Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
Bezeq plans migration of 'yes' from satellite to OTT
Mar 14, 2019 – Bezeq (TASE: BEZQ) has announced that it plans to migrate its 'yes' service from satellite transmission to broadcasting over the Internet (OTT) in a gradual process that is expected to be spread over several years.
News categories: Bezeq, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Israel, OTT, Satellite
Benin signs up with SES for DTT distribution and DTH
Mar 13, 2019 – Viewers in the Republic of Benin are now receiving 15 new FTA channels from satellite, thanks to an agreement that Benin has signed with SES. A number of HD channels will be broadcast - the first HD channels to be available over DTT in Africa.
News categories: SES S.A, Clint Brown, Darius Quenum, Benin, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Terrestrial
U.S. multichannel video losses nearly 4 million in 2018
Mar 11, 2019 – According to Kagan, U.S. cable, satellite and telecom multichannel sectors lost nearly 1.1 million subscriptions in the fourth quarter, which pushed the full-year decline to 4 million. DBS services accounted for more than half of the annual loss.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Quadrille And Anevia Partner To Jointly Offer OTT Over Satellite
Mar 11, 2019 – Quadrille and Anevia have strengthened their partnership to offer OTT over satellite. The joint solution will enable content providers and operators to offer live-TV in situations where it was previously unavailable due to limited bandwidth.
News categories: Quadrille, Anevia, Xavier Batta, Ivonne Prugnaud, CABSAT, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, Worldwide
IPTV drives Asia’s pay TV growth
Mar 11, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, the Asia Pacific pay TV sector is vibrant, with both subscribers and revenues expected to rise over the next five years. However, the numbers are lower than previously forecast, mainly due to cable subscribers in China converting to OTT.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,875,000 subscribers in 2018
Mar 6, 2019 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,875,000 net video subscribers in 2018, compared to a pro forma loss of about 1,510,000 subscribers in 2017.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
39 million Americans added or switched Internet, TV or Phone Service in 2018
Mar 6, 2019 – According to research from BroadbandNow, 39 million U.S. adults added or switched home internet, TV or phone service in 2018. The research examines why internet, TV and phone customers switch providers or subscribe to new services, and whether or not they are happier after doing so.
News categories: BroadbandNow, John Busby, Broadband, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, USA
OneWeb first launch mission a success
Feb 28, 2019 – OneWeb has announced the successful launch of its first six broadband satellites. The OneWeb network will provide high data throughput, low latency, global coverage to the poles, and a range of user terminals for multiple markets.
News categories: OneWeb, Adrian Steckel, Broadband, Satellite, Worldwide
MultiChoice lists on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange
Feb 27, 2019 – MultiChoice Group Limited (MCG) has listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE). The listed MCG includes MultiChoice South Africa (MCSA), MultiChoice Africa Holdings (MAH), Showmax, as well Irdeto, and all their subsidiaries and affiliates.
News categories: MultiChoice, Naspers, Irdeto, Calvo Mawela, Bob van Dijk, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Finance, OTT, Satellite, South Africa, Worldwide
- Interra Systems adds support for Dolby Vision to its QC platform
- Global SVoD revenues to grow 25% in 2019 to $36bn
- Rohde & Schwarz wins DVB-T2 transmitter contract in Egypt
- Allegro DVT introduces real-time AV1 encoder IP for 4K/UHD video
- Double digit growth for flat panel displays in 2018
- FreeWheel and A+E Networks pilot unified ad decisioning engine
- GatesAir and Foccus Digital upgrade ISDB-Tb transmitters for TV Record in Brazil
- Global 5G smartphone shipments to reach 5 million units in 2019
- Atlantic Broadband brings new TiVo experience to Low Country area of South Carolina
- Deltatre releases report on sports streaming
- Shemaroo enters the US market with ShemarooMe VOD launch
- Philo unveils connected TV ad platform
- Swisscom switches on Switzerland’s first 5G network
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 270 million
- Premium video solidifies its position in the European marketplace
- Amazon bulk certifies Espial Elevate operators for Alexa voice control
- ACCESS acquires NetRange
- AT&T sells Hulu minority stake back to Hulu
- Witbe implements Nielsen Watermark Detection
- TekSavvy TV launching in Toronto