Broadcom Launches Over-the-Top Media Player ICs at CESWednesday, January 4th, 2012
Transforms 2 Billion Existing TVs* into Smart TVs, Enabling Internet and Apps Everywhere in the Home
- Transforms installed base of almost 2 billion non-connected digital TVs worldwide* into Internet-connected Smart TVs.
- Fuels Internet and Apps everywhere with key home networking integration including Wi-Fi, MoCA, HomePlug and Ethernet.
- Opens way to multi-screen entertainment experiences with integrated DLNA, Wi-Fi Display and NFC for quick, convenient content sharing from mobile devices and tablets.
- Delivers hybrid TV and OTT streaming services.
LAS VEGAS — 2012 International CES — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a full range of platform solutions for Hybrid TV and Over-the-Top (OTT) Media Players capable of transforming existing digital TVs into smart TVs.
Broadcom’s high-end design in its OTT Media Player SoC portfolio features a high performance CPU, advanced software integration, and dual HD decoding and dual transcoding to deliver new services including video conferencing and video support for tablets and smart phones.
- Broadcom’s BCM72xx SoC portfolio features a turnkey software platform capable of supporting a wide range of traditional linear TV, such as terrestrial, satellite, and cable sources, with streaming content delivered over the Internet.
- Key designs include:
- BCM7219 supports basic hybrid TV and OTT services.
- BCM7220 adds OpenGL ES 2.0 support for a rich, on-screen 3D graphical user interface and guide.
- BCM7221 adds 3D TV MVC support with a more powerful application CPU to enable additional services such as video conferencing.
- BCM7425 features dual HD decoding and dual transcoding support for streaming simultaneous video broadcast content to multiple devices.
- Broadcom’s multi-application, multi-process, and multi-framework software architecture supports the large and growing number of connected applications. The architecture provides a flexible platform that easily allows for customization while managing multiple applications to ensure optimum use of available hardware resources. The frameworks supported include:
- Web 2.0 Broadcom Web Application Framework
- Adobe™ AIR for the Digital Home
David Henry, VP of Product Management, NETGEAR® Inc.
“As an existing OTT partner with Broadcom, we are excited to see Broadcom’s OTT product family continue to deliver the flexibility needed to address the expanding world of Internet entertainment on the TV. We look forward to our continued partnership with Broadcom to design cutting-edge products like our NeoTV Streaming Player (NTV200) that transform existing TVs into Smart TVs.”
Keith Nissen, Research Director, In-Stat
“OTT video is continuing to grow, overcoming the barriers of low device connect rates and cumbersome user interfaces. Even stronger growth of Internet Video-on-Demand (iVOD) and Electronic Sell-Through (EST) video services is possible if device manufacturers and digital retailers can put together a simpler, plug-n-play solution for getting online video to the TV (web-to-TV).”
Dan Marotta, EVP & GM, Broadband Communications Group, Broadcom
“As a leader in powering innovative TV experiences in the home, Broadcom is expanding the options for entertainment in the home. Broadcom is revolutionizing television by providing a full range of platform solutions for content sharing and video streaming throughout the home.”