Blu-ray Disc (BD) News
Nearly half of U.S. internet-capable home entertainment devices are connected and used
May 1, 2013 – Forty-seven percent of home entertainment devices are currently connected and being used for their online capabilities. But the degree to which these devices are used online varies significantly, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
iWedia selected by Google as Software integrator for Google TV
Jan 9, 2013 – iWedia has announced that it has concluded an agreement with Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) to provide iWedia integration services to Google partners wishing to deploy the Google TV platform in their products.
News categories: iWedia, Google TV, Blu-ray, CES, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
More than 400 Million Devices are Connected in U.S. Homes
Jan 2, 2013 – There are 425 million devices connected to the Internet in U.S. homes, according to a report from The NPD Group. The report found that while computers are still the primary connected device, numerous others are diminishing the computer's relevance to the broadband content marketplace.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA
Global 3-D Market Flourishes Across Cinema, Home Video and TV VoD Platforms
Dec 20, 2012 – The global 3-D consumer market is thriving in a dynamic environment marked by clear and discernible growth across its major platforms, including cinema, home video and pay-TV video on demand, according to an IHS Screen Digest report.
News categories: Screen Digest, 3D, Blu-ray, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Global Blu-ray Disc Player Installed Base to Hit 100 Million in 2012
Nov 7, 2012 – Despite the slower than expected growth in the Blu-ray disc player market, the global installed base of standalone Blu-ray Disc (BD) players will hit the 100 million unit mark by the end of 2012, according to a recent Strategy Analytics forecast.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research
Silicon Image Announces Video Processors for Home Theater Applications
Oct 1, 2012 – Silicon Image (NASDAQ: SIMG) has announced two upscaling video processors, designed to also enhance the picture quality of streaming or downloaded Internet video.
News categories: Silicon Image, Blu-ray, CEATEC, ICs, OTT, Semiconductor
ViXS Media Processor and Dual Stream HD Transcoder Powers Toshiba Blu-ray and CE Products
Aug 29, 2012 – ViXS Systems has announced that the ViXS XCode 4210 powers Toshiba's BD standalone and integrated BD module for HDTVs. The XCode 4210 is a network media processor and transcoding single chip System on Chip (SoC).
News categories: ViXS Systems, Toshiba, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Smart TV
DVDs and Blu-ray Discs Still Consumers' Choice for Feature-Length Movie Rentals
Aug 8, 2012 – According to The NPD Group, rentals of physical DVDs and Blu-ray discs (BDs) from kiosks, brick-and-mortar retailers, and Netflix Movies by Mail accounted for 62 percent of movie rental orders during the first half of this year.
News categories: NPD Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
- ALi ATSC SoC designed-in by Funai for Mexico STB
- Altech UEC manufactures 20 millionth set-top box
- Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
- Ecuador adds 443 thousand pay TV subscribers in 2013
- Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
- Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
- DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
- Roku announces HDMI Roku Streaming Stick
- Philippines' CignalTV subscribers pass 600,000 in 2013
- Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland drop 57,600 in 2013
- Pace preliminary results for the year ended 31 December 2013
- Chunghwa Telecom launches TVs with MOD IPTV integrated
- ZTE ranked no. 1 in IPTV middleware, VOD and STBs
- DISH secures rights to Disney, ABC & ESPN content for OTT service
- CableLabs & Cisco open IPTV Innovations Lab
- Mobistar selects Viaccess-Orca CA to secure cable TV services
- FreeviewPlus for Australia unveiled
- Malawi issues tender for supply of DVB-T2 STBs
- Two-in-five Pay TV households to have STB apps by 2019
- České Radiokomunikace to extend DVB-T2 trial to cover Ultra HD