UK (United Kingdom, Great Britain & Northern Ireland) Digital TV News
Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
May 15, 2019 – Gracenote (NYSE: NLSN) and nScreenMedia have announced findings from a survey focusing on pay TV, free-to-air and online TV viewership in major European countries. The report reveals that TV viewing has become a complicated undertaking for European audiences.
News categories: Gracenote, nScreenMedia, Simon Adams, Colin Dixon, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, Sweden, UK
Vodafone 5G goes live in the UK in July
May 14, 2019 – Vodafone will switch on its 5G network for both consumers and business customers in seven cities across the UK on 3 July 2019. In a worldwide first, Vodafone will also offer 5G roaming in the UK, Germany, Italy and Spain over the summer.
News categories: Vodafone, Nick Jeffery, 5G, Mobile, UK
Liberty Global organic video subscriber losses at 60,500 for 1Q 2019
May 6, 2019 – Liberty Global (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) has announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2019. The company's Vodafone and Sunrise transactions remain on track to close during the summer of 2019 and Q4 2019, respectively.
News categories: Liberty Global, Mike Fries, Belgium, Cable TV, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Poland, Results, Romania, Satellite, Set Top Box, Slovakia, Subscribers, Switzerland, UK
Sky adopts NBCUniversal's CFlight for ad measurement
May 1, 2019 – Sky and NBCUniversal have announced the global expansion of CFlight, with Sky adopting the metric across all of Sky Media’s content and platforms. CFlight captures live, on-demand and time-shifted commercial impressions on every viewing platform.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Sky, Kavita Vazirani, John Litster, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Europe, UK
Share of UK broadband households planning to cancel pay-TV has doubled
May 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that the percentage of UK broadband households stating that they are likely to cancel their pay-TV service has increased to 24% in late 2018 from 12% in late 2015. The intent to cancel is higher among households that watch online video services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
TalkTalk TV STBs gain access to Amazon Prime
Apr 24, 2019 – TalkTalk TV has announced that customers can now stream Prime Video via the TalkTalk TV set top box. TalkTalk TV’s launch with Amazon is the latest step in its commitment to providing customers with a seamless viewing experience.
News categories: TalkTalk, Prime Video, Will Ennett, Jay Marine, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Liberty Global announces Prime Video partnership with Amazon
Apr 23, 2019 – Liberty Global has announced a deal to make the Amazon Prime Video content and viewing experience available to Virgin Media TV customers in the UK. Virgin Media will be the first of Liberty Global's European operations to integrate the app.
News categories: Liberty Global, Prime Video, Virgin Media, Enrique Rodriguez, Jay Marine, Lutz Schüler, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
Disney+ to rocket to 75 million subscribers
Apr 12, 2019 – Disney has outlined its plans for its Disney+ SVOD platform. The company expects to reach 60-90 million Disney+ subscribers by 2024, with the US contributing a third. Digital TV Research forecasts 75 million subscribers by 2024 – right in the middle of Disney’s estimates.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Mexico, OTT, Subscribers, UK, USA
ITV to launch addressable advertising platform with Amobee
Apr 4, 2019 – ITV has announced that it has signed a UK and Ireland licensing agreement with Amobee for programmatic buying and selling of video inventory on the ITV Hub. This will enable ITV to launch a fully programmatic, advanced advertising platform.
News categories: ITV, Amobee, Carolyn McCall, Kelly Williams, Kim Perell, Chris Williams, Adam Pace, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Ireland, OTT, UK
- Sony and Microsoft to collaborate on cloud for D2C entertainment and AI
- Insys Video automates celebrity identification and inappropriate content detection
- HbbTV Association adds seven new members
- Beximco launches AKASH DTH in Bangladesh
- b<>com and Viaccess-Orca partner to detect video piracy
- IDC expects worldwide semiconductor revenue to drop 7.2% in 2019
- IABM report shows squeezed margins but continuing optimism
- WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
- 3SS and Media Distillery team up for ultra-personalized AI-powered TV
- Redbox selects You.i TV to develop React Native app on Roku
- MainStreaming secures $6 million funding
- Survey reveals increasing use of multiple TV sources by viewers in Europe
- SK Telecom to offer world's first live TV sports broadcast over 5G
- Four media measurement bodies form global alliance
- Philo brings streaming TV to WOW! broadband customers
- FreeWheel announces programmatic OTT offering for local TV buyers
- Cyfrowy Polsat contract pay TV subscribers down 22,000 in 1Q 2019
- Digital Alert Systems and Kaltura bring EAS Alerts to Cloud TV services
- Telestream and NPAW integrate video monitoring and analytics platforms
- Cross channel ad management and tracking help drive video ad tech market