Digital TV News: Amazon Prime Video
67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
May 19, 2020 – New research from Parks Associates finds 67% of US broadband households own and use at least one internet-connected video device, either a smart TV, streaming media player, internet-connected gaming console, or connected PVR/DVR.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVR, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
UK SVOD market to grow 100% over next five years
May 15, 2020 – The UK’s solid growth in SVOD adoption is set to continue over the next five years, according to GlobalData. The total number of subscriptions is expected to double between 2019 and the end of 2024, rising from 22.4 million to 44.6 million.
News categories: GlobalData, Joel Cooper, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, UK
COVID-19 will drive greater usage of TVOD services in 2020
May 7, 2020 – Parks Associates predicts that consumer usage of TVOD services will increase significantly in 2020. According to the firm, in Q1 2020, 14% of US broadband households had used a TVOD service over the past 30 days, a five-point increase from the previous year.
News categories: Parks Associates, Steve Nason, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Dish TV India offers VOD content with MX Player app
Apr 27, 2020 – Dish TV India has announced that it has partnered with MX Player to offer video-on-demand content to its customers. DishTV and d2h users can access MX Player’s content through their Android Set-top-Boxes.
News categories: MX Player, Dish TV India, Abhishek Joshi, Anil Dua, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, India, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box
NZ: Netflix, Lightbox and Prime Video double viewership in 2019
Apr 6, 2020 – Even before the enforced lockdown in New Zealand, data from Roy Morgan shows Netflix, Lightbox and Amazon Prime Video experienced double digit growth in viewership and new entrant Apple TV captured a large audience over the past twelve months.
News categories: Roy Morgan, Michele Levine, Digital TV, Market Research, New Zealand, OTT, Subscribers
Apptopia and Braze release state of streaming industry report
Apr 2, 2020 – Apptopia and Braze have announced findings from a joint report on the streaming industry. Disney+ demonstrated that new streaming services can enter a crowded market and be successful, and this year further new streaming services will launch.
News categories: Braze, Apptopia, Myles Kleeger, Adam Blacker, Apps, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Asia Pacific set for 417 million SVOD subscribers
Mar 30, 2020 – Despite the negative impact from the coronavirus and the Chinese economic downturn, Asia Pacific will have 417 million SVOD subscriptions by 2025, up from 269 million in 2019, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Movies Anywhere app comes to LG Smart TVs
Mar 27, 2020 – LG Electronics USA and Movies Anywhere have announced the arrival of the Movies Anywhere app on LG Smart TVs. Movies Anywhere lets users enjoy their purchased or redeemed digital movies combined in one simplified, personal collection.
News categories: LG Electronics, Movies Anywhere, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Coronavirus expected to add 5% to global VOD subscriptions in 2020
Mar 25, 2020 – Strategy Analytics has published a forecast for SVOD services taking into account the expected impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The forecast expects global subscriptions to increase by 5% in comparison to the pre-pandemic model.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free
- Bloomberg TV+ 4K UHD channel launches on Samsung TV Plus
- LG transfers TV manufacturing capacity to Indonesia
- Nordija delivers TV and media platform for Telenor Sweden
- Telestream integrates Ad-ID validation to ensure correct ad placement
- AT&T closes DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela
- IFA 2020 to go-ahead as an invitation-only event in Berlin
- A1 Slovenia launches personalized TV with Zappware
- Astro Malaysia makes Ultra Box available to IPTV customers
- COSMOTE TV deploys private CDN with Synamedia
- 67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
- FCC to vote on plan to clear the way for ATSC 3.0 internet services
- Eros Now enters Bangladesh in partnership with Allianz Holdings
- Global OTT revenues to reach $167 billion in 2025
- U.S. sees largest first quarter multichannel subscriptions decline to-date
- COVID-19 to have limited impact on telecoms and pay TV spending in 2020
- UK SVOD market to grow 100% over next five years
- 8.2% growth in Smart Speaker sales in Q1 2020 despite COVID-19
- Over half of Americans feel voice control is essential in smart devices