Digital TV News: Freeview UK
Switch Media adds Bitmovin video player to its MediaHQ product suite
Jun 19, 2019 – Switch Media adds Bitmovin Video Player to its MediaHQ product suite. The first product to market using the Bitmovin Player technology is Freeview Australia’s Freeview FV Web which gives viewers access to TV using their online browser.
News categories: Bitmovin, Switch Media, Freeview Australia, Stefan Lederer, Luke Durham, Australia, Digital TV, Media Player, OTT
SERAPHIC and CVTE offer customisable Freeview Play 4K TV solution
Jun 14, 2019 – CVTE has worked with SERAPHIC to provide a Freeview Play compliant 4K TV solution for smart TV brands targeting the UK market. CVTE and SERAPHIC together offer a customized UI for the TV brands and help them deliver competitive Freeview Play products.
News categories: SERAPHIC, CVTE, Xinwen Xue, Ziyuan Zhong, Digital TV, HbbTV, Smart TV, UK, UX
EBS provides scheduling information and EPG metadata for UKTV
May 20, 2019 – EBS has announced a supply deal with UKTV for UKTV's full portfolio of channels. EBS now provides scheduling information and EPG metadata for UKTV operations on the Sky, Freeview, and Freesat platforms via its scheduling software, Pawa.
News categories: EBS, UKTV, Keith Bedford, Dave Maynard, Big Data, Digital TV, UK
Share of UK broadband households planning to cancel pay-TV has doubled
May 1, 2019 – Research from Parks Associates finds that the percentage of UK broadband households stating that they are likely to cancel their pay-TV service has increased to 24% in late 2018 from 12% in late 2015. The intent to cancel is higher among households that watch online video services.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, UK
Manhattan launches T3 Freeview Play 4K Smart Box
Feb 11, 2019 – UK-based set-top box specialist Manhattan has announced the launch of their first Freeview Play set-top box, the T3 Freeview Play 4K Smart Box. Building on the Freeview Play offering, the T3 also includes YouTube and YouTube kids.
News categories: Manhattan, Freeview UK, Alex Arbab-Zadeh, James Jackson, Digital TV, HbbTV, OTT, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview UK launches mobile app for iOS
Jan 22, 2019 – Freeview UK has launched its mobile app for iOS devices. In just three taps, users can stream live shows from the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 and on demand content from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, My5, and UKTV Play whenever and wherever, all free.
News categories: Freeview UK, Owen Jenkinson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
Freeview Play devices sold in UK reach five million
Dec 19, 2018 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the total number of Freeview Play devices sold in the UK has now surpassed five million. Freeview Play was launched in 2015 to provide viewers of the UK’s favourite TV platform with access to live, catch up and on-demand programming.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
Dec 10, 2018 – Freeview, in collaboration with Dish TV, Google and local content providers, has released the first Android TV powered PVR in New Zealand. The Freeview Recorder combines the entire suite of Freeview features with apps and extra content available through Google Play.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Jason Foden, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, New Zealand, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Freeview UK mobile app launching in January 2019
Nov 28, 2018 – Freeview UK has announced 22nd January 2019 as the launch date of its new iOS mobile app. The app provides viewers with a one-stop-shop for the country’s most watched TV shows. An Android version will launch in early 2019.
News categories: Freeview UK, Jonathan Thompson, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, UK
- ITV and BBC sign agreement to launch BritBox
- Inca ABR transcoder approved for MOBITV CONNECT deployments
- UK CE market forecast to grow 4% in 2019
- Liberty Global Vodafone deal approved by European Commission
- ATEME and Eurovision Services run BISS-CA watermarking trial
- Netflix US streaming subscribers down 126k in 2Q 2019
- Pay-TV Innovation Forum releases sports OTT report
- One million downloads for Sinclair's STIRR app
- Cifra and Flussonic offer integrated IPTV/OTT solution
- Vodafone Portugal enhances the TV user experience
- Mirada to empower pay TV operators with Netflix integration
- DNA sells pay-DTT business to Digita
- Socionext releases 8K-capable live video encoding unit
- Speedcast, In Aria! and Telespazio announce joint service offering
- Operator 5G boosted by strong projections for 5G PCs and tablets
- Block Communications to use Comscore local TV ratings and Advanced Audiences
- 27% of US broadband households engage in some form of piracy or account sharing
- Nielsen's TV ratings platform moves to AWS
- NEC demonstrates live 8K video transmission over 5G in France
- U.S. consumer technology sales to exceed $400bn in 2019