Digital TV News: Google
Smart speakers are popular, but not for controlling connected home devices
Jun 19, 2018 – According to an IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO) survey of consumers in the U.S., UK, Japan, Germany and Brazil, the predominant uses of smart speakers revolve around asking questions, checking the weather, listening to news and playing music.
News categories: IHS Markit, Blake Kozak, Brazil, Digital TV, Germany, Japan, Market Research, Smart Home, UK, USA
Global OTT video subscriptions to pass 400 million in 2022
Jun 13, 2018 – According to Parks Associates, the number of households worldwide with an OTT video service subscription will exceed 265 million by 2022. The popularity of OTT has driven a steady increase in adoption of smart TVs and streaming media players since 2010.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Jennifer Kent, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Wyplay introduces an Android TV Operator Tier Launcher
Jun 13, 2018 – Wyplay has announced the introduction of an Android TV Operator Tier Launcher as part of its existing suite of user experience products. The Operator Tier Launcher has been added to Wyplay’s Linux, iOS and Android applications.
News categories: Wyplay, Jacques Bourgninaud, ANGACOM2018, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, UX, Worldwide
Channel 4 becomes first UK broadcaster to partner with Google Assistant
Jun 12, 2018 – Channel 4 has announced that 'All 4' viewers can now ask Google Assistant to play shows from All 4 on Chromecast, from their Google Home and Google Home Mini: a first for a UK on-demand TV service.
News categories: Channel 4, Google, Carl Pfeiffer, Edward Kenney, Digital TV, OTT, Smart Home, UK, UX
Eurofins to provide testing and validation for Com Hem's Android TV STB
Jun 12, 2018 – At ANGA COM 2018, Eurofins Digital Testing has announced that it has been selected by Com Hem to provide automated testing and service validation for Com Hem's Tv Hub. Tv Hub is an Android TV Ultra HD/4K Hybrid STB.
News categories: Eurofins Digital Testing, Com Hem, Johan Craeybeckx, Thomas Helbo, ANGACOM2018, Digital TV, QoE, Set Top Box, Sweden
German VOD revenues growing faster than ever
Jun 11, 2018 – At the end of 2017, 18% of all German households were subscribing to at least one paid-for VOD service. The market appears to be on an unabated growth trajectory and the boom is seeing revenues soar through the roof.
News categories: Goldmedia, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, OTT
Nearly 40% of U.S. broadband households own a streaming media player
May 31, 2018 – Parks Associates has announced research showing that ownership of streaming media players has risen from about six percent of U.S. broadband households in 2010 to almost 40% at the beginning of 2018.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Kwesé iflix launches in Zimbabwe
May 31, 2018 – Kwesé iflix has launched an entertainment platform that will bring live coverage of all 64 FIFA 2018 World Cup games, and thousands of premier entertainment programmes, to millions of Zimbabweans via its new mobile app.
News categories: Kwesé, iflix, Econet Wireless, Kwesé iflix, Joseph Hundah, Mark Britt, Douglas Mboweni, Apps, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, Zimbabwe
Telenor, Huawei and WowBox launch video streaming app in Myanmar
May 29, 2018 – Telenor Myanmar, in cooperation with Huawei and WowBox, has launched a video streaming application intended to leverage each parties’ capabilities in innovation, network and technology. The Android application is named WowPlay.
News categories: Telenor, Huawei, Joslin Myrthong, Wen Tao, Apps, Digital TV, Myanmar, OTT
- Smart speakers are popular, but not for controlling connected home devices
- Tata Sky selects ThinkAnalytics for live and on-demand personalized content discovery
- Nielsen and FreeWheel partner on OTT and STB VOD measurement
- BrightLine enables inclusion of voice assistant prompts in OTT ads
- Tru Optik releases measurement and validation service for targeted OTT advertising
- Virgin Media expands Netflix partnership with single billing
- Screen size and picture quality drive replacement TV purchases in U.S.
- Intelsat and Globo to demonstrate 8K during the World Cup
- Comcast's proposed acquisition of Sky cleared under EU merger rules
- AT&T completes acquisition of Time Warner Inc.
- Sony Crackle selects Nielsen for addressable advertising
- Beltelecom expands ZALA service to include STBs with SmartLabs
- Vewd enables iVideoSmart partners to launch on smart TV devices
- adsquare audience platform enriched with PeerLogix OTT viewing data
- Global OTT video subscriptions to pass 400 million in 2022
- Wyplay introduces an Android TV Operator Tier Launcher
- BrightBlue and Amino team up for rapid IPTV service rollout
- Pay TV subscribers in LatAm expected to grow to 79.3 million in 2023
- Magyar Telekom deploys Harmonic encoding solution for its IPTV service
- European Commission to investigate proposed acquisition of Tele2 NL by T-Mobile