Market Research (Reports, Surveys, Forecasts, Subscribers, …) News
Correction in LCD TV panel demand expected in 1Q 2018
Jan 17, 2018 – While some TV brands are expected to maintain their panel purchasing plans, others are forecast to reduce demand in the first quarter as it is a traditionally slow season and some demand was pulled into the last quarter, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Deborah Yang, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Online video in MENA to grow more than 22% annually until 2021
Jan 15, 2018 – According to EY’s report on video consumption trends in the region, most MENA markets are projected to grow online video revenues by 22%–35% annually until 2021. As a result, digital’s share of the video revenue pie is projected to rise from 9.6% in 2017 to 17.3% by 2021.
News categories: EY, Ahmed Reda, Nripendra Singh, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East, OTT
Growth in HD FTA channels at Eutelsat's 7/8°W neighbourhood
Jan 15, 2018 – At CABSAT, Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has released data about the TV channels it broadcasts from its 7/8° West video neighbourhood. There are now 187 HD channels at this position, 110 of which are free-to-air.
News categories: Eutelsat, CABSAT, Market Research, Middle-East, Satellite
Worldwide semiconductor revenue to grow 7.5% in 2018
Jan 15, 2018 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue is forecast to total $451 billion in 2018, an increase of 7.5% from $419 billion in 2017, according to Gartner. This represents a near doubling of Gartner's previous estimate of 4% growth for 2018.
News categories: Gartner, Ben Lee, Alan Priestley, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Pay TV competition biting in the MENA region
Jan 15, 2018 – Pay TV revenues in the Middle East and North Africa will reach $3.62 billion in 2023 – up by only 7.8% on 2017. Pay TV revenues will fall in 2018. They will be flat in 2019 before starting a slow recovery.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East
Dentsu Aegis forecasts improved ad spend outlook for 2018
Jan 12, 2018 – Dentsu Aegis Network’s latest Ad Spend Forecasts puts global growth at 3.6% in 2018, up from 3.1% in 2017. Events will play an important role in 2018, with the Winter Olympics, World Cup and US Congressional elections all expected to stimulate ad spend growth.
News categories: Dentsu Aegis, Jerry Buhlmann, Advertising, Market Research, Worldwide
8K display production to begin ramp-up in 2018
Jan 12, 2018 – As the demand for super-large TV displays grow, the need for higher resolution is set to increase, seeing the first uses of 8K display in 2018, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO). Most TV panel suppliers are planning to mass produce 8K displays in 2018.
News categories: IHS Markit, Ricky Park, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
60 million pay TV subscribers added globally between Q316 and Q317
Jan 11, 2018 – According to Q317 data published by Dataxis, 60 million pay TV subscribers have been added globally since Q316. Asia‐Pacific had the highest number of Pay TV subscribers accounting for 62% of the total in Q317.
News categories: Dataxis, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Worldwide
U.S. home entertainment spending up 5% in 2017
Jan 9, 2018 – DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group has released its Year-End 2017 Home Entertainment Report. Home entertainment spending reached $20.5 billion as consumers again showed they want access to films and TV shows at home and on the go.
News categories: Digital Entertainment Group, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, USA
- Correction in LCD TV panel demand expected in 1Q 2018
- fuboTV taps SpotX For monetization of OTT content
- Online video in MENA to grow more than 22% annually until 2021
- Growth in HD FTA channels at Eutelsat's 7/8°W neighbourhood
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue to grow 7.5% in 2018
- Fincons selected by Sky Deutschland as preferred supplier for OTT
- Marlin DRM announces Enhanced Content Protection for UHD content
- Pay TV competition biting in the MENA region
- Dentsu Aegis forecasts improved ad spend outlook for 2018
- Inview and Montage LZ offer joint STB middleware and chipset solution
- Partner Communications monitors OTT video quality with Interra Systems
- 8K display production to begin ramp-up in 2018
- SK Telecom, ONE Media, and Sinclair to develop ATSC 3.0 platform
- Stoneroos delivers set-top box UI for DELTA’s IPTV service
- Tru Optik launches OptOut.TV to give consumers OTT privacy controls
- 60 million pay TV subscribers added globally between Q316 and Q317
- Sinclair Broadcast and Imagine Communications collaborate on ATSC3.0 monetization
- Comcast expands home automation across its entire Xfinity portfolio
- LG 4K UHD TVs in Korea include ATSC 3.0 tuners
- DISH to work with the Google Assistant