Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
ViXS and sMedio join forces to launch Ultra HD Blu-ray player solution
Jan 8, 2016 – In response to the imminent availability of multiple Ultra HD Blu-ray disc titles in early 2016, ViXS Systems Inc. (TSX: VXS) and sMedio (Tokyo: 3913) have announce the availability of an Ultra HD Blu-ray player solution.
News categories: ViXS Systems, sMedio, Twentieth Century Fox, Sohail Khan, Shunsuke Tanaka, Danny Kaye, Blu-ray, CES2016, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Worldwide
MediaTek launches SoC for Ultra-HD 4K Blu-ray players
Jan 4, 2016 – MediaTek has announced its MT8581, a multimedia system-on-chip for Ultra High Definition (4K) Blu-ray players. The MT8581 will power the industry's first Blu-ray players to use both Ultra-HD (UHD) and high-dynamic range imaging (HDR).
News categories: MediaTek, Joe Chen, Blu-ray, CES2016, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Warner Bros announces first Ultra HD Blu-ray titles
Dec 29, 2015 – To coincide with the availability of Ultra HD Blu-ray players in the marketplace in early 2016, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be offering four titles on Ultra HD Blu-ray at initial launch showcasing 4K Ultra HD resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR).
News categories: Warner Bros, Ron Sanders, Blu-ray, Digital TV, USA
Freeview Play comes to Panasonic PVR and Blu-Ray products
Dec 2, 2015 – Panasonic has announced that its UK customers will now be able to enjoy Freeview Play on its new PVR and Blu-ray recorders. Customers can now benefit from on demand and all Freeview channels on both its 2015 TV range and its PVR and Blu-ray products.
News categories: Freeview, Panasonic, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
Nov 27, 2015 – Global shipments of connected TV Devices (including Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, Game Consoles and Digital Media Streamers) reached 53 million units in Q3 and are on target to hit 221 million units for the full year, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Chirag Upadhyay, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sony Pictures unveils first 4K Ultra HD discs
Nov 10, 2015 – Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (SPHE) has announced the studio’s first releases in the 4K Ultra HD Disc format, which will arrive in early 2016. SPHE’s 4K Ultra HD Discs include high dynamic range (HDR).
News categories: Sony Pictures, Man Jit Singh, Blu-ray, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
Xbox and PlayStation most popular online video platforms in the U.S.
Nov 4, 2015 – Research from Parks Associates finds that 21% of U.S. broadband households with at least one Internet-connected CE device use a streaming media player as the primary platform for online video, up from 12% a year ago.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
BluFocus first Ultra HD Blu-ray test center in North America
Oct 29, 2015 – BluFocus has announced that it has been approved as the first BDA 'Ultra HD Blu-ray' Test Center in North America for Movie Player Verification, Application Software Verification and Commercial Audiovisual Content Verification.
News categories: BluFocus, Juan Reyes, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Infrastructure, North America, USA
Global streaming media device sales to hit 86 million units in 2019
Oct 22, 2015 – Parks Associates research has found that global annual unit sales for streaming media devices, including both player and stick form factors, will increase from 30 million units in 2013 to 86 million units in 2019.
News categories: Parks Associates, Stuart Sikes, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
- Socionext develops ISDB-S3 demodulator with channel bonding option for cable retrans
- 50 operators control two-thirds of global pay TV subs
- Amazon releases Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote
- Verimatrix releases evaluation app for connected devices
- TV viewers would rather watch ad-supported online TV than pay for a subscription
- U.S. connected entertainment device adoption grew 11% in 2015
- Novus selects Ericsson Mediaroom for IPTV in Vancouver
- Harmonic to show industry's first software-based CCAP solution at SCTE
- Five NCTC members sign up for Evolution Digital eVUE-TV
- TiVo adds personalization and discovery to Fan TV
- izzi Telecom selects ARRIS compression for HDTV in Mexico
- Eastlink selects ARRIS for HEVC and UltraHD compression
- ATEME powers Globo 4K HDR VOD
- shomi to shut down on November 30, 2016
- Ericsson expands DVR services for VTR Chile and Liberty Puerto Rico
- GatesAir announces TV transmitter deals in Vietnam
- ARRIS Whole Home Solution becomes Espial Elevate
- U.S. pay TV penetration returns to the level of 2005
- Freeview Play spec adds HEVC and Ultra HD via broadband
- Conditional Access market to exhibit CAGR of 9.1% to 2025