Fixed broadband subscribers to approach 1 billion in 2019Thursday, April 9th, 2015
Infonetics Projects Fixed Broadband Subscribers to Approach 1 Billion in 2019, Led by China
CAMPBELL, CA — Technology market research firm Infonetics Research, now part of IHS Inc. (NYSE: IHS), today released excerpts from its new FTTH, DSL, and Cable Subscribers report, which tracks and forecasts global fixed broadband subscribers, including DSL, cable broadband, FTTH, and FTTB+LAN subscribers. (Infonetics tracks mobile broadband subscribers in its Mobile Services and Subscribers report.)
“Fixed broadband subscribers grew 8 percent in 2014, reaching 733 million as service providers around the world continue to steadily add subscribers. This is a reflection of the importance of broadband connectivity in the daily lives of individuals and businesses, governments and other organizations,” said Jeff Heynen, research director for broadband access and pay TV at Infonetics Research, now part of IHS.
“Broadband has become a consumer-driven industry. Consumers essentially saved the fixed broadband business by binging on Netflix and other streaming video services, and now broadband providers are consistently investing in higher-end FTTX and DOCSIS 3.0 technologies to keep those innovators happy,” Heynen said.
BROADBAND SUBSCRIBER HIGHLIGHTS
- Though DSL remains far and away the largest technology choice for fixed broadband, subscriber growth is being driven by FTTH and DOCSIS 3.0
- FTTH subscribers jumped 22 percent in 2014 from 2013, crossing the 100 million threshold for the first time
- Asia Pacific holds 50 percent of the world’s fixed broadband subscribers and continues to experience significant subscriber growth thanks to China, Southeast Asia and emerging markets where broadband penetration continues to increase
- China Telecom is the worldwide broadband subscriber market share leader
- Infonetics/IHS forecasts global fixed broadband subscribers to grow at a 5 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) from 2014 to 2019, led by China, Russia, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Indonesia, Thailand and Vietnam
FTTH, DSL AND CABLE SUBSCRIBERS REPORT SYNOPSIS
Infonetics’ new annual fixed broadband subscribers report provides worldwide and regional market size, service provider market share, forecasts through 2019, analysis and trends for cable broadband (DOCSIS 2.0 and 3.0), DSL, FTTH and FTTB+LAN subscribers. Service providers tracked: AT&T, BSNL, BT, China Telecom, China Unicom, Chunghwa Telecom, Comcast, Cox, Deutsche Telekom, GVT, KDDI, KT, NTT, Orange, Rostelecom, Saudi Telecom, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telenor, TeliaSonera, Telmex, Telstra, Time Warner Cable, Turk Telekom, Verizon, VimpelCom, Virgin Media, Vodafone and many others.