Digital TV News: GfK
Germans watching more than 5 hours of video and TV each day
Jan 22, 2019 – According to VAUNET's Media Usage Analysis, during 2018 audiovisual media usage by Germans rose to over nine hours a day for the first time. Radio and TV continued to be by far the most frequently consumed types of media.
News categories: VAUNET, Dr. Harald Flemming, Frank Giersberg, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, Mobile
Global market for technical consumer goods exceeded €1 trillion in 2018
Jan 7, 2019 – According to GfK, the global market for technical consumer goods (TCG) exceeded the one-trillion mark for the first time in 2018 with sales of €1.01 trillion. This is a four percent increase on the previous year.
News categories: GfK, Markus Kick, CES, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, Smart TV, Worldwide
Freeview Play devices sold in UK reach five million
Dec 19, 2018 – Freeview and Digital UK have announced that the total number of Freeview Play devices sold in the UK has now surpassed five million. Freeview Play was launched in 2015 to provide viewers of the UK’s favourite TV platform with access to live, catch up and on-demand programming.
News categories: Digital UK, Freeview, Jonathan Thompson, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Terrestrial, UK
High-end TVs dragging the market upwards
Aug 29, 2018 – In the first half of 2018, GfK recorded total sales of €45 billion for the global market for televisions (TV). That is about one percent more than in the same period last year, spurred by this year’s FIFA World Cup in Russia.
News categories: GfK, Digital TV, IFA2019, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
71% of US consumers have a TV cord and plan to keep it
Aug 27, 2018 – While cord cutting and shaving may be challenges for pay-TV providers, the vast majority of US consumers still say they are not ready to give up on these proven and deeply established sources of entertainment, according to GfK MRI research.
News categories: GfK MRI, Amy Hunt, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, USA
One-third of US consumers own two or more smart home devices
Mar 20, 2018 – New GfK research shows that nearly six-in-ten (58%) of US consumers say Smart Home – defined as a 'smart house in which most things are interconnected' – is likely to change their lives in the next few years.
News categories: GfK, Tom Neri, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
MMS and GfK launch Total Video Ad Ratings in Sweden
Nov 10, 2017 – Following on from the digital ad ratings service launched earlier this year, MMS and GfK have now extended the platform into a Total Video service. The enlarged service enables the market to measure the return-on-investment of video advertisement cross-platform on linear TV, Smart TV, PC, Smartphone and Tablet devices.
News categories: GfK, MMS, Lydia Irving, Magnus Anshelm, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Mobile, Sweden
Australian home video consumption benefits from drop in piracy
Nov 1, 2017 – Data released by the Australian Home Entertainment Distributors Association (AHEDA) indicates that in-home consumption of video has benefited from industry efforts to combat film and TV piracy.
News categories: AHEDA, GfK, Simon Bush, Australia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Market Research
More than half of Smart HD TVs sold in the UK have Freeview Play
Jul 31, 2017 – Freeview has announced that Freeview Play TVs account for more than half of all Smart HD TV sales in the UK. In June, 55% of Smart HD TVs sold were Freeview Play enabled, a rise of 20 percentage points since January 2017.
News categories: Freeview, Guy North, Dan Hastings, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, Smart TV, UK
- Czech Television completes transition to DVB-T2 with Synamedia
- Thomson Broadcast and Viaccess-Orca secure DTT deployment in Mali
- Irdeto, Amlogic and Skyworth launch Android TV hybrid STB reference design
- NAGRA and KAON introduce Android TV streaming solution for pay-TV operators
- NAGRA, SDMC and Amlogic offer Android TV solution for pay-TV operators
- TRAI issues consultation paper on STB interoperability implementation
- Beenius signs reseller agreement for Caribbean and LatAm markets
- BBC explores targeting of promotional content using Sky technology
- Disney+ expected to reach 101 million subscribers
- Looper Insights adds set-top box VOD store content visibility
- MediaTek 8K DTV SoC begins volume production at TSMC
- BC Partners-owned United Group acquires Vivacom
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers up 148,000 in 3Q 2019
- Wurl extends its Samsung TV Plus footprint to Europe
- Maxis launches PAYG passes for VOD streaming
- Liberty Latin America sells Cable & Wireless Seychelles
- U.S. pay TV household penetration down to 75%
- Extreme Reach and Verance partner on reporting for Addressable TV
- NBA TV becomes 1st league network to launch SVOD service
- Openview renews satellite TV content protection with NAGRA