Korea Digital TV News
LG Display working on stretchable displays
Jun 11, 2020 – LG Display has announced that it has been selected by South Korea’s Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy (MOTIE) to lead its national project to develop stretchable displays.
News categories: LG Display, MOTIE, Dr. Soo-Young Yoon, Digital TV, Korea
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
SVOD and T-VOD drive Korean market to new levels
Apr 6, 2020 – According to Futuresource, 'Super Premium VOD' continues to propel South Korea to be one of the leading transactional VOD markets in the world. The offering allows Korean customers to rent film titles as early as 4 weeks post cinema release.
News categories: Futuresource, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, OTT
TV panel shipments decreased 3.5% M-o-M in February
Mar 24, 2020 – According to TrendForce, monthly TV panel shipments decreased by 3.5% MoM in February, reaching 20.073 million units. The COVID-19 pandemic’s effect on labor, logistics, and material supply remains a gradual process.
News categories: TrendForce, China, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Asia Pacific to add 45 million pay TV subscribers over next 5 years
Mar 23, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, the Asia Pacific pay TV sector is the most vibrant in the world, with the number of subscribers expected to grow by 45 million over the next five years while revenues increase by $1.40 billion.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, China, Digital TV, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Market Research
IPTV service revenue in Korea to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% to 2024
Jan 14, 2020 – South Korea’s IPTV revenue is set to grow at a CAGR of 4.4% for the period 2019-2024, according to GlobalData. The country's IPTV service revenue is expected to reach US$3.8bn with a subscriber base of 19.26 million in 2024.
News categories: GlobalData, Akash Jatwala, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Market Research, Subscribers
Humax supplying Android TV UHD STBs to T-Broad
Jan 2, 2020 – Humax has announced that it is supplying UHD set-top boxes based on Android TV to T-Broad, South Korea’s largest cable TV operator. The box is an IP hybrid model supporting DOCSIS 3.0 and includes middleware and CA for cable broadcasting.
News categories: Humax, T-Broad, Jeff Kim, Android TV, Cable TV, Digital TV, Korea, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Pay-TV revenues in S. Korea to grow at a CAGR of 0.7% over 2019-2024
Dec 30, 2019 – Total telecom and pay-TV services revenue in South Korea is expected to decline at a CAGR of 0.3% between 2019 and 2024. Growth in mobile data, fixed broadband and pay-TV segments’ revenues will fail to offset other declines according to GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research
ATEME powers VOD OTT and IPTV for Medialog
Dec 18, 2019 – ATEME has announced that Medialog, a subsidiary of LG U+, has implemented ATEME’s TITAN File solution for its VOD OTT and IPTV services. ATEME’s TITAN File is a multi-codec/multi-format file-based transcoder producing content for multiscreen delivery.
News categories: ATEME, Medialog, Boyang An, Tae Dong Lee, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, OTT
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020