Hardware (DVD, TV, PMP, Set-top Box, …) News
58% of Canadian broadband households have access to online video on their TV set
May 21, 2015 – Parks Associates research reveals 58% of Canadian broadband households have at least one connected CE device that allows online content to be accessed through a TV set, up from 48% in 2012.
News categories: Parks Associates, John Barrett, Brett Sappington, Canada, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Sling TV releases App for Android TV
May 21, 2015 – Sling TV has launched its Android TV application for Google’s Nexus Player. Sling TV and Google are kicking off their collaboration with a promotion that gets Nexus Player into the hands of customers at half price.
News categories: Sling TV, Roger Lynch, Apps, Placeshifting, Set Top Box, USA
ALi and Mware integrate STB IPTV OTT middleware
May 20, 2015 – ALi Corporation has announced an IP Set-top-box integrating Mware middleware on ALi’s M3912 platform. The strategic collaboration between ALi and Mware delivers a turnkey end-to-end operation solution.
News categories: ALi Corp, Mware, Tony Chang, Sander Kerstens, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Connected TVs to drive OTT subscription surge
May 18, 2015 – Data from Juniper Research has shown that subscriber numbers to 'over-the-top' (OTT) TV services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime will increase from 92.1 million in 2014, to 332.2 million globally by 2019.
News categories: Juniper Research, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
70% of Ultra HD TVs to feature HDR or other enhancements by 2020
May 15, 2015 – ABI Research expects that by 2020 nearly 70% of UHD TVs will support new technologies and enhancements like HDR, wider color gamut, high frame rates, and immersive audio. This could prove too conservative if a lower tier of UHD TVs does not persist as currently anticipated.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Panasonic launches first Firefox OS-based TVs
May 15, 2015 – The first Panasonic VIERA Smart TVs powered by Firefox OS are now available in Europe and will be available worldwide in the coming months. Panasonic Smart TVs powered by Firefox OS are optimized for HTML5 to provide strong performance of Web apps.
News categories: Mozilla, Panasonic, Andreas Gal, Masahiro Shinada, Digital TV, Europe, HTML5, Smart TV, Worldwide
ABI Research study on the role of DLNA's VidiPath
May 14, 2015 – The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) has released results from an ABI Research study on the anticipated impact of VidiPath Certified devices for subscription TV service delivery to interoperable devices.
News categories: Digital Living Network Alliance, ABI Research, Scott Lofgren, Sam Rosen, Digital TV, Home Networking, Market Research, Multiscreen, Placeshifting, Worldwide
GMA Network to offer TV dongles rather than STBs for DTT in the Philippines
May 14, 2015 – According to an announcement made by GMA Network in the Philippines, the company plans to distribute TV dongles rather than set-top boxes to supports its transition to digital television broadcasting.
News categories: GMA Network, Digital TV, Philippines, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
TCL introduces premium TVs with Roku integrated
May 13, 2015 – TCL has announced that seven TCL Roku TVs will soon be available at major U.S. retailers. Following the launch of three 3700 series models, TCL is expanding its 2015 TCL Roku TV lineup with three 3800 Design Series models and four 3850 Decorator Series models.
News categories: TCL, Roku, Chris Larson, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
- IPTV revenues in Canada up 39% in 2014
- Pay TV providers embrace OTT video and 'skinny' bundles
- 58% of Canadian broadband households have access to online video on their TV set
- Sling TV releases App for Android TV
- ALi and Mware integrate STB IPTV OTT middleware
- Europe's first FTA Ultra HD channel to launch on Astra at 19.2°E
- Altice enters the US market with acquisition of Suddenlink
- 134 million digital TV homes to be added in 2015
- Vodafone ends Q1 with 9.1 million TV customers in Europe
- GatesAir prepares Brazil's Rede VTV for transition to DTT
- Russian pay TV subscribers reached 37.6 million at end-2014
- Connected TVs to drive OTT subscription surge
- LATTO and Verimatrix partner on secure OTT monetization platform
- 37,000 IPTV customers for eircom
- Belarus completes switch to digital television
- 70% of Ultra HD TVs to feature HDR or other enhancements by 2020
- OTT video 'account sharing' prevalent in the U.S.
- Singapore's StarHub adds 3k subscribers in 1Q 2015
- Panasonic launches first Firefox OS-based TVs
- Orange Slovakia launches VOD with Banaxi