Digital TV News: Google
Google announces Nexus Player Android TV box
Oct 15, 2014 – In an update to its Android portfolio, Google has announced its Nexus Player, the first device running Android TV. Nexus Player, a collaboration with Asus, is a streaming media player for movies, music and videos.
News categories: Google, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA
Global connected TV device installed base hits half a billion units in Q2 2014
Oct 2, 2014 – Worldwide ownership of Connected TV Devices (including smart TVs, smart blu-ray players, IP-enabled game consoles and digital media streamers) grew 7 percent quarter-on-quarter in Q2 2014 to reach 500 million units according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Iliad's Freebox v7 may be based on Android TV
Sep 24, 2014 – According to FRAndroid, the next Free set-top box, Freebox v7, could be based on Google's Android TV. ILIAD, the parent company of Free, has already indicated that the v7 box would be available in 2015.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
iWedia software for Bouygues Telecom Android TV STB
Sep 11, 2014 – iWedia has announced that the Android TV STB (codenamed 'Miami') recently announced by French telco Bouygues Telecom is operated by iWedia’s Teatro-3.5 software based on its ANDROID4TV framework and APIs.
News categories: iWedia, Bouygues Telecom, Nikola Teslić, Pierre Schaller, Digital TV, France, IBCShow, IPTV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
OTT to reach nearly half the world’s TV households by 2020
Sep 9, 2014 – The number of households watching online TV and video will reach 706.53 million in 2020, up from 196.90 million in 2010 and the 374.43 million expected in 2014, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Tuxera releases streaming SDK for Android and iOS
Sep 5, 2014 – Tuxera has announced its cross-platform content streaming solution AllConnect SDK is now available for evaluation. AllConnect is compatible with all devices that support Apple Airplay, Google Chromecast, DIAL or DLNA standards.
News categories: Tuxera, Claudio Camacho, Mikko Välimäki, Apps, Digital TV, DLNA, Games Console, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Haier selects SERAPHIC TV browser for Connected TVs in Europe
Sep 5, 2014 – Haier has announced that it has teamed up with SERAPHIC in order to deploy SERAPHIC’s Blink-based Sraf TV Browser in its new range of connected TVs in Europe.
News categories: SERAPHIC, Haier, Christophe Chancenest, Ye Wang, Apps, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, HTML5, IFA, Smart TV
US adds 6 million streaming media players over past year
Sep 4, 2014 – Streaming media players were added to 6 million U.S. homes over the past year, increasing ownership penetration to 17 percent of U.S. Internet households in the second quarter (Q2) of 2014, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
DNA Welho OTT has 100,000 subscribers in Finland
Sep 4, 2014 – Finland's DNA Welho has announced that its MatkaTV service now has 100,000 subscribers. MatkaTV users may now also take advantage of the Chromecast media player to view recordings and TV channels on their TV screen.
News categories: DNA Welho, Jarno Haikonen, Digital TV, Finland, OTT, Subscribers
- Global pay TV market to generate $269 billion in 2014
- Comcast video subscribers down 81,000 in 3Q 2014
- Trustonic selected by TCL Mobile to secure mobile devices
- Rabbit TV to distribute free HDTV antennas
- Canal Digital taps Xstream for iPad TVE app
- AT&T adds 216,000 U-verse TV subscribers in 3Q 2014
- HD and VOD feed Latin America's pay TV growth
- Pace achieves Minerva certification for IPTV STBs
- FUTURECAST ATSC 3.0 physical layer tested in Wisconsin
- SoftAtHome integrates Z-Wave networking with Sigma Designs
- Express-AM6 DTH satellite put into orbit over Russia
- Broadcom reports third quarter 2014 results
- Broadpeak Quality of Experience agent integrated with Zenterio OS
- Time Warner Cable rolls-out new DVR in New York and LA
- 64% of U.S. broadband households have Internet-connected CE
- Actions Semi debuts SoC for tablets and OTT set-tops
- Broadcom introduces G.fast SoC for home gateways
- Demand for pay TV video encoders on the rise
- Verizon adds 114,000 video subscribers in 3Q 2014
- Huawei licenses Frog by Wyplay STB middleware