South Africa Digital TV News
OTT video starting to take-off in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa
Jul 22, 2015 – OTT TV and video revenues in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EEMEA) will reach $2,635 million in 2020 - up from only $52 million recorded in 2010 and the $616 million expected in 2015, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Market Research, Middle-East, Nigeria, OTT, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Subscribers, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine
South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
Apr 17, 2015 – Speaking at the Southern African Digital Broadcasting Workshop, South Africa's Minister of Communications said that the country plans to implement its transition to digital broadcasting over the next 18 months.
News categories: Faith Muthambi, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa updates Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy
Mar 19, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications (DoC) has gazetted the Amendment of the Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy issued under Government Gazette No 31408 on 8 September 2008.
News categories: Department of Communications, Content Protection, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa will not switch-off analogue TV by June 17th
Mar 8, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications has issued a new Broadcasting Digital Migration policy. A set-top box control system will be required only to encourage local manufacturing. The country will not meet the ITU deadline for the switch-off of analogue television.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to provide free STBs to 5 million poor households
Mar 5, 2015 – South Africa's government has said that it will provide free STBs to more than 5 million poor television household owners. The priority will be given to those households in the border region areas of the country.
News categories: Department of Communications, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa plans to migrate to digital 'within 2 years'
Feb 25, 2015 – In documents released to support South Africa's annual budget speech, the Ministry of Communications has outlined its financing requirements for migration of the country to digital broadcasting within 2 years.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Infrastructure, South Africa, Terrestrial
Sentech opts for Net Insight for DTT network in South Africa
Feb 18, 2015 – Net Insight has announced that its transport solution has been selected by South Africa's state-owned transmission network operator Sentech, to deliver contribution services for its national digital terrestrial TV (DTT) network.
News categories: Net Insight, Sentech, Fredrik Tumegård, Setumo Mohapi, Digital TV, Infrastructure, South Africa, Terrestrial
Altech selects DivX HEVC Ultra HD and DivX Plus HD for STBs
Jan 20, 2015 – DivX and Altech have announced an agreement to license and integrate DivX Plus HD and DivX HEVC technology into Altech's upcoming set-top boxes. The devices will be made available to consumers through retail and operator channels.
News categories: DivX, Altech, Dr. Kanaan Jemili, Marco Caputo, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, South Africa, Worldwide
Siyaya awarded broadcasting licence in South Africa
Nov 19, 2014 – Motive Television has said that is has been informed by Siyaya Free To Air TV of South Africa that Siyaya has received an official letter from ICASA advising that Siyaya TV has fully met ICASA's licensing terms.
News categories: Motive Television, ICASA, Leonard M Fertig, Regulation, Satellite, South Africa
- Bang & Olufsen launches BeoLink SmartHome
- STB shipments to SAARC region grew 52% in 2015
- Accenture powers SKY On Demand in the Philippines
- Charter adds 29,000 residential video customers in 4Q 2015
- Freesat now available in 1.93 million homes
- Swisscom TV adds 166,000 subscribers in 2015
- Vodafone adds 200,000 TV customers in 4Q 2015
- Technicolor withdraws from the HEVC Advance patent pool
- Kazakhstan's Alma TV to launch IPTV in the first half of 2016
- Comcast video subscribers up 89,000 in 4Q 2015
- Dish TV India adds 317,000 net subscribers in 4Q 2015
- Dialog Semi offers power management ICs for STBs and Smart TVs
- DEN Networks adds 1.7 million digital cable subscribers in 2015
- Yahoo! to kill Smart TV product
- 802.11ac to represent nearly 65% of access point shipments in 2016
- EU proposes to move 700MHz UHF band to mobile services
- MStar SoCs to include Conax cardless security
- Samsung UK Smart TV hub attracting 2.5 million weekly visitors
- >50% Smart TV penetration in major TV markets by 2019
- GS Group releases first Russian 4K Ultra HD set-top box