South Africa Digital TV News
Econet to launch Kwesé TV in South Africa before August this year
Mar 17, 2016 – The English Premier League has announced that it has awarded the exclusive rights to broadcast Free To Air (FTA) for the next three seasons to the Econet Wireless Group which is launching a satellite and Internet broadcasting network this year under the brand Kwesé TV.
News categories: Econet Wireless, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
Feb 3, 2016 – M-Net has unveiled its digital terrestrial television service for South Africa, called GOtv. GOtv will use digital network towers throughout South Africa and customers will need a decoder to access the signal.
News categories: M-Net, GOtv, Yolisa Phahle, Tsabiso Letsoela, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Dual-illumination to begin in South Africa on February 1, 2016
Dec 11, 2015 – In a statement on decisions made at its Cabinet meeting of December 9th, South Africa's government announced that it has approved the commencement of a dual-illumination period for digital broadcasting, beginning on February 1st, 2016.
News categories: Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to install first subsidised STBs on December 17th
Dec 9, 2015 – South Africa's Communications Minister will, as part of the country's Broadcasting Digital Migration project, install the first batch of government subsidised set-top boxes (STBs) in households in Keimoes in the Northern Cape on December 17th.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South African TV households to grow 10% by 2018
Dec 9, 2015 – According to Dataxis, the total number of South African TV households will grow 10% from end-2015 to end-2018 as pay-DTH continues to grow and new pay services using DTT and IPTV come on stream.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
Discover Digital launches OTT VOD with Broadpeak
Nov 17, 2015 – Broadpeak has announced that Discover Digital, a South African digital entertainment company, has selected Broadpeak's video delivery solution to power its OTT transactional video on demand (TVOD) and subscription video on demand (SVOD) platform.
News categories: Broadpeak, Discover Digital, Jacques Le Mancq, Stephen Watson, Digital TV, Infrastructure, OTT, South Africa
MultiChoice chooses Elemental for delivery of its DStv online service
Nov 11, 2015 – Elemental has announced that MultiChoice is using Elemental for live streaming and video-on-demand (VOD) delivery of its DStv online service, which makes sports and entertainment content available on smart phones and tablets to more than 10 million subscribers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: Elemental, MultiChoice, John Nemeth, Jean-Pierre Rossouw, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, OTT, South Africa
Digital migration to kick-off in South Africa's Northern Cape
Sep 29, 2015 – South Africa's Minister of Communications has announced that the registration process for subsidised set-top-boxes will begin at the Square Kilometre Array community of Keimoes, Kai Garib Municipality, Northern Cape on the 2nd of October 2015.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Sentech delivers DTH and DTT via Intelsat 20
Sep 25, 2015 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that Sentech has extended its contract for multiple years. Sentech will continue to use Ku-band capacity on Intelsat 20 at 68.5°E to expand its DTH and DTT services in Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, Sentech, Rhys Morgan, Leago Takalani, Africa, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Gracenote unveils entertainment data products for video, music and sports
- Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
- OTT content is driving demand for streaming media devices and smart TVs
- New Zealand Commerce Commission blocks Vodafone/Sky merger
- Eurofins Digital Testing signs strategic agreement with Nokia
- Nokia and AT&T conduct 5G streaming tests with DIRECTV NOW
- KAONMEDIA STB with AI home assistant deployed by Korea Telecom
- DISH Network adds 28,000 pay TV subscribers in 4Q 2016
- Tata Elxsi and Portugal's NOS partner to accelerate RDK deployment
- MobiTV announces $21M in additional funding
- Tru Optik and LiveRamp make first-party data actionable across connected TVs
- Google dominates VR headset shipments
- LG webOS 3.5 first Smart TV with UL cybersecurity certification
- Amazon Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote arrives in the UK
- KT chooses Conexant Voice Processor for Virtual Assistant Media Hub
- Indonesia's SuperSoccer selects Harmonic for live football streaming
- Australian sales of VR headsets exceed 200,000 units in 2016
- Ericsson and Vodafone study user reactions to broadband delays
- Evolution Digital and Conax provide Multi-DRM security for eVUE-TV
- Anyka Micro selects Allegro DVT multi-format video encoder IP