7park Data releases report on OTT viewing trendsTuesday, September 13th, 2016
7park Data Releases Report on Over-the-Top Video Viewership Trends
- New Report Maps Trends in Viewership of Netflix Library vs. Original Content; Viewer Behavior Over Time
NEW YORK, NY — 7Park Data, a leading consumer insight platform, today released the industry’s first television intelligence report that analyzes previously inaccessible global viewership trends of most popular TV shows and movies. The report is based on the company’s new TV Intelligence product, currently available for subscription, and offers insights into consumer preferences for non-traditional video content including on-demand and over-the-top content (OTT).
Top insights from the report, “Over-the-Top (OTT) Viewership Outlook” include:
- Original content viewership is still dwarfed by the viewership of library content
- Top performing production studios in June included 20th Century Fox Television, Warner Bros. Television and Tilted Productions
- New season launches increase viewing for all prior seasons, for both original and library content — this is a trend observed across several shows such as OITNB and Pretty Little Liars
- American-produced programs comprise the top five programs in 14 out of 16 countries
- Orange is the New Black (OITNB) ranked as the top TV program in all but one country profiled in the report
“Understanding consumer behavior has never been more critical for the entertainment industry. With the rapid growth of streaming video services, broadcasters are no longer in charge of the global viewing habits of consumers,” said Brian Lichtenberger, CEO and co-founder of 7Park Data. “Before this report, global data on viewership trends on popular streaming providers such as Netflix was unavailable to the wider industry. With this TV intelligence product and our insight report series we are opening up new opportunities for studios and content producers to apply consumer intelligence to their industry and make informed decisions about content strategy and partnerships.”
The Over-the-Top (OTT) Viewership Outlook report reveals key insights in consumer behavior and viewership of Netflix’s original and library content:
- During the month of June, Netflix had a total of twelve season premieres of Netflix Original Content. However, OITNB Season 4 launched on June 16 and the program dominated viewership, showing 544% growth from May to June.
- New season launches on Netflix increase viewing for prior seasons for both library and original content. Orange Is the New Black (OITNB) was June’s most popular Netflix Original TV program. When OITNB launched in the second week of June, the previous seasons of OITNB also saw an increase in viewership. The report reveals that new season launches drive consumer bingeing of previous seasons for Netflix original content.
- OITNB studio producers Tilted Productions and Lionsgate Productions ranked in the top five performing studios in June, while previously not making it within the top twenty list in May. They placed third and fourth in the top five list, behind established production houses 20th Century Fox Television and Warner Bros. Television.
“Original content releases drive massive viewership. The viewership spike of a library content release is less drastic because library programming has already aired on linear television and accessed on-demand, meaning its launch on OTT platforms is diluted,” said Byrne Hobart, lead analyst at 7Park Data.
7Park Data will release regular insights reports from its TV Intelligence product.
This report was developed by 7Park Data utilizing a unique set of insights into streaming video on demand (SVOD) usage and content preferences. The global panel includes one million active OTT users that collectively stream over one million hours of content each day. Countries profiled in the report include: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Finland, France, Germany, United Kingdom, Mexico, Netherlands, Sweden, and the United States.