South Africa Digital TV News
Motive begins installations for FreeVision DTH in South Africa
Mar 27, 2014 – Motive Television has announce that it has begun the installation of its Content Express™ platform in South Africa in accordance with the contract signed in December 2013 with Siyaya Free To Air TV.
News categories: Motive Television, Sentech, FreeVision, Skyworth, Leonard M Fertig, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
STMicroelectronics powers new Set-Top Boxes from MultiChoice
Jan 7, 2014 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM) has revealed that its STiH237 System-on-Chip (SoC) will be powering the latest generation of High-Definition (HD), non-PVR set-top boxes currently under development by MultiChoice, South Africa's leading pay-TV operator.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, MultiChoice, Gerdus van Eeden, Alessandro Messi, Digital TV, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, South Africa
Motive Television signs contract with South Africa's Siyaya TV
Dec 30, 2013 – Motive Television (AIM: MTV.LN) has announced that it will install, integrate, and operate Siyaya's VOD platform in conjunction with the launch of Siyaya's TV services on the Sentech Freevision DTH satellite service in South Africa.
News categories: Motive Television, Leonard M Fertig, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
South Africa to switch on digital TV by April 1, 2014
Dec 6, 2013 – South Africa's Ministry of Communications has announced that it intends to update the schedule in its Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy. The switch-on of the digital television signal will now take place by 01 April 2014.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, DVB-S2, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
Dec 5, 2013 – South Africa's Cabinet has decided that the use of a control system should not be mandatory. The STBs will, however, have a control system to protect Government’s investment in the subsidized STB market and the local electronics industry.
News categories: Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
OpenView HD FTA DTH service launches in South Africa
Oct 16, 2013 – OpenView HD, Platco Digital’s free-to-air satellite TV platform, is operational and South African viewers can take advantage of an offering that requires nothing more than a one-off payment with no monthly subscription fee.
News categories: OpenView HD, Maxwell Nonge, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Sentech announces launch of FREEVISION in South Africa
Sep 30, 2013 – SENTECH, South Africa's state-owned broadcasting signal distributor has announced that from 30 September 2013 the Company will rebrand its Vivid service as 'FREEVISION', a Universal Access Direct-To-Home Satellite (DTH-S) platform.
News categories: SENTECH, Dr Setumo Mohapi, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
SES enables StarTimes to expand TV reach in Africa
Sep 13, 2013 – SES (Paris; Luxembourg: SESG) has announced that StarTimes has signed a contract on SES-5 to expand its media footprint in Africa and deliver DTH services across the continent. StarTimes also acquired SES' 20% shareholding in South Africa's Top TV.
News categories: SES S.A, StarTimes, Top TV, Pang Xinxing, Ferdinand Kayser, Africa, Infrastructure, M&A, Satellite, South Africa
FREEVISION gap-filler DTH service to launch in South Africa
Aug 20, 2013 – SENTECH has announced that it will rebrand its Vivid service as 'FREEVISION' - a Universal Access Direct-To-Home Satellite (DTH-S) service - from 30 September 2013.
News categories: SENTECH, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
- HTTV and TeVolution combine DTT/OTT efforts for Africa
- Bell Media to launch on-demand subscription TV in Canada
- TiVo now available from Cogeco Cable Canada
- Roku powers Sky Online TV Box in Germany
- Sky Deutschland announces Sky Online OTT service
- VUDU entertainment service launches on TiVo
- Ittiam enables HEVC support in Android Lollipop
- Charter video subscribers down 9,000 in 3Q 2014
- STMicroelectronics reports third quarter 2014 results
- Asia Pacific to lead multiscreen boom
- 14% of U.S. broadband homes now without traditional pay TV
- ARM announces single-core video codec IP for HEVC
- Silicon Labs launches 6th generation silicon tuners
- Beltelecom expands DTT coverage in Belarus
- Amazon introduces its Fire TV Stick
- Philippines digital TV to begin in 2019
- Sky TV New Zealand to launch NEON SVOD service in December
- Tivi OTT service begins test operations in Bosnia & Herzegovina
- Global pay TV market to generate $269 billion in 2014
- U.S. broadband households watch 17.4 hours of non-linear video per week