2Wire, Huawei, and Thomson Make Major Gains across Broadband CPE Market Share SegmentsMonday, June 8th, 2009
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — 2Wire, Huawei and Thomson captured major market share gains in the 2008 broadband customer premise equipment (CPE) segments, according to In-Stat. The broadband CPE segments include cable and DSL modems, routers, Wi-Fi Aggregators, and residential gateways, with each company demonstrating unique gains.
2Wire stood out for their significant market share gains across the key residential gateway segment. 2Wire gained almost six percentage points in market share in the worldwide residential gateway market. In the home Wi-Fi aggregator segment, which overlaps total broadband routers and gateways, 2Wire took over the number two position from Netgear, gaining 4.8 percentage points of share.
Huawei’s major accomplishment was in the worldwide DSL Modem Market, where it gained over ten percentage points. Huawei achieved an impressive unit growth rate of over 68%, compared to market-wide growth of just under 2%.
Meanwhile, Thomson saw the most broad-based share gains. They performed strongly across nearly all the segments that they compete in, making moderate market share gains in the total and E-MTA cable modems, Wi-Fi aggregators, and residential gateway segments. In addition, Thomson maintained their #1 market share position in the residential gateway market.
The recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Annual growth of residential gateway shipments plummeted in 2008 to only 0.5%, down from 2007’s heady growth of nearly 32%.
- Unit shipments of cable modems with an embedded multimedia terminal adapter (E-MTA) dropped to 15.2 million units in 2008.
Recent In-Stat research, 2008 Global Digital Domicile CPE Market Shares (#IN0904514RC), examines broadband CPE annual market shares for 2008 vs. 2007, based on unit shipments. The report includes:
- Unit market shares including cable modems, DSL modems, routers, and residential gateways.
- A separate segmentation for home Wi-Fi aggregators. This segment overlaps total broadband routers and gateways.
- Unit shipments across each category for 2Wire, Actiontec, Ambit, Apple, Arris, Belkin, Buffalo, Cisco Systems (Scientific Atlanta, and Linksys), D-Link, Huawei, Motorola, Netgear, Netopia, Siemens, SMC, Thomson, Westell, ZyXEL.