Hardware (DVD, TV, PMP, Set-top Box, …) News
Fastway chooses STMicroelectronics SoC for HD USB DVR
Aug 21, 2014 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) has announced that its STiH273 (Palma) HD cable chipsets have been selected by Fastway, a leading Indian Cable MSO, for their HD interactive USB DVR1 platform.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, Fastway, Gurdeep Singh, Peeush Mahajan, Vivek Sharma, Cable TV, Digital TV, India, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
First replacement wave to drive renewed growth in flat panel TV sales
Aug 21, 2014 – The first wave of replacement sales in flat panel TV will help to inject renewed growth into global TV sales over the coming five years, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
SDMC to show H.265/HEVC 4K UHD OTT set top box at IBC
Aug 21, 2014 – SDMC has announced its plan to show a live demonstration of its H.265/HEVC 4K UHD OTT set top box – DV7819 - at the IBC Show 2014. At the same time, SDMC will show its range of DVB-S2, DVB-T2, and DVB-C hybrid STBs.
News categories: SDMC Technology, IBCShow, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Viaccess-Orca announces new ecosystem partners for cardless CA system
Aug 20, 2014 – Viaccess-Orca has announced that the company’s Dynamic Sentinel cardless conditional access system (CAS) will be embedded in set-top boxes from Askey Computer and ASTON, as well as conditional access modules from SMiT.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, Askey Computer, ASTON, SMiT Corp, Eric Lui, Stephane Nitenberg, Hongyu Shuai, François Moreau de Saint Martin, Conditional Access, Digital TV, IBCShow, Set Top Box, Smart card / CAM, Worldwide
ARRIS gains, Cisco loses in set-top box market
Aug 20, 2014 – According to ABI Research, 2Q 2014 showed about a 5% growth in set-top box revenues from a key set of major OEMs. Most manufacturers saw similar sales, with ARRIS a clear winner, growing about 60% year-over-year.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Samsung TV prices fell 13% in 1H 2014
Aug 20, 2014 – Although Samsung is a leader in the growing Ultra HD (UHD) TV segment, average selling prices (ASPs) for Samsung TVs fell 13 percent in the first half of 2014 compared to the previous year according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
NEOTION enlarges CAM portfolio with Verimatrix security
Aug 19, 2014 – NEOTION has announced that it will introduce a new CAM portfolio with Verimatrix at IBC. NEOTION's CAMs have been certified as compatible with the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS™) for DVB cardless pay-TV.
News categories: NEOTION, Verimatrix, Stéphanie Bizouerne, Steve Oetegenn, Content Protection, Digital TV, IBCShow, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Conditional access market set to decline
Aug 19, 2014 – The global market for conditional access (CA) technology used in set-top boxes (STBs) is set to contract as pay-TV services reach saturation, according to IHS Technology (NYSE: IHS). Worldwide market revenue for pay-TV STB CA technology will decline to $1.9 billion in 2018.
News categories: IHS Technology, Wajahat Abbassi, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
TCL announces Roku TV line-up for the U.S.
Aug 19, 2014 – TCL and Roku have announced availability of the TCL Roku TV line-up. TCL will offer four TCL Roku TV models: 32" 32FS4610R ($229), 40" 40FS4610R ($329), 48" 48FS4610R ($499), and 55" 55FS4610R ($649).
News categories: Roku, TCL, Chris Larson, Jim Funk, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
- Fastway chooses STMicroelectronics SoC for HD USB DVR
- First replacement wave to drive renewed growth in flat panel TV sales
- SDMC to show H.265/HEVC 4K UHD OTT set top box at IBC
- Viaccess-Orca announces new ecosystem partners for cardless CA system
- Forthnet selects Irdeto to secure DTH offering
- ARRIS gains, Cisco loses in set-top box market
- Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland continue to decline
- Samsung TV prices fell 13% in 1H 2014
- TV advertising regains its mojo
- NEOTION enlarges CAM portfolio with Verimatrix security
- Conditional access market set to decline
- NTT adds 4K Range Extensions support to H.265/HEVC codec SDK
- TCL announces Roku TV line-up for the U.S.
- Hisense Roku TV H4 series to hit U.S. stores soon
- Over 820 Ultra HD satellite channels worldwide by 2025
- SES wins exploitation rights for two Brazilian orbital positions
- CSTV selects Octoshape to power OTT service for Samsung devices
- SES to deliver DTH services across French-speaking West Africa
- Cable broadband subscribers surpass cable TV subscribers in U.S.
- Mobiles with 4K screens to reach 478m units by 2019