South Africa Digital TV News
MultiChoice launches ARRIS HD PVR with HEVC for streaming
Nov 10, 2016 – MultiChoice has launched the DStv Explora 2 decoder from ARRIS (NASDAQ: ARRS) to customers in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. Its HEVC technology will reduce the bandwidth needed to stream or download shows.
News categories: ARRIS International, Naspers, Steve McCaffery, Gerdus van Eeden, Africa, Digital TV, Media Player, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa
South Africa begins analogue switch-off
Oct 25, 2016 – South Africa began the first phase of Analogue Switch-Off (ASO) on Friday, 28 October 2016 in the Northern Cape. This major national milestone forms part of the country’s Broadcasting Digital Migration (BDM) process.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Intelsat 36 begins service for Africa's MultiChoice
Oct 6, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that the Intelsat 36 satellite has entered service, providing broadcasting and direct-to-home (DTH) services for Africa’s MultiChoice, the leading DTH platform in South Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Brian Jakins, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Intelsat 36 launch adds DTH capacity for Sub-Saharan Africa
Aug 24, 2016 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced the successful launch of Intelsat 36, designed to enhance Intelsat’s media neighborhoods serving Africa and the Indian Ocean regions. The Ku-band payload was built to support South Africa's MultiChoice.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Stephen Spengler, Africa, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
Econet to launch Kwesé TV in South Africa before August this year
Mar 17, 2016 – The English Premier League has announced that it has awarded the exclusive rights to broadcast Free To Air (FTA) for the next three seasons to the Econet Wireless Group which is launching a satellite and Internet broadcasting network this year under the brand Kwesé TV.
News categories: Econet Wireless, Digital TV, Satellite, South Africa
M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
Feb 3, 2016 – M-Net has unveiled its digital terrestrial television service for South Africa, called GOtv. GOtv will use digital network towers throughout South Africa and customers will need a decoder to access the signal.
News categories: M-Net, GOtv, Yolisa Phahle, Tsabiso Letsoela, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
Dual-illumination to begin in South Africa on February 1, 2016
Dec 11, 2015 – In a statement on decisions made at its Cabinet meeting of December 9th, South Africa's government announced that it has approved the commencement of a dual-illumination period for digital broadcasting, beginning on February 1st, 2016.
News categories: Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to install first subsidised STBs on December 17th
Dec 9, 2015 – South Africa's Communications Minister will, as part of the country's Broadcasting Digital Migration project, install the first batch of government subsidised set-top boxes (STBs) in households in Keimoes in the Northern Cape on December 17th.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South African TV households to grow 10% by 2018
Dec 9, 2015 – According to Dataxis, the total number of South African TV households will grow 10% from end-2015 to end-2018 as pay-DTH continues to grow and new pay services using DTT and IPTV come on stream.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
- GroupM revises 2017 UK advertising growth forecast down to 4.1% from 7%
- PeerLogix Partners with Neustar to propel OTT audience segmentation
- KDDI chooses Sigma Design's Z-Wave for Smart Home service
- Arianespace to launch Hellas Sat 3 and GSAT-17 on June 28
- Quality of OTT video streaming experience directly tied to viewer loyalty
- Pay TV firms to continue to dominate $126bn US video/TV market
- Blue Ridge Communications prepares for OTT video with SeaChange
- EBU urges EU policy makers to set out clear privacy rules for audience measurement
- Digisoft.tv unveil Playmigo, multiscreen made simple
- UK media and entertainment sector remains robust
- Freeview Play updates UX with launch of Freeview Explore
- Evolution Digital reaches eVUE-TV agreement with GCI
- Slovenia's Teleing adds catch up and multiscreen with UniqCast
- Time Warner to develop and produce Shows for Snapchat
- Samba TV raises $30 million in growth capital
- Zenith renews TV ratings agreement with Nielsen
- Adobe announces Adobe Advertising Cloud TV
- OTT driving Taiwan multichannel video
- Net Insight and Ericsson together offer end-to-end media contribution
- Global pay TV revenues climb by $32 billion