Digital TV News: GET
HBO Max launched in the U.S.
May 27, 2020 – WarnerMedia’s streaming platform, HBO Max, has officially launched. The launch is the culmination of efforts to bring the best of WarnerMedia together to launch the new offering, following AT&T’s acquisition of Time Warner.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Bob Greenblatt, Digital TV, OTT, USA
World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
May 22, 2020 – Researchers from Monash, Swinburne and RMIT universities have tested and recorded Australia's fastest internet data speed, and that of the world, from a single optical chip - capable of downloading 1000 HD movies in a split second.
News categories: Monash University, RMIT University, Swinburne University, Dr Bill Corcoran, Professor Arnan Mitchell, Professor David Moss, Australia, Broadband, Fibre, Worldwide
WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
May 20, 2020 – WarnerMedia has announced that the latest companies to sign on to distribute HBO Max at launch include Altice USA, Cox Communications, Microsoft, National Cable Television Cooperative (NCTC), Samsung, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Verizon.
News categories: WarnerMedia, HBO Max, Rich Warren, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Games Console, IPTV, OTT, USA
Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free
May 20, 2020 – Tru Optik is making its OTT campaign-measurement service available for free. Tru Optik’s Cross-Screen Audience Validation (CAV) is purpose-built to deliver unbiased real-time OTT campaign measurement.
News categories: Tru Optik, Andre Swanston, David Wiesenfeld, Advertising, Big Data, OTT, USA
IFA 2020 to go-ahead as an invitation-only event in Berlin
May 19, 2020 – IFA has been given the go-ahead to take place in 2020 as a real-life event in Berlin. Taking place over just three days – from 3 to 5 September – the invite-only event will put strict limits on the number of attendees and focus on IFA’s four global core functions.
News categories: IFA Berlin, Jens Heithecker, COVID-19, Digital TV, Germany, IFA2020
Astro Malaysia makes Ultra Box available to IPTV customers
May 19, 2020 – Astro Malaysia has announced that its Ultra Box is now available to Astro IPTV customers on fibre. The Ultra experience includes 4K UHD, Cloud Recording and a new user interface that is seamless across device screens.
News categories: Astro, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Malaysia, Set Top Box, UX
67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
May 19, 2020 – New research from Parks Associates finds 67% of US broadband households own and use at least one internet-connected video device, either a smart TV, streaming media player, internet-connected gaming console, or connected PVR/DVR.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVR, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
RAI ready to re-open with social distancing
May 12, 2020 – RAI Amsterdam is hoping to re-open its doors in the short term while closely following all guidelines regarding social distancing. The RAI wishes to organise trial events to test the various ways that visitors and exhibitors can be safely brought together.
News categories: RAI, Paul Riemens, Digital TV, IBC2020, Netherlands
Joyn chooses Mixpanel for user analytics
May 7, 2020 – German streaming service, Joyn, has selected Mixpanel to analyze user behavior. Mixpanel's product analytics allows teams to analyze how and why their users engage, convert, and remain in real-time across devices to improve user experience.
News categories: Mixpanel, Joyn, Neil Rahilly, Christoph Wiese, Big Data, Digital TV, Germany, OTT, QoE
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months
- Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
- SpotX expands Measurement and Attribution Suite
- Nordic video markets riding high
- WarnerMedia announces further launch partners for HBO Max
- Tru Optik offers cross-device OTT measurement for free