South Africa Digital TV News
Sentech delivers DTH and DTT via Intelsat 20
Sep 25, 2015 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that Sentech has extended its contract for multiple years. Sentech will continue to use Ku-band capacity on Intelsat 20 at 68.5°E to expand its DTH and DTT services in Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, Sentech, Rhys Morgan, Leago Takalani, Africa, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa, Terrestrial
ONTAPtv OTT VOD service launches in South Africa
Sep 16, 2015 – PCCW Global has announced the launch of ONTAPtv.com, an OTT VoD entertainment service for South Africa. With a selection of à la carte content packages, the service is available either using a browser or via Android and iOS apps.
News categories: PCCW, ONTAPtv.com, Marc Halbfinger, Lindsay Servian, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, South Africa
Skyworth's South Africa factory ships first 70,000 set-top boxes
Sep 7, 2015 – Skyworth (000810.SZ) has announced that its factory in Johannesburg - co-owned by local company BUA Africa - has successfully completed its first shipment, delivering a total of 70,000 set-top boxes across South Africa.
News categories: Skyworth, Angélique Boissy, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
OTT video starting to take-off in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa
Jul 22, 2015 – OTT TV and video revenues in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EEMEA) will reach $2,635 million in 2020 - up from only $52 million recorded in 2010 and the $616 million expected in 2015, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Egypt, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Market Research, Middle-East, Nigeria, OTT, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Subscribers, Turkey, UAE, Ukraine
South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
Apr 17, 2015 – Speaking at the Southern African Digital Broadcasting Workshop, South Africa's Minister of Communications said that the country plans to implement its transition to digital broadcasting over the next 18 months.
News categories: Faith Muthambi, Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa updates Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy
Mar 19, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications (DoC) has gazetted the Amendment of the Broadcasting Digital Migration Policy issued under Government Gazette No 31408 on 8 September 2008.
News categories: Department of Communications, Content Protection, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa will not switch-off analogue TV by June 17th
Mar 8, 2015 – South Africa's Department of Communications has issued a new Broadcasting Digital Migration policy. A set-top box control system will be required only to encourage local manufacturing. The country will not meet the ITU deadline for the switch-off of analogue television.
News categories: Department of Communications, Digital TV, Regulation, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa to provide free STBs to 5 million poor households
Mar 5, 2015 – South Africa's government has said that it will provide free STBs to more than 5 million poor television household owners. The priority will be given to those households in the border region areas of the country.
News categories: Department of Communications, Conditional Access, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa plans to migrate to digital 'within 2 years'
Feb 25, 2015 – In documents released to support South Africa's annual budget speech, the Ministry of Communications has outlined its financing requirements for migration of the country to digital broadcasting within 2 years.
News categories: Ministry of Communications, Digital TV, Infrastructure, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Socionext develops ISDB-S3 demodulator with channel bonding option for cable retrans
- 50 operators control two-thirds of global pay TV subs
- Amazon releases Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote
- Verimatrix releases evaluation app for connected devices
- TV viewers would rather watch ad-supported online TV than pay for a subscription
- U.S. connected entertainment device adoption grew 11% in 2015
- Novus selects Ericsson Mediaroom for IPTV in Vancouver
- Harmonic to show industry's first software-based CCAP solution at SCTE
- Five NCTC members sign up for Evolution Digital eVUE-TV
- TiVo adds personalization and discovery to Fan TV
- izzi Telecom selects ARRIS compression for HDTV in Mexico
- Eastlink selects ARRIS for HEVC and UltraHD compression
- ATEME powers Globo 4K HDR VOD
- shomi to shut down on November 30, 2016
- Ericsson expands DVR services for VTR Chile and Liberty Puerto Rico
- GatesAir announces TV transmitter deals in Vietnam
- ARRIS Whole Home Solution becomes Espial Elevate
- U.S. pay TV penetration returns to the level of 2005
- Freeview Play spec adds HEVC and Ultra HD via broadband
- Conditional Access market to exhibit CAGR of 9.1% to 2025