South Africa Digital TV News
Motive TV signs software contract with Skyworth
Apr 17, 2014 – Motive Television has announced that it has signed a Software Development License Agreement with Skyworth who will be supplying set top boxes in support of the Siyaya DTH service in South Africa.
News categories: Motive Television, Skyworth, Leonard M Fertig, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
MultiChoice selects Clearleap to accelerate multiscreen strategy
Apr 16, 2014 – Clearleap has been selected by MultiChoice to accelerate its multiscreen strategy and provide efficient management and delivery of its television content over both IP network and traditional pay-TV networks.
News categories: Clearleap, MultiChoice, Gerdus Van Eeden, Braxton Jarratt, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, South Africa
Motive begins installations for FreeVision DTH in South Africa
Mar 27, 2014 – Motive Television has announce that it has begun the installation of its Content Express™ platform in South Africa in accordance with the contract signed in December 2013 with Siyaya Free To Air TV.
News categories: Motive Television, Sentech, FreeVision, Skyworth, Leonard M Fertig, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
STMicroelectronics powers new Set-Top Boxes from MultiChoice
Jan 7, 2014 – STMicroelectronics (NYSE:STM) has revealed that its STiH237 System-on-Chip (SoC) will be powering the latest generation of High-Definition (HD), non-PVR set-top boxes currently under development by MultiChoice, South Africa's leading pay-TV operator.
News categories: STMicroelectronics, MultiChoice, Gerdus van Eeden, Alessandro Messi, Digital TV, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, South Africa
Motive Television signs contract with South Africa's Siyaya TV
Dec 30, 2013 – Motive Television (AIM: MTV.LN) has announced that it will install, integrate, and operate Siyaya's VOD platform in conjunction with the launch of Siyaya's TV services on the Sentech Freevision DTH satellite service in South Africa.
News categories: Motive Television, Leonard M Fertig, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
South Africa to switch on digital TV by April 1, 2014
Dec 6, 2013 – South Africa's Ministry of Communications has announced that it intends to update the schedule in its Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy. The switch-on of the digital television signal will now take place by 01 April 2014.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, DVB-S2, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa's Cabinet issues statement on conditional access
Dec 5, 2013 – South Africa's Cabinet has decided that the use of a control system should not be mandatory. The STBs will, however, have a control system to protect Government’s investment in the subsidized STB market and the local electronics industry.
News categories: Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
OpenView HD FTA DTH service launches in South Africa
Oct 16, 2013 – OpenView HD, Platco Digital’s free-to-air satellite TV platform, is operational and South African viewers can take advantage of an offering that requires nothing more than a one-off payment with no monthly subscription fee.
News categories: OpenView HD, Maxwell Nonge, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Sentech announces launch of FREEVISION in South Africa
Sep 30, 2013 – SENTECH, South Africa's state-owned broadcasting signal distributor has announced that from 30 September 2013 the Company will rebrand its Vivid service as 'FREEVISION', a Universal Access Direct-To-Home Satellite (DTH-S) platform.
News categories: SENTECH, Dr Setumo Mohapi, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
- Video traffic expected to reach 65% of mobile data within 5 years
- Zenterio integrates Ekioh HTML5 browser
- Teleste headend for Arganet IPTV in Brazil
- HBO GO launches on Xbox One in U.S.
- OTT pay TV revenue to hit $10 billion in 2018
- Hong Kong Television launches OTT entertainment platform
- Siyaya awarded broadcasting licence in South Africa
- Mirada and Edgeware partner for multiscreen delivery
- UK to re-allocate 700MHz DTT spectrum to mobile broadband
- Eutelsat and Spacecom create unified DTH neighbourhood for Africa at 16-17°E
- Pay TV service adoption higher in the U.K. and Germany than in Spain
- Netflix to launch in Australia and New Zealand in March 2015
- Demand for local content will spur rapid MENA media growth
- Starz adds ENCORE PLAY and MOVIEPLEX PLAY to Xbox One
- SFR launches La Box TV Fibre in France
- MYTV signs deal with Telekom Malaysia for DTT infrastructure
- 1.5 million visitors each week to Samsung's UK Smart TV hub
- Chapters DTV wins DTH broadcasting licence in Nigeria
- IPTV will account for 24% of UK media connections by end-2018
- West Alabama TV selects Inca Networks MPEG-4 IPTV transcoder