UK (United Kingdom, Great Britain & Northern Ireland) Digital TV News
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
Games video viewers offer rich niche to SVOD Providers
Nov 28, 2018 – Juniper’s Digital TV & Video Streaming Survey has found that users who viewed games videos were more likely to subscribe to a greater number of SVOD services than the average user.
News categories: Juniper, China, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK, USA
Global SVOD revenues climb to $35 billion
Nov 12, 2018 – Global SVOD revenues will reach $35.04 billion in 2018. That’s $10 billion more than the 2017 total and more than triple the 2015 total. Digital TV Research expects 474 million SVOD subscriptions globally by end-2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, China, Digital TV, Germany, Japan, Market Research, OTT, UK, USA, Worldwide
DTG defines latest UK TV industry requirements with D-Book 11
Oct 31, 2018 – The DTG has published the latest version of the D-Book, its technical standard for TV and DTT in the UK. The D-Book is updated annually with the collaboration of industry, underpinning Freeview, YouView, Freesat, EE TV, BT TV and TalkTalk TV.
News categories: DTG, Freeview, Richard Lindsay-Davies, Guy North, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
XMOS helps Skyworth create a voice-enabled, always-on AI TV
Oct 29, 2018 – Skyworth has joined forces with XMOS to develop the AI voice chip and remove the requirement for a TV remote control. The AI TV voice chip, based on an XMOS voice processor, delivers sound-source identification from up to 5 meters.
News categories: XMOS, Skyworth, Yu Jianwei, China, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Smart TV, UK
V-Nova secures investment from Novator Partners
Oct 18, 2018 – V-Nova has announced that it has secured a multi-million pound investment to drive further growth across the business. The firm will expand its R&D teams and its commercial functions to accelerate its market penetration.
News categories: V-Nova, Novator Partners, Guido Meardi, Thor Björgólfsson, Content Distribution, Digital TV, UK, Venture Capital, Worldwide
Amazon introduces Fire TV Stick 4K and new Alexa Voice Remote
Oct 3, 2018 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has announced the Fire TV Stick 4K, the most powerful streaming media stick available, plus a new Alexa Voice Remote. The Alexa Voice Remote is also available with the recently launched Fire TV Cube.
News categories: Amazon, Marc Whitten, John Couling, Canada, Digital TV, Germany, India, Japan, OTT, Set Top Box, UK, USA
Amazon Prime, HBO and Now TV face decreasing audiences
Oct 1, 2018 – A consumer survey from Juniper Research has found that increased churn rates are being faced by video streaming services such as Amazon Prime and HBO Now in key markets such as the UK and the US. Contrastingly, Netflix outperformed its rivals.
News categories: Juniper Research, Lauren Foye, China, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK, USA
Sky partners with Common Sense Media for content rating
Oct 1, 2018 – Sky is partnering with Common Sense Media to introduce a detailed rating system that will help parents make smarter choices about what their children watch on Sky. The new service will launch in the UK in 2019.
News categories: Sky, Common Sense Media, Jeremy Darroch, James P Steyner, Big Data, Digital TV, Satellite, UK, UX
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com