UniqCast partners with SDMC for hybrid DVB-TFriday, April 15th, 2016
SDMC and UniqCast Partner to Deliver Hybrid DVB-T Solution to OTT and DVB Operators
- Turnkey OTT solution enables OTT operators to offload their core IP network with offering national Linear TV channels over DVB-T
OTT operators providing Linear TV service using unicast adaptive streaming, such as HLS, may face challenges in their core network due to high utilization of streaming of Linear TV channels. This is especially important for the scenario where Linear TV is used as a primary service. In this case there is a high concurrency of Live TV service causing big load in the operator’s core IP network. In most cases, the most watched Linear TV channels are the national ones, the ones that are usually available also on the DVB-T network.
With the hybrid OTT solution from UniqCast and Android based STB from SDMC, operators are now able to efficiently solve above mentioned problem. Having most popular Linear TV channels over DVB-T makes significant savings in the network utilization, for up to 80% of all video streaming traffic.
UniqCast integrated the SDMC DVB-T2/IP hybrid, Android based STB, bringing DVB-T support to the UniqCast IPTV / OTT middleware platform. Integration includes:
- automatic scanning of DVB-T/T2 channels and integration with the EPG data, providing seamless TV experience for the viewers
- seamless zapping between HLS or DVB-T/T2 channels, allowing operator to define different combinations for transport of TV channels without any changes or interruptions for the viewers
- Automatic switchover to HLS or multicast TV channel in case of failure of DVB-T/T2 channel, saving the bandwidth for the operator and increasing reliability of the solution
- all interactive TV features such as TV Guide, different ways of channel zapping, channel list, recommended and similar shows and nPVR also on DVB-T/T2 channels, allowing operator to provide the best viewing experience for their users regardless of chosen transport technology
- Integration of DVB-T/T2 channels with the multiscreen client devices, providing Live TV content in the most optimal way for the operator, on any device.
- Catch Up TV, Start Over, Pause and Resume and program recordings also for the DVB-T/T2 channels, enabling operators to differentiate with the most popular TV features, attract new subscribers and increase ARPU.
DVB-T support brings new opportunities for the DVB operators as well. They are now able to extend their existing offering of DVB-T channels with additional TV channels over IP and interactive TV features. This includes attractive user interface with enjoyable user experience, TV Guide, Video on Demand, Catch Up TV, Start Over, program recording and other Interactive TV features. In addition, operator can offer same TV service on all multiscreen devices, bringing their existing TV service to the next level. All together, it enables operators to attract new subscribers, decrease churn and increase ARPU for the existing users.
There is additional benefit of the DVB-T support in the regions with lower available bandwidth or low penetration of fixed broadband access. As TV service is consumed over DVB-T, only small amount of bandwidth is required to provide additional interactivity. Thus, operators are able to differentiate to competitors, with no network changes and with only a small investment in the IPTV/OTT platform from uniqCast.
“With the DVB-T integration we added an important puzzle in our turnkey IPTV/OTT solution that will help our customers to prospect. Operators are now able to offload their core network and significantly save on the operating costs” said Darko Robic, CEO at uniqCast. “In addition, DVB operators are now able to easily deploy our cost efficient solution to provide interactive TV services and attract new users.”
“Adding DVB STB to the already supported IP STB devices was a logical next step in the cooperation between SDMC and uniqCast” said David Li, CEO at SDMC. “Now, we are able to offer advanced and cost effective STB devices, as part of uniqCast solution, to IPTV, OTT and DVB service providers.”