Digital TV News: European Parliament
EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
Dec 13, 2018 – EU negotiators have agreed on proposed copyright legislation for TV and radio programmes. The new rules will make it easier for European broadcasters to make programmes available on their live TV or catch-up services online, and will simplify distribution by retransmission operators.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
EU agrees proposal for revised Audiovisual Media Services Directive
Apr 26, 2018 – The European Parliament, Council and Commission have reached a preliminary political agreement on the main elements of revised rules to apply to audiovisual media across Europe.
News categories: European Commission, European Parliament, European Council, Andrus Ansip, Mariya Gabriel, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
EU Court of Justice says offering copies of TV programmes in the cloud must be authorised by the copyright holder
Nov 29, 2017 – VCAST makes available to its customers via the internet recordings of Italian terrestrial TV programmes. The Court of Justice was asked whether VCAST’s service, provided without the consent of the copyright owner or holder of related rights, is compatible with the EU's Copyright Directive.
News categories: Court of Justice, Digital TV, EU, Italy, OTT, Regulation, UK
EBU urges EU policy makers to set out clear privacy rules for audience measurement
Jun 21, 2017 – As the European Parliament examines future ePrivacy Regulation, the EBU has expressed concern at potential restrictions on the ability of third parties to gather audience measurement data on behalf of broadcasters.
News categories: EBU, Big Data, Digital TV, EU, Market Research, Regulation
European Council proposes revised directive on audiovisual media services
May 23, 2017 – The European Council has proposed a revised directive on audiovisual media services. The main elements are: the same rules will apply to both TV broadcasting and on-demand services; more effective procedures to deal with cross-border services are provided; and promotion of European works will also apply to on-demand service providers.
News categories: European Council, Digital TV, EU, Regulation
EU adopts rules to allow OTT roaming
May 18, 2017 – EU citizens with subscriptions for online films and TV will soon be able to access their content while temporarily in another EU country. The new rules will remove restrictions so that EU citizens can use online services while in another EU country for holidays, studies or business.
News categories: European Parliament, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
EU agrees portability rules for online subscriptions
Feb 7, 2017 – Europeans will soon be able to fully use their online subscriptions to films, sports events, e-books, video games or music services when travelling within the EU, according to an agreement reached by negotiators of the European Parliament, the Member States and the European Commission.
News categories: European Commission, Digital TV, EU, OTT, Regulation
Qualcomm, Nokia and Yle demo LTE Supplemental Downlink in a TV Broadcast Band
Sep 2, 2016 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ: QCOM), Nokia and Finnish broadcasting company, Yle, have announced have conducted the world's first demonstration of the LTE Supplemental Downlink (SDL) technology in a TV broadcast band.
News categories: Qualcomm, Nokia, Yle, European Commission, Enrico Salvatori, Stephan Litjens, Lauri Kivinen, Roberto Viola, Broadband, Digital TV, Finland, Mobile, Terrestrial
EU proposes to move 700MHz UHF band to mobile services
Feb 2, 2016 – The European Commission has presented a proposal to make more spectrum available for mobile services in the 700 MHz band (694-790 MHz) by 2020. Currently, this band is mainly used for TV broadcasting.
News categories: European Commission, Andrus Ansip, Günther H. Oettinger, Content Distribution, Digital TV, EU, Regulation, Terrestrial
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- Dailymotion and Huawei Video announce global video partnership
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020