Content Protection (conditional access, DRM, watermarking, …) News
PanAccess’ Nigerian bouquet now on Amos-17
Feb 3, 2020 – Spacecom (Tel Aviv: SCC) has announced that it is providing Ku-band capacity from its AMOS-17 communication satellite to PanAccess for broadcasting to Nigeria. PanAccess’ bouquet, originating in Germany, is broadcast from 17°E.
News categories: Spacecom, PanAccess, Eyal Altshuler, Roland Schlichting, Conditional Access, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Nigeria, Satellite
Tulix creates streaming platform for launch of Vidgo content
Jan 23, 2020 – Tulix and Vidgo have given details of their technology platform for live sports streaming and other premium channels. Vidgo is a direct-to-consumer TV provider focusing on content acquisition and product marketing. Tulix provides the underlying technology.
News categories: Tulix, Vidgo, George Bokuchava, Shane Cannon, Apps, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRM, OTT, USA
Realtek, Jiuzhou join NAGRA Android TV Reference Program for Pay TV operators
Jan 20, 2020 – NAGRA (SIX:KUD.S) has announced that Realtek Semiconductor (Taiwan: 2379.TW) and Shenzhen Jiuzhou Electric have joined the NAGRA Android TV Fast Track program. This latest partnership will help enable Android TV based services for cable operators.
News categories: NAGRA, Realtek, Jiuzhou Electric, Maurice van Riek, Yee-Wei Huang, Richard Han, Android TV, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Piracy and account sharing cost U.S. pay TV and OTT operators over $9bn in 2019
Jan 15, 2020 – A report from Parks Associates finds that the value of pirate video services accessed by pay-TV and non-pay-TV consumers will exceed $67 billion worldwide by 2023. The report also examines trends in content piracy and piracy prevention.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steven Hawley, Elizabeth Parks, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
BT to protect broadcasters using BISS-CA encryption from ATEME
Jan 9, 2020 – BT is stepping up its efforts to combat the illegal piracy of premium content through a partnership with ATEME. The company is using the ATEME’s encryption techniques to protect satellite uplinked content to help reduce the number of illegal streams.
News categories: ATEME, BT, Julien Mandel, Dominik Wrona, Conditional Access, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Worldwide
63% of Indonesians access streaming piracy websites or torrent sites
Dec 20, 2019 – A study of online content viewing behavior commissioned by the Asia Video Industry Association has revealed that 63% of online Indonesian consumers have accessed streaming piracy sites to access content without paying subscription fees.
News categories: Asia Video Industry Association, Neil Gane, Chand Parwez, Hendy Lim, Djonny Sjafruddin, Edwin Nazir, Content Protection, Digital TV, Indonesia, Market Research, OTT
13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
Nov 27, 2019 – A study published by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) shows that up to 13.7 million EU citizens stream unauthorised internet protocol television (IPTV), at a cost of EUR 941.7 million per year.
News categories: EUIPO, Christian Archambeau, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, OTT
Plataforma Multimedia de Operadores selects Verimatrix security
Nov 21, 2019 – Verimatrix (Paris: VMX) has announced that Plataforma Multimedia de Operadores has selected Verimatrix to provide multi-DRM security for its OTT service. The service is delivered via Android set-top boxes, smartphones, tablets, laptops and smart TVs.
News categories: Verimatrix, Plataforma Multimedia de Operadores, Steve Oetegenn, Jose Carrillo, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, OTT, Spain
Ocean Blue Software releases CI Plus 2.0 Host software stack
Nov 20, 2019 – Ocean Blue Software (OBS) has prepared an update to its CI Plus Host software stack for TVs and Set Top Boxes. The latest release includes support for version 2.0 of the specification which targets new USB form factor Conditional Access Modules (CAMs).
News categories: Ocean Blue Software, Paul Martin, CAM, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Contentos integrates Theta Network decentralized video delivery for COS.tv
- SeaChange selected by Midco to monetize video streaming service
- Apptopia and Braze release state of streaming industry report
- Edge Networks announces 'Evoca' ATSC 3.0 pay TV service
- Allegro DVT releases AL-D21x video decoder IP family with AV1 support
- Nielsen and Sinclair Broadcast announce multi-year renewal
- Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
- Deltatre unveils SaaS platform for real-time, data-driven UX decisions
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
- Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
- Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
- Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Velocix introduces CDN software for 5G video streaming
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation