Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Freeview Play comes to Panasonic PVR and Blu-Ray products
Dec 2, 2015 – Panasonic has announced that its UK customers will now be able to enjoy Freeview Play on its new PVR and Blu-ray recorders. Customers can now benefit from on demand and all Freeview channels on both its 2015 TV range and its PVR and Blu-ray products.
News categories: Freeview, Panasonic, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
Nov 27, 2015 – Global shipments of connected TV Devices (including Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, Game Consoles and Digital Media Streamers) reached 53 million units in Q3 and are on target to hit 221 million units for the full year, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Chirag Upadhyay, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sony Pictures unveils first 4K Ultra HD discs
Nov 10, 2015 – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) has announced the studio’s first releases in the 4K Ultra HD Disc format, which will arrive in early 2016. SPHE’s 4K Ultra HD Discs include high dynamic range (HDR).
News categories: Sony Pictures, Man Jit Singh, Blu-ray, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
Xbox and PlayStation most popular online video platforms in the U.S.
Nov 4, 2015 – Research from Parks Associates finds that 21% of U.S. broadband households with at least one Internet-connected CE device use a streaming media player as the primary platform for online video, up from 12% a year ago.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
BluFocus first Ultra HD Blu-ray test center in North America
Oct 29, 2015 – BluFocus has announced that it has been approved as the first BDA 'Ultra HD Blu-ray' Test Center in North America for Movie Player Verification, Application Software Verification and Commercial Audiovisual Content Verification.
News categories: BluFocus, Juan Reyes, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Infrastructure, North America, USA
Global streaming media device sales to hit 86 million units in 2019
Oct 22, 2015 – Parks Associates research has found that global annual unit sales for streaming media devices, including both player and stick form factors, will increase from 30 million units in 2013 to 86 million units in 2019.
News categories: Parks Associates, Stuart Sikes, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
Digital TV Research Newsletter October 2015
Sep 30, 2015 – Digital TV Research has announced the publication of its October 2015 market research newsletter. According to the newsletter, the connected TV set boom is set to continue, and the Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa OTT TV and video market is to grow by $2.2 billion.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Blu-ray, Brazil, Digital TV, Europe, Games Console, Korea, Market Research, Middle-East, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers
Half of U.S. internet homes own a connected TV device
Aug 26, 2015 – According to The NPD Group, the CE industry reached a milestone in the second quarter with half of U.S. Internet homes now owning a Connected TV device. This includes connected TVs, video game consoles, streaming media players, and Blu-ray Disc players.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV set boom continues
Aug 12, 2015 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 876 million by 2020, up from 105 million at end-2010 and the 415 million expected at end-2015, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- DIRECTV up 342k; U-Verse down 391k; DTVLA up 87k subscribers in 2Q 2016
- Comcast unveils plans to roll out Xfinity prepaid services
- Rogers TV subscribers down 23,000 in 2Q 2016
- CAST introduces Ultra HD-capable video compression cores
- DISH Network TV subscribers decline 281,000 in Q2 2016
- Pay-TV and VOD revenues to hit €3bn in German-speaking territories
- Millicom cable RGUs up 41,000 in 2Q 2016
- 59% of U.S. households have an SVOD service
- TV display supply shortage could continue into Q3
- Rohde & Schwarz to install DVB-T2 network in Oman
- TalkTalk TV subscribers down 23,000 in Q2 2016
- China’s online video market to quadruple
- 55% of U.S. OTT services are subscription-only
- TELUS first to launch 4K TV in Western Canada
- Foxxum Smart TV adds ivi.ru app
- OTT TV & video revenues to generate $65 billion
- US 4K UHD display shipments to grow by 105% in 2016
- Majority of U.S. broadband homes to have a smart home controller by 2020
- Intertrust applauds launch of Tivùon!
- Golden Brick to acquire non-TV parts of Opera's consumer business