Set Top Box (STB, PVR, DVR, CECB, IRD, DTA, Gateway, …) News
HbbTV Association releases free-to-use DASH DRM Reference Application
Jul 13, 2018 – The HbbTV Association has announced the release of its DASH DRM Reference Application. The DASH DRM Reference Application provides a model that makes it easier to deploy services that require HbbTV together with DRM and DASH.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Apps, Digital TV, DRM, Europe, HbbTV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Technavio expects STB market CAGR of around 4% for 2018-2022
Jul 12, 2018 – The global set-top-box market is expected to post a CAGR of close to 4% during the period 2018-2022, according to Technavio. A key factor driving the growth of the market is the digitalization of cable networks.
News categories: Technavio, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
StarTimes & SMIT to launch CI Plus 1.3 CAMs for Africa
Jul 10, 2018 – StarTimes, together with SMIT, will launch CI Plus 1.3 Conditional Access Modules (CAMs) with the operator's profile for its African markets. Chipset pairing in the CAMs enhances performance, security, and reliability.
News categories: StarTimes, SMIT, Daniel Ge, Bingyu Xiang, Africa, CAM, Set Top Box, Smart TV
DISH delivers Hands-Free TV with the Google Assistant
Jul 9, 2018 – DISH has debuted its new integration with the Google Assistant for a Hands-Free TV entertainment experience. DISH customers with a Hopper, Hopper Duo, Joey or Wally can control their TV using just their voice when paired with an Assistant device, like Google Home, Android phones or iPhones.
News categories: DISH Network, Google Assistant, Niraj Desai, Michele Turner, Big Data, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA, UX
Skardin and ALi grow NAGRA NOCS3-certified STB shipments in South America
Jul 6, 2018 – ALi Corporation and Skardin have announced that they reached record-high shipments of NAGRA NOCS–certified secure STBs to South American operators in 2018. The milestone symbolizes the joint effort and commitment to meeting today's Pay TV security standard as well as the strong dedication in this regional market.
News categories: ALi Corp, Willis Chang, Alessandro Bassi, Content Protection, Digital TV, Latin America, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
DTG releases D-Book 10 Conformance Test Suites
Jun 29, 2018 – D-Book 10 conformance Test Suites are now available. The first addition to the Test Suites is Linear Services tests for testing HEVC at HD and UHD resolution. A second addition is Option 12 signalling included in the UK SI DVB-T2 test suite.
News categories: DTG Testing, Ian Medland, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
Roku introduces Audience Marketplace for OTT ad sellers and buyers
Jun 27, 2018 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has introduced Audience Marketplace, a new way advertising buyers and sellers can more effectively target audiences on the Roku platform in the U.S. Audience Marketplace uses Roku’s first-party data and proprietary ad technology.
News categories: Roku, Seth Walters, Larry Allen, Garrett Winkler, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Transvision selects Irdeto security for DTH Android TV offering
Jun 27, 2018 – Indonesia's Transvision has selected Irdeto to securely deliver DTH content via its Android TV platform. Irdeto Armor for Android TV helps Transvision formulate and execute the right strategy to protect its ecosystem while ensuring the best customer experience.
News categories: Irdeto, Transvision, Jay Ganesan, Hengkie Liwanto, ConnecTechAsia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Indonesia, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box
ALi and iWedia announce joint hybrid DVB+OTT STB offering
Jun 26, 2018 – ALi Corporation and iWedia have announced that they have joined forces to provide a common offering for hybrid DVB+OTT STBs. The solution integrates iWedia's Teatro-3.0 software for Linux hybrid STBs with ALi's M3527 and M3727 chipsets.
News categories: iWedia, ALi Corp, Sunghoon Kim, Willis Chang, ConnecTechAsia, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
- Casbaa releases updated pay TV and OTT Regulatory Review for Asia
- Minerva launches turnkey cloud video service for cable and telco operators
- AlphaNetworks creates global A.I. powered media platform
- Oversupply of large TFT LCD panels to prompt restructuring of older fabs
- Aiming to be local everywhere, Amazon and Netflix ramp up content production
- Innovid adds VAST inventory support across major vendors
- SimpleReach launches all-in-one digital video measurement platform
- UK: TV streaming services overtake pay TV for first time
- Tremor Video DSP and Dstillery deliver joint audience targeting solution
- Smart TV share jumps to 70% of TV shipments in 2018
- TDS Telecom Selects TiVo’s Next-Gen Platform
- Verizon Digital Media Services provides content delivery for Grupo Clarín
- 52.5 million pay TV subs for European former USSR countries in 1Q 2018
- Anevia joins Red Hat technology partner program
- Telia acquires TDC’s Norwegian business
- Pay TV subscribers in Latin America reached 71.4 million in Q1 2018
- Telkom Indonesia launches OONA mobile TV app with Brightcove
- Smartphone displays set to move rapidly to 18:9
- iflix subscriber numbers up 250% in 1H 2018
- Online video viewing to exceed an hour a day in 2018