Digital TV News: Disney
Almost 14 million Australians have subscription or pay TV
Jul 1, 2019 – Research from Roy Morgan shows that 13,975,000 Australians aged 14+ now have access to some form of Pay TV/Subscription TV or Subscription Video on Demand (SVOD). Netflix is the clear market leader with nearly 11.5 million Australians having a subscription.
News categories: Roy Morgan, Michele Levine, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Europe VOD revenues to exceed €10 billion in 2022
Jun 18, 2019 – According to ITMedia Consulting, VOD in Europe will surpass the €10 billion mark in 2022, maintaining a double-digit CAGR of 12%. The total revenue growth over the four-year timespan (2018-2022) will be an impressive €4 billion.
News categories: ITMedia Consulting, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT
Fox Corp and ad agencies join Project OAR addressable TV consortium
Jun 13, 2019 – Fox Corporation has joined the Project OAR addressable TV advertising consortium. In addition, Project OAR has formed an Agency Advisory Committee with participation from Publicis Media, Omnicom Media Group, GroupM, IPG/Magna, Dentsu Aegis Network, Havas and Horizon Media.
News categories: Project OAR, Fox Corp, Dan Callahan, Jonathan Steuer, Helen Katz, Zeev Neumeier, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Mobile time surpasses TV time in the U.S.
Jun 5, 2019 – This year, for the first time, US adults will spend more time using their mobile devices than they will spend watching TV, with smartphone use dominating mobile time, according to eMarketer.
News categories: eMarketer, Yoram Wurmser, Eric Haggstrom, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, USA
Global SVOD subscriptions race towards 1 billion
Jun 3, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, the global number of gross SVOD subscriptions will increase by 439 million between 2018 and 2024 to 947 million – up by 86%. The average SVOD subscriber will pay for 1.78 SVOD subscriptions by 2024 – up from 1.43 in 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Disney+ to lead the next OTT boom in Western Europe
May 31, 2019 – Digital TV Research forecasts 131.20 million gross SVOD subscriptions in Western Europe by 2024, doubling from 65.19 million by end-2018. About 13 million subscribers will be added in 2019 alone, with a similar number of additions expected in 2020.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Subscribers
CANAL+ Group to acquire M7
May 27, 2019 – CANAL+ Group has announces the acquisition of M7, owned by Astorg. M7 is an aggregator and distributor of local and international channels via satellite and OTT platforms with a presence in the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania.
News categories: CANAL+ Group, M7 Group, Maxime Saada, Jacques du Puy, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Digital TV, Hungary, MnA, Netherlands, OTT, Romania, Satellite, Slovakia
Disney and Comcast agree on Hulu's future governance and ownership
May 14, 2019 – Disney (NYSE: DIS) and Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) have announced that Disney will assume full operational control of Hulu, effective immediately, in return for Disney and Comcast entering into a 'put/call' agreement regarding NBCUniversal’s 33% ownership interest in Hulu.
News categories: Comcast, Disney, Digital TV, MnA, OTT, USA
Eastern Europe to add 16 million SVOD subscriptions
May 1, 2019 – Eastern Europe will have 26.19 million SVOD subscriptions by 2024, up from the 10.02 million recorded at end-2018, according to Digital TV Research. Russia will supply 8.77 million to the 2024 total, with Poland bringing in another 6.32 million.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient