Digital TV News: Google
EE Film Club launches in the UK with Wuaki
Mar 18, 2015 – EE has announced that all new and existing customers – on EE, Orange, T-Mobile and broadband plans – will have access to a blockbuster film rental every week for just £1 with leading digital entertainment streaming service Wuaki.tv.
News categories: EE, Wuaki.tv, Pippa Dunn, Vincent Petersen, Digital TV, OTT, UK
7% of U.S. broadband households planning to cancel pay TV
Mar 12, 2015 – Parks Associates has released reports suggesting that the number of potential cord-cutters in the U.S. has increased, reaching 7% of U.S. broadband households with a pay-TV service.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Barbara Kraus, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
Broadcom powers Free's Android TV 4K set-top box
Mar 11, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced that it is powering the first Ultra HD Android TV set-top box. Offered by Free, the Freebox STB delivers a suite of streaming, terrestrial, on-demand and recorded content at up to four times the resolution of current HD television.
News categories: Broadcom, Free, Rich Nelson, Sebastien Boutruche, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
France's Free launches first Android TV 4K STB and gateway
Mar 10, 2015 – Free, a subsidiary of France's Iliad Group, has announced the launch of its 'Freebox mini 4K' the world's first Ultra HD gateway/set-top box combination to run Android TV. Designed by Free's own Freebox R&D team, the gateway consists of two units - a Server and a Player.
News categories: Iliad, Digital TV, France, Gateway, Home Networking, IPTV, Middleware, Set Top Box
NVIDIA launches its first living-room entertainment device
Mar 4, 2015 – NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) has introduced NVIDIA® SHIELD™, the world's first Android™ TV console, which delivers video, music, apps and games to the home. SHIELD can play 4K video content and includes access to Google Voice Search and Android's app ecosystem.
News categories: NVIDIA, Jen-Hsun Huang, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA
Broadcom adds two Ultra HD SoCs with MoCA 2.0
Mar 2, 2015 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced two new Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD) system-on-chip (SoC) devices that integrate the advanced Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) 2.0 standard for cable home networking.
News categories: Broadcom, John H. Gleiter, Digital TV, Gateway, ICs, MoCA, Semiconductor, USA, Worldwide
VeriSilicon introduces multiformat decoder IP with VP9 Profile 2 support
Mar 2, 2015 – VeriSilicon has announced the availability of its Hantro G2v2 Multi-format Decoder IP to support Google’s VP9 Profile 2. This profile was introduced by the WebM project in 2014 to meet the industry’s requirement for higher precision content.
News categories: VeriSilicon, Dr. Wayne Dai, Media Player, MWC, OTT, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Amazon leads Germany's VOD market
Feb 24, 2015 – According to research undertaken by Goldmedia, Amazon Prime Instant Video is the most widely used video-on-demand (VOD) offering in Germany with a share of 33.2 percent. iTunes and Maxdome are in equal second place with 11.3% market share. Netflix is only in fifth place with 8%.
News categories: Goldmedia, Digital TV, Germany, Market Research, OTT
Australia's Presto adds smartphone support
Feb 23, 2015 – Australia's Presto has announced that its movie and TV subscription streaming service has broadened its mobile device compatibility footprint, adding smartphones to the service. Presto can now be viewed on select iPhones and Android handsets.
News categories: Presto, Shaun James, Apps, Australia, OTT, Smartphone
- Dalian Tiantu Cable TV chooses Thomson Video Networks for 4K channel
- HEVC Advance announces HEVC patent pool
- ST showcases DOCSIS and C-DOCSIS 3.0 solutions at CCBN 2015
- Conax establishes Beijing test center
- NTT develops world's first professional 4K H.265/HEVC real time encoder LSI
- Broadcom delivers DOCSIS 3.0 cable set-top box platform for China
- Broadcom launches first HD satellite set-top box SoC for China
- Broadcom enables China's first 4Kp60 STB deployment
- RDA selects Chips&Media HD video IP for mobile and DTV platforms
- iPanel middleware integrated with STMicroelectronics' chipsets
- Global pay TV subscriber base to pass 1.1 Billion in 2020
- Entropic MoCA 1.1 designed into Coship Gateways and Adapters for China
- Guangdong Cable selects NAGRA content protection
- Rochester Telephone Company deploys Inca Networks transcoder
- Astro selects Thomson for DTH, IPTV and OTT expansion
- STMicroelectronics announces Ultra-HDp60 STB SoCs for the China market
- World’s smallest STB tuner ICs with integrated loop-through
- FreeTV Alliance releases common Remote Control Specification
- StarTimes deploys Conax-certified ALi-based set-top boxes
- North America's traditional pay TV revenues to fall by 11.7%