Digital TV News: Amazon Alexa
2019 LG AI ThinQ TVs add Amazon Alexa support
May 23, 2019 – LG has begun adding Amazon Alexa support to the company’s 2019 TV models featuring artificial intelligence. The update will be implemented through the Alexa app on 2019 TVs featuring ThinQ AI including LG UHD TVs, NanoCell TVs and OLED TVs.
News categories: LG Electronics, Amazon Alexa, Brian Kwon, Apps, Australia, Austria, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Smart Home, Smart TV, Spain, UK, USA
Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant neck and neck in Smart Speaker market
May 8, 2019 – The Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant platforms will take an almost equal share of the global smart speaker market this year, according to Strategy Analytics. Amazon Alexa's share of sales will decline to 31.7% in 2019, while Google Assistant’s share will rise to 31.4%.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Espial reports First Quarter 2019 results
May 2, 2019 – Espial (TSX: ESP) has announced results for the three-month period ended March 31, 2019. First quarter revenue was $6.1 million. First quarter adjusted EBITDA was a loss of $0.6 million. Net loss was $1.5 million.
News categories: Espial, Jaison Dolvane, Canada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, Results, Worldwide
Atlantic Broadband brings new TiVo experience to Low Country area of South Carolina
Apr 17, 2019 – Atlantic Broadband has announced that it has launched TiVo's Unified Entertainment System in the Low Country area of South Carolina. The platform features a modern user interface, personalized viewing recommendations and a voice remote.
News categories: Atlantic Broadband, TiVo Corp, Heather McCallion, Debbie Eblen, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, USA, UX
Amazon bulk certifies Espial Elevate operators for Alexa voice control
Apr 16, 2019 – Espial (TSE: ESP) has announced that they have certified several Amazon Alexa voice controls on Elevate-based IPTV, app-TV and cable services. Amazon did a bulk certification, enabling operators to move rapidly through the process.
News categories: Espial, Michael McCluskey, Travis Kohlrus, Noah Popejoy, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Smart Home, Worldwide
T-Mobile introduces TVision Home
Apr 10, 2019 – T-Mobile (NASDAQ: TMUS) has introduced TVision Home, a rebranded and upgraded version of Layer3 TV. TVision Home is launching in Chicago, Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Washington DC metro areas, as well as Longmont CO, with other markets coming later this year.
News categories: T-Mobile, TVision, John Legere, Mike Sievert, 5G, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, USA
Atlantic Broadband adds Alexa functionality to its TiVo-powered video platform
Mar 6, 2019 – Atlantic Broadband has announced that Amazon Alexa voice control functionality is now available through its TiVo-powered video platform. With the enhancement, customer can issue hands-free voice commands without the need for a remote control.
News categories: Atlantic Broadband, TiVo Corp, Alexa, Heather McCallion, Cable TV, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA, UX
LG kicks off global rollout of 2019 TV lineup
Mar 6, 2019 – LG has announced that its 2019 premium TV lineup featuring advanced OLED and NanoCell TVs has begun rolling out. With screen sizes up to 86", the TVs offer upgraded AI picture and sound quality thanks to the company’s α (Alpha) 9 Gen 2 intelligent processor and deep learning technology.
News categories: LG Electronics, Brian Kwon, Digital TV, Korea, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
Roku devices can now interact with Amazon Alexa
Mar 5, 2019 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that Roku devices are now compatible with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices through the new Roku skill for Alexa. Roku streaming player and Roku TV owners in the US can now control their Roku devices using Alexa.
News categories: Roku, Alexa, Ilya Asnis, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Vodafone Portugal enhances the TV user experience
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019