Digital TV News: Google
Fifth of Europe's TV homes to subscribe to online packages by 2020
Aug 27, 2014 – The number of European homes paying a monthly subscription to receive subscription video on demand packages will climb from 1.78 million in 2010 to 59.41 million in 2020, according to a report from Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV, Digital TV Research Reports, Europe, Market Research, OTT
Elemental powers Deutsche Glasfaser linear and multiscreen TV
Aug 25, 2014 – Elemental has announced that Deutsche Glasfaser, a fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) network provider, is using Elemental video processing for delivery of linear TV, radio, video-on-demand (VOD) and multiscreen services to regional subscribers in Germany.
News categories: Elemental, Deutsche Glasfaser, Niels Jonkman, John Nemeth, Digital TV, Fibre, Germany, IBCShow, Infrastructure, IPTV, Multiscreen
Consumers' desire to stream video content on TV drives device purchases
Aug 6, 2014 – The most important determining factor among consumers in purchasing a new TV or video device is the ability for it to connect to the Internet and stream content, a U.S. study for the Council for Research Excellence (CRE) has found.
News categories: Council for Research Excellence, Bryon Schafer, Laura Cowan, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Tablet, USA
Apple TV sales slowing in crowded OTT field
Aug 5, 2014 – Apple TV sales growth has slowed significantly this year, down to a 12 percent annual growth rate at an estimated 1.9 million units sold in Q2 2014 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Netflix adds 1.69 million members in 2Q 2014
Jul 22, 2014 – Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) has released its second-quarter 2014 financial results. The U.S. member base grew to more than 36 million. Outside the U.S. the company ended Q2 with 13.8 million members, growing 78% y/y.
News categories: Netflix, Cable TV, Europe, Latin America, Middleware, Results, Set Top Box, Subscribers, USA
VeriSilicon introduces Hantro H2 HEVC encoder semiconductor IP
Jul 15, 2014 – VeriSilicon has announced its next-generation Hantro H2 HEVC video encoder IP. Hantro H2 builds on the success of VeriSilicon’s Hantro H1 encoder IP, bringing ultra-high definition (UHD) and 4K resolution video encoding capability to the HEVC video format.
News categories: VeriSilicon, Dr. Wayne Dai, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Global connected TV device ownership passes 1 billion units
Jul 9, 2014 – The global installed base of Connected TV devices (including Smart TVs, Games Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Digital Media Adapters and Set-Top Boxes) will double over the next 5 years exceeding 2 billion units by 2018 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Roku leads U.S. streaming media player market
Jul 9, 2014 – Parks Associates has announced a report showing that more than 25% of U.S. households will have a streaming media player by 2015, with continued robust sales and new entries such as Amazon Fire TV driving expansion of this connected CE category.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
Google adds TV device support to Android
Jun 25, 2014 – At Google I/O, Google announced the addition of TV to the platforms supported by its Android operating system. Example devices include TVs, media streamers, connected set-top boxes and micro consoles.
News categories: Android, Digital TV, Games Console, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- AirTies and Norigin Media to launch STB with OTT apps and casting
- Afghanistan officially launches digital TV broadcasting
- Ericsson and Polkomtel test LTE Broadcast in Poland
- MStar Semi first to integrate Irdeto FlexiCore Processor technology
- MStar Semi to integrate Cryptography Research CryptoFirewall Security Core
- Envivio powers Beijing Gehua CATV cloud video service
- Energy efficient set-top boxes saving hundreds of millions of dollars
- More 4K UHD TVs shipped in Q2 2014 than in all 2013
- Spark New Zealand selects OTT platform provider, Xstream
- Videotron releases illico X8 set-top box
- Chunghwa Telecom to conduct 4K HEVC streaming trial with Broadpeak
- Fifth of Europe's TV homes to subscribe to online packages by 2020
- Canada's Rogers and Shaw launch 'shomi' subscription VOD service
- Ecuavisa launches HD DTT with ATEME
- Fujitsu presents HEVC HD decoder SoC
- Estonia's Starman launches TV Everywhere service
- S3 Group unveils StormTest Warning Center
- Albis introduces SceneGate 8073 IPTV/OTT set-top box at IBC
- SmartVOD launches first VOD Hollywood premium service in Africa
- NEOTION and Sat-Trakt launch Cardless CAM in Serbia