Terrestrial Digital TV (DTT, DTTV, DTV, DVB-T, DVB-T2, …) News
FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
Mar 31, 2020 – The FCC has released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on proposed rule changes to permit greater flexibility for broadcasters to use distributed transmission systems (DTS) as they deploy ATSC 3.0.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial, USA
Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
Mar 31, 2020 – Italy’s regional public broadcaster RAS has gone live with Synamedia virtualized Digital Content Manager (DCM) as it prepares to migrate from DVB-T SD/HD to DVB-T2/HEVC HD. RAS is using the Synamedia DCM for satellite input and DVB-T transmissions and the virtualized DCM for encoding in a private cloud.
News categories: Synamedia, RAS, Dimetis, Julien Signes, Johann Silbernagl, Thomas Will, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Italy, Terrestrial
TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
Mar 26, 2020 – According to Parks Associates, 25% of US broadband households use an antenna to watch local broadcast TV channels, up from 15% in 2018. Roughly half of antenna users do not subscribe to any pay-TV services, either traditional or vMVPD.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, Digital TV, Terrestrial, USA
Sinclair Broadcast adopts Qligent Vision Compliance Monitoring and Analysis
Mar 24, 2020 – Qligent has initiated deployment of its Vision Compliance Monitoring and Analysis system for Sinclair Broadcast Group (NASDAQ: SBGI). The system will support QoS/QoE, compliance and transmission monitoring across 191 TV stations in 89 U.S. markets.
News categories: Qligent, Sinclair Broadcast, John Shoemaker, Mike Kralec, Digital TV, QoE, Terrestrial, USA
Freeview Play coming to Android TV
Mar 4, 2020 – Freeview Play is coming to Android TV, thanks to an agreement between Freeview and Google. The viewer experience has been developed by the organisations to ensure both prominence and discoverability for public service and advertising funded television.
News categories: Digital UK, Android, Jonathan Thompson, Shalini Govil-pai, Apps, Digital TV, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Pixelworks and Qualcomm integrate Live Local TV with 5G broadband
Feb 18, 2020 – Pixelworks (NASDAQ: PXLW) is working with Qualcomm on a 5G-based fixed wireless access CPE platform. The joint reference solution will combine Pixelworks’ OTA streaming XCode® processor with the Qualcomm Snapdragon™ X55 5G Modem-RF System.
News categories: Pixelworks, Qualcomm, Anthony Gioeli, Gautam Sheoran, 5G, Digital TV, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA
Sinclair Broadcast joins Pearl TV broadcast business organization
Feb 6, 2020 – Pearl TV has welcomed Sinclair Broadcast Group (Nasdaq: SBGI) as the organization’s ninth member, a move that boosts the reach of Pearl-member stations to nearly half of all broadcast television stations in the United States.
News categories: Pearl TV, Sinclair Broadcast, Anne Schelle, Chris Ripley, ATSC, Digital TV, USA
Synamedia partners with USSI Global for the U.S. market
Jan 21, 2020 – USSI Global is to provide technical and logistics support, fulfillment and deployment services for Synamedia video network customers in the United States. Together the companies will also help customers with go-to-market strategies for ATSC 3.0.
News categories: Synamedia, USSI Global, Dave Longaker, David Christiano, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
ENENSYS DVB-SIS solution ready for deployment
Jan 20, 2020 – ENENSYS Technologies has announced that the latest release of ENENSYS’ OneBeam solution brings it into compliance with the DVB-SIS standard. With this modification, ENENSYS has become the first provider capable in delivering a complete DVB-SIS system.
News categories: ENENSYS, Eric Pinson, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
- Verimatrix introduces DRM for video protection between devices
- Omdia cuts 2020 TV shipment forecast by 10 percentage points
- Comscore research shows continuing surge in U.S. daytime TV viewing
- FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
- VideoAmp creates combined Smart TV and STB viewing dataset for the U.S.
- Roku OS 9.3 begins roll-out
- Italian local re-broadcaster RAS goes live with Synamedia virtualized DCM
- Altice Europe terminates discussions on acquisition of Partner Communications
- Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
- Velocix introduces CDN software for 5G video streaming
- Comscore sees notable rise in U.S. streaming usage
- Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
- Singtel puts HOOQ into liquidation
- COVID-19 pandemic to reduce global TV brand shipments by 5.8% in 2020
- Six million viewers for Italy's tivùsat
- Wicket Labs adds $1.9m of extra funding
- NENT Group to launch Viaplay in Iceland on April 1st
- TV antenna usage in US broadband households up 25% in 2019
- Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
- COVID-19 response to bolster cloud gaming revenues