Digital TV News: DIRECTV
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
AT&T closes DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela
May 19, 2020 – AT&T has closed its DIRECTV Latin America operations in Venezuela. The U.S. government’s sanctions have prohibited the broadcast of Globovision and PDVSA's channels which are required under DIRECTV’s license to provide pay TV in Venezuela.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, Satellite, Venezuela
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost about 2,065,000 subscribers in 1Q 2020
May 14, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 2,065,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2020, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 1,025,000 subscribers in 1Q 2019.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
AT&T U.S. down 1,035k; Vrio down 114k video subs in 1Q 2020
Apr 22, 2020 – AT&T (NYSE:T) has reported results for the first quarter of 2020. Total U.S. video subscribers were down 1.035 million in the quarter with AT&T TV NOW accounting for 138,000 of the losses. For Vrio in Latin America, net subscribers were down 114,000.
News categories: AT&T, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Results, Subscribers, USA
Valassis launches Connected TV ad solution
Mar 11, 2020 – Valassis has announced a Connected TV solution to help brands engage the streaming TV audience by interests, in-market signals and location. With Valassis CTV, brands are able to serve and measure their ads to drive the ideal consumer to the nearest store.
News categories: Valassis, Jay Webster, Advertising, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Recession to cut Latin America pay TV subscribers by 5 million
Mar 9, 2020 – The Latin American pay TV sector has been hit by the recession. The number of pay TV subscribers fell by 4 million in 2019. Digital TV Research forecasts 67 million pay TV subscribers by 2025 – down from 72 million in the peak year of 2017.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, Mexico, Subscribers
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost nearly 5 million subscribers in 2019
Mar 3, 2020 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 4,915,000 net video subscribers in 2019, compared to a pro forma loss of about 1,585,000 subscribers in 2018.
News categories: Leichtman Research Group, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Xandr launches Pause Ads
Jan 7, 2020 – Xandr has announced Pause Ads. These dynamic ad formats complement, rather than disrupt, the viewing experience via the 'pause' button, since consumers only see the ads when they take a break from the content they are watching.
News categories: Xandr, Matt Van Houten, Advertising, Digital TV, USA
Consolidated Communications extends CCiTV availability
Nov 25, 2019 – Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ: CNSL) has introduced CCiTV to residential customers in its Lakes Region, central and southern New Hampshire service areas. CCiTV offers flexible, easy-to-use TV programming to customers when they want it, where they want it and how they want it.
News categories: Consolidated Communications, Rob Koester, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, USA
- SETAR deploys Nordija interactive TV platform in Aruba
- BoFiNet enlists Globecast for OTT service creation in Botswana
- SeaChange leadership extends salary reduction plan
- Growth in TV Panel quotes even higher than expected in July
- DNA selects VisualOn media player for Android TV app
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert