Cable TV (CATV, DVB-C, MMDS, …) News
Virgin Media and Sky unveil UK launch date for AdSmart
Mar 27, 2019 – Virgin Media and Sky have announced that, using AdSmart technology, addressable TV advertising will be available across the Virgin TV footprint in the UK from Monday 1st July. The launch of AdSmart will enable advertisers to target a potential audience over time of more than 30 million viewers.
News categories: Sky Media, Virgin Media, Jamie West, Pat Kiely, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, Ireland, Set Top Box, UK
Cablecolor partners with moTV for hybrid TV in Honduras
Mar 21, 2019 – moTV has announced a collaboration with Cablecolor to deliver a hybrid TV service in Honduras. Customers will be able to enjoy live TV, catchup, time-shift and VOD not only on STB’s via DVB-C or OTT but also on other devices including PCs, tables and mobiles.
News categories: moTV, Cablecolor, Radim Benovsky, Masson Aldana, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Honduras, OTT, UX
Global theatrical and home entertainment market at $96.8bn in 2018
Mar 21, 2019 – The global entertainment market reached $96.8 billion in 2018 – a 9% increase over 2017 – according to data released by the MPAA. Global home entertainment increased by 16% over 2017 levels to reach $55.7 billion.
News categories: MPAA, Charles Rivkin, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Terrestrial, USA, Worldwide
Kabel-TV Lampert extends partnership with ZATTOO in Austria
Mar 20, 2019 – Kabel-TV Lampert has announced its continued use of ZATTOO’s end-to-end platform. In future there will be a marketing option for other network operators who are interested in a TV product but do not want to invest in their own hardware and software.
News categories: ZATTOO, Lampert, Gernot Jaeger, Karoline Lampert, Austria, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box
Netflix surges beyond 11 million users in Australia
Mar 18, 2019 – According to Roy Morgan, nearly 14 million Australians now have access to some form of Pay TV/Subscription TV, up 11.8% on a year ago, and it’s not just Netflix driving the increase with large year-over-year increases for several SVOD services.
News categories: Roy Morgan, Michele Levine, Australia, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers
U.S. multichannel video losses nearly 4 million in 2018
Mar 11, 2019 – According to Kagan, U.S. cable, satellite and telecom multichannel sectors lost nearly 1.1 million subscriptions in the fourth quarter, which pushed the full-year decline to 4 million. DBS services accounted for more than half of the annual loss.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
IPTV drives Asia’s pay TV growth
Mar 11, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, the Asia Pacific pay TV sector is vibrant, with both subscribers and revenues expected to rise over the next five years. However, the numbers are lower than previously forecast, mainly due to cable subscribers in China converting to OTT.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,875,000 subscribers in 2018
Mar 6, 2019 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,875,000 net video subscribers in 2018, compared to a pro forma loss of about 1,510,000 subscribers in 2017.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
39 million Americans added or switched Internet, TV or Phone Service in 2018
Mar 6, 2019 – According to research from BroadbandNow, 39 million U.S. adults added or switched home internet, TV or phone service in 2018. The research examines why internet, TV and phone customers switch providers or subscribe to new services, and whether or not they are happier after doing so.
News categories: BroadbandNow, John Busby, Broadband, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, USA
- Interra Systems adds support for Dolby Vision to its QC platform
- Global SVoD revenues to grow 25% in 2019 to $36bn
- Rohde & Schwarz wins DVB-T2 transmitter contract in Egypt
- Allegro DVT introduces real-time AV1 encoder IP for 4K/UHD video
- Double digit growth for flat panel displays in 2018
- FreeWheel and A+E Networks pilot unified ad decisioning engine
- GatesAir and Foccus Digital upgrade ISDB-Tb transmitters for TV Record in Brazil
- Global 5G smartphone shipments to reach 5 million units in 2019
- Atlantic Broadband brings new TiVo experience to Low Country area of South Carolina
- Deltatre releases report on sports streaming
- Shemaroo enters the US market with ShemarooMe VOD launch
- Philo unveils connected TV ad platform
- Swisscom switches on Switzerland’s first 5G network
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 270 million
- Premium video solidifies its position in the European marketplace
- Amazon bulk certifies Espial Elevate operators for Alexa voice control
- ACCESS acquires NetRange
- AT&T sells Hulu minority stake back to Hulu
- Witbe implements Nielsen Watermark Detection
- TekSavvy TV launching in Toronto