Digital TV News: Google
221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
Nov 27, 2015 – Global shipments of connected TV Devices (including Smart TVs, Blu-ray players, Game Consoles and Digital Media Streamers) reached 53 million units in Q3 and are on target to hit 221 million units for the full year, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Chirag Upadhyay, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Google Play Movies & TV coming to LG Smart TVs
Nov 17, 2015 – Starting this month, U.S. owners of LG Smart TVs will be able to enjoy thousands of movies and TV shows through 'Google Play Movies & TV.' Compatible with LG's webOS Smart TV platform, Google Play Movies & TV will offer content in both HD and SD formats.
News categories: LG Electronics, Google, David VanderWaal, Apps, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, UK, USA
Amazon Video now available on UK Roku boxes
Nov 10, 2015 – Roku has announced the launch of Amazon Video on the Roku streaming platform in the UK. Amazon Video offers access to more than 50,000 movies and TV episodes, while Amazon Prime members can stream a library of more than 15,000 movies and TV episodes.
News categories: Roku, Amazon, Apps, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
82% growth expected in U.S. internet-connected TV devices by 2018
Nov 9, 2015 – By the end of 2018, 231 million installed devices are expected to be connected to the Internet and able to deliver apps to TVs, representing 82 percent growth from 2014 to 2018, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD, John Buffone, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Bell becomes Canada's largest TV provider
Nov 4, 2015 – Bell has announced that the popularity of Fibe TV has made Bell TV the largest provider of television services in Canada for the first time, with more than 2.7 million TV customers across the country.
News categories: Bell Canada, George Cope, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Multiscreen, OTT, Subscribers
Xbox and PlayStation most popular online video platforms in the U.S.
Nov 4, 2015 – Research from Parks Associates finds that 21% of U.S. broadband households with at least one Internet-connected CE device use a streaming media player as the primary platform for online video, up from 12% a year ago.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Global streaming media device sales to hit 86 million units in 2019
Oct 22, 2015 – Parks Associates research has found that global annual unit sales for streaming media devices, including both player and stick form factors, will increase from 30 million units in 2013 to 86 million units in 2019.
News categories: Parks Associates, Stuart Sikes, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA, Worldwide
Roku launches streaming players in France
Oct 20, 2015 – Roku has announced that it is launching its streaming players in France. In France, consumers with a Roku streaming player can stream entertainment from 1,500+ streaming channels, including Netflix, Google Play, Spotify, YouTube, Daily Motion, France 24 and soon content will be added from LA VOD videofutur, Deezer, ARTE and others.
News categories: Roku, videofutur, Clive Hudson, Mathias Hautefort, Digital TV, France, OTT, Set Top Box
TabletTV Plus to launch mid-Q4 in the United States
Oct 8, 2015 – Motive Television (AIM: MTV) has announced that Tablet Television, the joint venture between Motive Television and Granite Broadcasting, is launching TabletTV Plus in mid-4th quarter within the United States.
News categories: Motive Television, TabletTV, Granite Broadcasting, Leonard M Fertig, Luc Tomasino, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Tablet, Terrestrial, USA
- PEMRA shortlists 8 companies in DTH licence tender
- 221 million connected TV devices to ship this year
- EMEA UHF spectrum to remain with DTT until at least 2023
- SkyVision launches satellite TV platforms for Africa
- 4K TVs to reach 23% market penetration in 2016
- PS4 sales surpass 30.2 million units worldwide
- Mariner xVu now monitoring over 30 million devices
- Venezuela's Pay TV subscribers up 146,000 in 2Q 2015
- Kyivstar launches IPTV across its FTTB network in Ukraine
- O2 Czech Republic introduces OTT set-top box
- 57% of Western European households own at least one connected CE device
- Active DTH subscribers in India fell 1.41 million in 2Q 2015
- V-Nova powers Real Madrid vs. Barcelona UltraHD broadcast
- FLIX.TV acquires satellite broadcasting licence in the Czech Republic
- Next Step to offer DTH TV platform in Thailand with Intelsat
- CAN Tech and Stream TV partner to provide Glasses-Free 3D content
- Tricolor TV begins broadcasting of Ultra HD package
- DVB approves UHD-1 Phase 2 Commercial Requirements
- Celeno Wi-Fi chips to power Altech gateways and STBs
- Sky unveils Sky Q home entertainment system