Broadcom delivers DOCSIS 3.0 cable set-top box platform for ChinaWednesday, March 25th, 2015
Cost-Effective, Small Form-factor Design Adds Advanced C-DOCSIS Technology for Home Networking
BEIJING — CCBN 2015 — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new cost efficient, small form-factor DOCSIS® 3.0 set-top box (STB) engineered for the growing cable market in China. The new offering is designed to deliver more advanced features to cable subscribers in the region, including over-the-top (OTT) video content, broadband data services, and both wired and/wireless home networks.
Broadcom’s new cable STB design includes DOCSIS 3.0 capabilities, AVS+ decoding support for high definition (HD) content and is TVOS-compatible. These new features support increasing bandwidth transmission requirements for new subscriber applications and cable services on China’s C-DOCSIS network, and provide operators with easy-to-install equipment for home subscribers. Broadcom will demonstrate its DOCSIS 3.0 cable STB platform at CCBN in Beijing, March 26-28.
“Broadcom’s small form-factor cable set-top box design reduces system cost and complexity, ultimately lowering development and deployment costs for China cable operators while increasing value-added services to home subscribers,” said Rich Nelson, Broadcom Senior Vice President, Marketing, Broadband & Connectivity Group. “With integrated DOCSIS 3.0, our new device enables advanced IP-based home networking for consumers to receive enhanced voice, data and video services across multiple devices in the home, and improves security features.”
The ultra-compact DOCSIS 3.0 cable STB platform combines Broadcom’s BCM7250 STB system-on-a-chip (SoC) integrated with Mobile High-Definition (MHL) 2.0 and the BCM3383, a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem SoC.
Key Features of the DOCSIS 3.0 Cable STB Platform
BCM7250 STB SoC
- High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) and AVS+ HD decoding
- 6000 DMIPS B15 ARMv7-A CPU for optimal TVOS operation
- Gpix/s OpenGL ES 3.0 3D GPU to support e-commerce UI
- HD transcoding to support viewing on multiple devices
- 1080p60 10-Bit HD HEVC decode and 4KP60 display
- High performance DDR3/DDR4 utilization-optimized system memory interface
- Supports Android, TVOS, Chromium, DIAL, DLNA CVP2, Miracast protocols
- Supports Broadcom Trellis multi-application framework and DTVKit software stack
BCM3383 Cable Gateway SoC
- Broadcom® Full-Band Capture digital tuning technology optimized for the C-DOCSIS network
- Channel bonding for single subscriber use of multiple downstream/upstream channels
- Dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi to enable a more reliable network for video distribution throughout the home
- Multi-threaded 500MHz processor for a 50 percent increase in CPU speed
- FastRTV® channel change technology
Broadcom’s BCM7250 is currently sampling and the BCM3383 is now in production.