Digital TV News: European Broadcasting Union
Ultra HD Forum brings updated Guidelines to NAB Show 2019
Apr 4, 2019 – At NAB, the Ultra HD Forum (UHDF) will bring an update to its Guidelines. The unified document describes ‘foundation’ UHD technologies, as well as ‘enhancements’ that are backward compatible but still work on foundation equipment.
News categories: Ultra HD Forum, Madeleine Noland, Thierry Fautier, Content Distribution, Digital TV, NABShow, Smart TV, Worldwide
UK's Freeview Play platform to receive £125 million investment
Jun 11, 2018 – The UK’s top broadcast companies have signed an agreement to accelerate Freeview’s transition to a fully hybrid platform. The collaboration will see an investment of £125 million to build on the success of Freeview Play, the UK market leader in free-to-view connected TV.
News categories: Digital UK, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
EBU publishes royalty-free CA standard for live content streams
Apr 6, 2018 – The EBU has published a new protocol, developed in close collaboration with network equipment vendors ATEME and NEVION, which makes it a lot easier for media rights holders to grant clients access to live video content.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Adi Kouadio, Dr Hans Hoffmann, Oscar Teran, Conditional Access, Digital TV, IBC2019, NABShow, OTT, Worldwide
3GPP Release 14 to incorporate broadcaster requirements
Feb 14, 2017 – The upcoming 3GPP Release 14 will include a set of new features that will help to ensure that new mobile technologies – 4G as well as 5G – will be capable of meeting the future requirements of EBU Members.
News categories: 3GPP, European Broadcasting Union, Erik Guttmann, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Mobile, Worldwide
Freeview Play spec adds HEVC and Ultra HD via broadband
Sep 23, 2016 – Digital UK has published an updated technical specification for Freeview Play, setting out new features and requirements for products developed during 2017. Freeview Play combines live television with catch-up TV and on-demand services, making it easy for viewers to watch what they want, when they want.
News categories: Digital UK, James Jackson, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
Nov 26, 2015 – At the ITU’s World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-15) representatives of over 150 governments took the decision that UHF spectrum will remain exclusively allocated to terrestrial TV services in ITU Region 1 well into the next decade.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, International Telecommunication Union, Simon Fell, Africa, Digital TV, Europe, Middle-East, Terrestrial
V-Nova announces PERSEUS video compression technology
Apr 1, 2015 – V-Nova has announced the public release of a number of video compression products based on its PERSEUS technology. PERSEUS offers 2-3x compression gains under practical operating scenarios versus H.264, HEVC and JPEG2000.
News categories: V-Nova, Guido Meardi, Eric Achtmann, Digital TV, Media Player
EBU says LTE not a viable alternative to DTT distribution
Jul 31, 2014 – The EBU has released a report that examines the possibility of delivering broadcast content and services over LTE networks. The report concludes that LTE could be a useful complement to broadcast distribution platforms.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Mobile, Terrestrial, Worldwide
EBU policy statement on Ultra HD TV
Jul 3, 2014 – The EBU has issued a document intended to guide strategic decisions in regard to UHDTV and future TV services. It is addressed at Senior Management of EBU Members and other broadcasters and at anyone who is a stakeholder in the audiovisual content industries.
News categories: European Broadcasting Union, Broadcasting, Digital TV, Europe, Set Top Box, Smart TV
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum reveals LatAm key findings
- Beeline deploys Kaltura TV Platform in Kazakhstan
- Spearad launches monetization technology for addressable TV and audio
- SmartLabs migrates legacy boxes for StarNet TV in Moldova
- New global launch dates confirmed for Disney+
- Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
- Australians turn to multiple subscriptions for entertainment
- Broadband usage patterns provide clues to imminent cord-cutting
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient