Hardware (DVD, TV, PMP, Set-top Box, …) News
Skyworth claims global number three STB slot
Aug 23, 2016 – Skyworth Digital Technology (000810.SZ) has revealed that it shipped 30 million set-top boxes globally in 2015 – making it the third biggest set-top manufacturer in the world. Contributing to these figures was the shipment of more than seven million OTT boxes.
News categories: Skyworth, Darrell Haber, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
ABOX42 to unveil STB with built-in Smart Home Gateway at IBCShow
Aug 17, 2016 – ABOX42 will unveil at IBC 2016 its Smart STB platform M30 with a built-in Smart Home Gateway, developed for advanced operator projects worldwide. With the new M30 SmartSTB the operator can combine classical TV services with new Smart Home services.
News categories: ABOX42, Matthias Greve, Digital TV, IBCShow, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
Amino secures software licensing contract with PCCW Media
Aug 16, 2016 – Amino has secured a software licensing contract to provide its Enable TV device software to PCCW Media in Hong Kong to support its drive to deliver new 4K UHD experiences via a new service of its Now TV.
News categories: Amino, PCCW Media, Donald McGarva, Belinda Chan, Digital TV, Hong Kong, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
120 million voice-enabled Smart Home devices to ship in 2021
Aug 15, 2016 – While Siri and Google Now are well-established smartphone features, it is in the smart home that voice control systems will live out their full potential. Smart TVs, smart refrigerators, smart plugs, and more will extend the reach and simplicity of managing the smart home environment using voice.
News categories: ABI Research, Jonathan Collins, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, Worldwide
Virgin Media begins update of TiVo STBs
Aug 12, 2016 – Virgin Media has announced a major platform update for its TV customers. A new feature called Series Link+ will allow customers to pull together more of the TV they love into one place - from live TV channels, on demand and online services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer.
News categories: Virgin Media, David Bouchier, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, UK
Energy efficient STBs saved US consumers $646m in 2015
Aug 9, 2016 – Consumers saved approximately $646 million in energy costs in 2015 as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among U.S. pay-TV providers, consumer technology manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates.
News categories: Natural Resources Defense Council, Noah Horowitz, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, USA
Mautilus develops Olympics 4K streaming app with Slovak Telekom
Aug 5, 2016 – Mautilus, in cooperation with Slovak Telekom, has prepared the first commercial 4K streaming application in Central and Eastern Europe with Olympic Games content. The streaming is done using the MPEG-DASH protocol with an HEVC video codec.
News categories: Mautilus, Slovak Telekom, Petr Mazanec, Tomas Sustr, Apps, Digital TV, Slovakia, Smart TV
1.4 million 4K Ultra HD TVs sold in U.S. in 2Q 2016
Aug 4, 2016 – According to The Digital Entertainment Group, U.S. consumer spending on home entertainment products was strong for the second quarter of 2016. Boding well for the home entertainment industry was the continuing shift by consumers to 4K Ultra HD TVs.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, USA
18% of UK adults watch streamed TV via a smart TV
Aug 4, 2016 – The UK's Office for National Statistics (ONS) has released a Statistical bulletin covering usage of the internet by households and individuals. Watching internet streamed TV via a smart TV was carried out by 18% of adults.
News categories: Office for National Statistics, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Smart TV, UK
- Top LatAm pay TV operators continue to dominate
- Majority of Netflix subscribers to be outside US by 2018
- Harmonic to show virtual reality with UHD resolution at IBCShow
- Skyworth claims global number three STB slot
- Video technology players continue to dwindle as platform ownership desires surge
- Varying growth opportunities for Asia Pacific pay-TV service providers
- TDG forecasts significant growth for Social-Mobile video
- ABOX42 to unveil STB with built-in Smart Home Gateway at IBCShow
- Asia’s top operators to gain pay TV market share
- Amino secures software licensing contract with PCCW Media
- 120 million voice-enabled Smart Home devices to ship in 2021
- Major U.S. pay TV operators lose 665,000 subscribers in 2Q 2016
- Worldwide AR/VR revenues to reach $162 billion in 2020
- 4K adoption for OTT set to soar over the next 5 years
- Virgin Media begins update of TiVo STBs
- Freesat launches live audience measurement service
- ABI Research forecasts a flat video software market through 2021
- Next 10 years look upbeat for the U.S. cable industry
- Energy efficient STBs saved US consumers $646m in 2015
- Africa Pay TV subscribers to reach 30 million in 2021