Digital TV News: Google
Broadband Forum brings IoT home with new USP standard
Apr 17, 2018 – The Broadband Forum has published its User Services Platform (USP) – a new standard for implementing, deploying and managing all types of devices in the broadband home.
News categories: Broadband Forum, Barbara Stark, Robin Mersh, John Blackford, Jason Walls, Digital TV, Gateway, Smart Home, Worldwide
Com Hem deploys hybrid Android TV STB based on 3READY Operator Tier
Apr 13, 2018 – 3 Screen Solutions (3SS) has announced that Com Hem has selected the 3SS 3READY Android TV Client with custom launcher to power its new Android TV UHD-4K Hybrid STB, the Com Hem Tv Hub
News categories: 3 Screen Solutions, Com Hem, Kai-Christian Borchers, Thomas Helbo, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Sweden, UX
Com Hem and Boxer launch Android TV-based Tv Hub
Apr 12, 2018 – Com Hem has launched its Android TV-based platform Tv Hub, for both Com Hem and Boxer customers. The Tv Hub combines linear TV with play services in HDR and 4K quality. The Tv Hub was designed with partners such as Google, Technicolor and 3SS.
News categories: Com Hem, Jessica Andersson, Maria Ferreras, Marec-Nicholas Gasiun, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Sweden, Terrestrial
VIZIO unveils next era of Smart TV with launch of 2018 SmartCast OS
Apr 10, 2018 – VIZIO has unveiled its 2018 SmartCast OS. SmartCast OS brings popular apps to the TV screen for easy access, serves as the ideal smart home companion with voice support for Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant and grants access to thousands of Google Chromecast-enabled apps.
News categories: VIZIO, Bill Baxter, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
AR and VR consumer content and apps market at $3.2 billion in 2017
Apr 10, 2018 – There was good progress in the combined virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) market in 2017, as a growing user base invested in more content, apps and out-of-home VR entertainment, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Piers Harding-Rolls, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Massive and Evergent offer MVPDs turnkey OTT via Google Cloud
Apr 6, 2018 – Massive and Evergent, with Google Cloud, have announced a collaboration to create a solution that will enable MVPDs to offer competitive 'a-la-carte' content bundles to their customers.
News categories: Massive Interactive, Evergent, Alex Drosin, Vijay Sajja, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, UX, Worldwide
BBC deploys BuyDRM to secure premium digital content
Apr 5, 2018 – BuyDRM has announced that the UK’s BBC has deployed the KeyOS MultiKey DRM Service as part of their BBC iPlayer App. The offering powers the BBC iPlayer app that allows users to download or view offline content on MacOS and Windows clients.
News categories: BuyDRM, Widevine, BBC, Christopher Levy, Brian Baker, Digital TV, DRM, OTT, UK
TV could be catalyst for voice shopping, Connekt study finds
Apr 5, 2018 – A study by Connekt suggests TV could be the missing link to spur voice purchases using voice-controlled devices such as Amazon’s Echo and Google Home. The study finds consumers are strongly interested in using them to buy items that appear on the screen as they’re watching TV.
News categories: Connekt, Tripp Boyle, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
433.1 million smart home devices shipped worldwide in 2017
Mar 29, 2018 – According to IDC, in 2017, 433.1 million smart home devices were shipped worldwide, growing 27.6% from the previous year. Looking ahead, IDC anticipates a CAGR of 18.5% as the market balloons to 939.7 million devices shipped in 2022.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Adam Wright, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
- Pay TV/OTT and Telecom operator revenue reached $410 billion in Q4 2017
- Samsung took over no. 1 slot in semiconductor revenue in 2017
- Revenues at top 10 pay TV operators to drop $20 billion
- TELUS launches 4K HDR TV -- a first in Canada
- NBCUniversal to license its Audience Graph to OpenAP
- Arianespace wins contract for BSAT-4b
- AT&T withdraws Latin America IPO
- Mobile screens essential for Live TV services, finds Strategy Analytics
- Amazon to sell Fire TV Edition Smart TVs through Best Buy
- Broadpeak optimizes video delivery for HBO Latin America
- Broadband Forum brings IoT home with new USP standard
- ADB provides gateway to Netia in Poland
- ESPN+ streaming now available on Roku devices
- Global pay TV revenues to fall by 11%
- Latin America had 18.2 million SVOD subscribers at end-2017
- Amazon Prime Video accessible on Partner TV STBs in Israel
- Com Hem deploys hybrid Android TV STB based on 3READY Operator Tier
- Comcast to offer Netflix as part of Xfinity packages
- 37 million pay TV subscribers for Sub-Saharan Africa in 2023
- 9.5 million watching online and catch-up TV daily in France