Digital TV News: European Broadcasting Union
5G-MAG launch puts media in the centre of 5G
Sep 13, 2019 – A 5G Media Action Group (5G-MAG) has been launched to provide a framework for all relevant stakeholders to collaborate on a market driven implementation of 5G in production and distribution of audiovisual media content and services.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, 5G-MAG, Antonio Arcidiacono, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, IBC2020, Worldwide
EBU and Eurofins Digital Testing partner on UHDTV standards and logo
Sep 13, 2019 – The European Broadcasting Union has published a set of key distribution parameters (EBU Tech 3372) for UHDTV video and audio. Eurofins Digital Testing has created a certification logo, referencing the EBU specification.
News categories: Eurofins Digital Testing, European Broadcasting Union, Johan Craeybeckx, Antonio Arcidiacono, Digital TV, Europe, IBC2020, Smart TV
Ultra HD Forum brings updated Guidelines to NAB Show 2019
Apr 4, 2019 – At NAB, the Ultra HD Forum (UHDF) will bring an update to its Guidelines. The unified document describes ‘foundation’ UHD technologies, as well as ‘enhancements’ that are backward compatible but still work on foundation equipment.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, Madeleine Noland, Thierry Fautier, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Smart TV, Worldwide
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
EBU publishes royalty-free CA standard for live content streams
Apr 6, 2018 – The EBU has published a new protocol, developed in close collaboration with network equipment vendors ATEME and NEVION, which makes it a lot easier for media rights holders to grant clients access to live video content.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Adi Kouadio, Dr Hans Hoffmann, Oscar Teran, Conditional Access, Digital TV, IBC2020, NABShow, OTT, Worldwide
3GPP Release 14 to incorporate broadcaster requirements
Feb 14, 2017 – The upcoming 3GPP Release 14 will include a set of new features that will help to ensure that new mobile technologies – 4G as well as 5G – will be capable of meeting the future requirements of EBU Members.
News categories: 3GPP, European Broadcasting Union, Erik Guttmann, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, Worldwide
Freeview Play spec adds HEVC and Ultra HD via broadband
Sep 23, 2016 – Digital UK has published an updated technical specification for Freeview Play, setting out new features and requirements for products developed during 2017. Freeview Play combines live television with catch-up TV and on-demand services, making it easy for viewers to watch what they want, when they want.
News categories: Digital UK, James Jackson, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
Nov 26, 2015 – At the ITU’s World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15) representatives of over 150 governments took the decision that UHF spectrum will remain exclusively allocated to terrestrial TV services in ITU Region 1 well into the next decade.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, International Telecommunication Union, Simon Fell, Africa, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Terrestrial
V-Nova announces PERSEUS video compression technology
Apr 1, 2015 – V-Nova has announced the public release of a number of video compression products based on its PERSEUS technology. PERSEUS offers 2-3x compression gains under practical operating scenarios versus H.264, HEVC and JPEG2000.
News categories: V-Nova, Guido Meardi, Eric Achtmann, Digital TV, Media Player
- Mobile to provide 40% of SVOD subscriptions
- Comscore finds U.S. VOD transactions peaked in April
- Vewd brings the full broadcast experience to Smart TVs
- Dataxis compares Europe, Latam with U.S. AVOD market
- HEVC Advance royalty rates to remain at current levels
- Alphonso signs ACR distribution deals with Seiki and Skyworth
- Market turbulence to boost UK digital video market
- THEO Technologies and Synamedia form HESP Alliance
- U.S. consumers spend nearly seven hours per week watching online video
- NEXTGEN TV launches at four TV stations in Salt Lake City
- FCC designates Huawei and ZTE as national security threats
- STARZPLAY available from UPC Switzerland
- Verizon Media launches TV tune-in attribution with Inscape
- Eros Now partners with Dish TV India
- NexGuard watermarking integrated into AWS Elemental MediaConvert
- TRAI reports pay TV numbers for India at end-2019
- Altibox takes Verimatrix security into the Cloud
- Consolidated Communications introduces CCiTV in Texas
- Brat TV chooses Amagi to expand streaming TV footprint
- Churn rate for U.S. OTT services at 41% in Q1 2020