South Africa Digital TV News
South Africa's OpenView HD now available on same satellite as DStv
Oct 6, 2014 – OpenView HD, South Africa’s first free-to-view DTH satellite television platform, will soon also be available on the same satellite dish used to receive DStv, Vivid and Freevision services.
News categories: Platco Digital, OpenView HD, Maxwell Nonge, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Sigma Designs, Digisoft.tv and Novabase bring VOD to South Africa
Sep 10, 2014 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced a collaboration with Digisoft.tv and Novabase on a rental service that allows consumers in South Africa to download VOD content at public kiosks via memory stick for playback on a low-cost STB.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Digisoft.tv, Novabase, Mustafa Ozgen, Fearghal Kelly, Michael Pauli, Digital TV, Gateway, IBC, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, South Africa
MultiChoice launches single view DStv HD Decoder
Aug 25, 2014 – MultiChoice has released its first HD single view decoder, the DStv HD Decoder, which will make great HD quality viewing and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound accessible to more DStv customers.
News categories: MultiChoice, DStv, Mark Rayner, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
ICASA issues updated DTT regulations
Aug 22, 2014 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA) has published regulations related to DTT broadcasting in the country. The purpose of the regulations is to promote diversity and competition as well as prescribe conditions for assignment of multiplex channel capacity.
News categories: Independent Communications Authority of South Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
MultiChoice Africa extends DTH contract with Eutelsat
Jul 30, 2014 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) and MultiChoice Africa have inked an agreement that will ensure the continuing expansion of the DStv pay-TV platform. The contract also further anchors Eutelsat’s sub-Saharan Africa neighbourhood at 36°E.
News categories: Eutelsat, MultiChoice, Nico Meyer, Michel de Rosen, Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
Most sub-Saharan countries to miss 2015 TV switchover deadline
Jul 22, 2014 – Ovum has found that most sub-Saharan countries will not achieve the ITU deadline to switch off their analogue TV due to a lack of public awareness, inadequate funding of TV infrastructure and insufficient supplies of set-top boxes.
News categories: Ovum, Adam Thomas, Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Market Research, Nigeria, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
HTTV to provide HbbTV head-end to Sentech
May 20, 2014 – HTTV has announced that it will supply httvStream, its flagship Head End product, to enable Sentech and South African broadcasters to deploy HbbTV services on Sentech's Direct To Home - Satellite (DTH - S) Platform.
News categories: HTTV, Sentech, Régis Saint Girons, Gordon Maynar, ANGA, Digital TV, HbbTV, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
Motive TV signs software contract with Skyworth
Apr 17, 2014 – Motive Television has announced that it has signed a Software Development License Agreement with Skyworth who will be supplying set top boxes in support of the Siyaya DTH service in South Africa.
News categories: Motive Television, Skyworth, Leonard M Fertig, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
MultiChoice selects Clearleap to accelerate multiscreen strategy
Apr 16, 2014 – Clearleap has been selected by MultiChoice to accelerate its multiscreen strategy and provide efficient management and delivery of its television content over both IP network and traditional pay-TV networks.
News categories: Clearleap, MultiChoice, Gerdus Van Eeden, Braxton Jarratt, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, South Africa
- NAGRA enables CANAL+ France to deploy multiscreen TV services on over one million Android devices
- Zenterio OS to be rolled out in Deutsche Telekom's European footprint
- Marvell announces SoC platform for 4K entertainment and gaming
- Minimal impact for cord-cutting in Western Europe
- Pay TV growing fastest in the MENA region
- Digital TV Labs opens 'HbbTV App Lab'
- Wyplay integrates V-Nova PERSEUS video compression technology
- AT&T U-Verse TV adds 50,000 subscribers in 1Q 2015
- Worldwide semiconductor sales expected to grow 4% in 2015
- Nagra enables StarHub to deliver IPTV offering to all-IP fibre network
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi CPE shipments to hit 71 million units in 2015
- Broadcom reports first quarter 2015 results
- Nagra introduces new secure Google Chrome web browser plug-in for pay-TV operators
- TR-069-enabled devices to pass 350 million in 2016
- Sequans and Expway deliver LTE Broadcast over Wi-Fi solution
- Verizon adds 90,000 net FiOS Video connections in 1Q 2015
- OTT TV market to increase fourfold by 2019
- Telekom Slovenije selects Viaccess-Orca player for OTT delivery
- Frog by Wyplay powers Sky Italia HD decoders
- Netflix' international business yet to turn a profit