-centric connected devices surpassed one billion units in 2013 and will exceed two billion by 2017, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource, Jack Wetherill, Blu-ray, CES, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Digital Entertainment Group released year-end 2013 U.S. Home Entertainment Report
Jan 7, 2014 – Stability in home entertainment continued for the second straight year in 2013. Results were boosted by the growing awareness and acceptance of digital services and products offered by both online and brick and mortar retailers.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, USA
- Wyplay integrates V-Nova PERSEUS video compression technology
- AT&T U-Verse TV adds 50,000 subscribers in 1Q 2015
- Worldwide semiconductor sales expected to grow 4% in 2015
- Nagra enables StarHub to deliver IPTV offering to all-IP fibre network
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi CPE shipments to hit 71 million units in 2015
- Broadcom reports first quarter 2015 results
- Nagra introduces new secure Google Chrome web browser plug-in for pay-TV operators
- TR-069-enabled devices to pass 350 million in 2016
- Sequans and Expway deliver LTE Broadcast over Wi-Fi solution
- Verizon adds 90,000 net FiOS Video connections in 1Q 2015
- OTT TV market to increase fourfold by 2019
- Telekom Slovenije selects Viaccess-Orca player for OTT delivery
- Frog by Wyplay powers Sky Italia HD decoders
- Netflix' international business yet to turn a profit
- Global 4K display market to reach $52 billion in 2020
- HUMAX joins Frog by Wyplay
- One million IPTV customers for Bell Canada
- South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
- Video infrastructure markets to grow 37% over the next 5 year
- Montenegro pay TV subscribers up 2,346 in 1Q 2015