Hardware (DVD, TV, PMP, Set-top Box, …) News
40% of broadband households in Germany and Spain own a smart TV
Sep 30, 2014 – Research from Parks Associates has shown that more than 40% of broadband households in Germany and Spain own a smart TV, while U.K. adoption of smart TVs is 33%.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, Spain, UK
MPEG LA offers HEVC patent portfolio license
Sep 29, 2014 – MPEG LA has announced the availability of the HEVC Patent Portfolio License. The joint license includes patents that are essential to the High Efficiency Video Coding standard (HEVC, also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2).
News categories: MPEG LA, Larry Horn, Bill Geary, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Licensing, Patent, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Singapore launches Digital TV Assistance Scheme
Sep 29, 2014 – The Media Development Authority (MDA) of Singapore has launched a Digital TV Assistance Scheme for low-income households. The package includes a free digital TV set-top box, an indoor antenna and installation.
News categories: Media Development Authority, Koh Lin-Net, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Singapore, Terrestrial
Amino 'Live' platform for Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative
Sep 29, 2014 – Amino (LSE: AMO) has announced that it has secured a contract to provide US local IPTV service provider Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative Inc (ITC) with its Live Advanced Media Platform.
News categories: Amino, Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative, Donald McGarva, Ren Preheim, Digital TV, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA
JAINHITS selects set-tops from ARRIS for India cable distribution
Sep 29, 2014 – ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) has announced that JAINHITS, India's first and only HITS-based Direct to Network (DTN) service - the digital cable TV distribution platform in India, has selected set-tops from ARRIS's HMC portfolio.
News categories: ARRIS Group, JAINHITS, Tim Gropp, Dr. J.K. Jain, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Set Top Box
Netflix viewing on digital media players surges in U.S.
Sep 26, 2014 – A growing number of US households are relying on dedicated set-top/plug-in devices (a.k.a., digital media players) to watch Netflix on a TV set, according to a GfK study, Over-the-Top TV 2014.
News categories: GfK, David Tice, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Bulgaria's Mtel launches satellite TV
Sep 25, 2014 – Bulgaria's Mtel has launched direct-to-home satellite television broadcasting. The telco is offering up to 150 TV channels with more than 20 in HD. There are three different subscription packages with HD channels available in all packages.
News categories: Mtel, Bulgaria, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box
Midcontinent to use aioTV PassBox to add OTT content
Sep 25, 2014 – aioTV has announced that Midcontinent Communications will use the aioTV PassBox to deliver online services, apps and streaming Internet content along with Midcontinent’s existing multi-channel service in a single consumer experience.
News categories: aioTV, Midcontinent, Mike Earle, Gary Shawd, Cable TV, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Middleware, Set Top Box, USA
Entone and ZTE collaborate to boost hybrid TV
Sep 24, 2014 – Entone and ZTE have announced the integration of Entone’s hybrid devices with ZTE’s IPTV platform to enable service operators to quickly launch IPTV and OTT services.
News categories: Entone, ZTE, Steve McKay, ZH Yao, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
- 40% of broadband households in Germany and Spain own a smart TV
- MPEG LA offers HEVC patent portfolio license
- Singapore launches Digital TV Assistance Scheme
- Amino 'Live' platform for Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative
- JAINHITS selects set-tops from ARRIS for India cable distribution
- Netflix viewing on digital media players surges in U.S.
- Nova Greece exceeds 500,000 pay TV subscribers
- Netflix streaming volume up 350% in 10 quarters
- Strong growth in tablet video viewing in the U.S.
- Bulgaria's Mtel launches satellite TV
- Romania to auction two national DTT multiplexes
- Midcontinent to use aioTV PassBox to add OTT content
- Huawei provides Hybrid Video Solution to Mexico's Megacable
- Entone and ZTE collaborate to boost hybrid TV
- Russia's pay TV to grow to 45.3 million subscribers in 2018
- 32 million 802.11ac access points to ship in 2014
- Iliad's Freebox v7 may be based on Android TV
- NanoTech UltraFlix 4K streaming for VIZIO TVs
- OTT revenues to rocket to $42 billion by 2020
- Australia's TPG Telecom to launch IPTV in 2015