Alcatel-Lucent provides optical technology to Telecom Italia for ultra-broadband and TV servicesWednesday, June 3rd, 2015
Alcatel-Lucent provides 100G optical technology to Telecom Italia for delivery of ultra-broadband Internet and TV services
- Rollout of agile optical technology to transform core and metro transport network to meet ever-increasing demand for data services
VIMERCATE, Italy — Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is to provide its 100 gigabit-per-second agile optical networking technology to Telecom Italia as the Italian national service provider transforms its infrastructure to support the delivery of ultra-broadband Internet and TV services for residential and business consumers.
The deployment of Alcatel-Lucent’s 100G technology will increase network capacity while further improving service delivery times and ensuring the highest quality customer experience.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s provision of 100G agile optical networking technology will transform Telecom Italia’s core and metro network, enabling the evolution to IP services.
- Alcatel-Lucent will deploy its market-leading 1830 Photonic Service Switch (1830 PSS). This offers service providers, the right mix of flexibility and efficiency, allowing them to accelerate and simplify new service introduction and management.
- The deployment will allow Telecom Italia to enhance the delivery of high-performance, low-latency services to business customers and provide a cost-effective backhaul solution for residential ultra-broadband access.
- The ROADM-based architecture implemented allows the automated provisioning of wavelengths at optical nodes to dynamically meet traffic demands and boost network scale and efficiency.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s agile optical networking technology helps service providers evolve their transport networks at their own speed to meet growing capacity demands.
Roberto Loiola, Senior Vice-President, South and Centre Europe at Alcatel-Lucent, said: “To be selected by a leading operator such as Telecom Italia for the evolution of its transport network towards 100G and beyond, confirms our technology leadership in the IP and optics domain. Working side by side with customers to help them seize and create new opportunities is our mission and we are proud and eager to work with Telecom Italia to once again change the communications landscape in Italy, leveraging the R&D assets and capabilities both companies have in our country.”