15.17 million DTH subscribers in India at end-JuneThursday, October 1st, 2009
“Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report” for the Quarter ending June 2009
The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) today released the “Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report” for the Quarter ending June 2009. This Report provides a broad perspective of the Telecom Services and presents the key parameters and growth trends for the Telecom Services in India for the period covering April-June 2009, and is compiled on the basis of information furnished by the Service Providers.
Highlights of the Report – Cable TV, DTH & Radio Broadcast services
- Total Number of channels registered with Ministry of I&B is 447. There are 136 pay channels as reported by 24 broadcasters/their distributors at the Quarter ending Jun-09.
- Maximum number of TV channels being carried by any of the reported MSOs is 262 whereas in conventional analogue form, the maximum number of channels being carried by the reported MSOs is 100 channels.
- The number of private FM Radio stations in operation increased from 245 in March-09 to 248 in June-09.
- Besides the free DTH service of Doordarshan, there are 6 private DTH licensees. 5 DTH licensees are offering pay DTH services to the customers as on 30.06.2009 and their reported subscriber base is 15.17 million.
- Number of Set Top Boxes (STBs) installed in CAS notified areas of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai increased from 770,053 in Mar-09 to 816,192 in June-09.