Cable TV (CATV, DVB-C, MMDS, …) News
Televisa to expand TV CDN with Edgeware solution
Nov 9, 2018 – Edgeware has announced that Televisa will expand its existing TV CDN, adding more capacity and new time-shift features to its service. The time-shift capabilities will enable viewers to pause and rewind up to three hours of TV.
News categories: Edgeware, Televisa, Karl Thedéen, Carlos Eduardo Romero, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mexico
enTouch selects Minerva YourTV Now to deliver advanced Pay TV services
Nov 7, 2018 – Minerva Networks has announced that its cloud television service is being adopted by enTouch out of Houston, Texas. enTouch will migrate from their legacy cable TV offering to a next-generation solution to deliver advanced video services to their broadband subscribers.
News categories: Minerva Networks, enTouch, Mauro Bonomi, Sam Luxton, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, USA
Nuance Dragon TV powers Telecentro voice-enabled TV UI
Nov 7, 2018 – Nuance Communications (NASDAQ: NUAN) has announced that its Dragon TV platform brings new conversational AI capabilities to Telecentro’s TV service. Telecentro is the first provider in Latin America to deploy Dragon TV.
News categories: Nuance Communications, Telecentro, Adam Thibault, Alberto Pierri, Argentina, Cable TV, Digital TV, UX
The number of cable homes in Europe grew once again in 2017
Nov 7, 2018 – The number of cable homes in Europe once again grew in 2017, reaching 69.2 million and comprising 36.3% of all TV households. This was the largest number of cable homes in Europe since 2009 according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) and Cable Europe.
News categories: IHS Markit, Cable Europe, Maria Rua Aguete, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, Subscribers
Telekom Srbija acquires Kopernikus Technology
Nov 6, 2018 – Abris Capital Partners has sold 100% of its shares in its Serbian portfolio company, Kopernikus Technology, to Telekom Serbia. Prior to the sale to Telekom Serbia, Kopernikus Technology was the leading consolidator of Serbia's cable sector.
News categories: Abris Capital Partners, Telekom Serbia, Kopernikus Technology, Milorad Anđelić, Predrag Ćulibrk, Srdjan Milovanović, Cable TV, Digital TV, MnA, Serbia
Charter residential video customers down 66,000 in 3Q 2018
Oct 26, 2018 – Charter Communications has reported results for period ended September 30, 2018. Residential video customers decreased by 66,000 in the third quarter of 2018, while third quarter 2017 video customers decreased by 104,000.
News categories: Charter Communications, Cable TV, Digital TV, Results, Subscribers, USA
Comcast video subscribers down 106,000 in 3Q 2018
Oct 25, 2018 – Comcast Corporation (NASDAQ: CMCSA) has reported results for the quarter ended September 30, 2018. For the period, total high-speed internet customer net additions were 363,000, total video customer net losses were 106,000.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Subscribers, USA
Alticast middleware powers STB for SKY in the Philippines
Oct 23, 2018 – Alticast has announced that the Philippines’ largest cable and broadband technology partner, SKY, a subsidiary of ABS-CBN, has selected Alticast products and solutions to deploy their high-end, linux-based SKY On Demand set-top box.
News categories: Alticast, SKY, Dosa Park, Jose Joevel E Rivera, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Philippines, Set Top Box
ARRIS extends growth with customer wins in APAC
Oct 23, 2018 – ARRIS International (NASDAQ: ARRS) has announced two high-profile customer wins – Foxtel (Australia) and SK Broadband (Korea)– showcasing continued international momentum for its expanded portfolio.
News categories: ARRIS International, Foxtel, SK Broadband, Steve McCaffery, Australia, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Satellite, Set Top Box
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com