Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Digital now revenue backbone of home entertainment
Oct 1, 2014 – Growth in digital subscriptions, rentals and purchases will hold total consumer revenue from traditional home entertainment sources steady, according to new analysis released at the PEVE Entertainment Business conference, held by IHS.
News categories: IHS Inc, Dan Cryan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
MPEG LA offers HEVC patent portfolio license
Sep 29, 2014 – MPEG LA has announced the availability of the HEVC Patent Portfolio License. The joint license includes patents that are essential to the High Efficiency Video Coding standard (HEVC, also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2).
News categories: MPEG LA, Larry Horn, Bill Geary, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Licensing, Patent, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Netflix viewing on digital media players surges in U.S.
Sep 26, 2014 – A growing number of US households are relying on dedicated set-top/plug-in devices (a.k.a., digital media players) to watch Netflix on a TV set, according to a GfK study, Over-the-Top TV 2014.
News categories: GfK, David Tice, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Game console primary connected CE device for 28% of US homes
Sep 23, 2014 – Parks Associates has announced research that shows 46% of U.S. broadband households have a game console connected to the Internet and over one-quarter (28%) use the connected gaming console as their primary connected CE device.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Nearly 1 billion TV sets Internet connected by 2020
Sep 17, 2014 – The number of TV sets connected to the Internet will reach 965 million by 2020, up from 103 million at end-2010 and the 339 million expected at end-2014, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Asia, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Europe, Games Console, Latin America, Market Research, Middle-East, North America, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Worldwide
U.S. ownership of connected TV devices to grow 100% by 2017
Jul 21, 2014 – By 2017 there will be 204 million connected TV devices linked to the Internet and able to deliver apps to viewers, more than double the projected number of U.S. Internet households, according to the latest NPD forecast.
News categories: NPD Connected Intelligence, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Global connected TV device ownership passes 1 billion units
Jul 9, 2014 – The global installed base of Connected TV devices (including Smart TVs, Games Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Digital Media Adapters and Set-Top Boxes) will double over the next 5 years exceeding 2 billion units by 2018 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
49% of U.S. households have a TV connected to the internet
Jun 6, 2014 – New consumer research from LRG finds that 49% of US households have at least one television set connected to the Internet via a video game system, Blu-ray player, smart TV set, and/or stand-alone device, up from 38% in 2012, and 24% in 2010.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
UltraViolet movie viewership on TVs surges 43% in U.S.
May 21, 2014 – Well over half of the 16 million UltraViolet (UV) users in the U.S. are now viewing their content on a TV. Connected TVs and Blu-ray players are among the favored platforms for this activity, according to NPD.
News categories: NPD Group, Justin Bailey, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
- HbbTV places contracts for HbbTV 2.0 test suite
- Pay TV in 21% of TV households in East Africa
- StarTimes to distribute DTH across Sub-Saharan Africa with SES
- Pricing pressure drags on TV Set-Top Box market
- High churn rates for U.S. OTT video services
- Broadcom reports second quarter 2015 results
- Videocon d2h releases Direct To Mobile TV app
- Time Warner Cable residential video subscribers down 45,000 in 2Q 2015
- BT TV adds 60,000 subscribers in 2Q 2015
- STB shipments to South Asian countries rise 20% in Q2 2015
- Central American pay-TV subscribers to hit 5.57 million by 2018
- 4K TV shipments to exceed 30 million units in 2015
- BSkyB adds 113,000 TV subscribers in 2Q 2015
- Telecom Italia to add Netflix to TIMvision set-top box
- One third of cable subscribers to be passed by DOCSIS 3.1 by April 2017
- Telstra to launch streaming TV service with Roku
- Dish TV adds 390 thousand subscribers in 2Q 2015
- PathPartner announces HEVC codec for x86 platforms
- Flat Panel Display revenues forecast to fall in 2015
- Harmonic powers Japan's first live Full-Frame 4K Ultra HD channel for EHIME CATV