Digital TV News: Google
PlayStation Vue available on Sony Android TVs
Oct 27, 2016 – Sony has announced that the Internet-based live TV service PlayStation Vue is now available on all Sony's premium Android TVs. PlayStation Vue allows consumers to watch their live TV, movies and sports content without a cable or satellite subscription.
News categories: Sony Electronics, PlayStation, Mike Fasulo, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Verizon Digital Media Services powers Newsy OTT content
Oct 19, 2016 – Verizon Digital Media Services has announced that it is powering the streaming and syndication of linear and on-demand video content for Newsy, an OTT news network delivering the day's top stories to news consumers.
News categories: Verizon Digital Media Services, Newsy, Ralf Jacob, Blake Sabatinelli, Digital TV, Infrastructure, OTT, USA
Cogeco Connexion deploys on-demand TV with SeaChange
Oct 17, 2016 – SeaChange (NASDAQ:SEAC) has announced that Cogeco Connexion has rolled out its latest generation of on-demand television services on the SeaChange Adrenalin multiscreen television platform.
News categories: SeaChange, Cogeco, Ed Terino, Daniel Boisvert, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, Infrastructure
ZTE to launch 4K Android STB at Broadband World Forum 2016
Oct 13, 2016 – At Broadband World Forum 2016, ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) will unveil its 4K-capable Android TV set-top-box (ZXV10 B860H) which aims to deliver an exceptional TV viewing experience to home users around the world.
News categories: ZTE, Fang Hui, BBWF, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
2.5 million Australian households to have VR headsets by 2020
Oct 13, 2016 – Demand by video gamers is expected to drive a boom in VR headset sales in Australia throughout the holiday season, according to a study from emerging technology analyst firm Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, VR
Consumer spending on VR to hit $3.3 billion by 2020
Oct 6, 2016 – Aggressive promotional activity from smartphone vendors and the launch of premium smartphone VR solutions will help drive the installed base of VR headsets from 4 million in 2015 to 81 million in 2020, according to IHS Markit.
News categories: IHS Markit, Piers Harding-Rolls, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Annual VR hardware revenues to pass $50 billion by 2021
Oct 4, 2016 – A Juniper Research study has found that hardware revenues from VR (Virtual Reality) headsets, peripherals and 360° cameras will reach over $50 billion by 2021, up tenfold from an estimated $5 billion in sales this year.
News categories: Juniper Research, Joe Crabtree, Digital TV, Hardware, Market Research, Mobile, VR, Worldwide
Xiaomi brings 4K Mi Box to the US
Oct 3, 2016 – Xiaomi has announced that it is bringing Mi Box — its 4K Ultra HD streaming media player powered by Google's Android TV — to the U.S. market for $69. Mi Box will be available on Mi.com and in Walmart stores as well as Walmart.com.
News categories: Xiaomi, Hugo Barra, Sascha Prueter, Roger Lynch, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Sky launches Sky VR App
Oct 3, 2016 – Sky has announced the launch of Sky VR. The app, available for free download, showcases a range of immersive, 360-degree videos from Sky, and content from Sky’s partners.
News categories: BSkyB, Gary Davey, Stephen Nuttall, Apps, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, UK, VR
- PlayStation Vue available on Sony Android TVs
- Telefonica pay TV subscribers down 25k in 3Q 2016
- A fifth of Latin America's homes to pay for SVOD
- Videocon d2h adds 0.23 million net subscribers in 3Q 2016
- Ooyala providing Ad-Tech for Vudu Movies on Us
- TVision raises $6.8m for attention-based ad measurement
- Roku partners with comScore for video ad measurement
- Comcast video subscribers up 32,000 in 3Q 2016
- Montage Technology standardises on Arteris interconnect IP for STB SoCs
- First live ATSC 3.0 broadcast of a major professional sporting event
- Netflix retains top position in US OTT
- Millicom cable RGUs up 94,000 in 3Q 2016
- Satellite TV now in 8.4 million Italian homes
- Allegro DVT releases multi-codec verification coverage tool
- CRTC releases report on the broadcasting sector in Canada
- Airtel Digital TV adds 256,000 subscribers in 3Q 2016
- Telia deploys ARRIS IPTV STBs in Sweden and Finland
- ICFLIX launches on Xbox One console
- Audiovisual media revenues in Germany to pass €11bn this year
- DIRECTV up 323k; U-Verse down 326k; DTVLA down 48k subscribers in 3Q 2016