South Africa Digital TV News
Pace and MultiChoice work with South Africa's Vektronix to build DStv Explora
Aug 1, 2013 – Pace (LSE: PIC), in partnership with MultiChoice, has announced that it is working with local South African manufacturer Vektronix to assemble and deliver MultiChoice's new HD PVR decoder, the DStv Explora.
News categories: Pace plc, MultiChoice, Vektronix, Digital TV, Personal Video Recorder, Set Top Box, South Africa
Platco Digital to broadcast to South Africa on SES-5 satellite
Jul 24, 2013 – SES (Paris;LuxX: SESG) has announced a 15-year contract with Platco Digital, a sister company of the South African independent broadcaster e.tv, to broadcast a new free-to-air service in South Africa, with future plans to expand across Southern Africa.
News categories: SES S.A, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Satellite, South Africa
Digisoft and Hambisana launch hybrid education/TV STB project in South Africa
Mar 15, 2013 – Digisoft.tv has announced a venture with Hambisana. Projects will centre around the delivery of television and education to under serviced areas. Connected set top boxes will be supplied with a keyboard and mouse, effectively delivering a low cost PC to be used with a consumer's own television.
News categories: Digisoft, Hambisana, Africa, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, South Africa
Digital TV penetration accelerates in Sub-Saharan Africa
Jan 8, 2013 – About 35.3% of TV homes in Sub-Saharan Africa took digital signals by end-2012, according to a report from Digital TV Research. The Digital TV Sub-Saharan Africa report forecasts that digital TV penetration will rocket to 95.5% by 2018 - with household numbers quadrupling to 49.0 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Angola, Côte d'Ivoire, Digital TV, Ghana, Kenya, Market Research, Nigeria, South Africa, Subscribers, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
Commercial DTT to launch in South Africa in December
Oct 3, 2012 – At South Africa's Proof of Concept launch of Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT), the country's Minister of Communications said that the commercial launch of DTT will take place in December this year.
News categories: Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
South Africa pay TV households to reach 5.9 million by 2016
Sep 9, 2012 – According to PricewaterhouseCoopers, pay TV households in South Africa are set to grow from 3.7 million in 2011 to 5.9 million by 2016 - with subscription television then reaching a TV household penetration rate of 81.4%.
News categories: PricewaterhouseCoopers, Digital TV, Market Research, South Africa, Subscribers
South Africa sets DTT launch date
Aug 21, 2012 – The first phase of the launch of digital terrestrial television (DTT) in South Africa is set for 26 and 27 September 2012, the Department of Communications (DoC) recently told the country's Select Committee on Labour and Public Enterprises.
News categories: Digital TV, South Africa, Terrestrial
Satellite TV boom to continue
Jul 25, 2012 – According to a report from Digital TV Research, the number of pay DTH (DBS) homes for the 80 countries covered will be 220 million by end-2017, up from 154 million at end-2011 and 91 million at end-2007. India will lead the sector with 50.9 million pay DTH homes in 2017.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Brazil, Digital TV, India, Indonesia, Italy, Market Research, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Satellite, South Africa, Subscribers, UK, USA
South Africa publishes revised Draft DTT Regulations for consultation
Jul 13, 2012 – The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa has published a revised set of Draft Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) regulations for another round of public consultation. Stakeholders have until 30 July 2012 to submit their written submissions.
News categories: ICASA, Digital TV, Regulation, South Africa, Terrestrial
- Eutelsat-Nilesat 7/8°W video audience exceeds 50 million homes
- Creonic to deliver IP cores for the new DVB-S2X standard
- MStar and Connected-Labs collaborate on Web solutions for TV and STB
- TV formats withstand European ad recession
- Vonetize starts streaming 4K video on Smart TVs
- Samsung, Vizio control U.S. Smart TV market
- Broadpeak teams with Eutelsat for satellite delivery of OTT content
- Ooyala technology for Foxtel's Presto OTT movie service
- beIN SPORTS chooses Pace HD STBs and Home Media Servers
- Entropic, MTI satellite Channel Stacking Switch deployed in the Middle East
- Quadrille push VOD integrated with Eutelsat's 'smart LNB'
- Eutelsat shows ‘smart LNB’ in action at CabSat Dubai
- Majority of televisions in U.S. housholds are now HDTVs
- ALi ATSC SoC designed-in by Funai for Mexico STB
- Altech UEC manufactures 20 millionth set-top box
- Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
- Ecuador adds 443 thousand pay TV subscribers in 2013
- Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
- Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
- DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets