Digital TV News: DTS
Kast watch party app adds live-engagement for co-viewing
Aug 25, 2020 – Kast has launched Kast TV, an addition to its watch party app that includes visual live-engagement for co-viewing. Kasters are able to talk, hear, and see each other simultaneously as they watch their selected content.
News categories: Kast, Mark Ollila, Digital TV, OTT, Social TV, Worldwide
FCC proposed rule change to support ATSC 3.0 distributed transmission
Mar 31, 2020 – The FCC has released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking comment on proposed rule changes to permit greater flexibility for broadcasters to use distributed transmission systems (DTS) as they deploy ATSC 3.0.
News categories: Federal Communications Commission, ATSC 3.0, Digital TV, Regulation, Terrestrial, USA
Xperi and TiVo to combine in all-stock transaction
Dec 19, 2019 – Xperi (Nasdaq: XPER) and TiVo (Nasdaq: TIVO) have entered into a definitive agreement to combine to create a consumer and entertainment technology business with one of the industry’s largest intellectual property (IP) licensing platforms.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Xperi Corp, David Shull, Jon Kirchner, Big Data, Digital TV, Licensing, Media Player, MnA, Mobile, Patent, Silicon IP, Smart Home, UX, Worldwide
Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
Aug 9, 2019 – The global home audio hardware market grew 20% last year to reach 154 million units, with a further 19% growth projected in 2019, according to Futuresource Consulting. The sector witnessed 5% revenue growth, with trade values reaching $14.5 billion.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Guy Hammett, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Roku introduces Roku Premiere and Roku Premiere+ 4K streaming players
Sep 24, 2018 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that it is expanding its streaming player line-up with the addition of two new devices – the Roku Premiere and the new Roku Premiere+. The Roku Premiere and Roku Premiere+ are simple to use and offer picture quality in HD, 4K Ultra HD or 4K HDR.
News categories: Roku, Lloyd Klarke, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
DTS Virtual:X immersive audio added to MStar’s TV SoCs
Jan 25, 2018 – DTS (Nasdaq: XPER) has announced the integration of DTS Virtual:X post-processing in a wide range of MStar smart TV SoC platforms. The integration will allow TV vendors to deliver virtualized immersive sound from any content.
News categories: Xperi, MStar Semi, DTS, Joanna Skrdlant, Mike Chang, Media Player, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Smart TV, Worldwide
iWedia Android STB software ported to HiSilicon SoCs
Mar 28, 2017 – iWedia has announced that its Teatro-3.5 product for Android TV STB has been ported to the HiSilicon Hi3798MV200, the latest UHD STB chipset from the provider of silicon solutions for digital home, communications and wireless terminals.
News categories: iWedia, HiSilicon, Nikola Teslić, John Liu, Android TV, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Video Exchange, Worldwide
Industry forum formed to boost VR adoption
Jan 5, 2017 – At CES, 28 companies announced the Virtual Reality Industry Forum (VRIF), a not-for-profit company with its purpose stated as: “To further the widespread availability of high-quality audiovisual VR experiences, for the benefit of consumers.”
News categories: Virtual Reality Industry Forum, David Price, Chris Johns, CES2021, Digital TV, VR, Worldwide
Telefonica pay TV subscribers down 25k in 3Q 2016
Oct 27, 2016 – Telefónica has reported results for the first nine months of the 2016. Video revenues in the quarter grew year-on-year by 9.9%, driven by y-o-y growth of pay TV accesses to 8.4 million at September (4.4 million satellite TV accesses).
News categories: Telefónica, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, IPTV, Peru, Results, Satellite, Spain, Subscribers, Venezuela
- Kaltura to migrate Cellcom TV to the Cloud
- Smart Home device market remains resilient despite pandemic
- Roku OS 9.4 to begin roll out to Roku devices
- Armstrong secures VOD launch with Verimatrix
- Global SVOD revenue to grow to $100 billion
- Amazon announces new Fire TV devices and redesigned UX
- ENENSYS announces ATSC 3.0 head end for hybrid delivery
- 605 signs measurement and analytics deal with Walmart
- AdLedger pilots OTT video ad deployment using blockchain
- VR market to grow despite pandemic blow to location-based segment
- Graham Media renews with Comscore for TV measurement
- 317 million SVOD subscriptions for the U.S. in 2025
- Clearcable adds Minerva Networks IPTV platform to offering
- BARB issues invitation to tender for five contracts
- Amino helps Colsecor add SENSA OTT to legacy set-top boxes
- 3SS provides technology for STINGTV app from Yes
- Discovery acquires assets of adtech start-up AdSparx
- SimulTV picks Limelight Edge services for global video delivery
- U.S. pay TV suffers historic cord-cutting
- SpotX unveils programmatic solutions for linear Addressable TV