Broadcom Announces Industry's First NAGRA NOCS 3 CertificationMonday, March 19th, 2012
Next Generation NAGRA-On-Chip Security (NOCS 3) Now Supported on Broadcom’s Connected Home Platforms
- Supports the very latest in security and content protection from NAGRA, a leading provider of content protection and multiscreen television solutions
- Enables the secure delivery of premium content and services to multiple TVs and devices in the home
- Reduces set-top box power consumption, helping service providers achieve their environmental obligations
LONDON — IPTV World Forum — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced NAGRA NOCS 3 certification on its latest family of leading 40nm set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions. Broadcom’s BCM7231 HD IP STB SoC is the first platform in a series of cable, satellite and IP STB SoC solutions to be certified with NAGRA NOCS 3. With NAGRA NOCS 3 support, Broadcom’s platforms offer service providers a multi Conditional Access (CA)/ Digital Rights Management (DRM) environment that enables the delivery of secure premium content and services to multiple screens in the home.
- Broadcom’s 40nm high performance and energy-efficient STB SoC solutions, now certified with NAGRA NOCS 3 support, also feature advanced whole-home connectivity that includes DLNA®, MoCA® and Ethernet, coupled with full HD 3DTV and scalable video codec (SVC) capabilities, and an OpenGL® ES 2.0 graphics processing unit for advanced 3D user interface and games.
- Broadcom’s high performance BCM7231 HD STB SoC delivers advanced IP and broadcast digital entertainment services for both client-server and standalone deployments. This allows operators to cost effectively expand advanced interactive digital and IPTV services including the Android ecosystem, browser-based applications or SVC-delivered 1080p full HDTV quality broadcasting.
- With features similar to the BCM7231 but at a lower price point, the BCM7230 and BCM7229 HD STB SoC platforms enable smaller form factors and lower power consumption while also supporting 3DTV with MVC, OpenGL ES 2.0 and mainstream 1080p full HD quality video.
- NAGRA, a Kudelski Group (SIX:KUD.S) company and the world’s leading independent provider of content protection and multiscreen television solutions, developed NOCS 3 to protect service providers’ investment in consumer devices.
- NOCS is used both by NAGRA’s conditional access system (NAGRA Media Access) and NAGRA’s digital right managements system (NAGRA DRM) to provide an underlying “hardware root-of-trust” that underpins the security of these solutions.
- NOCS 3 is the latest generation of NAGRA’s on-chip security products.
- NOCS 3 moves some security constraints from the device to the chipset, reducing the cost and complexity of developing secure set-top boxes.
- NOCS 3 includes features that enable a fast and secure resume-from-standby, limiting power consumption and meeting new environmental standards.
- NOCS 3 supports a true multi CA/DRM environment, enabling service providers to deploy additional third party DRMs and CAs alongside NAGRA’s own solutions.
- Combined with NAGRA products, NOCS brings the full breadth of security “into the device, on the device and out of the device.”