Google joins the Streaming Video AllianceThursday, May 10th, 2018
Streaming Video Alliance Welcomes Google as New Member
- Alliance Gathers at Viacom’s Headquarters Today in New York City for Annual Meeting
FREMONT, Calif. — The Streaming Video Alliance (the Alliance), an industry forum solving challenges to improve the video experience, today announced that Google has joined as its newest member. At today’s event hosted by principal member Viacom, Alliance members will gather at the company’s headquarters in the heart of Times Square.
“Viacom is pleased to host the Streaming Video Alliance face-to-face meeting, where we can continue collaborating with the member technology companies, programmers, and distributors to promote standards around distributed caching and video quality-of-service measurement that will benefit us all and our audiences,” said Glenn Goldstein, CTO, Viacom.
Highlights from today’s agenda include:
- Keynote by Alec Hendry, Senior Director of Technology Convergence at Viacom, and Dino Covelli, Director of Emerging Streaming Technology at Viacom
- HEVC Licensing Symposium in which representatives from key HEVC patent licensing pools and patent holders (HEVCAdvance, MPEG LA, and others) will discuss their licensing terms
- Member-led session about Tackling the Issues & Challenges of Massive-scaled Live Synchronized Events presented by Chris Michaels of Wowza
- Welcoming new members to the Alliance including Google and Videastream
“A lot has happened in the four years since the Alliance was founded. New industry technologies have been introduced and adopted, new Alliance members have joined our ranks such as AWS and Google and the consumer demand for and consumption of streaming video continues to soar,” said Jason Thibeault, Executive Director of the Streaming Video Alliance. “As we kick off our fourth annual member meeting, I’m inspired by our collective progress to date and look forward to our members’ continued contributions to the streaming video industry.”
Following the annual meeting, voting will open for the Board of Director elections, and appointments will be in announced in June 2018.
As part of the Alliance’s mission to educate the industry on challenges, technologies, and trends, Thibeault frequently speaks at events throughout the year. On June 5, 2018, Thibeault will be at the OTT Executive Summit in New York City appearing on the panel, “Reliably Streaming Broadcast-Like Quality Video (Including Live) on a Global Scale.” On June 29, 2018, Thibeault will speak on the OTT TV Infrastructure Roundtable at TV of Tomorrow in San Francisco.