Inspur selects Broadcom SoC for Shandong CableFriday, March 21st, 2014
Broadcom High Definition SoC Enables On-Demand Cable Television Throughout China
- Inspur Group’s Broadcom-powered Set-top Box Delivers Cost-optimized Cable Services to Millions of Viewers
BEIJING — China Content Broadcasting Network — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that Inspur Group, Shandong Cable Network’s primary systems integrator, has selected Broadcom’s award-winning(2) high definition (HD) set-top box system-on-chip (SoC) to enable deployment of cable services to millions of China cable subscribers(1). Inpsur’s set-top boxes will be powered by Broadcom’s BCM7583 HD SoC, which combines cost-effective design and high-performance capabilities, allowing the world’s leading operators to enhance services while reducing overall cost. Broadcom will showcase its latest innovations at CCBN in Beijing, March 20-22.
Inspur’s set-top box design marks the first deployment of the BCM7583 SoC with a major operator in China as demand for pay TV services in the region continue to rise. Analysts expect the Asia Pacific region to add 420 million new pay TV households by 2018, more than triple the number of households in the United States(3). China’s largest telecom operators and broadcast/cable providers are actively deploying products and technologies to deliver these services in key markets nationwide. Broadcom’s integrated STB solutions provide entry-level HD and OTT platforms with features that facilitate streaming HD video to multiple devices simultaneously.
“The opportunities for cable TV operators in China are enormous as consumer demand for anywhere, anytime TV continues to rise,” said Cui Wei, Inspur Group Vice President and General Manager, Digital Media Business Unit. “Broadcom’s highly-integrated STB solutions provide the perfect combination of powerful functionality, higher performance and lower costs allowing cable providers to extend a variety of value-added services and increase their overall subscriber base.”
“By integrating Full-Band Capture, a high-performance CPU and 3D graphics into a single chip, our HD STB solutions are enabling operators throughout the world to deliver cost effective, advanced content delivery to a growing number of subscribers,” said Dan Marotta, Broadcom Executive Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Communications Group. “Leading integrators such as Inspur can quickly build and deploy high-performance, cost-effective platforms that combine the very latest technology and features.”
Key Features of Broadcom’s BCM7583 HD STB SoC
- Enables cable operators to offer both broadband Internet access and video on demand services with spectrum management efficiency
- Meets China SARFT DCAS and advanced conditional access network content protection requirements
- Integrated advanced 3D graphics GPU for rich HTML5 applications and over the top (OTT) services
- Powerful CPU and high speed DDR3 memory access to enhance TV user interface while maintaining a small design footprint
- 802.11ac and 802.11n Wi-Fi interface supporting industry leading Wi-Fi video and high-speed data services
- Integrated Full-Band Capture provides advanced remote diagnostics to significantly reduce operator support costs
- Interface to DOCSIS 2.0 and C-DOCSIS support for cost-effective, modular two-way system compatibility
Inspur Group’s high definition set-top box is now available to China subscribers. Broadcom’s BCM7583 is now in production.
1. Infonetics Pay-TV Database
2. EDN 2013 China Innovation Award
3. Digital TV Research 2013