South Africa Digital TV News
South Africa releases details of STB subsidy
Oct 28, 2014 – The Universal Service Agency of South Africa (USAASA) has released details of the set-top box subsidy scheme that it intends to roll out. As part of South Africa's Broadcasting Digital Migration (BDM) Programme, the USAASA is required to manage the disbursement of STB subsidies to needy TV-owning households.
News categories: USAASA, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa's OpenView HD now available on same satellite as DStv
Oct 6, 2014 – OpenView HD, South Africa’s first free-to-view DTH satellite television platform, will soon also be available on the same satellite dish used to receive DStv, Vivid and Freevision services.
News categories: Platco Digital, OpenView HD, Maxwell Nonge, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Sigma Designs, Digisoft.tv and Novabase bring VOD to South Africa
Sep 10, 2014 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced a collaboration with Digisoft.tv and Novabase on a rental service that allows consumers in South Africa to download VOD content at public kiosks via memory stick for playback on a low-cost STB.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Digisoft.tv, Novabase, Mustafa Ozgen, Fearghal Kelly, Michael Pauli, Digital TV, Gateway, IBCShow, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, South Africa
MultiChoice launches single view DStv HD Decoder
Aug 25, 2014 – MultiChoice has released its first HD single view decoder, the DStv HD Decoder, which will make great HD quality viewing and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound accessible to more DStv customers.
News categories: MultiChoice, DStv, Mark Rayner, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
ICASA issues updated DTT regulations
Aug 22, 2014 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has published regulations related to DTT broadcasting in the country. The purpose of the regulations is to promote diversity and competition as well as prescribe conditions for assignment of multiplex channel capacity.
News categories: Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
MultiChoice Africa extends DTH contract with Eutelsat
Jul 30, 2014 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) and MultiChoice Africa have inked an agreement that will ensure the continuing expansion of the DStv pay-TV platform. The contract also further anchors Eutelsat’s sub-Saharan Africa neighbourhood at 36°E.
News categories: Eutelsat, MultiChoice, Nico Meyer, Michel de Rosen, Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline
Jul 22, 2014 – Ovum has found that most sub-Saharan countries will not achieve the ITU deadline to switch off their analogue TV due to a lack of public awareness, inadequate funding of TV infrastructure and insufficient supplies of set-top boxes.
News categories: Ovum, Adam Thomas, Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Market Research, Nigeria, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
HTTV to provide HbbTV head-end to Sentech
May 20, 2014 – HTTV has announced that it will supply httvStream, its flagship Head End product, to enable Sentech and South African broadcasters to deploy HbbTV services on Sentech's Direct To Home - Satellite (DTH - S) Platform.
News categories: HTTV, Sentech, Régis Saint Girons, Gordon Maynar, ANGA, Digital TV, HbbTV, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
Motive TV signs software contract with Skyworth
Apr 17, 2014 – Motive Television has announced that it has signed a Software Development License Agreement with Skyworth who will be supplying set top boxes in support of the Siyaya DTH service in South Africa.
News categories: Motive Television, Skyworth, Leonard M Fertig, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
- Fashion One launches world’s first global Ultra HD channel with SES
- Thomson Video Networks and Expway to demo live LTE distribution with eMBMS at IBC
- Argentina’s Supercanal chooses Conax-secured end-to-end solution
- Alliance for Open Media established
- ALi adds HEVC to set-top box chipset lineup
- U.S. pay TV cord-cutting fears validated by Q2 losses
- ATEME and NexGuard launch pre-release HDR watermarking
- Booxmedia signs multiscreen OTT deal with DELTA of the Netherlands
- MStar integrates Verimatrix VideoMark forensic watermarking for UHD
- LG adds DIRECTV as content partner for webOS TVs
- Proximus releases SwipeBox for sharing photos and videos on the TV screen
- Ziggo leads drop in Dutch TV subscriptions in Q2 2015
- CEA defines 'HDR Compatible' displays
- Opera TV debuts HbbTV 2.0 SDK for TV and STB manufacturers
- Com Hem unifies delivery of linear and multiscreen TV with Elemental
- ALi introduces STB/Sound Bar combo
- Half of U.S. internet homes own a connected TV device
- SCSA releases VIDITY licensing specifications
- Technicolor and Fraunhofer announce MPEG-H Audio licensing program
- 1,400 satellites to launch over the next decade