Digital TV News: GOtv
M-Net unveils GoTV DTT service for South Africa
Feb 3, 2016 – M-Net has unveiled its digital terrestrial television service for South Africa, called GOtv. GOtv will use digital network towers throughout South Africa and customers will need a decoder to access the signal.
News categories: M-Net, GOtv, Yolisa Phahle, Tsabiso Letsoela, Digital TV, Set Top Box, South Africa, Terrestrial
CANAL+ partners with ENENSYS for sub-Saharan Africa DTT rollout
Sep 23, 2015 – ENENSYS has announced that it has been selected by CANAL+ Overseas as a technology partner for the rollout of the broadcaster’s DTT platform in Africa. TNT Africa is designed to work alongside its existing DTH service Les Bouquets Canal+.
News categories: ENENSYS, CANAL+ Overseas, Emmanuel Jacques, Africa, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Terrestrial
Pan-African pay TV platforms set to boom
Sep 16, 2015 – Pan-African pay TV platforms are set to boom, according to Digital TV Research. Pay DTT platform GOtv will gain 5.84 million subs between 2014 and 2020 to reach 7.50 million – more than quadruple its 2014 total.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Africa, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Middle-East, Poland, Russia, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Turkey
Pay TV in 21% of TV households in East Africa
Jul 31, 2015 – According to research by Dataxis, in the five countries of the East African Community (EAC), DTT had an overall 53% share of pay TV users, followed by DTH with 43% and the remainder on CATV systems in Kenya and Tanzania.
News categories: Dataxis, Burundi, Cable TV, Digital TV, Kenya, Market Research, Rwanda, Satellite, Subscribers, Tanzania, Terrestrial, Uganda
Zambian pay TV revenues to rise with advent of new DTT bouquet
Jul 24, 2015 – The Zambian Pay-TV market saw subscriber revenues total approximately $21.13 million in 2014, growing in value by 121% since 2008. Dataxis forecasts that revenues will grow to $53.26 million by end-2018 with DTT taking an increasing proportion of the total.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Terrestrial, Zambia
Satellite dominates Sub-Saharan Africa pay TV revenues
Jan 14, 2015 – Pay TV revenues in Sub-Saharan Africa will reach $6.22 billion in 2020, up from $3.54 billion in 2014 and $1.92 billion in 2010, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial
GOtv Kenya launches GOcard CAM with NEOTION
Apr 16, 2014 – GOtv, the leading DTT pay television service in Kenya, in partnership with Neotion has announced the launch of its GOCard conditional access module (CAM).
News categories: GOtv, Neotion, Felix Kyengo, Stéphanie Bizouerne, Digital TV, DVB-T2, Kenya, Smart card / CAM, Terrestrial
MultiChoice selects Clearleap to accelerate multiscreen strategy
Apr 16, 2014 – Clearleap has been selected by MultiChoice to accelerate its multiscreen strategy and provide efficient management and delivery of its television content over both IP network and traditional pay-TV networks.
News categories: Clearleap, MultiChoice, Gerdus Van Eeden, Braxton Jarratt, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, South Africa
MultiChoice expands DTT distribution in Sub-Saharan Africa with Intelsat
Apr 9, 2014 – Intelsat (NYSE: I) has announced that African direct-to-home operator, MultiChoice, is leveraging Intelsat capacity to expand the reach of its digital terrestrial television (DTT) offering in Sub-Saharan Africa.
News categories: Intelsat, MultiChoice, Nico Meyer, Grant Marais, Ghana, Infrastructure, Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Satellite, Terrestrial, Uganda, Zambia
- Time spent watching TV went up in Italy and France in 2015
- Verizon FIOS video subscribers down 41,000 in 2Q 2016
- EU accepts commitments by Paramount on cross-border pay-TV services
- Wurl launches the world’s first streaming cable TV network
- C Spire first to use MobiTV TV Everywhere platform
- Philippines' Sky Cable adds PPV to online offering
- DIRECTV up 342k; U-Verse down 391k; DTVLA up 87k subscribers in 2Q 2016
- Comcast unveils plans to roll out Xfinity prepaid services
- Rogers TV subscribers down 23,000 in 2Q 2016
- CAST introduces Ultra HD-capable video compression cores
- DISH Network TV subscribers decline 281,000 in Q2 2016
- Pay-TV and VOD revenues to hit €3bn in German-speaking territories
- Millicom cable RGUs up 41,000 in 2Q 2016
- 59% of U.S. households have an SVOD service
- TV display supply shortage could continue into Q3
- Rohde & Schwarz to install DVB-T2 network in Oman
- TalkTalk TV subscribers down 23,000 in Q2 2016
- China’s online video market to quadruple
- 55% of U.S. OTT services are subscription-only
- TELUS first to launch 4K TV in Western Canada