Set Top Box (STB, PVR, DVR, CECB, IRD, DTA, Gateway, …) News
NAGRA secures Euskaltel 4K Android TV STB deployment in Spain
Dec 11, 2017 – NAGRA has announced that its NAGRA CONNECT content protection solution for connected networks was deployed by Spanish cable TV provider Euskaltel to secure the operator’s new Android TV-based 4K set-top boxes by Technicolor.
News categories: NAGRA, Euskaltel, Technicolor, Thierry Legrand, Leticia Sánchez Berian, Gaetan Delcroix, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Spain
Ohio's MCTV offers Netflix access via its FUSION STB
Dec 7, 2017 – MCTV, a broadband, TV and phone provider in Northeast Ohio, has announced the integration of Netflix on its FUSION Multi-Room HD-DVR platform. The integration allows customers to watch Netflix directly from their FUSION box.
News categories: MCTV, Netflix, Espial, Robert Gessner, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v9.2.1 released
Dec 7, 2017 – The HbbTV Testing Group has published a new version of the HbbTV conformance test suite. The new version, 9.2.1, is a maintenance release and does not introduce any new approved test cases. In total, 114 test cases have been repaired and re-approved.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Digital TV, HbbTV, QoE, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Amazon Prime Video app available on Apple TV
Dec 6, 2017 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has announced that the Prime Video app is available on Apple TV 4K and previous generations of Apple TV in over 100 countries. Prime Video members now have even more ways to stream movies, TV series and channels.
News categories: Amazon, Apple, Mark Eamer, Apps, Austria, Digital TV, Germany, OTT, Set Top Box, UK, USA, Worldwide
Slovakia's Markíza monetises HbbTV with Hybrid Company
Dec 5, 2017 – Interactive commercial advertising via HbbTV technology has been fully employed on the Slovakia television market by Markíza Group. For the implementation, Markíza teamed up with Hybrid Company, a specialist in HbbTV monetization.
News categories: Hybrid Company, Markíza Group, Lukáš Hnilička, Juraj Máťuš, Advertising, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Slovakia, Smart TV, UX
Montage takes Kilopass anti-fuse NVM OTP IP for secure key storage in STB ICs
Dec 5, 2017 – Kilopass Technology has announced that its OTP NVM is designed into Montage Technology’s next generation set-top box chips. Kilopass’ Anti-Fuse NVM OTP IP provides hack-resistance storage for HDMI and conditional access security keys.
News categories: Kilopass Technology, Montage Technology, Linh Hong, Gene Liu, Content Protection, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Silicon IP, Worldwide
User experience becomes key focus for smart TVs and streaming media players
Dec 5, 2017 – A new Market Snapshot from Parks Associates finds that makers of smart TVs and streaming media players are shifting strategies to focus on the user experience (UX) as device sales start to flatten out.
News categories: Parks Associates, Jennifer Kent, Dina Abdelrazik, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
US military launch MPEG-4 HD STBs with Inview middleware
Dec 4, 2017 – Inview and DigitalGlue have announced the launch of DigitalGlue’s MPEG-4 HD set-top boxes used by the American Forces Network (AFN). Inview’s middleware, integrated on all of the DVB-S2 STBs, provides the user interface for the twin tuner PVR.
News categories: Inview, DigitalGlue, Diego Martinez, Ray Rodriguez, Digital TV, DVB-S2, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
Orange makes OCast casting software open source
Dec 1, 2017 – Orange is to make OCast software available as Open Source. OCast is a technology that allows a smartphone to be used to play videos on devices including TV set-top boxes, TV Sticks or TVs and control playback of the video.
News categories: Orange, Viaccess-Orca, Deutsche Telekom, Thierry Souche, Paul Molinier, Randolph Nikutta, Digital TV, Middleware, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
- SoftAtHome Smart Wi-Fi powers Swisscom WLAN-Box
- DVB-T2 households forecasted to reach 72% by 2022 in Europe
- NAGRA secures Euskaltel 4K Android TV STB deployment in Spain
- Irdeto security selected for Mexico's StarTV
- Clear Creek Communications adopts Espial Elevate SaaS cloud platform
- Merger between Vodafone Malta and Melita called off
- R2B2 adds three Slovak TV stations to its programmatic ad network
- Silicon Labs to acquire Sigma Designs
- Connekt brings interactivity and T-Commerce to Hisense Smart TVs
- Ohio's MCTV offers Netflix access via its FUSION STB
- U.S. online video consumers have not yet taken to live TV streaming
- Nielsen launches performance testing tool for mobile video
- MobiTV partners with the National Cable Television Cooperative
- Media Rating Council issues Digital Audience-Based Measurement Standards
- PlayStation VR install base reaches 2 million units worldwide
- HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v9.2.1 released
- Liberty Global selects SeaChange multiscreen video solution
- From algorithms to AI, Kantar Millward Brown forecasts digital advertising in 2018
- Amazon Prime Video app available on Apple TV
- Turner signs up for Nielsen SVOD content ratings service