Digital TV News: Google
DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
Mar 5, 2014 – DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) has announced that its DISH Anywhere™ app is now available for Kindle Fire HDX tablets. The app gives DISH customers the ability to watch live TV, DVR recordings and On Demand titles on-the-go.
News categories: DISH Network, Jimshade Chaudhari, Apps, Digital TV, Satellite, Tablet, TV Everywhere, USA
VP9 decoder available for Imagination PowerVR Series6 GPUs
Feb 25, 2014 – Imagination Technologies (IMG.L) has announced that a GPU accelerated VP9 software decoder for its PowerVR Series6 Rogue graphics processors (GPUs) is available from partner MulticoreWare.
News categories: Imagination Technologies, MulticoreWare, Peter McGuinness, Matt Frost, Media Player, MWC14, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
TiVo co-founders launch Qplay internet video curation box
Feb 25, 2014 – The co-founders of TiVo have launched Qplay. Qplay lets users curate Internet video across the web and enjoy personalized streams of content called Qs. Viewers just open the Q and video starts to play.
News categories: Qplay, Mike Ramsay, James Barton, Geoff Yang, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, USA
Accenture and KPN develop Google Glass proof of concept for TV use
Feb 23, 2014 – Accenture (NYSE: ACN) and KPN (NYSE: KPN) have developed a proof of concept using Google Glass and the Accenture Video Solution for interactive TV viewing, storage and control that has the potential to greatly enrich the TV user experience.
News categories: Accenture, KPN, Tom Loozen, Diederik Rosenbaum, Digital TV, Middleware, MWC14, Worldwide
Mobile video growth to continue to outpace viewing on connected CE
Feb 10, 2014 – Despite continued growth of online video viewing on connected CE devices and excitement from new platforms, annual increases in mobile online viewing are higher than any other category, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Sam Rosen, Michael Inouye, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Opera brings Blink-based SDK to Entropic RDK implementations
Feb 10, 2014 – Entropic (Nasdaq:ENTR) and Opera Software have announced their RDK (Reference Design Kit) collaboration using the OpenEmbedded core technology and the Yocto Project Linux development environment.
News categories: Entropic, Opera Software, Roger Gregory, Aneesh Rajaram, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Marvell joins forces with SK broadband to deploy IPTV STB with Google Services
Jan 15, 2014 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) has announced a collaboration with SK broadband (KOSDAQ: 033630), who have launched B TV Smart, an IPTV set-top-box with Google services for the Korean market. B TV Smart is powered by Marvell's ARMADA® 1500 Plus SoC.
News categories: Marvell, SK broadband, Winston Chen, In-Chan Lee, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
SFR launches Google Services STB powered by Marvell ARMADA 1500 Plus
Jan 14, 2014 – Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL) has announced that SFR has launched its hybrid set-top box powered by Marvell's ARMADA® 1500 Plus (88DE3108) system-on-chip (SoC) platform.
News categories: Marvell, SFR, Weili Dai, Frank Cadoret, Digital TV, France, IPTV, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Marvell launches quad-core ARMADA 1500 PRO Smart TV platform
Jan 7, 2014 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) has unveiled the ARMADA® 1500 PRO (88DE3114) a quad-core platform optimized to support Google services for Smart TV and IP-hybrid service security from Verimatrix.
News categories: Marvell, Verimatrix, Weili Dai, Petr Peterka, CES, Digital TV, DRM, ICs, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
- ALi ATSC SoC designed-in by Funai for Mexico STB
- Altech UEC manufactures 20 millionth set-top box
- Piksel OTT solution for Belgium's VRT
- Ecuador adds 443 thousand pay TV subscribers in 2013
- Belarus reaches 97.4% DTT coverage
- Sky Italia OTT TV to launch in two weeks
- DISH Anywhere now available on Amazon Kindle Fire HDX tablets
- Roku announces HDMI Roku Streaming Stick
- Philippines' CignalTV subscribers pass 600,000 in 2013
- Cable TV subscribers in Switzerland drop 57,600 in 2013
- Pace preliminary results for the year ended 31 December 2013
- Chunghwa Telecom launches TVs with MOD IPTV integrated
- ZTE ranked no. 1 in IPTV middleware, VOD and STBs
- DISH secures rights to Disney, ABC & ESPN content for OTT service
- CableLabs & Cisco open IPTV Innovations Lab
- Mobistar selects Viaccess-Orca CA to secure cable TV services
- FreeviewPlus for Australia unveiled
- Malawi issues tender for supply of DVB-T2 STBs
- Two-in-five Pay TV households to have STB apps by 2019
- České Radiokomunikace to extend DVB-T2 trial to cover Ultra HD