South Africa Digital TV News
Econet Media selects Verimatrix VCAS for its Kwesé TV service
Nov 14, 2016 – Verimatrix has announced that Econet Media has selected the Verimatrix Video Content Authority System (VCAS) platform to secure its Kwesé TV service. Verimatrix is providing revenue security for the Kwesé app and Kwesé Free Sports channel.
News categories: Verimatrix, Econet Media, Steve Oetegenn, Joseph Hundah, Africa, Apps, Content Protection, Digital TV, Multiscreen, South Africa, TVConnect
MultiChoice launches ARRIS HD PVR with HEVC for streaming
Nov 10, 2016 – MultiChoice has launched the DStv Explora 2 decoder from ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) to customers in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. Its HEVC technology will reduce the bandwidth needed to stream or download shows.
News categories: ARRIS International, Naspers, Steve McCaffery, Gerdus van Eeden, Africa, Digital TV, Media Player, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
South Africa begins analogue switch-off
Oct 25, 2016 – South Africa began the first phase of Analogue Switch-Off (ASO) on Friday, 28 October 2016 in the Northern Cape. This major national milestone forms part of the country’s Broadcasting Digital Migration (BDM) process.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Intelsat 36 begins service for Africa's MultiChoice
Oct 6, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that the Intelsat 36 satellite has entered service, providing broadcasting and direct-to-home (DTH) services for Africa’s MultiChoice, the leading DTH platform in South Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Brian Jakins, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Intelsat 36 launch adds DTH capacity for Sub-Saharan Africa
Aug 24, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced the successful launch of Intelsat 36, designed to enhance Intelsat’s media neighborhoods serving Africa and the Indian Ocean regions. The Ku-band payload was built to support South Africa's MultiChoice.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Stephen Spengler, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Econet to launch Kwesé TV in South Africa before August this year
Mar 17, 2016 – The English Premier League has announced that it has awarded the exclusive rights to broadcast Free To Air (FTA) for the next three seasons to the Econet Wireless Group which is launching a satellite and Internet broadcasting network this year under the brand Kwesé TV.
News categories: Econet Wireless, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
Feb 3, 2016 – M-Net has unveiled its digital terrestrial television service for South Africa, called GOtv. GOtv will use digital network towers throughout South Africa and customers will need a decoder to access the signal.
News categories: M-Net, GOtv, Yolisa Phahle, Tsabiso Letsoela, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Dual-illumination to begin in South Africa on February 1, 2016
Dec 11, 2015 – In a statement on decisions made at its Cabinet meeting of December 9th, South Africa's government announced that it has approved the commencement of a dual-illumination period for digital broadcasting, beginning on February 1st, 2016.
News categories: Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to install first subsidised STBs on December 17th
Dec 9, 2015 – South Africa's Communications Minister will, as part of the country's Broadcasting Digital Migration project, install the first batch of government subsidised set-top boxes (STBs) in households in Keimoes in the Northern Cape on December 17th.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Conax secures CableVideo and Colsecor in Argentina
- SPB TV Android TV box certified by Google
- Dish TV India selects Verimatrix Cardless Security for DTH expansion
- CubiTV pre-integrated with Conax Arena multiscreen hub
- MaxLinear and Gospell deliver multi-tuner LNB solution for satellite
- Tivù premieres the first HbbTV 2.0.1 application: tivùon!
- Vewd certifies Wiztivi UI framework for pay TV
- VUBIQUITY and NOKIA announce ‘Time-Shift As A Service’ for OTT
- SERAPHIC showcases ready-to-go Freeview Play browser solution at IBC 2017
- Deutsche Glasfaser selects Amino for next wave of DGTV deployments
- Tata Sky appoints Irdeto for next generation OTT media services
- Internet Video Archive and XroadMedia enable content discovery experiences
- Mstar T12 UHD TV SoC incorporates Fraunhofer MPEG-H Audio
- NeuLion powers NOVA OTT in Bulgaria
- SERAPHIC and Foxxum working together to upgrade TV UI experience
- Tivù and Yotta Media invest in HbbTV operator app development
- Multimedia Polska streamlines content security with ARRIS upgrade
- Altice strengthens partnership with ARRIS for video in the US and Europe
- Irdeto and Vestel launch TVs with integrated broadcast pay TV capabilities
- Intertrust and EVIO announce ExpressPlay CA-based content protection system