Hardware (DVD, TV, PMP, Set-top Box, …) News
Streaming Media Adapter market faces mounting pressure
May 4, 2016 – In its latest analysis on the streaming media adapter market, ABI Research examines the impact of the new wave of pricing brought on by Google’s Chromecast devices and the mounting product differentiation pressures on the industry.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Vestel and Opera TV partner for HbbTV 2.0 TVs
May 3, 2016 – Opera TV and Vestel have announced that Opera TV software will be incorporated in the new line of Vestel televisions, to provide customers with Ultra HD content and interactive experiences using the latest HbbTV specification, HbbTV 2.0.
News categories: Opera TV, Vestel, Aneesh Rajaram, Hakan Kutlu, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, Smart TV
Jiuzhou to deploy SERAPHIC HTML5 browser
May 3, 2016 – Jiuzhou Electric has announced a cooperation with SERAPHIC. Jiuzhou will deploy SERAPHIC's HbbTV, YouTube Leanback, Open Browser and TV Store solutions ported on STB SoCs, targeting the global pay-TV market.
News categories: SERAPHIC, Jiuzhou Electric, CCBN, Digital TV, HTML5, Set Top Box, Worldwide
ICFLIX now accessible on Hisense TVs
May 1, 2016 – ICFLIX has partnered with Hisense to make movies, TV series, documentaries and kids entertainment from ICFLIX more accessible to consumers across the Middle East and North Africa region.
News categories: ICFLIX, Hisense, Carlos Tibi, Apps, Middle-East, OTT, Smart TV
Nigeria launches DTT pilot in Jos
May 1, 2016 – On April 30th, Nigeria launched the pilot phase of it Digital Broadcasting switch over, with the start of DTT broadcasting in Jos, Plateau State. The switch increases teh number of channels available from five to fifteen.
News categories: Ministry of Information and Culture, Digital TV, Nigeria, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
U.S. 4K Ultra HD TV sales exceed 1.5 million units in Q1
Apr 29, 2016 – According to DEG, U.S. consumers have purchased more than seven million 4K UHD TVs to date in the brief period since the product came to market, sparking strong demand for content.
News categories: The Digital Entertainment Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
NetCologne launches NetTV IPTV service
Apr 28, 2016 – German regional cable TV operator, NetCologne, will launched an IPTV service, called NetTV, on May 2nd. For an additional monthly fee of €9.99 NetCologne customers will receive around 80 channels, some in high definition.
News categories: Netcologne, Cable TV, Digital TV, Germany, IPTV, Set Top Box
Deutsche Telekom upgrades Entertain TV service
Apr 28, 2016 – Deutsche Telekom has announced the launch of a new release of its Entertain TV IPTV service. The updated service adds Restart TV, allowing the user to go back to the beginning of a live programme, alongside a catch-up service covering the previous 7 days.
News categories: Deutsche Telekom, Digital TV, Germany, IPTV, Set Top Box
TWC residential video subscribers up 21,000 in 1Q 2016
Apr 28, 2016 – Time Warner Cable (NYSE:TWC) has reported results for its first quarter ended March 31, 2016. Residential video revenue grew as a result of an increase in average revenue per subscriber and growth in video subscribers.
News categories: Time Warner Cable, Cable TV, Results, Set Top Box, USA
- U.S. millennials stream more than half of their TV
- Streaming Media Adapter market faces mounting pressure
- Hulu subscribers up 30% YoY; adds ad partnerships
- SVOD becomes dominant U.S. model for accessing TV online
- Deutsche Telekom adds 70,000 TV customers in 1Q 2016
- Sprint to stream 4K over 5G at Copa America games in June
- Vestel and Opera TV partner for HbbTV 2.0 TVs
- Mediacom video subscribers down 2,000 in 1Q 2016
- EUTELSAT 7B chosen by Liquid Telecom for Africa DTH
- Jiuzhou to deploy SERAPHIC HTML5 browser
- EUTELSAT 65 West A satellite goes live at 65° West
- ICFLIX now accessible on Hisense TVs
- Nigeria launches DTT pilot in Jos
- U.S. 4K Ultra HD TV sales exceed 1.5 million units in Q1
- Telefonica adds 94,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2016
- NetCologne launches NetTV IPTV service
- Deutsche Telekom upgrades Entertain TV service
- Bangladesh’s first DTH service RealVU set in operation
- Accenture enables Mediaset Premium OTT
- TWC residential video subscribers up 21,000 in 1Q 2016