Digital TV News: 21st Century Fox
Demand for Netflix Originals set to overtake licensed titles in the U.S.
Dec 13, 2018 – Research by Parrot Analytics and Kagan shows support for one of Netflix's most important strategic goals. According to the report, demand for Netflix Originals is estimated to overtake the share of demand for licensed titles by October 2019.
News categories: S&P Global, Parrot Analytics, Deana Myers, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
21st Century Fox invests $100m in social broadcasting platform Caffeine
Sep 5, 2018 – 21st Century Fox (21CF) and Caffeine have announced that 21CF has led a round of funding for social broadcasting platform, Caffeine. 21CF has invested a combined $100 million in Caffeine and a newly formed venture called Caffeine Studios.
News categories: 21st Century Fox, Caffeine, Lachlan Murdoch, Ben Keighran, Digital TV, OTT, Social TV, Venture Capital, Worldwide
Disney and 21st Century Fox agree $38-per-share acquisition deal
Jun 20, 2018 – The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has announced that it has signed an amended acquisition agreement with Twenty-First Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) for $38 per share in cash and stock.
News categories: Walt Disney Company, 21st Century Fox, Robert A. Iger, Digital TV, Europe, MnA, Satellite, USA, Worldwide
Comcast considering superior all-cash offer to acquire 21st Century Fox
May 23, 2018 – Comcast has confirmed that it is in the advanced stages of preparing an offer for the businesses that Fox has agreed to sell to Disney. Any offer for Fox would be all-cash and at a premium to the value of the current offer from Disney.
News categories: Comcast, 21st Century Fox, Disney, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, MnA, Satellite, USA
FOX, Ericsson, Intel and AT&T stream 2018 U.S. Open in 4K over 5G
May 15, 2018 – FOX Sports, in cooperation with the Fox Innovation Lab and partners Ericsson, Intel and AT&T, will use 5G technology to stream 4K video over 5G for potential broadcast nationwide at this year’s 118th U.S. Open Championship on June 14-17.
News categories: FOX Sports, Ericsson, Intel Corp, AT&T, 21st Century Fox, Michael Davies, Niklas Heuveldop, Asha Keddy, Melissa Arnoldi, Danny Kaye, 5G, Digital TV, Mobile, USA
Consumer entertainment spending to reach $439 billion by 2021
Apr 12, 2018 – In 2017, global consumer expenditure on entertainment content (video, games and music) worldwide continued to climb. By 2021, this spend is set to reach US$439 billion globally, a 17% increase from 2017, according to Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Tristan Veale, Digital TV, DVD, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
The Walt Disney Company to acquire Twenty-First Century Fox
Dec 14, 2017 – The Walt Disney Company and Twenty-First Century Fox have announced that they have entered into an agreement for Disney to acquire 21st Century Fox, including the Twentieth Century Fox Film and Television studios, along with cable and international TV businesses.
News categories: Walt Disney, Twenty-First Century Fox, Robert A. Iger, Orin C. Smith, Rupert Murdoch, Digital TV, MnA, Satellite, Worldwide
Deutsche Telekom's EntertainTV adds UHD, Netflix and exclusive series
Sep 1, 2017 – Deutsche Telekom is massively expanding its EntertainTV entertainment offering. Besides technological improvements to the media receiver to support UHD and direct access to Netflix, Deutsche Telekom is also increasing the range of content on offer.
News categories: Deutsche Telekom, Michael Hagspihl, Digital TV, Germany, IFA, IPTV, OTT, Set Top Box
Hulu signs up NBCUniversal for its upcoming live TV streaming service
May 1, 2017 – Hulu and NBCUniversal have reached a distribution agreement that will bring NBC and Telemundo Owned Television Stations and portfolio of cable networks to Hulu’s upcoming new live TV streaming service.
News categories: Hulu, NBCUniversal, Mike Hopkins, Matt Bond, Digital TV, OTT, USA
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient