South Africa Digital TV News
ONTAPtv OTT VOD service launches in South Africa
Sep 16, 2015 – PCCW Global has announced the launch of ONTAPtv.com, an OTT VoD entertainment service for South Africa. With a selection of à la carte content packages, the service is available either using a browser or via Android and iOS apps.
News categories: PCCW, ONTAPtv.com, Marc Halbfinger, Lindsay Servian, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, South Africa
Skyworth's South Africa factory ships first 70,000 set-top boxes
Sep 7, 2015 – Skyworth (000810.SZ) has announced that its factory in Johannesburg - co-owned by local company BUA Africa - has successfully completed its first shipment, delivering a total of 70,000 set-top boxes across South Africa.
News categories: Skyworth, Angélique Boissy, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
OTT video starting to take-off in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa
Jul 22, 2015 – OTT TV and video revenues in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EEMEA) will reach $2,635 million in 2020 - up from only $52 million recorded in 2010 and the $616 million expected in 2015, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Market Research, Middle-East, Nigeria, OTT, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Subscribers, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine
South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
Apr 17, 2015 – Speaking at the Southern African Digital Broadcasting Workshop, South Africa's Minister of Communications said that the country plans to implement its transition to digital broadcasting over the next 18 months.
News categories: Faith Muthambi, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa updates Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy
Mar 19, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications (DoC) has gazetted the Amendment of the Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy issued under Government Gazette No 31408 on 8 September 2008.
News categories: Department of Communications, Content Protection, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa will not switch-off analogue TV by June 17th
Mar 8, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications has issued a new Broadcasting Digital Migration policy. A set-top box control system will be required only to encourage local manufacturing. The country will not meet the ITU deadline for the switch-off of analogue television.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to provide free STBs to 5 million poor households
Mar 5, 2015 – South Africa's government has said that it will provide free STBs to more than 5 million poor television household owners. The priority will be given to those households in the border region areas of the country.
News categories: Department of Communications, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa plans to migrate to digital 'within 2 years'
Feb 25, 2015 – In documents released to support South Africa's annual budget speech, the Ministry of Communications has outlined its financing requirements for migration of the country to digital broadcasting within 2 years.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Infrastructure, South Africa, Terrestrial
Sentech opts for Net Insight for DTT network in South Africa
Feb 18, 2015 – Net Insight has announced that its transport solution has been selected by South Africa's state-owned transmission network operator Sentech, to deliver contribution services for its national digital terrestrial TV (DTT) network.
News categories: Net Insight, Sentech, Fredrik Tumegård, Setumo Mohapi, Digital TV, Infrastructure, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Accenture enables Mediaset Premium OTT
- TWC residential video subscribers up 21,000 in 1Q 2016
- CNN launch partner for comScore combined TV and digital audience metrics
- Verizon, Telstra, kt and EE launch LTE-Broadcast Alliance
- IoT to Account for 28% of Wireless Connectivity IC Market by 2021
- Airtel Digital TV adds 619,000 subscribers in 1Q 2016
- ZTE trials AndroidTV STB at Tokushima Cable
- Global pay TV revenues to peak in 2018
- DIRECTV up 328k; U-Verse down 382k; DTVLA down 73k subscribers in 1Q 2016
- FCC consults on ATSC 3.0 physical layer deployment
- StarHub adopts NAGRA's Netflix solution for STBs
- TalkTalk introduces TalkTalk TV Store
- iWedia Teatro-3.0 STB software now available on HiSilicon SoCs
- iWedia and DMT partner for UHD IPTV/OTT hybrid STBs running Android TV
- Comigo and Keepixo team up for end-to-end OTT solution
- Vietnam's VSTV selects Irdeto for OTT service
- SoftAtHome provides software for Mobistar unbundled cable
- MPEG LA expands HEVC licence coverage
- 4K STB market to be worth $3.65 billion by 2024
- Omantel opts for ARRIS set-top boxes