South Africa Digital TV News
M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
Feb 3, 2016 – M-Net has unveiled its digital terrestrial television service for South Africa, called GOtv. GOtv will use digital network towers throughout South Africa and customers will need a decoder to access the signal.
News categories: M-Net, GOtv, Yolisa Phahle, Tsabiso Letsoela, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Dual-illumination to begin in South Africa on February 1, 2016
Dec 11, 2015 – In a statement on decisions made at its Cabinet meeting of December 9th, South Africa's government announced that it has approved the commencement of a dual-illumination period for digital broadcasting, beginning on February 1st, 2016.
News categories: Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to install first subsidised STBs on December 17th
Dec 9, 2015 – South Africa's Communications Minister will, as part of the country's Broadcasting Digital Migration project, install the first batch of government subsidised set-top boxes (STBs) in households in Keimoes in the Northern Cape on December 17th.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South African TV households to grow 10% by 2018
Dec 9, 2015 – According to Dataxis, the total number of South African TV households will grow 10% from end-2015 to end-2018 as pay-DTH continues to grow and new pay services using DTT and IPTV come on stream.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
Discover Digital launches OTT VOD with Broadpeak
Nov 17, 2015 – Broadpeak has announced that Discover Digital, a South African digital entertainment company, has selected Broadpeak's video delivery solution to power its OTT transactional video on demand (TVOD) and subscription video on demand (SVOD) platform.
News categories: Broadpeak, Discover Digital, Jacques Le Mancq, Stephen Watson, Digital TV, Infrastructure, OTT, South Africa
MultiChoice chooses Elemental for delivery of its DStv online service
Nov 11, 2015 – Elemental has announced that MultiChoice is using Elemental for live streaming and video-on-demand (VOD) delivery of its DStv online service, which makes sports and entertainment content available on smart phones and tablets to more than 10 million subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: Elemental, MultiChoice, John Nemeth, Jean-Pierre Rossouw, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, OTT, South Africa
Digital migration to kick-off in South Africa's Northern Cape
Sep 29, 2015 – South Africa's Minister of Communications has announced that the registration process for subsidised set-top-boxes will begin at the Square Kilometre Array community of Keimoes, Kai Garib Municipality, Northern Cape on the 2nd of October 2015.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Sentech delivers DTH and DTT via Intelsat 20
Sep 25, 2015 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that Sentech has extended its contract for multiple years. Sentech will continue to use Ku-band capacity on Intelsat 20 at 68.5°E to expand its DTH and DTT services in Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, Sentech, Rhys Morgan, Leago Takalani, Africa, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
ONTAPtv OTT VOD service launches in South Africa
Sep 16, 2015 – PCCW Global has announced the launch of ONTAPtv.com, an OTT VoD entertainment service for South Africa. With a selection of à la carte content packages, the service is available either using a browser or via Android and iOS apps.
News categories: PCCW, ONTAPtv.com, Marc Halbfinger, Lindsay Servian, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, South Africa
- Rohde & Schwarz transmitters used by first ATSC 3.0 broadcaster
- Irdeto and Harmonic team up to support CSA3 scrambling
- Market focus switching to live linear OTT video services
- Viaccess-Orca selects Media Motive app test automation platform
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 1.5% in 2016
- Tele Columbus launches advanceTV in Germany
- 15% of U.S. broadband households have antenna-only TV service
- Nielsen gets access to AT&T STB viewing data for ratings measurement
- Cable ONE to acquire NewWave Communications
- ENENSYS selected by SBS in Korea for ATSC 3.0 rollout
- Canada pay TV industry announces STB efficiency agreement
- Selevision chooses Voddler Group to optimise OTT Q-of-E
- PeerLogix announces OTT Monetization Platform
- Viaccess-Orca acquires mobile video app developer BigHill
- HbbTV issues RFP for online video reference application
- SONIQ Smart TVs integrate SERAPHIC browser for YouTube TV
- Hispasat 36W-1 satellite due for orbit on January 27
- EUTELSAT 117 West B all-electric satellite now in commercial service
- Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV thrives despite falling prices
- Digita granted 10 year DTT licence for Finland