Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
U.S. OTT TV viewing is higher in Gen X, Kid households
Jul 22, 2015 – According to a report from GfK, U.S. households with at least one member of Generation X (roughly ages 35 to 49), and those where children (ages 17 and under) are present, are much more likely to stream video and view other content using an Internet-connected device attached to a TV.
News categories: GfK, David Tice, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Connected TV in more than half of U.S. households
May 27, 2015 – Research from Leichtman Research (LRG) has found that 56% of all US households have at least one television set connected to the Internet via a video game system, a smart TV set, a Blu-ray player, and/or a stand-alone device.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and logo released
May 12, 2015 – The Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) has announced completion of the Ultra HD Blu-ray specification and released the new logo that will delineate Ultra HD Blu-ray products. The Ultra HD Blu-ray specification will enable delivery of Ultra HD content via Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc to UHD TV households.
News categories: Blu-ray Disc Association, Victor Matsuda, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Licensing, Worldwide
Over 100 million Freeview-capable devices sold in UK
May 12, 2015 – Freeview in the UK has passed the 100 million mark for the number of DTT TVs and boxes sold since its launch in 2002. The figure includes all televisions, set-top boxes and DVD and Blu-ray devices with an inbuilt Freeview DVB-T SD or HD tuner.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Connected TVs surpass connected Blu-ray Disc players in the U.S.
Mar 2, 2015 – According to The NPD Group, ownership of Internet connected TVs is now more common than Internet connected Blu-ray Disc players, of which U.S. consumers own 20 million. Video game consoles and streaming media players, however, are still the most used TV app platforms.
News categories: Connected Intelligence, NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Panasonic shows next generation Blu-ray disc player prototype at CES 2015
Jan 5, 2015 – Panasonic has announced that it has developed the world's first Blu-ray Disc™ player supporting technologies such as 4K and High Dynamic Range, which are expected to be adopted in the next generation Blu-ray Disc standard (ULTRA HD BLU-RAY™).
News categories: Panasonic, Blu-ray, CES, Digital TV, Japan, Worldwide
1.9 connected TV devices per broadband household in USA
Dec 10, 2014 – Ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) in the U.S. grew 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q3 2014 and 28 percent year-on-year to reach 168 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Walmart makes customers' DVDs available on VUDU
Oct 14, 2014 – VUDU and Walmart have launched InstaWatch. Instawatch gives customers a digital copy on VUDU of every eligible DVD or Blu-ray that a customer buys at Walmart, either in store or online.
News categories: VUDU, Walmart, Apps, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, USA
Global connected TV device installed base hits half a billion units in Q2 2014
Oct 2, 2014 – Worldwide ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) grew 7 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q2 2014 to reach 500 million units according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- PEMRA shortlists 8 companies in DTH licence tender
- 221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
- EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
- SkyVision launches satellite TV platforms for Africa
- 4K TVs to reach 23% market penetration in 2016
- PS4 sales surpass 30.2 million units worldwide
- Mariner xVu now monitoring over 30 million devices
- Venezuela's Pay TV subscribers up 146,000 in 2Q 2015
- Kyivstar launches IPTV across its FTTB network in Ukraine
- O2 Czech Republic introduces OTT set-top box
- 57% of Western European households own at least one connected CE device
- Active DTH subscribers in India fell 1.41 million in 2Q 2015
- V-Nova powers Real Madrid vs. Barcelona UltraHD broadcast
- FLIX.TV acquires satellite broadcasting licence in the Czech Republic
- Next Step to offer DTH TV platform in Thailand with Intelsat
- CAN Tech and Stream TV partner to provide Glasses-Free 3D content
- Tricolor TV begins broadcasting of Ultra HD package
- DVB approves UHD-1 Phase 2 Commercial Requirements
- Celeno Wi-Fi chips to power Altech gateways and STBs
- Sky unveils Sky Q home entertainment system