Set Top Box (STB, PVR, DVR, CECB, IRD, DTA, Gateway, …) News
Espial signs DevOps agreement with NOS
Aug 17, 2017 – Espial has announced that it has signed an agreement with NOS to provide agile and DevOps engineering and delivery services. The engagement allows NOS to take a continuous innovation approach and more effectively monetize their video services.
News categories: Espial, NOS, Jaison Dolvane, Pedro Bandeira, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, UX
EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
Aug 17, 2017 – EE TV has become one of the first set top boxes world-wide to offer a skill for Amazon Alexa. EE TV will support Alexa voice control through Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, meaning customers can just ask for information on what's on, or to record their favourite shows.
News categories: EE, Amazon, Max Taylor, Fabrice Rousseau, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK, UX
Accedo and Channel 4 extend All 4 to Now TV
Aug 15, 2017 – Accedo has worked with British broadcaster, Channel 4, to extend its redesigned All 4 video on demand service to additional platforms including Now TV on Roku. Accedo and Channel 4 are building on a long history of collaboration.
News categories: Accedo, Channel 4, Adam Nightingale, Keith Underwood, Apps, Digital TV, IBCShow, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Zenterio powers MAXtv IPTV STB at Hrvatski Telekom in Croatia
Aug 15, 2017 – Zenterio has announced that Hrvatski Telekom (HT), the Deutsche Telekom majority-owned operator based in Croatia, has launched Zenterio OS software on subscribers' set-top boxes (STBs) to power its IPTV offering MAXtv.
News categories: Zenterio, Hrvatski Telekom, Jörgen Nilsson, Goran Car, Croatia, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
Global set-top box market to top $46bn by 2027
Aug 14, 2017 – The set-top box market is anticipated to witness robust growth during 2017-2027. According to Future Market Insights, the APEJ set-top box market is expected to have the highest growth rate over the period.
News categories: Future Market Insights, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
India consults on set-top box interoperability
Aug 11, 2017 – The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has released a consultation note on a technical solution architecture for an interoperable Set Top Box (STB) for digital TV broadcasting services.
News categories: Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, Shri Sunil Kumar Singhal, Content Protection, Digital TV, India, Middleware, Regulation, Set Top Box
Freecast unveils hybrid-DTT Android box for the US
Aug 10, 2017 – FreeCast has unveiled its set-top box, which the company envisions as a low-cost replacement not just for the cable box, but expensive cable and satellite TV service. Dubbed OneBox, the Android-based device will boast hardware specs comparable to those of a modern quad-core PC.
News categories: FreeCast, William Mobley, Apps, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, USA
DVB approves new subtitling specification
Aug 7, 2017 – The DVB Steering Board has approved a specification for DVB TTML subtitling systems. The specification enables the delivery of next generation subtitles in transport streams for broadcast TV services, based on W3C Timed Text Markup Language (TTML).
News categories: DVB Project, Kevin Murray, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UX, Worldwide
Expansion of OTT and TVE services driving content protection market growth
Aug 4, 2017 – Frost & Sullivan's recent analysis finds that content protection market revenues will grow from nearly $1.7 billion in 2016 to just shy of $2 billion by 2021, at a compound annual rate (CAGR) of 3.4 percent.
News categories: Frost & Sullivan, Mukul Krishna, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere, Worldwide
- Verimatrix offers cloud-hosted revenue security option
- Alpha Networks to launch CMS/CRM as a service at IBC 2017
- Roku increases streaming media player market share in the US
- BuyDRM announces Encryption in The Cloud as a Service
- Harmonic powers new broadcast center for SKY Brasil
- Tru Optik and Neustar expand audience targeting options for OTT
- Com Hem and TMPL cooperate on smart home services
- SmarDTV embeds Conax Cardless Client in a CAM
- Latin America OTT TV and video thrives despite free services
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 656,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- Dish TV India adds 186,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- RTÉ plans next generation RTÉ Player with Fincons Group
- AWS Elemental video processing selected by NOWO for OTT
- Espial signs DevOps agreement with NOS
- Turner to launch U.S. sports streaming platform with UEFA matches
- EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
- U.S. mMVPD subscribers largely pleased with service value
- ABC Network subscribes to Nielsen National Out-of-Home Measurement
- U.S. pay TV subscriber losses almost one million in 2Q 2017
- PeerLogix partners with ad services provider and releases OTT viewing data