Digital TV News: Google
The world’s love affair with the TV may be coming to an end
Apr 13, 2015 – The television’s popularity as the go-to entertainment device may be ending, according to Accenture (NYSE: ACN). In their survey, television saw uniform, double-digit usage declines among viewers of nearly all ages.
News categories: Accenture, Gavin Mann, Digital TV, Market Research, Worldwide
thePlatform selected for Australia's 'Stan' SVOD
Mar 31, 2015 – thePlatform has announced that it has been selected by Stan, the joint venture between Nine Entertainment and Fairfax Media, to provide back-end video services for the Australian subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) service.
News categories: thePlatform, Stan, Marty Roberts, Mike Sneesby, Australia, Digital TV, Infrastructure, Multiscreen, OTT
Lukup Media partners with Widevine for multiscreen TV
Mar 26, 2015 – Lukup Media has announced an association with Google to bolster delivery of secure content to viewers. Lukup Media is the first service provider to bring Google Widevine DRM to set top boxes and home media hubs in India.
News categories: Lukup Media, Widevine, Kallol Borah, Content Protection, Digital TV, DRM, India, Multiscreen, OTT
EE Film Club launches in the UK with Wuaki
Mar 18, 2015 – EE has announced that all new and existing customers – on EE, Orange, T-Mobile and broadband plans – will have access to a blockbuster film rental every week for just £1 with leading digital entertainment streaming service Wuaki.tv.
News categories: EE, Wuaki.tv, Pippa Dunn, Vincent Petersen, Digital TV, OTT, UK
7% of U.S. broadband households planning to cancel pay TV
Mar 12, 2015 – Parks Associates has released reports suggesting that the number of potential cord-cutters in the U.S. has increased, reaching 7% of U.S. broadband households with a pay-TV service.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Barbara Kraus, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Broadcom powers Free's Android TV 4K set-top box
Mar 11, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced that it is powering the first Ultra HD Android TV set-top box. Offered by Free, the Freebox STB delivers a suite of streaming, terrestrial, on-demand and recorded content at up to four times the resolution of current HD television.
News categories: Broadcom, Free, Rich Nelson, Sebastien Boutruche, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
France's Free launches first Android TV 4K STB and gateway
Mar 10, 2015 – Free, a subsidiary of France's Iliad Group, has announced the launch of its 'Freebox mini 4K' the world's first Ultra HD gateway/set-top box combination to run Android TV. Designed by Free's own Freebox R&D team, the gateway consists of two units - a Server and a Player.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, Gateway, Home Networking, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
NVIDIA launches its first living-room entertainment device
Mar 4, 2015 – NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) has introduced NVIDIA® SHIELD™, the world's first Android™ TV console, which delivers video, music, apps and games to the home. SHIELD can play 4K video content and includes access to Google Voice Search and Android's app ecosystem.
News categories: NVIDIA, Jen-Hsun Huang, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA
Broadcom adds two Ultra HD SoCs with MoCA 2.0
Mar 2, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced two new Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD) system-on-chip (SoC) devices that integrate the advanced Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) 2.0 standard for cable home networking.
News categories: Broadcom, John H. Gleiter, Digital TV, Gateway, ICs, MoCA, Semiconductor, USA, Worldwide
- HUMAX joins Frog by Wyplay
- One million IPTV customers for Bell Canada
- South Africa's digital TV transition 18 months from completion
- Video infrastructure markets to grow 37% over the next 5 year
- Wiztivi joins the RDK community
- TIM and Sky launch fibre-optic TV in Italy
- SmartLabs enables multiscreen service for Beltelecom
- Amino certified for YouTube on TV on latest IPTV/OTT device range
- Chips&Media releases HEVC/VP9 decoder IP with 10bit support
- Windstream launches Kinetic TV in Lincoln, Nebraska
- Rovi to power DISH's voice-based TV interface
- SES and partners announce SAT>IP Alliance
- DISH first with whole-home Netflix experience
- Swisscom TV 2.0 brings HbbTV to SRG SSR channels
- 342 million Connected Automotive Infotainment Systems to ship between 2015 and 2020
- Prodea shows home connected with Eutelsat SmartLNB
- Broadcom cable SoCs DivX Certified for HEVC Ultra HD
- Russia's CTC Media launches free movie streaming
- Technicolor offers HDR grading services and software licensing
- ViXS extends professional decoder lineup with HDR and UHD 12-bit colour