Worldwide 4Q10 Set Top Box Market Revenues Approach $6 BillionTuesday, April 19th, 2011
Despite unit shipments remaining relatively flat over the last year, worldwide set top box revenues were actually up in 4Q10 over 4Q09. Total revenues for the quarter were $5.7 billion as compared to $5.2 billion in 4Q09, according to In-Stat.
“Even though overall growth in the market was not dramatic there were certainly regional nuances that are worth noting,” says Norm Bogen, VP Digital Entertainment. “For instance, there was a significant migration from standard definition to high definition in the larger and more advanced markets like North America and Asia/Pacific. While in the developing regions like the Middle East/Africa and Latin America, there has been a surge in standard definition with high definition just beginning to make an appearance.”
Recent research findings include:
- In North America, satellite set top box unit shipments approached 18 million in 2010.
- European cable set top box revenues are forecast to be $212 million in 1Q11.
- Worldwide IPTV set top box unit shipments increased by 3.7 million in 2010.
- During 2010, in Latin America, 8 million more SD set top box units were shipped than HD boxes.
Top 4Q10 IPTV STB Vendors Rankings (Shipments):
1. Cisco Systems 2. Motorola 3. Samsung 4. Netgem
Recent In-Stat research, 4Q10 Set Top Box Database Update (#IN1104986STBD), covers the worldwide market for set top boxes. This research tracks:
- Set top box (STB) unit shipments, revenues, and average selling prices (ASPs) on a quarterly basis.
- Operator segmentation for cable, satellite, telco IPTV, and digital terrestrial TV.
- Regional segmentation for North America, Europe, Middle East/Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
- Functional segmentation for high-definition (HD), standard definition (SD), and digital video recording (DVR).
For a free sample of the reports and more information, please contact Elaine Potter at: [email protected] or (480) 483-4441.