Digital TV News: CEA
EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
Oct 16, 2019 – The European Commission has ordered Broadcom to stop applying certain provisions contained in agreements with six of its main customers. This will prevent serious and irreparable harm to competition likely to be caused by Broadcom's conduct, which prima facie infringes EU competition rules.
News categories: European Commission, Broadcom, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Sony captured 30% of VR hardware revenues in 2018
Aug 5, 2019 – Strategy Analytics' data on the VR headset market shows a decline in annual hardware revenues for the first time. The decline is confined to the low value segment however. The forecast shows continued growth in the Console and PC-tethered VR segments.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David MacQueen, David Kerr, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
TV panel prices plunge in June
Jul 5, 2019 – According to WitsView, although the US-China trade dispute reached a ceasefire, TV brands have been engaging in preemptive stocking. This along with Samsung shutting down its Gen 8.5 L8-1-1 plant has caused TV panel prices to plunge in June.
News categories: WitsView, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Panel prices may drop below costs in 2H
Jul 1, 2019 – According to Witsview, despite the recent relaxation of the US-China trade dispute, demand for various end products in 2H will remain in a conservative mood until the situation becomes clear, leading to a less-than-expected restocking demand for panels.
News categories: TrendForce, Witsview, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
FCC opens up for ATSC 3.0 license applications
May 23, 2019 – The Media Bureau of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has announced that it will begin accepting Next Generation Television (ATSC 3.0) license applications in the commission’s licensing and management system on May 28, 2019.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Regulation, USA
TELUS TV subscriber base up 17,000 in 1Q 2019
May 9, 2019 – TELUS has released results for the first quarter of 2019. In the quarter, the company added 17,000 TELUS TV customers to finish with a customer base of 1.1 million, up 11,000 year-on-year.
News categories: TELUS, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Results, Subscribers
Aire Networks adds forensic watermarking from Verimatrix
Feb 27, 2019 – Verimatrix has announced that Spanish network operator Aire Networks has extended its investment in its Video Content Authority System framework to maximize security for the TV Everywhere streaming offered by its Perseo TV premium OTT services.
News categories: Verimatrix, Aire Networks, Steve Oetegenn, Manuel Monserrate, Digital TV, MWC19, Spain, TV Everywhere, Watermarking
Taptica to acquire RhythmOne for $176m
Feb 4, 2019 – Taptica has announced the acquisition of RhythmOne for $176m in an all-stock deal. RhythmOne provides cross-screen solutions focused on connected TV. RhythmOne will be combined with Tremor Video DSP, which Taptica acquired in August 2017.
News categories: Taptica, RhythmOne, Ofer Druker, Eric Singer, Advertising, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA, Worldwide
Socionext develops HDMI 2.1 compatible video processing ICs
Oct 15, 2018 – Socionext has developed a family of the world's first HDMI 2.1 compatible video processing ICs, designed for transmission and reception of 8K video. Socionext will provide live demonstrations of the HV5 series at CEATEC Japan 2018.
News categories: Socionext, Digital TV, Japan, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Smart TV
- ATBiS to manufacture Triveni Digital ATSC 3.0 broadcast gateway
- Sumitomo selects SiTune ISDB-S3 tuner for 4K/8K set-top box
- Synamedia and Triveni Digital partner for ATSC 3.0 video delivery
- Rohde & Schwarz supports 5G Broadcast trial in Brazil
- EU imposes interim measures on Broadcom in TV chipset market
- Globecast provides media operations for Orby TV
- Switch Media unveils fast-to-market OTT platform
- Allegro DVT acquires Amphion Semiconductor
- Australian SVOD poised to break billion-dollar AU$ barrier
- HEVC Advance adds JVCKenwood, NEC, Intellectual Discovery, and Korean Patent Investment as licensors
- TV Time acquires Mediamorph
- Apple TV App and Apple TV+ coming to the Roku platform
- Amobee launches fraud-free guarantee for Connected TV inventory
- GTPL Hathway digital pay TV subscribers up 150,000 in 3Q 2019
- ARK Multicasting and Microsoft partner for rural broadband and cloud services
- Phoenix Model Market adding 2nd NEXTGEN TV transmission site and SFN
- Melita grows TV subscriber base to more than 100,000
- Orange France Livebox 5 powered by SoftAtHome
- Viewers in Australia feel overwhelmed in streaming battleground
- IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan