Digital TV News: Google
Sky Deutschland selects INSIDE Secure player for Apple TV app
Jul 12, 2016 – INSIDE Secure (Paris:INSD) has announced that its secured player technology has been selected by Sky Deutschland for the new Sky Online streaming service for the fourth generation of Apple TV.
News categories: INSIDE Secure, Sky Deutschland, Andrew McLennan, Mauro Di Pietro Paolo, Austria, DRM, Germany, Media Player, Set Top Box, TV Everywhere
Fox launches live primetime streaming in beta
Jul 12, 2016 – FOX has launched live streaming on its digital platforms, offering viewers access to a simulcast of the network’s primetime entertainment programming via FOX.com and FOX NOW for iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, Apple TV and Google Chromecast.
News categories: Fox Television, Dana Walden, Gary Newman, Digital TV, Multiscreen, OTT, USA
Chips&Media launches 2nd generation VP9/HEVC decoder IP
Jul 11, 2016 – Chips&Media has announced that they have completed development of their 2nd generation VP9 and HEVC(H.265) multi-format Decoder IP - WAVE512 which is now available to customers.
News categories: Chips&Media, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Viu launches SVOD in Singapore with Singtel
Jul 8, 2016 – PCCW Media’s OTT video service, Viu, has launched its premium subscription service in Singapore with Singtel, the largest telecommunications company in Singapore, offering viewers unlimited downloads of their favourite content.
News categories: PCCW Media, Singtel, Janice Lee, Digital TV, OTT, Singapore
42 million digital media adaptors shipped in 2015
Jul 7, 2016 – Futuresource Consulting has published its latest digital media adaptor (DMA) report. 2015 saw worldwide shipments of 42 million units. 2020 is expected to see shipments of these dedicated video streaming devices exceed 63 million units.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, David Tett, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Singtel launches OTT video portal app
Jul 7, 2016 – Singtel has announced a way for consumers to enjoy their entertainment on-the-go with the launch of Cast, Singapore’s first OTT video portal app. Cast will offer thousands of hours of content from partners delivered over Singtel’s 4G network.
News categories: Singtel, Goh Seow Eng, Digital TV, Mobile, OTT, Singapore
HTC announces $10 billion VR-focused investor consortium
Jun 30, 2016 – HTC has announced the formation of the Virtual Reality Venture Capital Alliance (VRVCA), a consortium of venture capital firms who invest in the VR industry. The VRVCA members together represent well over $10 billion of investible capital.
News categories: HTC, Virtual Reality Venture Capital Alliance, Mr. Alvin W. Graylin, Digital TV, Venture Capital, VR, Worldwide
Australia sees strong SVOD growth
Jun 27, 2016 – Uptake of subscription video on demand (SVOD) services delivered over the Internet continues to run hot in Australia with 2.7 million active subscriptions expected by the end of June 2016, according to Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Australia, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers
Over 8 billion connected devices globally
Jun 10, 2016 – According to IHS (NYSE: IHS), as of year-end 2015, the world contained 8.1 billion connected smartphones, tablets, personal computers, TVs, TV-attached devices and audio devices - on average, four devices per household.
News categories: IHS, Merrick Kingston, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, Worldwide
- Comcast video subscribers down 4,000 in 2Q 2016
- Airtel Digital TV adds 424,000 subscribers in 2Q 2016
- Tricolor TV to deploy Eutelsat multiscreen video delivery service
- US cable operators conducting UHD trials with SES
- Time spent watching TV went up in Italy and France in 2015
- Verizon FIOS video subscribers down 41,000 in 2Q 2016
- EU accepts commitments by Paramount on cross-border pay-TV services
- Wurl launches the world’s first streaming cable TV network
- C Spire first to use MobiTV TV Everywhere platform
- Philippines' Sky Cable adds PPV to online offering
- DIRECTV up 342k; U-Verse down 391k; DTVLA up 87k subscribers in 2Q 2016
- Comcast unveils plans to roll out Xfinity prepaid services
- Rogers TV subscribers down 23,000 in 2Q 2016
- CAST introduces Ultra HD-capable video compression cores
- DISH Network TV subscribers decline 281,000 in Q2 2016
- Pay-TV and VOD revenues to hit €3bn in German-speaking territories
- Millicom cable RGUs up 41,000 in 2Q 2016
- 59% of U.S. households have an SVOD service
- TV display supply shortage could continue into Q3
- Rohde & Schwarz to install DVB-T2 network in Oman