Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
1.9 connected TV devices per broadband household in USA
Dec 10, 2014 – Ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) in the U.S. grew 5 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q3 2014 and 28 percent year-on-year to reach 168 million units.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Walmart makes customers' DVDs available on VUDU
Oct 14, 2014 – VUDU and Walmart have launched InstaWatch. Instawatch gives customers a digital copy on VUDU of every eligible DVD or Blu-ray that a customer buys at Walmart, either in store or online.
News categories: VUDU, Walmart, Apps, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, USA
Global connected TV device installed base hits half a billion units in Q2 2014
Oct 2, 2014 – Worldwide ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) grew 7 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q2 2014 to reach 500 million units according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Digital now revenue backbone of home entertainment
Oct 1, 2014 – Growth in digital subscriptions, rentals and purchases will hold total consumer revenue from traditional home entertainment sources steady, according to new analysis released at the PEVE Entertainment Business conference, held by IHS.
News categories: IHS Inc, Dan Cryan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
MPEG LA offers HEVC patent portfolio license
Sep 29, 2014 – MPEG LA has announced the availability of the HEVC Patent Portfolio License. The joint license includes patents that are essential to the High Efficiency Video Coding standard (HEVC, also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2).
News categories: MPEG LA, Larry Horn, Bill Geary, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Licensing, Patent, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Netflix viewing on digital media players surges in U.S.
Sep 26, 2014 – A growing number of US households are relying on dedicated set-top/plug-in devices (a.k.a., digital media players) to watch Netflix on a TV set, according to a GfK study, Over-the-Top TV 2014.
News categories: GfK, David Tice, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Game console primary connected CE device for 28% of US homes
Sep 23, 2014 – Parks Associates has announced research that shows 46% of U.S. broadband households have a game console connected to the Internet and over one-quarter (28%) use the connected gaming console as their primary connected CE device.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Nearly 1 billion TV sets Internet connected by 2020
Sep 17, 2014 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 965 million by 2020, up from 103 million at end-2010 and the 339 million expected at end-2014, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Asia, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Europe, Games Console, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Worldwide
U.S. ownership of connected TV devices to grow 100% by 2017
Jul 21, 2014 – By 2017 there will be 204 million connected TV devices linked to the Internet and able to deliver apps to viewers, more than double the projected number of U.S. Internet households, according to the latest NPD forecast.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
- Ziggo leads drop in Dutch TV subscriptions in Q2 2015
- Opera TV debuts HbbTV 2.0 SDK for TV and STB manufacturers
- Com Hem unifies delivery of linear and multiscreen TV with Elemental
- ALi introduces STB/Sound Bar combo
- Half of U.S. internet homes own a connected TV device
- SCSA releases VIDITY licensing specifications
- Technicolor and Fraunhofer announce MPEG-H Audio licensing program
- 1,400 satellites to launch over the next decade
- DTH driving HDTV boom in South Asia
- 24.8 million connected TV sets in the top 5 Latin American countries
- HGI sets requirements for home network devices
- EU seeks views on the Satellite and Cable Directive
- SoftBank and Netflix Japan announce partnership
- SIXTY announces lightweight STB user interface framework
- Ziggo's triple-play market share in Holland under pressure
- Portugal adds 36,000 pay TV subscribers in 2Q 2015
- EUTELSAT 8 West B successfully launched
- Via Licensing issues call for MPEG-H 3D Audio patents
- Intelsat announces successful launch of Intelsat 34
- Amazon, Apple, Google, and Roku dominate streaming media device market