Terrestrial Digital TV (DTT, DTTV, DTV, DVB-T, DVB-T2, …) News
Romania's ANCOM completes fourth auction of DTT multiplexes
Feb 20, 2017 – Two new local multiplexes, in Iasi and Timisoara, have been awarded in the fourth DTT auction held by ANCOM. M PLUS INVESTMENTS won the Iasi local multiplex, while NOVA MEDIA won a local multiplex for Timisoara.
News categories: ANCOM, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Romania, Terrestrial
Positivo Informática contracts with Brazil's Seja Digital for STBs
Feb 17, 2017 – Positivo Informática (BM&FBOVESPA: POSI3) has announced that it has entered into an agreement with Brazil's Seja Digital for the supply of set-top-box decoders, as part of the country's migration to digital TV broadcasting.
News categories: Positivo Informática, Seja Digital, Brazil, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
HbbTV Association welcomes NorDig’s adoption of HbbTV 2
Feb 15, 2017 – The HbbTV Association has applauded NorDig for releasing specifications to support the adoption of HbbTV 2. The update represents the first steps by the region to move from HbbTV1.5 to HbbTV 2.
News categories: HbbTV Association, NorDig, Klaus Illgner, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, HbbTV, Ireland, Norway, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Sweden, Terrestrial
Wipro's in-car DTV middleware adapted for Japan
Feb 15, 2017 – Wipro (NYSE: WIT, BSE: 507685, NSE: WIPRO) has announced that its Digital-TV (DTV) Middleware Solution, which facilitates In-Car TV reception systems, has been customized for the Japanese automotive market.
News categories: Wipro, Anita Ganti, Digital TV, In-Car, ISDB-T, Japan, Middleware, Terrestrial
ATSC 3.0 will drive significant incremental revenue
Feb 14, 2017 – A review of the commercial television broadcasting business by BIA/Kelsey indicates that the investment large and medium market stations are considering making in the ATSC 3.0 standard would be recouped within three years.
News categories: BIA/Kelsey, Mark Fratrik, ATSC, Market Research, Terrestrial, USA
Philippines launches DTT migration plan
Feb 10, 2017 – The Philippines' Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) has launched its Digital Terrestrial Television Broadcasting (DTTB) Migration Plan, consisting of policies and regulations as well as technical and fiscal considerations necessary for the country's migration to digital TV broadcasting.
News categories: Department of Information and Communications Technology, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Philippines, Regulation, Terrestrial
MENA pay TV revenue forecasts downgraded
Feb 6, 2017 – Pay TV revenues for the 20 countries in the Middle East and North Africa will reach $4 billion in 2021 – down from $5 billion in Digital TV Research's previous forecast. Turkey, Israel, the UAE and Saudi Arabia will account for 90% of the shortfall.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT, Satellite, Terrestrial
FCC proposes rules for ATSC 3.0 introduction
Feb 2, 2017 – The FCC has announced that it is circulating a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) proposing to authorize television broadcasters to use the ATSC 3.0 broadcast television transmission standard on a voluntary, market-driven basis.
News categories: FCC, ATSC, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, USA
Global home video entertainment spend was $251.5bn in 2016
Feb 1, 2017 – Futuresource Consulting has recently released its annual evaluation of the health and shape of global home video entertainment, detailing the macro trends of 2016, in addition to insights for 2017 and beyond.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tristan Veale, Blu-ray, Cable TV, Digital TV, DVD, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
- NEOTION and Verimatrix collaborate to secure the smart home
- VimpelCom becomes VEON and launches OTT platform
- Frontier to test 4K Ultra HD content on SES platform
- NEOTION shows smart home solution with Climax sensors at MWC17
- Cognitive intelligence platform enables Telefónica customers to manage their own data
- Netgem shows smart home at MWC17; Invests in Voxtok
- UK consults on illicit IPTV streaming device regulation
- Gracenote unveils entertainment data products for video, music and sports
- Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
- OTT content is driving demand for streaming media devices and smart TVs
- New Zealand Commerce Commission blocks Vodafone/Sky merger
- Eurofins Digital Testing signs strategic agreement with Nokia
- Nokia and AT&T conduct 5G streaming tests with DIRECTV NOW
- KAONMEDIA STB with AI home assistant deployed by Korea Telecom
- DISH Network adds 28,000 pay TV subscribers in 4Q 2016
- Tata Elxsi and Portugal's NOS partner to accelerate RDK deployment
- MobiTV announces $21M in additional funding
- Tru Optik and LiveRamp make first-party data actionable across connected TVs
- Viaplay selects Unified Streaming to optimize Scandinavian viewer experience
- Google dominates VR headset shipments