Digital TV News: Alliance for Open Media
Vimeo adds support for AV1 codec
Jun 13, 2019 – Vimeo has announced support for royalty-free video codec, AV1. The AV1 codec enables high-definition and ultra-high-definition video content to be streamed to audiences at a reduced bitrate without compromising visual quality.
News categories: Vimeo, Naren Venkataraman, Vittorio Giovara, Nathan Egge, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Worldwide
Allegro DVT introduces real-time AV1 encoder IP for 4K/UHD video
Apr 18, 2019 – Allegro DVT has announced the availability of its AL-E210 multi-format video encoder hardware IP which adds support for the new AV1 video format developed by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia). The AL-E210 is built on Allegro DVT's multi-core architecture.
News categories: Allegro DVT, Nouar Hamze, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Samsung joins the Alliance for Open Media Board of Directors
Apr 3, 2019 – The Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia) has announced that Samsung has joined at the Board-level, the first tier of the organization. AOMedia is a nonprofit organization formed with the aim to define and develop open standards for media compression and delivery over the web.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, Samsung, Matt Frost, Seunghwan Cho, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT, TV Everywhere, Worldwide
Allegro DVT releases Full Compliance Test Suite for the AV1 codec
Sep 12, 2018 – Allegro DVT has announced the availability of its AV1 compliance streams following the public release of the AOMedia Video Codec 1.0 (AV1) specification by the Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia) on March 28th, 2018.
News categories: Allegro DVT, Alliance for Open Media, Nouar Hamze, Media Player, Silicon IP, Worldwide
ATEME integrates AV1 codec into its TITAN video delivery solution
Apr 3, 2018 – At NAB, ATEME will showcase a production ready AV1 CODEC on its TITAN video delivery system. Using TITAN and the codec, operators can deploy a royalty free solution for both the headend and the player; furthermore, AV1 enables significant CDN savings.
News categories: ATEME, Michel Artières, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow, Worldwide
Alliance for Open Media officially releases AV1 specification
Mar 28, 2018 – The Alliance for Open Media (AOMedia) has announced the public release of the AOMedia Video Codec 1.0 (AV1) specification, which delivers cross-platform, 4K UHD or higher online video, royalty-free – all while lowering data usage.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, IHS Markit, Gabe Frost, Paul Gray, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Media Player, NABShow, Worldwide
Ittiam accelerates VP9 encoder with Netflix and Google
Mar 31, 2017 – Ittiam has announced completion of a project to enhance the encoding speed of the VP9 encoder. The performance-optimized version is now publicly available as part of the royalty-free, open-source distribution of VP9.
News categories: Ittiam, Netflix, Google, Mukund Srinivasan, David Ronca, Matt Frost, Content Distribution, OTT, Worldwide
Alliance for Open Media codec becomes open source project
Apr 5, 2016 – The Alliance for Open Media has announced that AMD, ARM and NVIDIA have joined the consortium. The Alliance is also announcing public availability of its AOMedia Video source code as an open source project.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, Gabe Frost, Digital TV, Media Player, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Alliance for Open Media established
Sep 1, 2015 – Seven companies (Amazon, Cisco, Google, Intel, Microsoft, Mozilla and Netflix) have announced formation of the Alliance for Open Media. The initial project will be to create a new, open royalty-free video codec.
News categories: Alliance for Open Media, Gabe Frost, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, Patent, Worldwide
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event