Cable TV (CATV, DVB-C, MMDS, …) News
U.S. cord cutting slows while satellite suffers record customer losses in Q2 2018
Aug 16, 2018 – According to Kagan, the pressure on traditional U.S. multichannel subscriptions abated in the second quarter – a positive direction that is further supported by the forwarded momentum of virtual services Sling TV and DIRECTV NOW.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Global spend on TV and Video will reach $559 billion in 2022
Aug 14, 2018 – Strategy Analytics has forecast that global consumer and advertising spend on TV and video will grow from $490 billion in 2017 to $559 billion in 2022, an increase of $69 billion. Spend on OTT video will account for 90% of the growth.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~415,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018
Aug 13, 2018 – Leichtman Research (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 415,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2018, compared to a pro forma loss of about 660,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
Aug 9, 2018 – Consumers have saved $3.5 billion, and more than 20 million metric tons of CO2 emissions have been avoided as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates, according to D+R International.
News categories: CTA, ACEEE, NRDC, NCTA, D+R International, Doug Johnson, Jennifer Amann, Noah Horowitz, Neal Goldberg, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
St. John Telco using IPTV middleware from Innovative Systems
Aug 2, 2018 – Covering a 250 square mile area of Washington state south of Spokane, St. John Telco is replacing their Cable TV system with IPTV using the Innovative Systems IPTV Middleware for the customer experience.
News categories: Innovative Systems, Eric Trump, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, USA
Amazon Prime Video app to be available on Comcast's X1 later this year
Aug 2, 2018 – Comcast and Amazon have announced a deal to launch Prime Video on Comcast’s Xfinity X1 - the first time that Amazon Prime Video content has been integrated on an MVPD platform in the US.
News categories: Comcast, Amazon, Dana Strong, Greg Hart, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
RCN rolls out TiVo experience with voice remote control
Jul 31, 2018 – RCN has announced the availability of its new TiVo interface. Customers can now enjoy enhanced capabilities including a voice command remote control, viewing recommendations and fast content navigation, among other innovative features.
News categories: RCN, TiVo, Chris Fenger, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA, UX
Alticast helps deliver Thailand’s first 4K UHD channel
Jul 31, 2018 – Alticast has announced that its software platform, AltiPlatform, was instrumental in launching Thailand’s first 4K UHD channel with TrueVisions. The service, capable of transmitting UHD for both cable and DTH, rolled out on June 24.
News categories: Alticast, TrueVisions, Dosa Park, Sueksith Cholasuek, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box, Thailand
Charter residential video customers down 73,000 in 2Q 2018
Jul 31, 2018 – Charter Communications has reported results for period ended June 30, 2018. Residential video customers decreased by 73,000 in the second quarter of 2018, while second quarter 2017 video customers decreased by 91,000.
News categories: Charter Communications, Cable TV, Digital TV, Results, Subscribers, USA
- U.S. cord cutting slows while satellite suffers record customer losses in Q2 2018
- Gracenote mobile video analytics gives view on streaming app performance
- iflix and Wattpad to produce movies based on Wattpad stories from Indonesia
- U.S. voice-activated speaker sales to grow 50% by 2019
- Cogeco Connexion to introduce MediaFirst IPTV platform
- Global spend on TV and Video will reach $559 billion in 2022
- Telaria integrates Nielsen digital ad ratings
- Accedo launches AI project with AWS and ITV
- Kudelski's SmarDTV device business becomes Neotion affiliate
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~415,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018
- Global connected TV device installed base passes one billion unit mark
- Google closes gap on Amazon in smart speaker market in Q2 2018
- Minute.ly launches real-time AI video analysis for live streams
- Europeans spending two more hours a month watching on-demand video
- Netflix on verge of 2 million viewers in New Zealand
- Astro launches first 4K UHD broadcast in Malaysia
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 208 million
- U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
- Brightline adds Cuebiq's footfall attribution to OTT ad platform
- TELUS first in Canada with 24/7 linear 4K HDR channel