MPEG LA expands HEVC license coverageThursday, March 19th, 2015
Additional HEVC Standard Profiles Now Included
DENVER — MPEG LA, LLC has announced that the coverage of its HEVC Patent Portfolio License has been updated to conform with recent revisions to the HEVC standard as defined in Recommendation ITU-T H.265 v2 (10/2014). As a result of the update, the profiles covered by the HEVC Patent Portfolio License now include
- Main profile
- Main 10 profile
- Main Still Picture profile
- Multiview profile: Multiview Main
- Scalable profiles: Scalable Main and Scalable Main 10
- Format range extensions profiles: Monochrome, Monochrome 12, Monochrome 16, Main 12, Main 4:2:2 10, Main 4:2:2 12, Main 4:4:4, Main 4:4:4 10, Main 4:4:4 12, Main Intra, Main 10 Intra, Main 12 Intra, Main 4:2:2 10 Intra, Main 4:2:2 12 Intra, Main 4:4:4 Intra, Main 4:4:4 10 Intra, Main 4:4:4 12 Intra, Main 4:4:4 16 Intra, Main 4:4:4 Still Picture and Main 4:4:4 16 Still Picture
- Format range extensions high throughput profile: High Throughput 4:4:4 16 Intra
The current royalty rates that apply to products which use one or more HEVC profiles remain unchanged.
The HEVC Patent Portfolio License, introduced on September 29, 2014, is offered for the convenience of HEVC users enabling them to obtain coverage under essential patents owned by multiple patent holders in a single license as an alternative to negotiating separate licenses. MPEG LA’s objective is to provide worldwide access to as much HEVC essential intellectual property as possible for the benefit of licensees. Any party that believes it has a patent which is essential to the HEVC standard as defined in Recommendation ITU-T H.265 v2 (10/2014) and would like to participate in the HEVC Patent Portfolio License is welcome to submit its patent(s) for an evaluation of essentiality by MPEG LA’s patent experts and inclusion in the License if determined to be essential. Interested parties may request a copy of the terms and procedures governing patent submissions.
Current patent holders to MPEG LA’s HEVC Patent Portfolio License include Apple Inc.; Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute; Fujitsu Limited; Hitachi Maxell, Ltd.; HUMAX Holdings Co., Ltd.; IBEX PT Holdings; Industry – Academy Cooperation Foundation of Sejong University; Intellectual Discovery Co., LTD.; JVC KENWOOD Corporation; Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology; Korean Broadcasting System; KT Corp.; Kwangwoon University Industry – Academic Collaboration Foundation; M&K Holdings Inc.; NEC Corporation; NEWRACOM, Inc.; Nippon Hoso Kyokai; Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corporation; NTT DOCOMO, INC.; Orange SA; Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.; Siemens Corp.; SK Telecom; Tagivan II, LLC; The Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York; University – Industry Cooperation Group of Kyung Hee University; and Vidyo, Inc.