Hardware (DVD, TV, PMP, Set-top Box, …) News
Roku introduces Roku 4 with Roku OS 7
Oct 6, 2015 – Roku has announced its Roku 4 streaming player. The Roku 4 runs the new Roku OS 7 that the company has also announced. Roku OS 7 is filled with new discovery features that give consumers more access to entertainment choices.
News categories: Roku, Anthony Wood, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Rogers launches 4K TV and 4K set top box
Oct 5, 2015 – Rogers has announced the launch of 4K ready gigabit internet speeds, a new 4K set top box, Rogers 4K TV and the world's largest commitment to live broadcasting in 4K with HDR. Rogers will also introduce high dynamic range (HDR) in April 2016.
News categories: Rogers, shomi, Netflix, Guy Laurence, Scott Moore, David Asch, Bill Holmes, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
Marvell provides SoCs for Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
Oct 5, 2015 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) has announced its continued collaboration with Google in enabling Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio powered by Marvell's ARMADA 1500 Mini Plus (88DE3006) and advanced Avastar 88W8887 SoCs.
News categories: Marvell, Weili Dai, Digital TV, Home Networking, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
HDMI Licensing launches HDMI 2.0 Certification Program
Oct 5, 2015 – HDMI Licensing has announced a Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program. The program tests that the cable can support the 18Gbps bandwidth required by the HDMI 2.0 Specification - a throughput typically needed for video formats such as 4K/UltraHD.
News categories: HDMI Licensing, Jeff Park, Rob Tobias, Home Networking, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Test, Worldwide
Google announces additional Android TV partners
Oct 1, 2015 – Google has said that Hisense and TCL have been added as Smart TV partners for Android TV. The company also announced that Pace, Sagemcom and Technicolor will manufacture set-top boxes, and that KDDI and Telecom Italia are planning to provide Pay TV services powered by Android TV.
News categories: Google, Digital TV, Italy, Japan, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Swisscom upgrades Verimatrix content protection to secure UHD service
Oct 1, 2015 – Verimatrix has announced that Swisscom is deploying VCAS Ultra, its next-generation Video Content Authority System (VCAS) architecture. This decision equips Swisscom with a comprehensive and scalable multi-network revenue security approach for its new TV box.
News categories: Verimatrix, Swisscom, Marvell, Steve Oetegenn, Peter Fregelius, Content Protection, Digital TV, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Switzerland
Digital TV Research Newsletter October 2015
Sep 30, 2015 – Digital TV Research has announced the publication of its October 2015 market research newsletter. According to the newsletter, the connected TV set boom is set to continue, and the Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa OTT TV and video market is to grow by $2.2 billion.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Blu-ray, Brazil, Digital TV, Europe, Games Console, Korea, Market Research, Middle-East, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers
TiVo announces ad-skipping TiVo BOLT
Sep 30, 2015 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has introduced the TiVo BOLT. BOLT allows viewers to skip entire commercial breaks in a single bound at the press of a button. The TiVo BOLT combines cable, video on demand, OTA, and OTT sources.
News categories: TiVo Inc, Tom Rogers, Ira Bahr, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA
ATSC 3.0 Physical Layer elevated to 'Candidate Standard'
Sep 29, 2015 – The Advanced Television Systems Committee has announced that the 'Physical Layer' transmission system for ATSC 3.0 television broadcasting has been elevated to 'Candidate Standard' status. The ATSC TG3 Technology Group approved the ATSC 3.0 Physical Layer Candidate Standard.
News categories: Advanced Television Systems Committee, Mark Richer, ATSC, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, USA
- Pay TV operators to add 200 million subscribers by 2020
- Portugal's NOS trials UHD with Thomson Video Networks HEVC encoders
- More than 69 million pay TV subscribers in Latin America in Q2 2015
- Roku introduces Roku 4 with Roku OS 7
- Rogers launches 4K TV and 4K set top box
- Marvell provides SoCs for Chromecast 2.0 and Chromecast Audio
- HDMI Licensing launches HDMI 2.0 Certification Program
- Google announces additional Android TV partners
- NAGRA powers Hinduja Group NXT Digital 'HITS' platform
- Swisscom upgrades Verimatrix content protection to secure UHD service
- Digital TV Research Newsletter October 2015
- TiVo announces ad-skipping TiVo BOLT
- ATSC 3.0 Physical Layer elevated to 'Candidate Standard'
- Thomson Video Networks powers Ivory Coast DTT pilot
- Digital migration to kick-off in South Africa's Northern Cape
- Pay TV subscribers pass 5 million in Colombia
- Five developing markets offer opportunity for Netflix
- Wurl releases U.S. video viewing index
- Sentech delivers DTH and DTT via Intelsat 20
- Freeview trade mark licence to be granted only for HD products