Digital TV Business, Technology and Market Research News
Astro Malaysia makes Ultra Box available to IPTV customers
May 19, 2020 – Astro Malaysia has announced that its Ultra Box is now available to Astro IPTV customers on fibre. The Ultra experience includes 4K UHD, Cloud Recording and a new user interface that is seamless across device screens.
News categories: Astro, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Malaysia, Set Top Box, UX
COSMOTE TV deploys private CDN with Synamedia
May 19, 2020 – COSMOTE TV has gone live with Synamedia’s Media Streamer CDN platform for its new streaming service. Media Streamer provides virtualized edge caching and streaming through a network of servers deployed across cities throughout Greece.
News categories: Synamedia, COSMOTE, Julien Signes, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Greece, OTT
67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
May 19, 2020 – New research from Parks Associates finds 67% of US broadband households own and use at least one internet-connected video device, either a smart TV, streaming media player, internet-connected gaming console, or connected PVR/DVR.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVR, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
May 18, 2020 – FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr has announced that the FCC will vote on his plan to promote the build out of Broadcast Internet services, enabled by ATSC 3.0 and delivered over an efficient one-to-many architecture.
News categories: FCC, Dennis Wharton, Jamie Susskind, ATSC, Broadband, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
Eros Now enters Bangladesh in partnership with Allianz Holdings
May 18, 2020 – Eros Now (NYSE: EROS) has announced a deal with Allianz International Holdings Limited. As part of the collaboration, Allianz Holdings will distribute the video-on-demand service in Bangladesh.
News categories: Eros Now, Allianz International, Eros Digital, Ali Hussein, Dr. Sakib M Rahman, Rishika Lulla Singh, Bangladesh, Digital TV, OTT
Global OTT revenues to reach $167 billion in 2025
May 18, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, global online TV episode and movie revenues will reach $167 billion in 2025; double the $83 billion recorded in 2019. About $16 billion will be added in 2020. SVOD’s share of OTT revenues will stay at around 58%.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
U.S. sees largest first quarter multichannel subscriptions decline to-date
May 15, 2020 – According to Kagan, initial speculation that TV-hungry, isolated viewers would at least temporarily stem cord cutting in the U.S. was dispelled with the industry's largest first quarter decline for traditional multichannel subscriptions.
News categories: S&P Global, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
COVID-19 to have limited impact on telecoms and pay TV spending in 2020
May 15, 2020 – Worldwide spending on telecommunications and pay TV services will reach nearly $1.6 trillion in 2020, a decrease of 0.8% compared to 2019, according to IDC. IDC expects the decline to continue in 2021, but at a somewhat lower degree.
News categories: IDC, Kresimir Alic, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
UK SVOD market to grow 100% over next five years
May 15, 2020 – The UK’s solid growth in SVOD adoption is set to continue over the next five years, according to GlobalData. The total number of subscriptions is expected to double between 2019 and the end of 2024, rising from 22.4 million to 44.6 million.
News categories: GlobalData, Joel Cooper, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
- SpotX expands Measurement and Attribution Suite
- Nordic video markets riding high
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free
- Bloomberg TV+ 4K UHD channel launches on Samsung TV Plus
- LG transfers TV manufacturing capacity to Indonesia
- Nordija delivers TV and media platform for Telenor Sweden
- Telestream integrates Ad-ID validation to ensure correct ad placement
- AT&T closes DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela
- IFA 2020 to go-ahead as an invitation-only event in Berlin
- A1 Slovenia launches personalized TV with Zappware