Semiconductor (ICs, silicon IP, microchips, …) News
MediaTek 8K DTV SoC begins volume production at TSMC
Nov 8, 2019 – MediaTek (TWSE: 2454) and TSMC (TWSE: 2330, NYSE: TSM) have announced that the industry’s first 8K digital TV SoC manufactured with 12nm technology, the MediaTek S900, has entered volume manufacturing with TSMC.
News categories: TSMC, MediaTek, Dr. Kevin Zhang, H.W. Kao, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Taiwan, Worldwide
LG and Qualcomm join forces on automotive infotainment
Oct 30, 2019 – LG and Qualcomm have announced plans to work together to further develop webOS Auto, LG’s connected in-vehicle infotainment system. The companies aim to create and advance a more convenient in-car experience for drivers and passengers alike.
News categories: LG Electronics, Qualcomm, Dr. I.P. Park, Jim Cathey, Digital TV, In-Car, Semiconductor, UX, Worldwide
2019 flat-panel display driver IC shipments exhibit negative growth
Oct 29, 2019 – According to WitsView, reduced panel shipments are causing the demand for flat-panel display driver ICs to undergo a corresponding decline. 2019 YoY growth is projected to be -3.2% - the first instance of negative growth in recent years.
News categories: TrendForce, Julian Lee, Digital TV, Market Research, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sumitomo selects SiTune ISDB-S3 tuner for 4K/8K set-top box
Oct 17, 2019 – SiTune has announced that its ISDB-S3 silicon tuner has contributed to the market success of Sumitomo's Cable STB for 4K/8K satellite broadcasting. The STB has been available since March and has been distributed to several CATV operators.
News categories: SiTune, Sumitomo, Marzieh Veyseh, Hiroaki Nishimoto, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor
EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
Oct 16, 2019 – The European Commission has ordered Broadcom to stop applying certain provisions contained in agreements with six of its main customers. This will prevent serious and irreparable harm to competition likely to be caused by Broadcom's conduct, which prima facie infringes EU competition rules.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Allegro DVT acquires Amphion Semiconductor
Oct 16, 2019 – Allegro DVT has announced the acquisition of Amphion Semiconductor. The acquisition combines the capabilities of Allegro DVT's advanced video codec IPs with Amphion's silicon proven video decoder IPs.
News categories: Allegro DVT, Amphion Semi, Nouar Hamze, Stephen Farson, Digital TV, France, MnA, Silicon IP, UK, Worldwide
KPN introduces new TV box with Bluetooth remote control
Oct 7, 2019 – KPN is introducing an improved TV receiver and remote control from October 1. The TV receiver is based on Broadcom's 72604B0 chipset and is suitable for 4K HDR and Dolby Atmos. The remote control now has Bluetooth functionality.
News categories: KPN, Digital TV, IPTV, Netherlands, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
MediaTek introduces MT5670 chipset for 4K UHD Smart TVs
Sep 25, 2019 – MediaTek has introduced its newest chipset for smart TVs, the MT5670. The highly integrated chipset lets consumer electronics manufacturers build high quality, feature-rich 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) digital TVs at affordable price points.
News categories: MediaTek, Mike Chang, Android TV, Digital TV, ICs, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
Amazon and partners announce Voice Interoperability Initiative
Sep 24, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) and leading technology companies have announced the Voice Interoperability Initiative, a program to ensure voice-enabled products provide customers with choice and flexibility through multiple, interoperable voice services.
News categories: Amazon, Jeff Bezos, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
- WIND-Hellas launching Cloud Recordings with Zappware