Digital TV News: HTC VIVE
HTC unveils 5G mobile smart hub
Feb 25, 2019 – HTC has unveiled its HTC 5G Hub, a dedicated 5G mobile smart hub. The device enables 4K video streaming, low-latency gaming, and 5G mobile hotspot features for up to 20 users. Carriers across the globe will offer the HTC 5G Hub.
News categories: HTC, Cher Wang, 5G, Australia, Finland, Germany, MWC19, Router, Switzerland, UK, USA
HTC VIVE evolves VR portfolio
Jan 7, 2019 – HTC VIVE has announced hardware, software, and content offerings that redefine how VR is experienced. VIVE Pro Eye sets a new standard for high-end VR headsets, VIVEPORT Infinity allows unlimited access to content, and VIVE COSMOS with Vive Reality System reimagines what's possible in VR.
News categories: HTC VIVE, Rikard Steiber, Daniel O'Brien, Drew Bamford, Jamie Leece, CES, VR, Worldwide
VR device market declines in 2018 but outlook remains positive
Dec 3, 2018 – Despite early enthusiasm and a continued expectation of significant long-term potential for the technology, CCS Insight believes there is still significant work to be done to improve the user experience, software platforms and content availability.
News categories: CCS Insight, Ben Wood, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Sharp decline in VR headset shipments in Q2 2018
Sep 5, 2018 – Worldwide shipments of virtual reality (VR) headsets were down 33.7% year over year in the second quarter of 2018 (2Q18), according to IDC. IDC expects this to be a temporary setback as the VR market finds its legs.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Tom Mainelli, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
CuriosityStream launches CuriosityStreamVR and CuriosityStream360°
Jul 9, 2018 – CuriosityStream is premiering Nefertari: Journey to Eternity, an immersive VR experience, available for the HTC Vive system. Interactive elements guide the user through the history, art, construction, and mythology of the fabled tomb.
News categories: CuriosityStream, Clint Stinchcomb, Jorge Franzini, Digital TV, USA, VR, Worldwide
VR/AR device market worth $1.8 billion in 2018
Apr 9, 2018 – According to CCS Insight the worldwide market for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) head-worn devices will grow by an average of 50% annually over the next five years. In 2022, a total of 121 million units will be sold.
News categories: CCS Insight, George Jijiashvili, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Telefónica presents its TV Virtual Experience project at MWC18
Feb 26, 2018 – At Mobile World Congress, Telefónica presented its TV Virtual Experience project, a way of watching TV based on virtual reality. The initiative capitalizes on the full potential of VR technology to access contents from Movistar+ and create 3D worlds.
News categories: Telefónica, Digital TV, MWC19, Spain, VR
CTA predicts record U.S. sales in 2018 for AR/VR
Jan 4, 2018 – Augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) technologies are positioned for record growth in 2018, according to the CTA. And the latest exhibitor update on CES 2018 shows a record-setting footprint for both AR and VR.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Karen Chupka, Mark Turner, CES, USA, VR
Amazon announces cloud development platform for AR/VR
Nov 27, 2017 – Amazon Web Services (AWS) [NASDAQ:AMZN], has announced Amazon Sumerian, a service that makes it easy for any developer to build Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), and 3D applications, and run them on mobile devices, head-mounted displays, digital signage, or web browsers.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, Marco Argenti, VR, Worldwide
- TELUS Home Assistant giving Optik TV customers hands-free voice control
- Amobee launches data marketplace for connected TV and multiscreen advertising
- Sky Media reveals power of addressable TV
- Charter agrees deal to distribute Disney streaming services
- Consolidated launches TV over Fiber-to-the-Premises in Columbia County, New York
- Global smart speaker sales grow 96% to 30.3 million in Q2 2019
- Comscore to provide measurement for Xandr's addressable offering
- CBS and Viacom to combine
- U.S. STB energy agreement savings top $5 billion
- GO Malta deploys Edgeware solutions for multiscreen TV
- Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost ~1.53 million subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Most smart speakers and video streamers are energy efficient
- Consolidated Communications launches CCiTV in Southern Maine
- HONOR Vision first smart screen device with Huawei's HarmonyOS
- Smart speakers with screens took off in 2018
- LG Uplus adds 92,000 IPTV subscribers in 2Q 2019
- Huawei launches HarmonyOS distributed operating system
- ZTE and China Mobile broadcast China's first 5G sporting event
- Singtel TV subscribers up 1,100 in 2Q 2019
- Deutsche Telekom MagentaTV subscribers up 58,000 in 2Q 2019