Digital TV News: Google
Consumers' desire to stream video content on TV drives device purchases
Aug 6, 2014 – The most important determining factor among consumers in purchasing a new TV or video device is the ability for it to connect to the Internet and stream content, a U.S. study for the Council for Research Excellence (CRE) has found.
News categories: Council for Research Excellence, Bryon Schafer, Laura Cowan, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Tablet, USA
Apple TV sales slowing in crowded OTT field
Aug 5, 2014 – Apple TV sales growth has slowed significantly this year, down to a 12 percent annual growth rate at an estimated 1.9 million units sold in Q2 2014 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Netflix adds 1.69 million members in 2Q 2014
Jul 22, 2014 – Netflix (NASDAQ: NFLX) has released its second-quarter 2014 financial results. The U.S. member base grew to more than 36 million. Outside the U.S. the company ended Q2 with 13.8 million members, growing 78% y/y.
News categories: Netflix, Cable TV, Europe, Latin America, Middleware, Results, Set Top Box, Subscribers, USA
VeriSilicon introduces Hantro H2 HEVC encoder semiconductor IP
Jul 15, 2014 – VeriSilicon has announced its next-generation Hantro H2 HEVC video encoder IP. Hantro H2 builds on the success of VeriSilicon’s Hantro H1 encoder IP, bringing ultra-high definition (UHD) and 4K resolution video encoding capability to the HEVC video format.
News categories: VeriSilicon, Dr. Wayne Dai, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Global connected TV device ownership passes 1 billion units
Jul 9, 2014 – The global installed base of Connected TV devices (including Smart TVs, Games Consoles, Blu-ray Players, Digital Media Adapters and Set-Top Boxes) will double over the next 5 years exceeding 2 billion units by 2018 according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Eric Smith, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Roku leads U.S. streaming media player market
Jul 9, 2014 – Parks Associates has announced a report showing that more than 25% of U.S. households will have a streaming media player by 2015, with continued robust sales and new entries such as Amazon Fire TV driving expansion of this connected CE category.
News categories: Parks Associates, Barbara Kraus, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
Google adds TV device support to Android
Jun 25, 2014 – At Google I/O, Google announced the addition of TV to the platforms supported by its Android operating system. Example devices include TVs, media streamers, connected set-top boxes and micro consoles.
News categories: Android, Digital TV, Games Console, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Qplay adds Chromecast support
Jun 17, 2014 – Qplay has announced support for Google’s Chromecast media streaming device, expanding TV viewing options for bringing infinite Qs of short form video to the masses.
News categories: Qplay, Mike Ramsay, App, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Australia's Presto OTT service to add Chromecast support
Jun 15, 2014 – Following Google’s announcement that Chromecast has gone on sale in Australia, entertainment streaming service Presto has signalled its upcoming availability on Chromecast.
News categories: Presto, Shaun James, Australia, Digital TV, OTT, Placeshifting
- ARRIS gains, Cisco loses in set-top box market
- TV advertising regains its mojo
- NEOTION enlarges CAM portfolio with Verimatrix security
- Conditional access market set to decline
- NTT adds 4K Range Extensions support to H.265/HEVC codec SDK
- TCL announces Roku TV line-up for the U.S.
- Hisense Roku TV H4 series to hit U.S. stores soon
- Over 820 Ultra HD satellite channels worldwide by 2025
- SES wins exploitation rights for two Brazilian orbital positions
- CSTV selects Octoshape to power OTT service for Samsung devices
- SES to deliver DTH services across French-speaking West Africa
- Cable broadband subscribers surpass cable TV subscribers in U.S.
- Mobiles with 4K screens to reach 478m units by 2019
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lose 300k subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Reliance Digital TV subscribers stable at 4.82 million
- MaxLinear introduces ISDB-T USB dongle reference design
- Venezuela adds 170,000 pay TV subscribers in 2Q 2014
- Green Hills deploys APMAX IPTV middleware
- Irdeto reveals FIFA World Cup 2014 pirate streaming figures
- Ittiam makes available H.265/HEVC codec with 422 12-bit support