Digital TV News: Google
Aereo announces Google Cast™ ready date
Apr 10, 2014 – Aereo has announced that its cloud-based antenna and DVR technology would be Google Cast Ready on May 29. Aereo users will be able to download (or update) the Aereo app for Android which will include support for Chromecast.
News categories: Aereo, Apps, Home Networking, Multiscreen, OTT, Terrestrial, USA
Global home network penetration to pass 33% by 2018
Apr 9, 2014 – Worldwide home network penetration is expected to climb from 24.8% in 2013 to 33.2% by 2018, according to ABI Research. Growth is driven by the continued spread of broadband services and demand for multiscreen video.
News categories: ABI Research, Michael Inouye, Sam Rosen, Home Networking, Market Research, Worldwide
Charter announces launch of Charter TV app
Apr 8, 2014 – Charter Communications (NASDAQ: CHTR) has announced the Charter TV App is available to download for free on the Apple iTunes App Store, Amazon Appstore and Android Apps on Google Play.
News categories: Charter Communications, Rich DiGeronimo, Apps, Cable TV, Smartphone, Tablet, TV Everywhere, USA
Swisscom deploys 802.11ac Android IPTV set-top powered by Marvell silicon
Apr 8, 2014 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) has announced its partnership with Swisscom to introduce the industry's first 802.11ac Android IPTV set-top box powered by Marvell's ARMADA® 1500 Plus (88DE3108) system-on-chip (SoC) platform.
News categories: Marvell, Swisscom, Weili Dai, Volker Dietzel, Digital TV, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Switzerland, Wireless
castLabs announces first UltraViolet 1.1 player
Apr 1, 2014 – castLabs has announced the availability of the first UVPlayer supporting the Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem's (DECE) latest UltraViolet 1.1 specification.
News categories: castLabs, Digital TV, DRM, Media Player, NABShow, OTT, Worldwide
TP Vision brings Android Ultra HD TVs to Europe
Mar 27, 2014 – TP Vision has discloses details of its first range of Philips TVs powered by Android. The Full-HD 8100 and 8200 Philips TVs and the Ultra HD 8800 series are powered by Android to make the TV and gaming experience smarter and faster.
News categories: TP Vision, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, Smart TV
DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
Mar 5, 2014 – DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) has announced that its DISH Anywhere™ app is now available for Kindle Fire HDX tablets. The app gives DISH customers the ability to watch live TV, DVR recordings and On Demand titles on-the-go.
News categories: DISH Network, Jimshade Chaudhari, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Tablet, TV Everywhere, USA
VP9 decoder available for Imagination PowerVR Series6 GPUs
Feb 25, 2014 – Imagination Technologies (IMG.L) has announced that a GPU accelerated VP9 software decoder for its PowerVR Series6 Rogue graphics processors (GPUs) is available from partner MulticoreWare.
News categories: Imagination Technologies, MulticoreWare, Peter McGuinness, Matt Frost, Media Player, MWC14, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
TiVo co-founders launch Qplay internet video curation box
Feb 25, 2014 – The co-founders of TiVo have launched Qplay. Qplay lets users curate Internet video across the web and enjoy personalized streams of content called Qs. Viewers just open the Q and video starts to play.
News categories: Qplay, Mike Ramsay, James Barton, Geoff Yang, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
- Motive TV signs software contract with Skyworth
- Univision launches Flama Latin OTT service
- LCD TV growth improving, as plasma and CRT TV disappear
- NAGRA adds multiscreen DRM to DISH/Echostar security
- China Digital TV announces strategic partnership with Beijing Gehua
- RDA Microelectronics announces sampling of Digital TV Tuner IC
- Ziggo digital pay TV subscribers down 16,000 in 1Q 2014
- GOtv Kenya launches GOcard CAM with NEOTION
- WASU content for IMAX-TCL Premium Home Theatre
- ADB provides software and services to O2 Czech Republic
- MultiChoice selects Clearleap to accelerate multiscreen strategy
- ViXS reports fourth quarter and fiscal 2014 results
- US pay TV subscriptions poised for rebound after 2013 decline
- Two European operators select Espial for multiscreen services
- Romania ends 2013 with 6.4 million pay TV subscribers
- Time Warner Cable developing RDK STB with Humax
- Peoples Communication partners with Skitter to bring IPTV to East Texas
- Digital pay TV soars in Eastern Europe
- ALBtelecom launches ALB TV IPTV service in Albania
- Nagra DRM receives DECE approval