Digital TV News: Google
Investment in original content paying off for Netflix and Amazon
Mar 20, 2017 – 451 Research has revealed the latest trends in consumer use of streaming services in its quarterly Voice of the Connected User Landscape (VoCUL) survey. Key findings include the increasing popularity of original content and a growing trend of paying for multiple video services.
News categories: 451 Research, Andy Golub, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Vimeo adds 360 video support
Mar 8, 2017 – Vimeo has introduced support for 360 video. Vimeo aims to provide a home for creators to learn new techniques, upload, share, and sell 360 videos, while viewers can discover 360 videos from the world’s best creators across multiple platforms.
News categories: Vimeo, Anjali Sud, Sara Poorsattar, Digital TV, OTT, VR, Worldwide
CNN debuts Virtual Reality unit
Mar 7, 2017 – CNN has announced the official launch of CNNVR – a new immersive journalism unit and virtual reality platform within CNN Digital. The global team will cover major news events in 360 video, transport users to the front row of global events through VR live streams, and produce weekly VR experiences.
News categories: CNN, Apps, Digital TV, Multiscreen, VR, Worldwide
YouTube announces YouTube TV
Feb 28, 2017 – YouTube has announced YouTube TV. It is live TV designed for the YouTube generation—those who want to watch what they want, when they want, how they want, without commitments.
News categories: YouTube, Digital TV, OTT, USA
Comcast to launch YouTube on Xfinity X1
Feb 27, 2017 – Comcast and Google have announced a deal that will launch the YouTube app on Xfinity X1 across the U.S. later this year. X1 customers will be able to access the entire YouTube catalog alongside their Xfinity TV subscription.
News categories: Comcast, YouTube, Sam Schwartz, Robert Kyncl, Cable TV, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
Feb 23, 2017 – CCS Insight's latest forecast for VR and AR devices reflects the relatively slow start to this nascent market. However, CCS Insight continues to believe the segment holds great potential and can deliver healthy growth over the next five years and beyond.
News categories: CCS Insight, Ben Wood, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
OTT content is driving demand for streaming media devices and smart TVs
Feb 23, 2017 – Growing preference for OTT content is catalyzing demand for streaming media devices and smart TVs. The market is now ready to match consumer expectations by offering seamless accessibility to on-demand content through a new generation of devices.
News categories: Frost and Sullivan, Avni Rambhia, V Aravindh, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
KAONMEDIA STB with AI home assistant deployed by Korea Telecom
Feb 22, 2017 – KAONMEDIA's AI-based TV set-top box has been successfully commercialized by Korea Telecom. GiGA Genie, an IP set-top box, provides home assistant and home IoT services alongside TV set-top box features.
News categories: KAONMEDIA, KT Corp, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Google dominates VR headset shipments
Feb 21, 2017 – 2016 saw the launch of multiple new VR platforms. Strategy Analytics estimates that over 30 million VR headsets shipped, split between 6 major competing VR platforms in an increasingly fragmented landscape.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David MacQueen, Cliff Raskind, Market Research, MWC17, VR, Worldwide
- Mstar integrates Irdeto Rights for China DRM Hardware Profile
- Taiwan's CNS selects ARRIS set-tops with DOCSIS
- Viaccess-Orca partners with Encoding.com for OTT media processing in the Cloud
- Amino unveils operator-focused Android TV 4K UHD STB at TVConnect
- Corpus Value Added Services added to Jiuzhou STBs
- Midco selects SeaChange next generation platform
- Deloitte releases 2017 Digital Democracy Survey
- comScore releases 2017 U.S. Cross-Platform Future in Focus report
- Sky Q introduces voice search and new personalisation features
- My-HD taps Conax for cloud-based content protection
- TVision Insights unveils Quarterly Attention Report for TV and OTT
- Vivacom to deliver DTT in Bulgaria via Intelsat 33e
- TeamCast supports VTC's transmitter upgrade to DVB-T2 in Vietnam
- Cogeco Connexion launches TiVo 4K service
- NexStreaming pre-integrates Jump Data-as-a-Service platform
- TDC selects Mariner xVu for TV service assurance
- 4KUNIVERSE selects Accedo for 4K SVOD on Amazon Fire TV
- Vimeo ups speed with Akamai Media Acceleration
- MENA's GOBX now secured by Irdeto
- HorizonSAT chooses Irdeto to secure MENA pay TV offering