Broadcom Powers HD Set-Top Boxes for Topway Cable Subscribers in ShenzhenMonday, March 22nd, 2010
Addressing the Growing Demand for HD Cable TV Services in China, New Generation of STBs Deliver Interactive and Advanced Services including HD DVR and Video-on-Demand
BEIJING — CCBN 2010 — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced a partnership with Coship (Shenzhen:002052), a leading Chinese set-top box (STB) manufacturer, to deliver high definition (HD) set-top boxes to Topway, a leading cable service provider in Shenzhen. Coship selected the highly integrated, multi-format Broadcom® BCM7403 HD set-top box system-on-a-chip (SoC) solution that supports interactive and advanced functionality including HD video-on-demand (VoD) and digital video recorder (DVR) capabilities that enable Topway to offer value-added services to its subscribers.
Broadcom will be demonstrating this industry-leading technology at this week’s China Content Broadcasting Network (CCBN) Conference in its booth #3501.
Highlights/ Key Facts:
- Topway is a leading cable operator in providing HD and interactive services, reaching 126,000 interactive household users at the end of 2009; an increase of 143 percent from 2008, according to BDA market research. Coship was the largest manufacturer of HD STBs in 2009, accounting for approximately 21 percent of the market share estimated by BDA.
- Broadcom’s field proven HD set-top box technology enables manufacturers to build next generation HD cable, satellite and IPTV set-top boxes that deliver best-in-class video quality, support multi formats, and include a complete software platform for customizable solutions.
- With advanced and interactive functionality, Broadcom’s technology enables service providers to offer HD VoD and DVR services for additional revenue streams and an enhanced TV entertainment experience for subscribers.
- The Broadcom BCM7403 HD STB SoC solution is tailored to meet the unique needs of the Chinese market and features the following:
- Integrates HD AVC (H.264, MPEG-4), MPEG-2, DivX®, and VC-1 digital video decoders that enable manufacturers to cost effectively develop extremely high performance STBs that integrate the most advanced hardware features and functionality to securely decode, store and share multiple types of HDTV, VoD, Internet and digital music content.
- Provides advanced DVR capabilities and advanced playback of digital content from non-traditional sources, such as the Web or PC, directly to the television.
- Combines a data transport processor, HD video decoder technology, an advanced audio decoder, 2D graphics processing, high quality video scaling and motion adaptive de-interlacing, six video DACs, stereo high-fidelity, audio DACs, a 450 DMIPS host CPU, advanced security, dual USB 2.0 ports and HDMI 1.3a.
- Has strong local design engineering support from engineering teams located in Beijing, Shenzhen and Shanghai.
- The BCM7403 is currently available in mass production to set-top box manufacturers.