Shaw Communications launches FreeRange TVWednesday, January 6th, 2016
TV has flown the coop with FreeRange TV from Shaw
- Live TV, on-demand, and download-to-go content available to Shaw TV customers at no additional cost
- FreeRange TV raises the bar for mobile viewing with best-in-class product innovation and a superior consumer experience
CALGARY — Shaw Communications Inc. today announced the launch of FreeRange TV™, a breakthrough mobile viewing experience developed for content lovers that allows them to view their favourite TV shows and movies anytime, anywhere.
FreeRange TV™ provides Shaw’s 2.6 million video customers with a mobile destination that combines their TV and content subscriptions in one place, and makes the content they want instantly available no matter where they are. All Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct customers can download the FreeRange TV™ app at no additional cost for iOS (8.0 and up) and Android (4.0.3 and up) devices.
“FreeRange TV™ uses Comcast’s world-class X1 platform – the latest in cloud-based and mobile video technology – and represents the first step in the evolution of Shaw’s new television product roadmap,” said Brad Shaw, Chief Executive Officer, Shaw Communications. “FreeRange TV™ stands out by offering you access to all the content you love in one place without requiring you to switch between apps or services.”
“The quality of the in-app experience and the flexibility it provides users to watch content on or offline, in and out of the home, puts it far ahead of anything else out there,” Shaw said. “By enhancing functionality, expanding the quality of content offered, and by making navigation intuitive and easy, FreeRange TV™ addresses the challenges many TV apps have typically faced.”
FreeRange TV™ features include:
- Over 80 live TV channels: The ability to stream live TV channels and content in one app.
- Up to 30,000 on-demand titles: All available to watch through the FreeRange TV™ app.
- Over 1,500 download-to-go kids’ titles: Available to download directly to their device for viewing offline, with more download-to-go content planned for the future.
- Sports on-the-go: FreeRange TV™ offers Sportsnet and TSN content in one app for all Shaw TV customers.
- All-in-one content aggregation: An interface that combines customer TV subscriptions into one app, meaning customers can find and watch the TV shows and movies they want without needing to remember what network, channel number or platform is carrying them.
The proliferation of mobile devices has completely changed how content is accessed, with more and more Canadians choosing to watch streamed and on-demand TV shows and movies on their smartphones and tablets.
While the way Canadians consume content has changed, their love for content hasn’t. According to a 2015 Ericsson ConsumerLab report, the number of hours people spend watching streamed TV series, programs and movies on-demand is six hours per week, more than double what it was in 2011. The most recent annual Canadian Media Usage Trends report from Interactive Advertising Bureau of Canada and PHD Canada estimates that Canadians now watch video on mobile devices for approximately 500 minutes per week, on average.
Once downloaded, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct customers can login to the FreeRange TV™ app by using their Shaw.ca email address, or account number and password. Additional content and features will be announced in the coming months.