Digital TV News: DTS
Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
Aug 9, 2019 – The global home audio hardware market grew 20% last year to reach 154 million units, with a further 19% growth projected in 2019, according to Futuresource Consulting. The sector witnessed 5% revenue growth, with trade values reaching $14.5 billion.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Guy Hammett, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Roku introduces Roku Premiere and Roku Premiere+ 4K streaming players
Sep 24, 2018 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that it is expanding its streaming player line-up with the addition of two new devices – the Roku Premiere and the new Roku Premiere+. The Roku Premiere and Roku Premiere+ are simple to use and offer picture quality in HD, 4K Ultra HD or 4K HDR.
News categories: Roku, Lloyd Klarke, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
DTS Virtual:X immersive audio added to MStar’s TV SoCs
Jan 25, 2018 – DTS (Nasdaq: XPER) has announced the integration of DTS Virtual:X post-processing in a wide range of MStar smart TV SoC platforms. The integration will allow TV vendors to deliver virtualized immersive sound from any content.
News categories: Xperi, MStar Semi, DTS, Joanna Skrdlant, Mike Chang, Media Player, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Smart TV, Worldwide
iWedia Android STB software ported to HiSilicon SoCs
Mar 28, 2017 – iWedia has announced that its Teatro-3.5 product for Android TV STB has been ported to the HiSilicon Hi3798MV200, the latest UHD STB chipset from the provider of silicon solutions for digital home, communications and wireless terminals.
News categories: iWedia, HiSilicon, Nikola Teslić, John Liu, Android TV, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Video Exchange, Worldwide
Industry forum formed to boost VR adoption
Jan 5, 2017 – At CES, 28 companies announced the Virtual Reality Industry Forum (VRIF), a not-for-profit company with its purpose stated as: “To further the widespread availability of high-quality audiovisual VR experiences, for the benefit of consumers.”
News categories: Virtual Reality Industry Forum, David Price, Chris Johns, CES, Digital TV, VR, Worldwide
Telefonica pay TV subscribers down 25k in 3Q 2016
Oct 27, 2016 – Telefónica has reported results for the first nine months of the 2016. Video revenues in the quarter grew year-on-year by 9.9%, driven by y-o-y growth of pay TV accesses to 8.4 million at September (4.4 million satellite TV accesses).
News categories: Telefónica, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, IPTV, Peru, Results, Satellite, Spain, Subscribers, Venezuela
Xiaomi brings 4K Mi Box to the US
Oct 3, 2016 – Xiaomi has announced that it is bringing Mi Box — its 4K Ultra HD streaming media player powered by Google's Android TV — to the U.S. market for $69. Mi Box will be available on Mi.com and in Walmart stores as well as Walmart.com.
News categories: Xiaomi, Hugo Barra, Sascha Prueter, Roger Lynch, Android TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Telefonica adds 94,000 pay TV subscribers in 1Q 2016
Apr 29, 2016 – Telefónica (NYSE:TEF) (LSE:TDE) has announced results for the first quarter of 2016. Video revenues totaled 665.4 million euros, up 17.3% vs. the first quarter of 2015. Pay TV accesses totalled 8.4 million at March (4.5 million satellite TV).
News categories: Telefónica, Brazil, Central America, Chile, Colombia, IPTV, Peru, Results, Satellite, Spain, Subscribers, Venezuela
Spain adds 75,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2015
Mar 1, 2016 – Spain’s Markets and Competition Commission (CNMC) has statistics for the country for the third quarter of 2015. In the quarter, total pay TV subscribers grew by 75,000 to 5.43 million, a much lower increase than the 400,000 seen in the same quarter of 2014.
News categories: CNMC, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Spain, Subscribers, Terrestrial
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box
- Netgem and Sharp release smart soundbar for telcos